Rain Surge Team OU-

Eigengrau

Soo I have recently tried something new in the ou tier as I had been languishing in the lower places of the ladder, this team uses rain setups along with Tapu Koko's Electric surge:-

Pelipper @ Damp Rock  
Ability: Drizzle  
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Scald  
- Hurricane  
- Roost  
- Defog

Swampert @ Swampertite  
Ability: Damp  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Waterfall  
- Earthquake  
- Ice Punch  
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Volt Switch  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Roost

Raichu-Alola @ Wiki Berry  
Ability: Surge Surfer  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Nasty Plot  
- Thunder  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Psyshock

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed  
Ability: Unburden  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Acrobatics  
- Swords Dance  
- High Jump Kick  
- Roost

Zeraora @ Life Orb  
Ability: Volt Absorb  
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Bulk Up  
- Plasma Fists  
- Close Combat  
- Grass Knot

I have so far managed to surprise and if I must add 'Shock'! the other players with this strategy. winning around 30 games and losing only 2 or 3.
I start off always with my trusty pelipper who makes it rain and spam hurricane or defog if they are using set ups.
the next step depends on the mons they bring out if they dont disturb the weather I use my mega swapert and damage the opposition. I tank the team with the swampert and give it away after causing as much damage as possible. I then release my trusty pelliper once again and then my tapu koko and then my alolan raichu- nasty plot with hp ice or 100 percent thunder (if rain) just sweeps the opposition OR if i want to go with the physical sweep I release me hawlucha and with a sword dance if I am allowed to do it you can ez sweep the opposition. even ferrathorn gets ohko with an acrobatics with a sword dance on :') 

I have come across my fair share of problems but have managed to avoid them as much as possible- 
  1. Other weather changers which is usually mega tyranitar which is irritating because a normal tyranitar will  have sandstream to negate my rain and if I try switching in the pelipper again the mega evolution kicks in and changes the weather once again and gives the tyranitar user  a free DD setup. (got swept away by this once horribly 😞 )
  2. Mmega charizard Y with the ability drought has tried to hinder my progress but the number of electric mons in the team scares it away or kills it before it can do much harm.
  3. Status spreaders- these toxic setters havent really done much to hinder my progress I guess it was just down to lucky guessing but status ailment spreaders can do a lot of trouble if you dont have healers in the team.

I guess this kinda covers many bases in the team hp ice takes care of the landerous and garchomps

having faster mons helps outspeed most of the threats in the tier except lopunny having hawlucha takes care of lops with off course unburden being activated. heatran gets absolutely smashed by hawlucha and Zeraora, crushed by earthquake or doused by peli. I used to run zeraora with a knock off before I replaced it with a grass knot. I guess having no coverage dark moves does try to 'bite' me sometimes and Tapu  Lele might cause a bit of a problem due to not having any poison or ghost moves in the coverage but I have had my swampert or zeraora take care of it luckily at times.

Soooo I am open to any suggestions to help me buld a stronger team 🙂 . I am having loads of fun with this Rain Surge team  and you can try it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Rain in general is easy and effective to use in gen7. I would only suggest 2 things to change, U-Turn on Pelipper over Hurricane and Ferrotjorn over Zeraora.

U-Turn is no brain for Peli since it gives huge momentum and can perserve your weather set up easier.

Ferro gives the team some sort of defensive backbone and is easily the best switch in for Rotom-W which is the most annoying pokemon against rain teams. Ferro also deals with opposing rain.

Last I could also suggest run Surf on Raichu over HP Ice since it can also hit Ttar, Mega Camerupt on TR teams, Hippowdon and Excadrill while also getting a big hit on Lando and Gliscor but missing SE hit against Dragons. Also Wiki Berry isn't that helpfull since A-Raichu is too frail so you can either try Life Orb for overall more damage or Psychium-Z to get a nuke and a way to hit on the special defence on physical defensive pokemon that don't care about your other moves.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2019 at 4:17 PM, pyrromanis said:

Rain in general is easy and effective to use in gen7. I would only suggest 2 things to change, U-Turn on Pelipper over Hurricane and Ferrotjorn over Zeraora.

U-Turn is no brain for Peli since it gives huge momentum and can perserve your weather set up easier.

Ferro gives the team some sort of defensive backbone and is easily the best switch in for Rotom-W which is the most annoying pokemon against rain teams. Ferro also deals with opposing rain.

Last I could also suggest run Surf on Raichu over HP Ice since it can also hit Ttar, Mega Camerupt on TR teams, Hippowdon and Excadrill while also getting a big hit on Lando and Gliscor but missing SE hit against Dragons. Also Wiki Berry isn't that helpfull since A-Raichu is too frail so you can either try Life Orb for overall more damage or Psychium-Z to get a nuke and a way to hit on the special defence on physical defensive pokemon that don't care about your other moves.

thanks a lot for this 😄 really helpful