Fire Emblem on Forums: Annaquest: Thirteen Merchants in Search of a Payday (IC)

Blasbo

The day for Andy thus far is... not what he expected. Being able to do whatever, in addition to the wink, is making him wonder if the head Anna had truly meant something deeper than she intended to. He hadn't said anything, but nodded and simply stood there while trying to wrap his head around the statement. The contact rocks? Also intriguing, but since he was told to take one, he snags one and puts it into his pocket.

Then there was the bit of infighting that ended when Chance collapsed, and he was basically more confused than he was already.

ErJYsjz.png

"...Kinda glad I'm not getting too involved in that." He mumbles, looking over to Carnation again. "I was going to actually walk off to do whatever, but I suppose it'd be better to have someone keep an eye on Chance while you're busy with Anne, wouldn't it? I'll do that."

So yeah, this isn't quite the job he was expecting thus far, but maybe it'll work out yet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pyonchick.png

Hibiscus had been a little off to the side, observing to the side. She giggled, and smiled at their antics wishing her wyvern was there as well to see it. Gywn was stabled, resting and eating his favorite dish of caterpillars. It was strange for a wyvern to enjoy insects, but this one couldn't get enough. Hibiscus rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and yawned covering her mouth in a delicate and polite way. "You are all so energetic even this early in the morning. But if we don't do our jobs, we'll never get to our afternoon nap." She steps towards the table, pocketing one of the stones and taking a stack of flyers. "If anyone is willing to join me, I would love the company." Hibiscus flashes a warm and genuine smile.

Today, the tome at her side would be her only line of defense. She felt almost naked, being without her bow, but she was still in the process of making her new one. Standing off to the side, she listens to the instructions carefully, with an intent concentration. Even despite her best efforts, however, some of it still ends up garbled and missing her comprehension. When Anna dismisses them all cheerily, Ke resists the urge to sigh. This is what's commonplace for her now, after all, and she's already begun to acclimate to the language barrier. One would think they weren't even speaking the same tongue sometimes; the way people here strung their words together and pronounced them — sometimes it took her a few seconds before she could even figure one out, and by then it was too late to catch up.

Fortunately, this time, it wasn't too hard to figure out from context alone. The posters had to be put up around town. An unsure look on her face, she picks up a stack of them, looking over the extravagant colors and gaudy phrases. And then looking up and out across the paved streets, frowning at the thick bustle of morning foot traffic. Prior to a few months ago, she'd never seen even a fraction of this many people in one place.

Doing her best to shake off the trepidation, she turns to look at Janus, who seems as uneasy as she feels.

kenormal.png

"Together aren a bad idea... but I must talken?" She looks sheepish, blushing as how she's sure her manner would be perceived, as it already has been. "Sure not if that be well... soon as I openen my mouth, we would be stared. And may taken not even that long." She hasn't yet gotten around to changing her wardrobe much yet, as the idea of purchasing clothing is still odd, and she has no concept of adequate pricing, how to shop, or what she would be expected to wear in a culture like this.

Part of her almost wishes she had been assigned the part of the guard, like some of the other characters who are ponying around nearby. Then she might have been spared a potentially embarrassing trip through the streets.

Satomi rubbed her forehead. Right. They were already... doing all this. Perhaps she, Kyou, and Beverly should have signed on with a less insane group. But beggars can't be choosers. Because of course they were. So, right, flyers. Easy enough. A bit beneath the kind of thing she could do, like a flashy light show to draw attention or something, but she had been assigned a job and she would do it. 

Rc444Pr.png

"So... flyers, right?" she repeated, taking a stack as she confirmed that she had the job right. "Kyou, Beverly, want to come with? I think we can get the most effect if we put them in the places with the most foot traffic. Oh, and, uh-" What was her name, what was her name, she should remember her name- "Ke. You can come too if you want? That way one of us can do some talking, if you're not comfortable with it." She kinda understood that, she was always more interested in books than people herself. And also she was curious about the girl. But back on task - she was already going through the areas they'd seen in her head, figuring out which places people would frequent - crossroads, taverns, wells... she'd walked off without actually remembering to check if they were with her. 

While it wouldn't remotely stop Anne from lifting the tiny maid with relative ease, he had noticed she was strangely heavy for a girl around her size. lt'd be impossible to truly tell what it was but it was inconsistent and seemed to shift at odd intervals. It was if she was carrying a hundred or so tiny weighted object somewhere out of sight... was probably nothing in the scheme of things but it was certainly utterly strange. It was getting increasingly clear that she was out of it, as the weirdness just continued but less frequently. "Woaaaah, l'm flying!" were the words out of her mouth as she was lifted followed only by a bunch of incomprehensible whispering. By the time Anne had reached the hammock with her it had seemed she was finally coming at least somewhat out of her stupor of exhaustion. Here eyelid drooped, as she nearly began to fall asleep. Her body wanting to make up for the lost rest she'd be missing over the course of entire week of her obsessing over getting things spic and span for the current day. 

If there was anything that Carnation knew about Chance was that despite her numerous eccentricities that she was extremely dedicated to her work as a maid. Perhaps too dedicated as what was occurring was hardly a new development. She'd collapsed from exhaustion more than a handful of times before as she had a tendency to work through the night until whatever task she'd set her mind too was done to the point she was happy with it. She'd pursue her lofty goals of such to her own detriment time after time, learning some of her lesson but the full of it never quite sticking. She was dependable, and loyal to a fault even if she lashed back with her razor wit in protest she'd still do the task she was meant to do. She'd never once tried to fake illness, or the like to get out of work. ln fact that was the problem as she'd keep forcing herself to work in those states unless Miss Carnation explicitly forbade her from doing so. So what was happening easily had explanation, it just wasn't one that any person who wasn't familiar with the maid would understand at first glance.

Finally and securely in her hammock, something Carnation knew would help her to relax, her body deflated as she exhaled a deep breath. She calmed, for now, seemingly knocking out for the time being and getting some of the rest she desperately needed. 

Surprised to hear her name, she starts slightly before turning around to see one of the other women of the caravan looking at her. You can... come... too if you want. She tries to commit the word order to memory, and the strange lack of endings on some of them. She's nowhere near confident enough in her abilities to replicate the way people here talk, but maybe if she can at least learn it a little, in her head, then she'll be a little better off.

kepleasant.png

"Youve'n saved me," she says with a grateful smile, already feeling like a load is off her shoulders. Her demeanor has brightened too with glad surprise that some others here would think to include her. They seem more manageable than Anna and her siblings, as Ke understands them to be, at least.

"Janus, comen with? Neither us need talken now."

b26pkfO.png

Janus nods with a pleasant smile,  "Y-yea." The lad had gotten used to Ke's... interesting way of speech by now. Enough to at least discern what she's saying in a short amount of time. He grabs his set of fliers and stone, before shuffling back behind Ke. These people seem more down to earth so that's good at least. He'll just have to make sure he puts his fliers in extra good locations to not be a burden.

"Wow kid, already alone with four girls huh? You work fast don't you? Just make sure not to screw things up like I know you usually do."

"I said shut it!"

43ZXqvg.png

"Feeln't uncomfortable, Ke," Kyou said, slipping into the Ruins dialect for a moment. "Yourn't only one talken like this. And, stared be not worst thing to happenen. We're trying attracten attention, after all." She had to get up and go, anyway, so it's not as if it'd help her avoid the crowds if she didn't go with. Patting her tome to ensure the book was still secured where she wanted it, she moved over and grabbed another stack of fliers for herself. "Sounden as- uh, sounds like a good idea, Satomi." 

Beverly_t.png

"Really Inviting other people along...." Beverly mumbled under her breath. She wasn't a huge fan of having others along but at least that Ke girl was cute. "Sure I'll come along. Not like i have anything better to do and I probably can't just drop them well flying over the city." Beverly grumbled as she grabbed her stack of fliers. She hand't been expecting to be doing grunt work but hey pay is pay. Quickly taking to the front of the group Beverly would hand out most of her flier by just shoving them into peoples hands regardless of there willingness to actually take them.  

Hearing, for the first time in long months, someone speak something she could understand as easily as breathing brings a brilliant light to her eyes, and she immediately gives Kyou a glowing, if still modest, smile.

kesmile.png

"Your'n of the ruins!" she exclaims, forgetting quite completely about everything else around her. She hugs some of the flyers to her chest in excitement, accidentally crinkling them a bit.

kepleasant.png

"Id'n thought possibly so, but wanted not maken assumptions." She looks quickly over the other's clothing. "Would be'en rude if not so." She leaves Janus a bit in the dust as she hastens her step to follow along with the others, keeping abreast of Kyou. "Of where aren you?"

tPgMShi.png

"I'm of forested foothills. Lived withen family and nobody else, until. . ." Kyou went quiet for a moment. "Until not." A shadow passed over her expression, but she seemingly recovered from whatever it was after a moment. "Studied dragon ruins, would travelen to cities to sellen knowledge." 

As Anne stepped aside for their little talk, Anna was soon to follow, her arms crossed.

MlP3bCF.png

"Look, Anne. I know Cody's not very...personable, here. He's been working with me about ten months now, I know damn well he's not always great to have a conversation with. And I know you were just trying to make a good impression in your own, machismo way. But while you take that as a bit of playful banter a guy like him's gonna take that as a threat. Most people are gonna take 'prices aren't the only thing I can crack in half' as a threat. And that little crack you made after that was just plain a threat. Like, there's not many other ways to take that."

8HuWNKJ.png

She lets out a small sigh before leaning against the nearest wall. "I get it, okay? Some people in the family don't play nice with others easily. And I do appreciate the effort you're making with Chance. But while you're taking this job I'm gonna need you to adjust, and while you're adjusting I'm gonna need you to avoid threatening your co-workers. All right? You don't have to love absolutely everyone here, but I'd prefer you to not accidentally start a fight on the clock."

Anne, of course, still wasn't smiling anymore, and in fact did not seem to be receiving this very well. Though he did remain calm while he listened, it was clear he just wanted to be done and over the whole thing.

iEGghEs.png

"Alright, alright, I'll avoid the banter. You'd really have such little faith in me to actually start picking a fight? I guess it can be taken as a threat and all, but I'm not actually going to be starting fights. Just thought Cody needed to not be so, y'know... uptight. And know that I do have some confidence in my work and I'm very much allowed to have confidence in my work, especially if he's gonna be so confident in himself. Not everyone can have the patience of a saint for that kinda personality... but alright, I'll just leave the guy be as I was doing."

She'd contend that there's a bit of a difference between confidence and braggadocio, and she did mention that he didn't necessarily need to be best friends forever with Cody just so long as he refrained from starting fights, but she's not going to get into this right now with her little brother. Just so long as he gets the message, it's fine--she's got work to do, after all.

8HuWNKJ.png

"Sure, sure, that's fine. I didn't say you had to make friends, just avoid making enemies."

3EE4WFK.png

"That's basically what I wanted to talk with you about. Long as you get it, you can go ahead and get your job done." She gives him a few claps on the shoulder. "Would you mind keeping an eye on Chance too, make sure she's gonna be okay? She's got a bad habit of getting way to into her work so this kind of thing happens sometimes. I've tried talking with her about it, but it doesn't really seem to be working..."

Anne seemed to recoil a little with the claps on the shoulder, though it didn't seem to be out of distaste for his sister; just something internally that didn't really seem to matter much to him. Regardless, he managed to shake it off. As she mentioned Chance, he paused in thought for a second.

iEGghEs.png

"Hm... that'd be, er... the pink haired maid, right? The one on the hammock right now?..." 

Anne seemed a bit doubtful, but she seemed to like him enough and he'd know to not let his guard down around her in terms of flirtatiousness, so why not?

ZtV51d1.png

"Eh, sure, why not? Certainly can't be that hard, I imagine."

Anne said his famous last words take on the situation before his plucky demeanor seemed to return.

f4Q1SjT.png

"Yep, that's the one! Thank you...she's really valuable, you know." There's a slight pause before she continues on. "I mean, she's never asked for a raise once! Or...if she did, I don't remember it, or I chose not to. So, you know, I'd hate to lose her like that." There...might be something a little more beneath that, but who's to distrust an Anna when she says she's motivated by value and money?

YPuaNiF.png

"Of course...I know she's really cute, so it's not like you need extra motivation, buuuuut I'd be willing to see my way to giving you a little extra in your payday if you do a great job with it." She gives a small, sly wink--she of all people should know one of the quickest ways to her family's heart is through money. "Again, that's all I really wanted to talk with you about, so if you're ready go ahead and get to work."

While Camellia had almost walked off on her own, something made her stop and turn around. Mostly, the fact that most of the crew had chosen to go into groups. Or rather, one large group consisting of Satomi, Kyou, Beverly, Ke, and... That one weird guy, Janus she thought his name was? Yeah, Janus. Or was it Kanus? Regardless, they were all going together, and while she would be fine with heading off on her own, the idea of being part of a small group in a large city still was more appealing. Thankfully, there was one person who seemed open for someone to join them.

Anna.png

"Hey Hibiscus, I can come along with you. It's nice to have someone else to walk around with, right?" Anna greeted as she approached, rather quickly despite having almost been gone. 

XVKjLP7.png

"Oh god Ke, don't leave me like this." Great, he's basically just a fish out of water now. Well at least putting up fliers in noticeable places isn't that flashy. However he noticed thier oranges hair teammate just shoving fliers into people's arms. That's... not productive at all. Ugh, but should he confront her about it? He doesn't want to start something but that will definitely not bring the customers in. Well, it's now or never I guess. He walks up besides Beverly, tapping her on the shoulder a few times before politely saying

bUyyIbX.png 

"I don't think shoving fliers into people arms would be any good. I wouldn't even read a paper that was forced upon me. P-perhaps maybe you could hang them up or be a bit nicer about it?"

Anne gave a little nod. This Chance character certainly sounded like an Anna's best friend, not asking for a raise.

ZtV51d1.png

"Sounds like a fair deal to me."

Anne tried to not get similarly embarrassed as he did when Chance teased him back then when Anna brought up how cute she was, but he did raise his eyebrows quite a bit at the thought of an extra payday. Well, if he had to babysit her, he'd do it for the extra money, of course!

ZtV51d1.png

"Done and done- I'll make sure both this job and the little Chance job will be done lickety-split!"

Now refreshed, Anne began to move his way back to the main area.

pyonchick.png

"Mhmm, I agree fully dear." She clapped her hands together and smiled. "We will make a wonderful team I'm sure. Come let us get off to work." Hibiscus grabbed Camellia's hand, and pulled her along rather quickly. When she was sure that they were out of earshot of the others she turned to her potential partner in crime. "I'm actually very grateful you were the one that took up my offer, you see I'm of the idea that we should work smarter not harder." She cupped her cheeks on one hand, and closed her eyes as if falling asleep. "I truly do want to get this done as soon as possible, so I have an idea. With my Gwyn and your Mary we can overfly the city. When we find groups of people we can drop the fliers on them and be done quicker than all of the other groups." 

The mountain-dwelling, male member of the many mysterious merchants that were the Anna family suddenly saw a familiar scarred face pop into view, with a familiar smile — Anna Venus, holding a bag of (actually quite cold) water, and rapidly walking his way. Once she got up to him, she grinned wider at Anne and winked, extending the bag of water out to him.

6eL161Q.png

Hey Anne, why don’t you be the one to give this to her?

Satomi, while the rest of the party were either entirely caught up in their own conversation or stuffing fliers into people's hands, decided to take what she was as the best approach - nail the things wherever they'd fit in high traffic places. Crossroads, or next to wells, and a bunch next to anywhere selling alcohol. She did slip some lines into Ke and Kyou's conversation when she had a chance, though - it was interesting.

Rc444Pr.png

"From the Ruins, huh? I suspected, but wasn't all that sure. Not many people live there, and few of those leave it, from what I've heard. I barely even saw anyone besides bears when I was there." 

As Anne walked back, he was intercepted by Venus, who was holding a waterskin full of water. Upon her insistence, Anne looked mildly flustered. Was she trying to hook him up with the maid or something?

geDzBQ7.png

"Eh? Well, I..."

As if on cue, Anna's words to him came echoing back. Oh, right, there was money in taking care of this girl! What is he doing wasting an opportunity like this!?

UNLNgMg.png

"Think that's a good idea! Thanks, sis!" He says, quite gleefully taking the waterskin and hustling over to the sleeping maid. Okay... How was he gonna give this to her when she was out cold? Maybe she was just sleeping? Maybe he could try speaking.

UNLNgMg.png

"Ahem... Hey, wakey wakey, eggs and bakey! Good morning, sunshine! Who's thirsty? Are you thirsty? I think you are thirsty! Would you like some water? Just say the word and it's all yours, free of charge! Limited edition offer!"

Beverly_t.png

Turning around quickly Beverly looked at who ever was tapping her shoulder. At first Janus could see the look of disgust on her face which quickly turned into a frown as she looked at him. Despite him being taller she still manages to see as though shes looking down at him. "Why wouldn't you?" She crossed her arms "Its a cute girl giving you something tell you to go somewhere. I would think lots of people would want that. I know I would. Who knows what it could lead to." She said in a cocky attitude. 

bUyyIbX.png

Janus takes a step back after receiving the looks Beverly,  "I... guess...? All I'm saying is nice smile and a pleasant tone could go a long way." The boy shrugged. He spends a moment trying to think of a way to best explain what he means without offending her.  "Uhhhh.. Looks can only get you so far... and we're trying to attract as many customers as possible. I suspect you could even get a little bit of a bonus if you do well enough. So why not put a little smile into it." He started to mumble at the last part of his sentence.

"Oh my god! Just tell her to stop acting like a bitch and get this over with. This is painful to listen to."

"Nobody is asking you."