Theory about the end

VividGrey

Warning! Before you begin reading further, please remember that this might change your whole perspective of the ending of Reborn!!

Spoiler

First and foremost, my theory is heavily based on the prologue Ame wrote in 2015. Please read it before you continue reading my conspiracy.

Spoiler

Guess this sparked your interest eh? Alright, grab your tinfoil hat and go down this rabbit whole with me.

My guess is that everything in Reborn is a big joke. A simulation, and all the characters are merely playing their part in this. Something happened in the past, and Third is definitely behind everything. We're merely given the illusion that everything is going according to plan.

To further 'prove' this theory, I'd like to refer to 2 things. The first being the text we read at the end of episode 19. Some being is talking to us, about how 'convenient' it was that we're always winning with our plot armor. I think, for some reason, Third wants to tell his story with these characters in place. My second hinch is the development scoreboard. If you scroll down to the Arceus bit, you can see that it's corrupted. I'm thinking the simulation is finally falling apart

Wild, huh? WELL IT GETS EVEN WILDER.

In the prologue, Lin is a young girl. But in the game however, Lin is an adult. In fact, she's like a god. Seems weird huh? It's almost as if she found a glitch in the simulation. What's more is that she's obviously out for some blood. I'm thinking she wants to actually get out of the simulation and goes to extreme lengths because she's a psychopath. She killed Ame, but she's still in the simulation. I'm guessing she either had to

a) kill someone in the room that was there with them,

or b) doesn't want to get out and actually wants to destroy Third from the inside.

In retrospect, we don't know Lin's motives. We only know she's "evil" because we're told she is. We're told this by the characters we've come to trust, the ones we don't actually know all that well.

Lastly, there's also the unknown character. However, if you go to the basement of the grand hall, there's a room all the way South. In there you can find a book with the name "Euphie" circled in red. My guess is that this Euphie is the unknown character that also wants to rebel. She's obviously not out there, and I think the other GL's are looking for her.

Keep in mind that this is just me rambling. If you have anything to add to the theory, or if you don't agree with something, please let me know in the comments. I'd love to spark a discussion. And if this post gets deleted, we can all draw some conclusions... 👀

Just now, Sirrobert said:

There is only 1 thing I know: The Lin we see does not have a Soul. I know this because Anna, who can see Souls, did not see her riding atop Hydreigon.

Everything else is subject to misdirection.

Spoiler

That's true, but that begs some questions. Is Anna telling us the truth or is she simply playing her role? Or is Lin an immortal without a soul? If you take the Zekrom path, Titania forces her aegislash through her back. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to kill a mortal, but not a god!

Spoiler

I don't disagree with this theory bc it's obvious to me somebody's playing with the cast and Lin is fighting/looking for somebody (probably Arceus) but I have to say that after the events of Meteor Devon and the kind of things Lin has said every time we have met her, we could say she's not good or her morality is not human at all.

1 hour ago, kithas said:
  Hide contents

I don't disagree with this theory bc it's obvious to me somebody's playing with the cast and Lin is fighting/looking for somebody (probably Arceus) but I have to say that after the events of Meteor Devon and the kind of things Lin has said every time we have met her, we could say she's not good or her morality is not human at all.

Spoiler

Yeah, the whole death pit thing seemed a bit out there. But maybe she was looking for a strong trainer to defeat a higher being together with her. Possibly Arceus, possibly Third.

I mean I guess I'll throw this under a spoiler even though it isn't really necessary

Spoiler

A popular theory is that the Adult Lin we see is a robot created by Terra (who befriended Young Lin in some capacity at some point), and is controlled by Young Lin. This explains both why she doesn't have a soul and why being stabbed didn't kill her, as well as being able to breath and move underwater effortlessly while also lifting up a massive stone? device. It also lines up with Samson's comment about how when he punched her, she "felt as hard as steel" or something along those lines.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

I actually have been thinking about something like this theory with Lin. See with her character, she feels extremely out of place, doing her own thing. Out of every character whether it be Julia or Solaris, Lin doesn’t play by the same rules. She straight up decapitates Ame with after beating her against a mon that is 4x supereffective against her type wise, she sees through all the ruses Sirius puts up at the mountain but doesn’t act on it (partly because of the steelix) and she sends either Samson or Ciel to the shadow realm with no problems whatsoever but always chooses to leave you alive. If you, a character that seemingly has only lost a couple of times such a big threat to her, why has she never acted to eliminate you? She feels so much like an independent party only using meteor for its capabilities so they can do the leg work for her.. I’m probably reading too much into this but it’s intersting to note how many characters know her, yet adult Lin seemingly claims to not* know them, and what reason would she have to lie?

Edited by L__Haze
Forgot a word when I wrote this at 2am x.x
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, L__Haze said:
  Hide contents

I actually have been thinking about something like this theory with Lin. See with her character, she feels extremely out of place, doing her own thing. Out of every character whether it be Julia or Solaris, Lin doesn’t play by the same rules. She straight up decapitates Ame with after beating her against a mon that is 4x supereffective against her type wise, she sees through all the ruses Sirius puts up at the mountain but doesn’t act on it (partly because of the steelix) and she sends either Samson or Ciel to the shadow realm with no problems whatsoever but always chooses to leave you alive. If you, a character that seemingly has only lost a couple of times such a big threat to her, why has she never acted to eliminate you? She feels so much like an independent party only using meteor for its capabilities so they can do the leg work for her.. I’m probably reading too much into this but it’s intersting to note how many characters know her, yet adult Lin seemingly claims to not* know them, and what reason would she have to lie?

No, it's not reading too much, it's quite accurate, Lin just doesn't care about anything, she proceeds with her plan no matter what and obviously she does not think it is necessary for anyone to know what's really up.

Now I think, this looks like, the Reborn (city itself and also the game) was created exactly the same as the online league was - I mean, it was created for people to impersonate and play roles, the dome represents the boundaries of online league - it exists only within its own borders, there is no other world outside of that, only the great beyond, another level - us. To be honest, if we come to a conclusion that it was all just a game (literally, or a sort of a dream, whatever) and Lin just plays with this fact and in the end reveals it to us (we don't know, but also don't remember, what was before the train, right?), to break the illusion, I'm gonna be terribly disappointed, but mostly because the Reborn is created in a great way, it's down to earth and so... realistic? and deep with its story, that I think such outcome would be a mockery to all of it. We, and I do mean we, the characters we impersonated, came through all this, suicides, battles, investigations, too-long-love-story, just to realise at the end that it was merely just an act? When it is so easy to get into the atmosphere of it, to feel the emotions of fighting for Reborn, an ''in-world'' realisation to our character that it was all meaningless, would be painful. An interesting idea, tough, but I came here to merge into the illusion, not to be hit in the face with a sign saying ''ITS ONLY A GAME'' - we already know that, and that's why we are here.

I hope you guys get what I mean. 

• Like 1

@Egzample I understand you, I believe that the "this is a video game" concept will only be used to enhance the story, not be the big story bomb at the end. I'll explain: The voice in the Citae and at the end of Episode 18 tells you in so many ways that it hopes to "keep playing" with you forever. It also asks us if we've ever noticed how there are always Star Shards laying around when we need to heal, or that there is always a way out of every predicament we find ourselves in. On top of that, it holds us in the black space for a time before letting us go free.

As far as the healing items and ways out are concerned, you would normally just chalk it up to standard video game level design. Reborn goes a step further in calling it out, but in a way that incorporates it into the story in a realistic way. The same thing goes for the black screen transition at the end of an episode; the player's suspension of disbelief would briefly vanish as they realize "oh, I've hit the end of the game". But again, Reborn uses this as a moment to build on the story as the voice briefly traps us in the void.

One more fun fact: while in the desert with Taka, he mentions that Lin is narcoleptic, and will drop to the floor unconscious occasionally, and no one is able to wake her up. I've wondered if this is a reference to how the player can save the game and then turn it off for extended periods of time. That would also explain how she came back to life after Titania stabbed her; just like how the MC also "respawns" if they lose an important fight.

So in conclusion, I don't know how much more the fact that this is a game will be brought up, but I highly doubt that the story is going to take a hard left in favor of breaking the fourth wall.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I'm not sure if it would be cool for Lin to be a Game-warping type of Big Bad when nothing on her backstory/lore has hinted to that. T3RR4? Yes. Anna? Maybe. The mysterious entity that could be speaking to us between episodes? Totally. But I don think Lin would need to end like that. She's a villain in her own way, with Unlimited Power as her theme within the constraints of the game universe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Doctor has something to do with Lin. We first learn about that at Tanzan mountain meteor base. Also, there’s a dialogue between Charlotte or Saphira(don’t remember) and doc. I believe doc says something about that he’s not interested in the children that ran away from the orphanage and there is something else that He is interested in. The last thing I’d like to point out is that we meet the doctor at the world after Gardevoir creates a black hole. He is searching for Lizzy and repeats this name few Times. I believe that Lizzy is the young Lin and you better watch out for the doc. I don’t believe He will ever be on our side, but I’m pretty sure he will somehow help us by trying to find Lizzy aka the young Lin.

Second theory I have doesnt have a backbone at all but I have a feeling Ame isn’t dead. I mean, how could Lin defeat a champion so easily yet lose to a Saphira? Lin also uses “Ame’s” alolan ninetales in titanias gym, which isn’t even lvl100. Why wouldn’t it be lvl 100? I believe we will encounter Ame again and will need to rescue her. She couldn’t have died so easily..

Hopefully you can understand something from the brainfart I just wrote lmao 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 4:53 AM, Benja said:

Doctor has something to do with Lin. We first learn about that at Tanzan mountain meteor base. Also, there’s a dialogue between Charlotte or Saphira(don’t remember) and doc. I believe doc says something about that he’s not interested in the children that ran away from the orphanage and there is something else that He is interested in. The last thing I’d like to point out is that we meet the doctor at the world after Gardevoir creates a black hole. He is searching for Lizzy and repeats this name few Times. I believe that Lizzy is the young Lin and you better watch out for the doc. I don’t believe He will ever be on our side, but I’m pretty sure he will somehow help us by trying to find Lizzy aka the young Lin.

Second theory I have doesnt have a backbone at all but I have a feeling Ame isn’t dead. I mean, how could Lin defeat a champion so easily yet lose to a Saphira? Lin also uses “Ame’s” alolan ninetales in titanias gym, which isn’t even lvl100. Why wouldn’t it be lvl 100? I believe we will encounter Ame again and will need to rescue her. She couldn’t have died so easily..

Hopefully you can understand something from the brainfart I just wrote lmao 

She's obviously dead. Plot wise, i would not have the same impact (her being alive) on the events of Devon. The idea is to show Lin's personality and power. The events leave a message of lost hope, that can be recovered, however, which is further expanded by Adrienn's speech. 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:00 AM, L__Haze said:

after beating her against a mon that is 4x supereffective against her type wise

This actually is fairly easy to explain with Episode 18 information.

Lin's Hydreigon can be assumed to have gone through the process of giving it 252 EVs in every stat. A Hydreigon with 252 Sp. Def. Evs and 252 HP EVs will survive a Moonblast from a 252 Sp. A. Ninetales with a speedboosting nature 6% of the time. And Alolan Ninetales best set, the Aurora Veil one doesn't have 252 Sp. Attack EVs. It has 8. Under those conditions Hydreigon will never be OHKO'd by Moonblast.

Then if Aurora Veil isn't up, which in this case I think is a safe assumption since there is no hail that we can see during the battle, Hydreigon will always OHKO Ninetales with its follow-up Flash Cannon.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wcv said:

This actually is fairly easy to explain with Episode 18 information.

Lin's Hydreigon can be assumed to have gone through the process of giving it 252 EVs in every stat. A Hydreigon with 252 Sp. Def. Evs and 252 HP EVs will survive a Moonblast from a 252 Sp. A. Ninetales with a speedboosting nature 6% of the time. And Alolan Ninetales best set, the Aurora Veil one doesn't have 252 Sp. Attack EVs. It has 8. Under those conditions Hydreigon will never be OHKO'd by Moonblast.

Then if Aurora Veil isn't up, which in this case I think is a safe assumption since there is no hail that we can see during the battle, Hydreigon will always OHKO Ninetales with its follow-up Flash Cannon.

Also, Ame's mons arent even lvl 100. Her absol for one is, like, lvl70.

2 hours ago, nhehvnukl said:

Also, Ame's mons arent even lvl 100. Her absol for one is, like, lvl70.

But that's the thing, it was her absol that was level 70. I don't believe the other mons levels were revealed but I remember reading somewhere that Ame's Absol wasn't used for battle, but for warning signs. If her entire team was level 70, then it simply doesn't make sense (to me) to be an acting champion. Sure there would be nothing stopping her, but she could've easily appointed anyone else. I know she wasn't the strongest trainer to begin with but level 70 hardly even makes her any better than one of the later gls. Here's another fishy thing I noted about a character

Spoiler

Why would Lin bother taking Ame's mons? Her Hydreigon is insanely powerful, and likely has an entire team as strong as hydreigon. Maybe it was the only thing on her team and she recognized a threat if she left behind pokemon that could defeat her ace, but Lin seems to be so confident in her own abilities that she doesn't even identify the player as a threat despite having mons in the 90s as of e18

23 hours ago, Des Teto said:

Where do you learn that she had a lvl70 Absol?

Also, it doesn't make sense. As the Champion, her main team is level 100. No doubt about that.

Check the OT of the event Absol you got if you caught it... 

And Ame wasn't the actual Champion, just the nominal one, by organizing the Pokémon League she put herself temporarily on the top, just until an actual champion defeated Elite 4.

Edited by kithas
  • Like 1

You guys keep forgetting that levels are somewhat only and pure in-game mechanics ''for us'', meaning game characters are not aware of any levels (with the exception for leaders telling us about the level cap), it is more like level reflects a mixture of trainer's ability to command and use a pokemon in battle, how well it was trained and mon's own power and experience (in literal meaning, not exp. points).

19 hours ago, L__Haze said:

But that's the thing, it was her absol that was level 70. I don't believe the other mons levels were revealed but I remember reading somewhere that Ame's Absol wasn't used for battle, but for warning signs. If her entire team was level 70, then it simply doesn't make sense (to me) to be an acting champion. Sure there would be nothing stopping her, but she could've easily appointed anyone else. I know she wasn't the strongest trainer to begin with but level 70 hardly even makes her any better than one of the later gls. Here's another fishy thing I noted about a character

Hide contents

Why would Lin bother taking Ame's mons? Her Hydreigon is insanely powerful, and likely has an entire team as strong as hydreigon. Maybe it was the only thing on her team and she recognized a threat if she left behind pokemon that could defeat her ace, but Lin seems to be so confident in her own abilities that she doesn't even identify the player as a threat despite having mons in the 90s as of e18

For irony probably. Its Lin.

3 hours ago, nhehvnukl said:

For irony probably. Its Lin.

For hitting us where it hurts, as in "I've killed your friend the Champion and these are all her pokemon" and also for Rylin's encounter by Titania's castle, for hiding her own team from us. 

20 hours ago, kithas said:

Check the OT of the event Absol you got if you caught it... 

The Life Orb one who were playing Super Mario in the waterfall?

This event has been removed as far as I know. It's not even listed in locations guide anymore.