That One Gym Leader

Nue

ERICK!

So, I just had to go through the hardest and most annoying battle (Almost of the levels of Valor Summit). Now this battle actually took me almost an hour to get since I spent most the time resetting for my Roserade's Quick Claw to kick in.

So, first time I walk into gym I actually get through half his team before his mega appeared and swept my team since I didn't know he had it. Second time around I come with a secret weapon that few would call me crazy to use. I also bring my Mawile out of his vacation from the Rotation Resort that is the PC. So after getting to it again I Flare Blitz it with my barely alive Blaziken while my Raichu does chip damage against the Eelektross. Well, Eelektross knocks out Raichu while Blaziken faints from recoil. So I throw out Mawile and my Secret Weapon...Feraligatr! Now I know, Feraligatr is a water type it would just die in this gym but my Feraligatr is Jolly natured with Sheer Force holding an Icicle Plate with Ice Punch that has been EV trained. So, Feraligatr hits Ampharos and to my shock knocks it out with a critical hit so my Mawile faints his Eelektross and next is his shiny Eletctivire. So is Eletctivire faints Feraligatr cause well Water-type, and Mawile nearly kills it with a Play Rough. So, I'm feeling a little cornered so I revive my Blaziken cause I know Eletctvire is faster then Mawile and I KNOW it has the elemental punches. So it of course Fire Punches  Mawile to death and Blaziken then Flare Blitz it to death and I'm smiling while the victory music plays. The screen blacks out to go back to the over world but then the music goes out....The game crashed.

Sigh, I had to reset for almost an hour just to get Roserade's Quick Claw to active so it can one shot his Raichu cause honestly it and Mangaton just one shot my entire team when they both start Thunder Plusing. Manages to get through the battle again almost the same way speed read his dialog before saving as fast as I could for fear of another unlucky crash.

Anyone have any Gym Leader stories they'd like to share?

• Upvote 1

This is a very interesting topic! Having done a mono-run of this game, I find it fascinating that there are certain major battles that I thought I can handle, but ended in a way I wasn’t expecting. I recorded a Mono-Fairy run in my Rejuvenation adventure, and I do have one Gym Leader who is difficult to get past by. And the title goes to...

Venam!

For a mono-Fairy run, I don’t have access to any Fairy Pokémon until Route 2. So the only fairy Pokémon - or would-be fairy but not yet - is Primarina! Problem is, that I can’t level up past level 20, so it is stuck as a Brionne. So with just Brionne, it was a 1v4 for casual, or 1v6 for Normal & intense. I played casual mode and I had to restart several times! If that is any indication, I would’ve forfeit at higher difficulties and move on to something else because Brionne simply can’t endure long enough to take out six Pokémon, even with decent coverage. I suppose it would be Aqua Jet, Water Gun, Disarming Voice, and Icy Wind. I do recall finding one Super Potion before the first badge, but that’s gonna go a long way to improve longevity, especially if Toxic is being used constantly (without missing, Poison Pokemon using Toxic grants perfect accuracy).

But yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve experienced. Venam was the pinnacle of being a very hard gym leader for a mono-Fairy run.

This seems interesting I'll join in too. For me that one gym leader is Souta. His team is very speedy thank to elemental seed tailwind and also on his field hurricane will get power boost and never miss(TOO OP!) and also the super effective rock move is useless since it onlydoes X1 damage this is very suck at that point only electric pokemon I have is Vikavolt so yeah just hope that it survive with focus band at that point for me. Overall his team is not that scary by reborn or rejuvenation standard but his field make everything he have OP.

Florin. First off, you fight him in a Double Battle,which i am spectacularly ba dat without a partner. Second, that f*cking Cradily bodies my team...... my only checks for Grass types are Nidoking and Talonflame, both of which are completely nerfed by the terrain + the constant rain. and my only Steel Type to deal with Cradily is Mawile, who dies long before i can pull an Iron Head off...... i only won when i started ignoring Cradily to attack Florin's other Pokemon then started attacking Cradily when its the only one left

Yeah, I'll have to agree on Florin. My first play through during V10 took over an hour since half my team were rendered useless. The only reason I beat it was because of some lucky crits with my Fearow.

Of course, during my second play through I won first try after transforming the terrain to rainbow with sunny day, making me mad at the time of took to win during that first run.

9 hours ago, RedWolf705 said:

Florin. First off, you fight him in a Double Battle,which i am spectacularly ba dat without a partner. Second, that f*cking Cradily bodies my team...... my only checks for Grass types are Nidoking and Talonflame, both of which are completely nerfed by the terrain + the constant rain. and my only Steel Type to deal with Cradily is Mawile, who dies long before i can pull an Iron Head off...... i only won when i started ignoring Cradily to attack Florin's other Pokemon then started attacking Cradily when its the only one left

Thx for posting this! I literally had to just fight him and that's how I won the battle! Though in my case Blaziken actually managed to take down his Sceptile with two Flare Blitz while Mawile took out the Cradily with Play Rough (Who thought having a Careful Mawile would be good). Though special thanks goes to my Magical Seed Nasty Plot +1 Raichu and Poison Silvally who took down four of his mons. Silvally was able to tank many hits in order for me to heal Raichu but sadly Sceptile out sped him.

Mine was Angie, and... bug type leader on intense. ahahaha. Angie was just too much for my team since only fighting mons I had were hariyama and sawk... I barely defeated her with something like 40HP left after half day of preparation and setting up team. As for bug type leader on intense I didnt have any decent fire pokemon so.... I had to use 2 crobats for his team LOL. Btw as for Souta on intense... I just had to tank his 1st pokemon, dont remember which it was anymore, with my tyrantrum which took it out with rock head... and the rest of his team got wasted by crobat and jolteon... 

There are a lot of "that one gym leader"s in this game. Keta, for example, is always a hard nut to crack, and Marianette gave me nightmares for all I liked her story arc. I learned how to deal with her appropriately (cosmic power).

I recall Florin also being a huge pain when I did the Ground Mono-run, the combination of the field, the rain and his two first pokémon made me want to go bladestar a lot of times, and funnily enough, Adam was similarly hard because of his field, making Rock-types resistant to Ground-types and his normal attacks super-effective against all my pokémon. I also learned how to give him a taste of his own medicine.

I had 2 battles where I seriously struggled in. Valerie and Angie. Angie always OHKD my Pokemons, and even with the fastest Mons I've had, I couldn't outspeed her Froslass. She always set up her Aurora Veil, and damage to her was very minimal. I won by a very small chance. Valerie on the other hand was a nightmare. I think both were reffed in recent versions. 

I also have to give a shout out to Madame X. She has a move that always OHKed my Pokemons (Decimation?). I honestly won against her by cycling Fennel Cakes lol :3