Suggestions for Greninja moveset

Lord Tobirama

Hey all, so I received a lucky Froakie from a wonder trade the other day, and I was definitely willing to drop everything to make it of level to get that Greninja considering its one of my favorite mons. So I was wondering for late game and into future EPs of Reborn what do you guys think is the best all around moveset for it? Taking any and all suggestions. I'm also at the Terra gym battle in the story for reference. 

I see it often and use it myself
Protean/Life Orb
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory
Hydro Pump

And for the last one either Gunk Shot (If you have good ATK stat) or Ice Beam.

You can cover four types and still deal STAB damage, so pretty op and flexible to me.

Good job! Starters are quite a scarcity to get through Wonder Trades 🙂

I would recommend the following moveset, but firstly first, be sure your Froakie has Protean, so it can deal STAB damage everytime.

Surf --> A good water move that will come in handy to you since many of the next Gym Leaders you'll encounter will fight in double battles.

Extrasensory --> Don't say 'no' to a chance of making you're adversary flinch. You can rely on Dark Pulse at your convenience, but I think Extrasensory is a bit better, simply because you can fool your enemies by turning into Psychic Type and lure potential Fighting move users, which can't be done if you're using Dark Pulse.

Grass Knot --> Same as above, except you'll lure Electric Type this time. Also, there are quite a bunch of Rock and Water mons, as well as heavy mons (Especially in the late part of the game), and Grass Knot is THE piece of the puzzle to counter them (Hello, Amaria's Lapras)

Ice Beam --> You can't have it for now, which is quite a shame. But as a Showdown Player, I couldn't resist to test my current Reborn Squad against other single type mono teams, and I can assure you that the fiercest trainers you'll face are definitely Dragon Type users. Don't meditate twice, and teach it to your Greninja as soon as you find this TM. The thing is, Saphira will probably fight in the Dragon's Den Field which halves damage dealt by both Water and Ice moves. But as far as I know, using Surf two times (If you're still alive) can terminate the field. If Ice Beam ever becomes available before the battle against Saphira (Which I seriously doubt, but whatever), it risks to make things relatively enjoyable to you. Meanwhile, Dark Pulse would be a good substitute to Ice Beam until you find the appropriate TM.

Recommended nature: Timid (Don't let anything nor anyone outspeed you).

For info, you can change the nature of your Pokemon to any nature you wish to have if you trade three heartscales to the psychologist living in 7th Street.

Concerning the item to hold, I'm a bit hesitant between Life Orb and Wise Glasses. I would probably opt for Life Orb since Greninja is a glass cannon and can hardly survive an attack whose damage are amplified by battlefields anyway. Also, it's probably better to get hurt by unbearable strength than by your foes 😉

Hope this helped! Good luck and have fun 😄

1 hour ago, Q-Jei said:

Good job! Starters are quite a scarcity to get through Wonder Trades 🙂

I would recommend the following moveset, but firstly first, be sure your Froakie has Protean, so it can deal STAB damage everytime.

Surf --> A good water move that will come in handy to you since many of the next Gym Leaders you'll encounter will fight in double battles.

Extrasensory --> Don't say 'no' to a chance of making you're adversary flinch. You can rely on Dark Pulse at your convenience, but I think Extrasensory is a bit better, simply because you can fool your enemies by turning into Psychic Type and lure potential Fighting move users, which can't be done if you're using Dark Pulse.

Grass Knot --> Same as above, except you'll lure Electric Type this time. Also, there are quite a bunch of Rock and Water mons, as well as heavy mons (Escpecially in the late part of the game), and Grass Knot is THE piece of the puzzle to counter them (Hello, Amaria's Lapras)

Ice Beam --> You can't have it for now, which is quite a shame. But as a Showdown Player, I couldn't resist to test my current Reborn Squad against other single type mono teams, and I can assure you that the fiercest trainers you'll face are definitely Dragon Type users. Don't meditate twice, and teach it to your Greninja as soon as you find this TM. The thing is, Saphira will probably fight in the Dragon's Den Field which halves damages dealt by both Water and Ice moves. But as far as I know, using Surf two times (If you're still alive) can terminate the field. If Ice Beam ever becomes available before the battle against Saphira (Which I seriously doubt, but whatever), it risks to make things relatively enjoyable to you. Meanwhile, Dark Pulse would be a good substitute to Ice Beam until you find the appropriate TM.

Recommended nature: Timid (Don't let anything nor anyone outspeed you).

For info, you can change the nature of your Pokemon to any nature you wish to have if you trade three heartscales to the psychologist living in 7th Street.

Concerning the item to hold, I'm a bit hesitant between Life Orb and Wise Glasses. I would probably opt for Life Orb since Greninja is a glass cannon and can hardly survive an attack whose damage are amplified by battlefields anyway. Also, it's probably better to get hurt by unbearable strength than by your foes 😉

Hope this helped! Good luck and have fun 😄

This does help a lot thanks! Yeah I had a previous save about 2 years ago with greninja but I completely blanked on the moves I had on it so this works. Yeah dark pulse extrasenssory and surf/hydro pump I all have already. Patiently waiting on ice beam and I’ll look into grass knot. Thanks man

Z-Dig for the win !

If you tend to have a more physical Gren, this move paired with Gunk Shot and Ice Beam make good coverage. You can add U-Turn too if you play on Set Mode. Otherwise, Hydro Pump is always good.

4 hours ago, Des Teto said:

Z-Dig for the win !

If you tend to have a more physical Gren, this move paired with Gunk Shot and Ice Beam make good coverage. You can add U-Turn too if you play on Set Mode. Otherwise, Hydro Pump is always good.

Mine is more of a mixed attacker unfortunately. Once i get back to Reborn city in my current playthrough ill probably start breeding to get some better ones or just end up changing the nature.