How to beat Garchomp in an Electric Mono Run: SOLVED!!!

Rahvin001

Hello, so I posted a while back to gather ideas and figure out if this was possible given the limited resources available at this point of the game, especially for an electric mono run. And since I myself just finished my own electric mono run of the game I thought I'd go back to finish the (via Pokemon Showdown) and see if this could be done. And in short, it is doable, albeit with a little bit of luck and some grinding.

First, the Chomp set: Solaris (Garchomp) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Rough Skin

Level: 75

EVs: 84 HP / 84 Atk / 84 Def / 84 SpA / 88 SpD / 84 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Rush

- Earthquake

- Fire Fang

- Stone Edge

Second, the team: Togedemaru

Ability: Sturdy

Level: 45

EVs: 1 HP / 1 Atk / 1 Def / 1 SpA / 1 SpD / 1 Spe

IVs: 15 HP / 0 Atk / 15 Def / 15 SpA / 15 SpD / 15 Spe

- Tickle

Togedemaru

- Tickle

Togedemaru

- Tickle

Togedemaru

- Tickle

Pachirisu @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pickup

IVs: 15 HP / 15 Def / 15 SpA / 15 SpD / 15 Spe

- Super Fang

Manectric @ Quick Claw

Ability: Static

EVs: 1 HP / 252 Atk / 1 Def / 1 SpA / 1 SpD / 1 Spe

- Ice Fang

The strategy is simple. Utilize Togedmaru's hidden ability Sturdy to land 4 Tickles (which lower target's attack and defense by 1 stage). Follow that up with a Focus Sashed Pacharisu with Super Fang to knock it down to 50%. Then finish it off with a Quick Claw Manetric using Ice Fang. Quick Claw has a 20% chance to give your mon priority so you will have to soft reset until Manetric is able to attack first, otherwise it will die to an earthquake regardless of how low Garchomp's attack is. I set the IVs for the mons to be 15, the EVs to be 1, and the natures to be Serious assuming that most players will have better IVs, EVs, and Natures that the low standard I set. The 252 EVs in Manectric's special attack are necessary to ensure that even with a low roll, Manetric will KO Garchomp.

Tools required:

You need to get two specific event pokemon that each have a 50% chance of spawning and there's no way to alter it. You need Pacharisu to spawn instead of Zigzagoon in Opal Ward. And you need a Minccino to spawn instead of an Espurr in Lower Peridot Ward. You need Minccino to breed the move Tickle which it learns naturally into 4 Togedmaru's which you can catch in Shade's gym. The Manectric's prevolution spawns in Obsidia Ward knowing one of a couple egg moves, one of which being Ice Fang. Soft resetting here allows you to roll until you catch the one with ice fang. You get Focus Sash in the crystal cavern with the jammin music from a rock and the quick claw somewhere in Onix Ward I think. And finally you have to EV train the Manetric for Attack. So after two coin flips, a couple soft-resets, breeding, grinding, and one good Quick Claw activation and you are ready to defeat Solaris!

Hope this post was remotely interesting. I set out to see if it was possible for an electric mono run to beat Solaris and I think I've succeeded with the help of suggestions from other great users here. Thanks and sorry for any spelling/grammar errors.

2 Comments
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veterans
14 minutes ago, Paperblade said:

I don't think you can get air balloons at this point

Air Balloons are sold on 4th floor iirc, which you can get to via the Apophyll sticker.