Books with stories like Reborn/Rejuvenation

Moa

Hi everyone. So I'm a big fan of Reborn and Rejuvenation, and the main reason why I enjoy them is the story and characters. 

Does anyone know any books with a similar overall tone of story as Reborn/Rejuvenation? I'm not sure what genre I'd be looking for either, I'm guessing something like dark fantasy/YA? Of course, it doesn't have to be Pokemon related.

I'm not sure how good of a recommendation it'll be -- I don't read many book series-es these days anymore, unfortunately -- but here's some books with sort of similiar things, but they're also "kids' novels" (that kinda deal with things like a lot of what Reborn/rejuvenation do?? weirdly). It's kind of hard to go into detail about stuff without either spoiling things or basically summarizing them. Feel free to disregard my suggestions if they're too out there or kiddy for you!

-Warriors, by Erin Hunter (the first two series at least; I haven't read the further ones yet)

This is the (in)famous line of books about talking cats who fight each other. In seriousness, it's a pretty good read for the most part-- I've heard bad things about the later series in it, but I've yet to read them and judge them.

What I do know of the first 2 series I've read in it are pretty full of intrigue and ~*Drama*~. There's cats betraying each other, full-scale mutinies, hurt feelings, delusions, secrets and all of that sort of thing. I enjoyed them a lot, though it being cats could also be a little offputting; YMMV. It goes into detail about blood and stuff, including death screams and such, so be warned of that.

-A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

This one is a little more comedic - it doesn't take itself seriously, but it also does? it's a weird feeling - and it's very much about dealing with depression and grief and having to figure out things in life. It constntly talks about how unhappy it is and asks you to stop reading it, and it can come off a little "pretentious" sometimes, but I found myself enjoying it a lot, especially as a kid. I'm cluding it here, because it does go over things, and is wierdly a little more postivite.

-Animorphs, by K.A. Applegate

This one is the closest to Reborn/Rejuvenation as far as I can tell; there's a lot of darker themes in it, including betrayal, deserters, etc; it has a real sense of morality and mortality in it. It has a lot of world-conquest stuff in it sort of similiar to reborn again, but it's... a lot more subtle than Reborn's is. Like, in a terrifying way. I haven't read any of them for a long time, but I remember there's a lot of them and some of them kind of frightened me. Same as Warriors; it goes into detail about blood and stuff.

Of note, when I read these books I have that kind of feeling of I have to keep reading to figure out what happens, and what's going to happen to these characters, especially ones I get attached to, and that's what reborn/rejuvenation did/is doing for me(respectively), so maybe it'll work for you.

Edited by Vitruvian
  • Upvote 1

As I've mostly read "normal fantaisy" and thrillrerss here is a little selection

Tudgual by Anne Plichota and Cendrine Wolf: A french book(don't know if it was translated)

It is actually a spin-off seies but it can stand on its own. Goes into similar theme that reborn in some case(abuse,being different,moral greyness) in a apparently calm, modern setting.

If you're into manga/anime:

Instant Bullet: City dark fantaisy, mostly interesting due to the characters, but other than that not much theme in common with reborn/rejuv

Maybe you should try your luck with Visual Novels/Book which you are the hero? They have that interactivity similar to the games

To be fair this makes me wonder what I eis likeable about the story, which I have a hard time figuring out(I know i like it, but not why)