The best Ice Pokemon?

The Shady Dealer

Hi ya'll. I'm looking for the best Ice Pokemon in the game. When I say the best, I mean the overall strongest one: Stats, Moves, certin Items and Abilities are all factors.  The most important factor is the Second Type. Being able to use another type of moves is crucial, while having a defensive type (like Steel for example) is also insanely useful.

Do you have any recommendations?

While i am not quite sure about calling them the "best" ice Pokémon, i'd still go with Mamoswine and Cloyster.

Cloyster should be obviously going for its Skill Link ability, while learning the moves Icicle Spear, Twinneedle, Rock Blast and Shell Smash. As for items i'd go with Fokus Sash or White Herb.

This way you have a Pokémon with a nice coverage and some really hart hitting attacks that won a lot of matches for me.

Mamoswine has a decent move pool to pick from, but some obvious picks would be Earthquake and Icicle Crash. It can use moves like Knock Off, Stone Edge, Iron Head and Superpower. Or you pick something like Stealth Rock or Toxic for hazards. With its Thick Fat ability you can also reduce fire damage. Life Orb may be a decent item to pick. Rocky Helmet and Assault West are good alternative items, but Assault West makes the use of Stealth Rock or Toxic impossible.

Both Pokémon are heavy hitters on the physical attack side, and i used both of them on a regular basis in the past.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

While i am not quite sure about calling them the "best" ice Pokémon, i'd still go with Mamoswine and Cloyster.

Cloyster should be obviously going for its Skill Link ability, while learning the moves Icicle Spear, Twinneedle, Rock Blast and Shell Smash. As for items i'd go with Fokus Sash or White Herb.

This way you have a Pokémon with a nice coverage and some really hart hitting attacks that won a lot of matches for me.

Mamoswine has a decent move pool to pick from, but some obvious picks would be Earthquake and Icicle Crash. It can use moves like Knock Off, Stone Edge, Iron Head and Superpower. Or you pick something like Stealth Rock or Toxic for hazards. With its Thick Fat ability you can also reduce fire damage. Life Orb may be a decent item to pick. Rocky Helmet and Assault West are good alternative items, but Assault West makes the use of Stealth Rock or Toxic impossible.

Both Pokémon are heavy hitters on the physical attack side, and i used both of them on a regular basis in the past.

Interesting. I never tried either of them. I might give it a go. The Cloyster sounds deadly, but it has only 45 SPdefense.

Edited by The Shady Dealer

Mamoswine has a nice secondary type, Weavile just hits hard. Ninetales seems pretty good too. 

I forgot my favorite pokèmon: Lapras, he's tanky and has both special attacker and normal attacker capabilities. He's just so damn cool.

Edited by Angelo

Dragon Dance Lapras. I mean, not the best, but very fun to use.

Jokes aside, Mamoswine, Weavile, A-Ninetails, Cloyster are very good.

But when you say the best, it depends on what you need in your team. Do you need offense, utilities, speed? Many ice types can be useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Shady Dealer said:

Interesting. I never tried either of them. I might give it a go. The Cloyster sounds deadly, but it has only 45 SPdefense.

Yes, it has a rather low SpDef base value, but you won't go for that anyway. My Cloyster is a Jolly natured full Attack and Speed invested heavy hitter.

I usually tend to use it to force my opponent to switch his Pokémon after he beat my previous one. If he swaps his Mon, i get my free Shell Smash, if he doesn't, i will survive most attacks thanks to Focus Sash. Only multi hit attacks may be dangerous.

Either way, after one Shell Smash my Cloyster can easily outspeed almost anything that doesn't use a priority move. And with Icicle Spear, Twinneedle and Rock Blast at my disposal, if nothing hits super effective, at least one of them will provide neutral damage, with guaranteed 5 hits due to its Skill Link ability

2 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

Yes, it has a rather low SpDef base value, but you won't go for that anyway. My Cloyster is a Jolly natured full Attack and Speed invested heavy hitter.

I usually tend to use it to force my opponent to switch his Pokémon after he beat my previous one. If he swaps his Mon, i get my free Shell Smash, if he doesn't, i will survive most attacks thanks to Focus Sash. Only multi hit attacks may be dangerous.

Either way, after one Shell Smash my Cloyster can easily outspeed almost anything that doesn't use a priority move. And with Icicle Spear, Twinneedle and Rock Blast at my disposal, if nothing hits super effective, at least one of them will provide neutral damage, with guaranteed 5 hits due to its Skill Link ability

OK, I'm going for a Cloyster! The only problem is that Focus Sashes are limited as of now. Until then, I think I'll try an Alolan Ninetails with aurora veil.

1 minute ago, The Shady Dealer said:

OK, I'm going for a Cloyster! The only problem is that Focus Sashes are limited as of now. Until then, I think I'll try an Alolan Ninetails with aurora veil.

Do you have a White Herb? It recovers the Def and SpDef you lost after Shell Smash. Another good pick would be Weakness Policy.

Edited by ShogokiX

1 hour ago, ShogokiX said:

You could replace shell smash with an attacking move and run assault vest.

Ex: Icicle spear, liquidation, rock blast and ice shard

5 minutes ago, !!yxnT said:

You could replace shell smash with an attacking move and run assault vest.

Ex: Icicle spear, liquidation, rock blast and ice shard

Since using Shell Smash to boost Cloyster is the whole point of that build, it would be stupid to throw that one move away. But sure, feel free to try other movesets... Although i don't think it's worth to count on that low SpDef by using an Assault Vest...

Weavile came like a glove on my team. I needed something against Dragon and Flying, since Greninja can't learn Ice Beam so far and I don't like electric mons too much. Weavile has high Speed and Attack Stats (which are mandatory for me) and medium defenses. The problem is that both it's abilities, Pressure and PickPocket, are not really useful, maybe the latter for some battles but that's all. Overall it's a good offensive mon. 

Mine is Jolly, EVs in Attack and Speed and runs with: Hone Claws (level up), Ice Punch (Breed/Tutoring), Throat Chop (Breed/Tutoring). The last one is open for Toxic (I only won against Ditto-Arceus because of it), Brick Break, Poison Jab, X-Scissor and Fake Out, all depending on the situation.

Hope it helps. See ya~

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trufa said:

Weavile came like a glove on my team. I needed something against Dragon and Flying, since Greninja can't learn Ice Beam so far and I don't like electric mons too much. Weavile has high Speed and Attack Stats (which are mandatory for me) and medium defenses. The problem is that both it's abilities, Pressure and PickPocket, are not really useful, maybe the latter for some battles but that's all. Overall it's a good offensive mon. 

Mine is Jolly, EVs in Attack and Speed and runs with: Hone Claws (level up), Ice Punch (Breed/Tutoring), Throat Chop (Breed/Tutoring). The last one is open for Toxic (I only won against Ditto-Arceus because of it), Brick Break, Poison Jab, X-Scissor and Fake Out, all depending on the situation.

Hope it helps. See ya~

Knock Off is pretty useful too

so it really depends, which battle format gives you the most trouble.

For Singles:

Cloyster, Mamoswine, Weavile (Depending which secondary type complements your offensive best. To feedback your comment about a defensive Ice-type. Ice-type-Pokémon are historically bad at being defensive and a secondary type only adds to the plenty weaknesses. If you want a defensive Ice mon, there are 2 good mono-Ice options:

• Avalugg on the defensive side
  • Cryogonal on the SDef side

For Doubles:

A-Ninetales (100% Blizzard, Aurora Veil), no real alternatives regarding the “best“ Ice type.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Shady Dealer said:

@The Shady Dealercloyster with shell smash and skill link is a very powerful weapon to have my friend 🙂 Weavile is certainly a one hot ko mon at times I use two varients both of Jolly natures - Life orber ( hone claws, ice punch/ icicle clash, knock off  and either fake out or poison jab or ice shard) or trusty choice bander- ice shard, ice punch/ icicle crash, knock off( Kills anything which doesnt resist) and pursuit or poison jab for them pesky fairies. I really wish that weavile would be able to learn a psychich type move in the future to rid fighting mons which is its worst enemy.

I would honestly recommend you trying a shell smash cloyster because you will have fun with it and love it like your lil pet :')  I wrecked havock at ou and uu tiers at smogon- I used shell smash, icicle spear, hydro pump or the physical water move, rock smash or explosion( with normalium z)

alolan ninetails would be a really good choice as a support/ spl atacker as it has really good spd and speed. Being a hailer go with a timid typing- 248 hp/ 8 SpA/ 252 Speed. ( go with either nasty plot or toxic or hypnosis/  aurora veil/ freeze dry or Blizzard/ dazzling gleam or blizzard or HP fire) you can dent or destroy a lot of mons with a nasty plot varient.

If  you want a mega evo ice type DO NOT go with Abomasnow xD too many weaknesses- go with a mega galalie- decent speed and good attack/ SpA stat go with  return, explosion, double team/ spikes , crunch if ya have to) or bulldoze for rock types but I dont think you will be able to oko them soo its better you have double team so the stone 'miss' sorry edge can miss even more xD 

I dont think you would try this out but this guy known ans Avalugg is A physical tank! with a whoping 184 physical defense stat!!! it has the hardest of chins and can never be knocked out by someone who isn't set up-  impish nature- 252 hp/ 168 def/ 88 atk should be enough to get the job done unless you invest 252 in defense for toxic varient - toxic roarer ( A risky set needs stealth rocks or spikes to be set up)- Toxic, roar, recover, iron defense or protect or rapid spin could be used for the fourth spot. WARNING IF you are TAUNTED THEN ITS GG xD. If you are going with a slightly attacking type- recover, curse/ iron defense/ rapid spin(if you wanna go for a bit more utility)/ double team, bulldoze for fire types or rock tomb for flying types and charizard, avalanche. both sets use rocky helmet and sturdy variants :')  

another tricky mon to use is junx- timid 252 Spa and Speed- life orber I call her kiss of death cause if she gets the kiss its goodbye (Focus blast/ lovely kiss, nasty plot, ice beam, psyshock) or normalium z whih increases speed by a stage if you use sweet kiss ( Lovely kiss, Nasty plot, ice beam, psyshock)

I like Froslass as a pokemon and can be usefull in a monorun 😛 if you gonna run with a hailer in your team you can go for snow cloak- ( double team, will-o-wisp, hex, spikes/destiny bond)  this is one irritating mon to have too trust me :') 

Yes I Did not give mamsoswine- I dun like it :'D 

Sheiiitee Son!!! all this typing makes me wanna go for an ice type monorun LoooL 

• Like 1