Is revival herb bad for the gameplay experience?

Hi there everyone,

I wanted to hear your thoughts on the revival herb seller in GDC.

I see an issue in giving players access to unlimited cheap max revives. Before i had to plan and try different strategies for difficult encounters, but now i can just spam those sweet revival herbs mid fight and beat anything without any effort.

Especially in combination with sturdy mons unlimited revival herbs seem kind of stupid.

I played on the hardest difficulty setting (was it called intense?) and was kinda bummed by the drop in difficulty once i could stock up on revival herbs. I don't condemn max revives per se, but their unlimited accessability is kind of a thorn in my side.

I guess one could say that i should just not use any, if I want the game to continue being challenging and you may be right, this might be a solution, but a subpar one in my opinion. 

Regardless i would like to hear your opinions on the matter

One could remove revival herb from the vendor list (only on intense mode for example) or maybe you might have some other suggestions?

kind regards,

Alphaverb

In my opinion you basically hit the nail on its head with the third-to-last line -- just set a personal rule that you won't use non-held items in battle and the games difficulty will go up significantly. I don't think it's a fault that they're there as a player who wants a casual experience can go ahead and buy them if they want and an experienced player gets to choose whether or not they're worth it.

In general I think the ability to choose is respected well by this game so I see no problem with it.

• Upvote 1

The Revival Herb seller is. iirc, exclusive to GDC. Which mean that you have to have been able to go through there just to have the option, late in the game, and even then is just an option. 

• Upvote 1

To be frank I don't think its a good idea to remove a choice that is fairly late game for everyone just because it might be tempting for you on your Intense run.  Difficulty isn't the end all be all for most players and eventually actual max revives will appear in the shops as well in the endgame.