Meta theory

Cyphre

So, i've been thinking that as weird for quite some time now, since the v11 release moment, but now, when v12 is actually coming, i've decided to share my thoughts. There is one thing that striked me as particularly odd and unusual in the episode, and this was the Crescent room. Why did she have protagonists portraits that dont even exist anymore? How an in-game character could have this knowledge? Is it just a nod to the previous versions of the game or something much more?

Well, i believe it IS much more. I have a theory that every version of the game thus far was an alternate universe, in which Crescent failed to accomplish her mission, which is still unknown, but is heavily implied that she wants to save either MC, or the children spirits or whatever that resides in him from the repetition of their fate. So while Madame X seems like a being that acts in accordance to the laws of the universe and can jump the timelines, it seems that Crescent got the power to travel the metaverse to an extent, probably going on equal with the being that controls Spacea and Tiempa. And yes, i do believe those 2 are also as limited to Madame X, being able to jump the timelines and known universe, but not going beyond. 

So in the end, i think there are at least 3 characters at this point that definetly have this power to go beyond the timelines. Time duo boss, Crescent, and The Interceptor, i.e. us, the player. I question the extent of the Puppet Master limits, but thinking this over, so far i think he knows about Metaverse travelling (will call it that for now) but knows he is confined to this reality, much like Sans knew about it in Undertale, but couldnt do much about it (just a good well known example). 

But hey, it's just a theory. Just an interesting thought, so please discuss. 

• Like 1

Metaverse reminds me of Persona lol. But all jokes aside, I agree with your theory seeing as Crescent tends to be motherly to us, but more ruthless and manipulative to others whenever we are involved in dangerous situations such as Team Xen. For example, when we were in the past at that mansion, some of the MC’s repressed memories were exposed saying “I love you all, we were suppose to be together forever”. I’m assuming those memories are of a dark past (good at the beginning) where the MC lost everything and is trying to suppress their memories of that dark past, and is very possible that Crescent is aware of this and tried to make the MC forget these memories in order to protect them. She might know that we are interceptor, but doesn’t want us to repeat what happened in the past that made us have repressed memories and is trying to keep anyone who may be involved with Team Xen or anyone or anything else that may appear life threatening. This is just me and my opinion. 

Crescent really does act like a Mother, a manipulative, cold, and brutally pragmatic Mother, but a Mother nonetheless. I must wonder, why exactly if protecting us is her mission, why she doesn't just up front tell us? Or take a more forceful approach in not letting us adventure? Regarding this theory, If Crescent can jump across dimensions/timelines, then what happens to the Crescents of THAT timeline? Regarding the Portraits, here's the real eerie thing, is that a painting or is it a photograph? If it's a photograph, then we must have been in the same room as the other PC at some point, the implications are not pleasant. 

Edited by Magus543

I find it interesting since I agree Crescent seemingly acts like a "mother" of sorts to the MC (Still have to see her kidnapping the MC just to keep them safe) but the idea of different versions being Different universes/dimensions doesn't seem very plausible inside one big plot because it would be possible for one single character/player to play/have played the same playthrough from the earliest version.

Not sure why you all just started thinking about her as motherly, i've never had this idea nor even indulged in that thought process. My post here was about her operating beyond the laws of a singular universe, going beyond timelines and being able to cross over versions of the game. What are you even talking about. 

Because she acted to the MC completely different from the rest trying to save them from the plot (even from death!) and asking hem to live a peaceful life far away from their friends. Her despising Nancy would have been for being able to act like our mother. But the fact is that, mother or not, Crescent treats the Interceptor much different from the other ones. 

5 hours ago, Kite Silvers said:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoisonousFriend

I'd say this fits Crescent nicely. Given how the Prophecy of Light is worded, however, I somewhat doubt her to be the "mother" of the MC. Unless, of course, the Interceptor is not in fact one of the "four Lights not born of Man".

Funny, i did add that to her Character page. 

3 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Not sure why you all just started thinking about her as motherly, i've never had this idea nor even indulged in that thought process. My post here was about her operating beyond the laws of a singular universe, going beyond timelines and being able to cross over versions of the game. What are you even talking about. 

Well the Mother aspect of Crescent is ripe for speculation and would serve to humanize her. Anyway, back to this, in a way, this sort of ties into the trading aspect of pokemon, where your pokemon can transfer between games, though ironically Rejuv won't have trading. Though i do have a problem with this theory, assuming she really is jumping in between timelines, she would know EXACTLY what we would do such as being in Goldenwood because of Jenner, trying to save Nim ETC, so why so doesn't try to change events more because she should know what would happen. And again, i'm most curious as to who the other PCs are to us, and if those souls in our head know who they are.  Also if she does jump, that would mean there are multiple Crescents native to each dimension, wouldn't i?

Edited by Magus543

2 hours ago, Magus543 said:

Funny, i did add that to her Character page. 

Well the Mother aspect of Crescent is ripe for speculation and would serve to humanize her. Anyway, back to this, in a way, this sort of ties into the trading aspect of pokemon, where your pokemon can transfer between games, though ironically Rejuv won't have trading. Though i do have a problem with this theory, assuming she really is jumping in between timelines, she would know EXACTLY what we would do such as being in Goldenwood because of Jenner, trying to save Nim ETC, so why so doesn't try to change events more because she should know what would happen. And again, i'm most curious as to who the other PCs are to us, and if those souls in our head know who they are.  Also if she does jump, that would mean there are multiple Crescents native to each dimension, wouldn't i?

Keep in mind that the Interceptor exists outside of Fate and has a major role in about everything that happens in Aevium. Their influence changed history multiple times and, judging by Surfer Guy's words, nothing is set in stone anymore. So having the knowledge of multiple timelines, while useful, shouldn't be enough with the MC around. Maybe that's why Crescent is so insistent in wanting them out of the way.

3 hours ago, Magus543 said:

Considering multiple Crescents, they might work like with local timelines, the weaker one gets absorbed and thats it. 

Well, we are the interceptor, and on every playthrough we kinda do different things, so she probably cant know what are WE gonna do, and the same is with the time boss. This is why she is reluctant to change much and is looking for a way to actually save us. 

But yeah, i dont have much to go on, except the Crescent room. 

23 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Considering multiple Crescents, they might work like with local timelines, the weaker one gets absorbed and thats it. 

Well, we are the interceptor, and on every playthrough we kinda do different things, so she probably cant know what are WE gonna do, and the same is with the time boss. This is why she is reluctant to change much and is looking for a way to actually save us. 

But yeah, i dont have much to go on, except the Crescent room. 

We do different things, but the destination is still the same, i mean hypothetically speaking, Crescent should be able to at least know where we are heading and what we are going to do.  Come to think if it, if you look closely at her dialogue in purgatory, it seems that she has some shock at us constantly disobeying her which would imply that this is the first time Rejuvenation's story is happening, but then she mentions us forgetting again, which implies a cycle of sorts like what you are suggesting. It is interesting to note, is that along with the group photo, there are individual photos of each PC which would really give your theory a boost as it implies an individual universe. Though again, given under your theory Crescent has failed repeatedly and she jumps, it begs the question as to why she doesn't interfere more forcefully.

And another thing to note, is that Crescent doesn't appear during the bad future, it appears she doesn't have any time macguffin, which is quite a problem in your theory if she can jump between timelines. 

But she didnt have any need to appear during the bad future, we kinda fix this problem on our own. I just think it's worth considering as an option at least, im really interested where Jan leads this plot and if he can make time travelling actually work. 

Plus. The Bad Future was Melia's arc, as in, her decision about Vivian, her character development... The Interceptor was there mainly for support/firepower so crescent had nothing to do there. 

Imagine the bad future without us/The Interceptor there and we just controlled Melia. That would have just given that timeline a whole new meaning. Melia by herself thinking about how she technically killed every single one of her friends and the only one left from her old world that she knows is Madame X her greatest enemy. Ah, that would simultaneously be amazing and horrible. Works out better how it goes with the game with The Interceptor being there but still the thought of that is amazing.

10 hours ago, Cyphre said:

But she didnt have any need to appear during the bad future, we kinda fix this problem on our own. I just think it's worth considering as an option at least, im really interested where Jan leads this plot and if he can make time travelling actually work. 

Isn't one of Crescent's main goals trying to prevent some sort of disaster, presumably the one Team Xen is trying to do? Plus Madame X showed up, and she's clearly a time traveler with her own time travel macguffin, albeit unwillingly, considering Madame X was pulled into the future. So if Madame X was forced into the bad future, shouldn't Crescent at least have been pulled into the bad future assuming she's also a time traveler? i mean she should at least have a time amulet. If you recall, Crescent in the nightmare city, keeps muttering ''not much time left'' so despite her considerable power, she hasn't displayed any form of time travel aside from being a rogue member of Spacea and Tiempa's group, she does have dimensional abilities as she brings Ren to her office which is a sort of pocket dimension, and Crescent is most likely apprentice Nim's trainer who can also bring people to a pocket dimension. 

May i plug in my theory regarding the portrait? If you recall our breakdown after being called Adrest and going to that house, it appears we used to have a large group of friends, and the one we picked, is the one who survived whatever catastrophe happened, storm 9 or otherwise, i mean we know there are multiple souls in our body. It could be Crescent was a member of our friends, the other PC's were our friends, something bad happened and then present day. Lastly i would like to add that the house were we collapsed was near a cliff overlooking the sea, the purgatory we went to was a house near a cliff overlooking the sea, and Crescent mentions we used to live there in peace.

I do apologize for the plug as it may derail discussion, but one must play with multiple choice options in solving a mystery sometimes.