Crawli is the Absolute Worst Gym Leader

(Sorry for long rant TL;DR at bottom)

Pokemon Rejuvenation is plaugued by awful gym battles. Whenever I face a gym leader I feel nothing but dread. A good number gym battle consists of endlessly resetting as a single loss in momentum means they sweep your team with their loaded Pokemon. Leftovers, type berries, and more while your sporting mystic water that has been relative to the meta game never. Don’t get me wrong their are some legitimately amazing battles like Narcissica, Venam, and Keta that hit it out of the park. However their are some duds which brings me to Crawli.

Story: Yes gym battles should be judged on story as well. The build up and battle to save goldenleaf and Keta’s soul was top notch and a great motivator to fight. In Crawli’s case it’s the start of Rejuvenation’s story glut where we do an endless series of errands. While in the meantime Geara, Zetta, and Jenner play cards with Nims lifeless body wondering about how that hostage situation they started is going.  Nothing is more frustrating then being sent to boot camp as the tension slowly but surely fades away. Not to mention we’ve fought Crawli before so it feels rehashed and nothing new is brought to the table other the  urge to gouge my eyes out. It’s not a fight we care about winning or have any investment in Crawli is just a glorified roadblock.

Gameplay: One word to sum up Crawli’s battle would be unfair plain and simple. This battle is worse then Valerie and her sudden inexplicable downpour. Not only is it raining (which happens again with Flor which pisses me off to no end) but Crawli’s team is engineered to make you tear your hair out. The terrain buffs them and gives them even more coverage with trees falling left and right smiting my water types. His Pokémon are all good with no real weaknesses but the worst are Goliscipod and Ariodos. With the latter Crawli just cheats and gives the Ariodos an instant attack buff and an overpowered TOTAL IMMUNITY TO ALL ATTACKS ON THE FIRST TURN. Have fun with instant sticky webs you have no way to counter. Then Golicipod is just plain powerful with a nasty first impression that acts with priority and can cut your team to shreds. The rest of his team is not quite as strong but they give you no slack with their ridiculous type coverage. Add in a moxie Pinsed that will sweep your entire team if you give Crawli an inch and you have a recipe for pain. Overall frustrating to deal with the cheating on top of a top tier team that didn't need it to wreck my team

TL;DR Crawli is by far the most unfair and unfun bosses in Rejuvenation. From cheating to stacking  the odds against you it is a chore to battle Crawli.

Just needed to get this off of my chest after trying and failing to beat him with three Pokémon that should be slaughtering but are instead continually getting massacred.

I uh... I beat Crawli my second try. Just get a good fire type and then a Lycanroc with Rock Slide will wipe the floor with him after the fire type faints. Also you can like change the field. The advice Jan gives you is quite helpful if used correctly.

I think you shouldn't look how bad the fight is but what is wrong with your pokemon and how you could improve your team. If a fight is there, it's beatable it's always about the pokemon you use and how well they are trained. If you are a casual player, changing difficulty to easy should be your option, too.

Lets not get crazy with "git gud" comments, depending on the team used by the player until that moment, Crawli can easily be THE strongest rejuvenation gym leader. He is definetly in top3 people usually refer to as utterly broken, for good reason too, since there is an absolutely ludicrous amount of shit that tilts the fight in his favor. 

To the topic starter, however, you most likely used the single team for everything up until this point, which is fine, but Rejuvenation kinda discourage this sometimes, and to be fair, you can kinda-sorta train different pokemons fairly fast with Audino trainers and training centers. Take a break, think what can be done with this, maybe train a few additional members to specifically counter the things that plagues your existense. Sometimes its a matter of 1-2 pokemon entirely cockblocking your win, and you can pass by this by just cockblocking the cockblocker. 

If you absolutely cant win no matter what, post your team here, we will try to help. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you don't change weather you know fire types are out of the equation. But there are more types strong against bugs. I recall having a Lycanroc help me, as it's fast and hits good and very effective. You can also consider flying Pokémon (beware of air slash, which cuts the trees), and, well, have patience. I have been where you are a lot in Reborn/Rejuvenation, and yes, it's doable. 

EV training is quite easy to do as well in this game. Even if you don't know how to EV train a certain Pokemon you can just go to google, type in the Pokemon's name and then add "Smogon" and then it'll tell you exactly how to EV train said Pokemon, what nature would be best, what ability they should have, and what item they should hold. And if you don't feel like spending that much time grinding up the EV's then you can just download the Rejuvenation modpack, go into your debug menu for Pokemon, and then just give yourself the EV's instantly. Whether or not this is cheating is up to you though if you have the EV training rooms unlocked I'd call it saving time.

Or just, switch the difficulty to Casual if it really gets too much and you want to experience the story more instead. 

Also, no, Flora/Florin is still annoying on Casual lol. 

Flora used to be an absolute joke, but then ep 11 came around and she's stupid now. Her mega Venusaur ohko'd my bisharp with giga drain. Like honestly what kind of horseshit is that? I'm pretty good at labbing out strategies to cheese ai's, but it still took me like 6 tries. And don't even get me started on Adam. I would have been completely fine if they just gave him a cave, but nooooooooo. He has to have an inverse battle setup that also gets rid of the physical/special split so most of your team might be useless now if you're unlucky. Also can someone please tell me how this asshole knew to put a synthetic seed on his t-tar despite the battlefield supposedly being chosen at random? Idk maybe Adam actually isn't that hard but on my first playthrough, most of my team had a type advantage against rock so when the inverse battle field came along, all of my hopes and dreams for an easy gym battle were immediately anhilated.

Only trouble I remember having with Flora was her first Pokemon with it spamming grass whistle. Then I somehow managed to beat her my first try just by having all the correct Pokemon to do so. And that was on intense mode.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:10 AM, ZappoNinja said:

I uh... I beat Crawli my second try. Just get a good fire type and then a Lycanroc with Rock Slide will wipe the floor with him after the fire type faints. Also you can like change the field. The advice Jan gives you is quite helpful if used correctly.

Git Gud isn't helpful advice and this doesn’t change the fact that Crawli looks like he robbed a hospital with the amount of cructhes he’s packing.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:17 AM, ZappoNinja said:

EV training is quite easy to do as well in this game. Even if you don't know how to EV train a certain Pokemon you can just go to google, type in the Pokemon's name and then add "Smogon" and then it'll tell you exactly how to EV train said Pokemon, what nature would be best, what ability they should have, and what item they should hold. And if you don't feel like spending that much time grinding up the EV's then you can just download the Rejuvenation modpack, go into your debug menu for Pokemon, and then just give yourself the EV's instantly. Whether or not this is cheating is up to you though if you have the EV training rooms unlocked I'd call it saving time.

This is not helpful advice. Unless theirs an Ev resented I missed Ev training is impossible as my Pokémon are maxed. If your best advice is cheat and bring myself down to Crawlis level or torture my self with Ev training it’s not good advice.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:51 AM, Sinkaio said:

Or just, switch the difficulty to Casual if it really gets too much and you want to experience the story more instead. 

Also, no, Flora/Florin is still annoying on Casual lol. 

No. On casual I sweep his entire team and it’s not fun. Rejuvenation’s way too easy on casual with how gimped the trainers are.

I know I’m going to beat Crawli that’s not the point of this post. Through trial and error or just grinding up box fodder Pokémon I’m going to win that’s not the problem.

The issue here is that Crawli on a fundamental level is a terrible gym leader. He cheats which ruins the entries battle along with plenty of other ridiculous terrain advantages. His gameplay, story, and puzzle are below subpar. It feels like the only reason your not crushing him is how stupid it’s stacked against you. Even the story backs this up with him getting crushed by Nastasia without his precious terrain. Compared to the other leaders he’s just not a fun leader to fight. And I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

I just figured I would use flying types and it worked but he was still VERY hard on intense.... Meanwhile some other gym leaders *looking at you Amber* are total pushovers on intense...

How'd you beat Amber on intense? I always found her battle easy until I got to the Magmortar where it proceeded to outspeed and one shot everything. Until I saved my Meowstic to use light screen right before I sent the rest of my Pokemon out against it. But still, Magmortar was terrifying I must say.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:47 AM, Malfeasance said:

One word to sum up Crawli’s battle would be unfair plain and simple. This battle is worse then Valerie and her sudden inexplicable downpour. Not only is it raining (which happens again with Flor which pisses me off to no end) but Crawli’s team is engineered to make you tear your hair out. The terrain buffs them and gives them even more coverage with trees falling left and right smiting my water types.

There are multiple ways to get around the terrain/weather.

You can completely shut down his buffs for a couple of turns by setting up Electric Terrain. Togedemaru is perfect for this because it learns Electric Terrain by level up and it's available around the time you fight Crawli. Steel typing and Sturdy allow it to resist Crawli's attacks while you set up the terrain. Make sure to pack a bunch of strong electric types as well if you decide to go this route. A-Raichu is perfect in this scenario, as Surge Surfer doubles his speed thanks to the terrain and many of Crawli's Pokemon are weak to (or at least don't resist) Thunderbolt.

What's great about this, also, is that without the field being around, Water types don't take supereffective damage from his attacks anymore, AND Surf gets a boost in power, so you can still bring in those bulky beasts to tank hits and do some serious damage with Surf.

You could also just bring a speedy Pokemon that knows Sunny Day and turn it into a Rainbow Field, then sweep him with boosted, supereffective Fire moves, or even boosted Water moves. What I ended up doing was knocking out his Galvantula, then bringing in my Castform (who was not aggressively EV trained, but was at the level cap) and Lycanroc. He was so focused on hitting my Lycanroc with his Heracross and Ariados that I was able to set up Sunny Day with Castform, then sweep him with my Talonflame and Weather Ball Roserade.

His Pokémon are all good with no real weaknesses but the worst are Goliscipod and Ariodos.

Ariados is a a sneaky little shit with an overpowered seed, but is otherwise very slow and frail. Bring something in to sponge a hit first turn, then OHKO it with a supereffective move. Like many people have said, Lycanroc really shines in this Gym with Rock Slide and priority Accelerock

With the latter Crawli just cheats and gives the Ariodos an instant attack buff and an overpowered TOTAL IMMUNITY TO ALL ATTACKS ON THE FIRST TURN. Have fun with instant sticky webs you have no way to counter.

Wide Guard is your friend in this fight. Mantine learns this move at level 23. Truth be told, Mantine is pretty good for this fight in general, given its overall bulk.

Then Golicipod is just plain powerful with a nasty first impression that acts with priority and can cut your team to shreds. 

It's a good 'mon, but not without weaknesses. Flying types and physically bulky Water/Steel types will take minimal damage from First Impression, then fire back with for decent damage. Fast, specially offensive Pokemon can destroy this thing pretty easily, or at least active its Emergency Exit and temporarily knock it out of the battle so you can heal/regroup.

The rest of his team is not quite as strong but they give you no slack with their ridiculous type coverage. Add in a moxie Pinsed that will sweep your entire team if you give Crawli an inch and you have a recipe for pain.

His coverage isn't all that great once you realize that he has a huge flying weakness. And while he tries to mitigate this by slapping Rock Slide on a bunch of his 'mons, it's still very easy to exploit. Talonflame (Gale Wings + Brave Bird), Crobat (Brave Bird + high speed), Noivern (high speed + special attack + 100% accurate Hurricanes), and Yanmega (Speed Boost + high Special Attack + it is buffed by the field) are all really good Flying types you can get at this point that can completely destroy Crawli since they can all outspeed his team and deal supereffective damage.

Also, his team relies on the rain/field to work, so you can pretty much cripple him by changing the terrain. None of his Pokemon resist Electric, and only Araquanid resists Fire, but it has easily exploitable weaknesses of its own.

Crawli is by far the most unfair and unfun bosses in Rejuvenation. From cheating to stacking  the odds against you it is a chore to battle Crawli.

Just needed to get this off of my chest after trying and failing to beat him with three Pokémon that should be slaughtering but are instead continually getting massacred.

Re-specing your team might also help. You can buy EV-reducing berries for cheap over at the Lost Camp, then EV train at Gearan Labs to get the specific spreads you want. I've had to do it fewtimes in my most recent Intense run.

If you still find yourself struggling with Crawli, then I might reccomend lowering the difficulty for this specific fight. There's no shame in it. Hell, I've had to do it myself because Geara is a literal piece of garbage with that freaking Giratina that I somehow never had a good check for. You can always go back to your preferred difficulty once the fight is over, but there's no need to stress yourself out over a video game. It takes all the fun out it.

• 1 month later...

I managed to beat Crawli first try in a new save file in V12 because of having rock,fire, and flying type

V11 Crawli made me super annoyed but Angie is much as annoying but more worse and rage quitting because of the terrain and Crawli was second above Angie 

Edited by AnimeCrimson1