Fire Emblem On The Forums: Excalibur Arena [IC]

Pyon Pyon Kyuu!~

Candide had not been entirely satisfied with the aftermath of things — if he had totally had his way, even more care would have been devoted to those bodies, and the poisoned men would not have been cremated. In the end, though, he realized that that was the best they were probably going to get. The Tsukiochians certainly hadn’t been able to speak for themselves, and his concerns were but one of the group’s. He couldn’t hold it against the Queen too much.

It was still a shame, though.

cLXDy87.png

Well, I am off, I suppose. I admit I may find this difficult, but... I am looking greatly forwards to meeting Sir Lancelot the Black. That man is one of the two most famous knights of Tameloc living.

And Candide indeed left, producing a simple but fine dark wood cane from his supplies. On battlefields or in most buildings he had no need for one; his kinesthetic sense had served his motion well in his battling days, and though his blinding had of course damaged it, in open spaces or predictable rooms he had enough left in him to walk with relative ease, steps purposeful but light enough that upon brushing against something he could easily avoid it.

Town squares and streets, alas, were an exception. Enough was going on on most given streets that he couldn’t guarantee he wouldn’t run into some bystander, or trip over some obstacle. He knew the ebbs and flows of battle enough to at least roughly predict where people would be at any given moment, but common foot traffic was a different matter. It was, frankly, somewhat humiliating that he had to resort to this, but he could at least hope he had some poise to himself nonetheless. He could hope.

Candide made his way to a corner of the town square, found somewhere to sit, and simply listened. That was something he’d always done well with, after all, and it was something he hadn’t lost.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercia bit the insides of her cheeks. She wasn't gonna be preachy, not just because she was told not to spread her ideals but especially to someone who was neutral on the whole matter and just wanted the whole thing over. To be honest, the whole thing... struck a little true with her. Deep down, while she felt like she made the right choice on what she wanted to do with her life, she really just... wanted there to be peace. Why did people have to fight?... It was unfortunate that people didn't want to give Rosanne a chance, which is understandable... but did it really have to wage in this all out war? One that drove a horrible wedge in her and her sister's relationship... her sister was the most important person in the world to her, and she turned her back on her in a bid to create peace.

...She felt somewhat foolish. And did she really hate doubting herself.

C3uYG0g.png

"I... I understand those sentiments... and really, I want it to be over soon too."

A quiet pause.

"I'm... I'm sorry about taking up so much of your time. I'll... be off, then. I hope you have a good rest of your day."

Juliett_talk.png

"People... are interesting?" She raises her eyebrows, then nods thoughtfully. "Yeah, I guess people are pretty interesting." She's not sure she'd say they're fun to play with, but he's a fae, so she doesn't think too much about it.

Okay. So now it's just... asking some people about Lancelot. Accosting strangers and praying she doesn't get looked at weird. Totally not scary.

Mustering up some courage, she catches sight of a passerby who looks more or less approachable.

Juliett_happy_talk.png

"Excuse me?" Putting on a smile, she waves in a bright and friendly manner. Other people have always told her she sounds just fine, but she feels like she'd rather run in the other direction. "Sorry to bother you. Do you know anything about the rumors about Lancelot the Black?"

2iWxVSJ.png

As Juliett approached the nice lass with a flower basket she gave an immense look of disgust at her. "You want to know about Lancelot? For what?" She scans her up and down, "Oh I see, you just want to get in his pants don't you? You think just because you have nice hair and a cute face you could get with anyone, even a knight of the round table? Well tough luck, even if I did know anything I wouldn't tell you!" She flips her hair and scoffs at her.

Juliett_talk.png

"..."

Stunned, she just stands there watching as the girl struts off after what could have been the rudest first meeting she's ever had. It takes a few seconds, and then she shakes her head as if trying to clear her thoughts, a disbelieving look on her face.

Juliett_done_talk.png

"What... just happened? Wow, who peed in her breakfast this morning?"

That had been so outlandish that she almost can't even tell if she's hurt by the assumption or not. And then something strikes her.

Juliett_happy_talk.png

"Wait, so she thought I have nice hair and a cute face?"

She can't help but laugh, partially because the backhanded compliment had been actually funny and partially to dispel her own discomfort, reaching up to run a hand through her hair. That's kind of nice, in a way. It is her best physical feature. "Well, that was definitely a start."

mpREK4E.png

"I get what you mean," Neve said in response to Candide, "I hope it goes well..." 

Neve would proceed to head into town, asking around about "Lancelot the Black". She had to admit, she was curious what the man would be like when they found him. What would be his stance on the struggle? Would he even have one, or would he just want to be left alone like... she shook her head, moving on. The redheaded archer wished she had her horse around - it would be a bit comforting, at least. 

Blodeuyn_t.png

"I want to at least be of some use..." Blodeuyn mumbled to herself at Rosanne's words "Oh I know. How about you and me look around the outskirts of the town Lady Rosanne? Lancelot might not actually be in the town since he might want to avoid people if he can." Blodeuyn gave Rosanne a big smile proud of her idea.

Rossane_2.0.png

Rosanne shook her head. "I'm going to stay here so that the other might find me if I'm needed. But you make a good point, he might indeed be hiding around the outskirts maybe even in the marshes. After we're done searching the village we can together fan out through the marshes for any traces of him." 

The witch decided to look in her own way. Even if this area was used to the Accursed sort she wasn't exactly the usual suspect. Humans did not oft react well to the presence of a witch after all. She also had to admit... she was out of practice with speaking to such entities. If her faux pas at the meeting had proven anything it was that she was still somewhat out of touch with humanity and how to properly communicate with them. She supposed centuries in a forest alone wasn't great for the retention of one's social skills. She'd thought she'd never need them again, but her whims proved such thoughts false. She audibly sighed, she amazed even herself sometimes. Perhaps however she could put to use what she learned in the time such was declining. There'd be magic she'd devised to keep some contact with the outside world when she was isolated in the Knifewood.

She searched for what would hopefully be a quiet place on the outskirts of the town. She felt the most at home in nature, and frankly concentration would be more than difficult in the bustle of even a small town. The Witch drew from a pouch a small sprig of holly that she held within the palm of her hand. A ward from bad luck. She pressed magical power into the spiny leaves, then after she'd done so she focused her mind and power inward as she shut her eyes. She was seated on the ground holding her hands to her chest, a soft green glow about her person. She focused on the Legends and the talk about the mighty knight of black. She'd seen specific people before in her visions... it was much harder pinpointing legends but she'd managed it before. She searched for the figure she knew was close by. She figured that would aid her magic this time. She'd never used it at such a small distance before. The Witch was unsure what implications that held for her clairvoyance, but she was intrigued all the same. She always wished to see the new effects of her dark magics. She was never truly sure why they had this power. Why could darkness provide such a clarity? Why could she weave far off visages to her mind as if she herself was but in the presence of what she witnessed? She was unsure, but she wished to further her understanding of such magic. Perhaps it'd lead her further to her ultimate goal. Huh... she had thought sh'ed given up on that. A dead end, a lost cause. Yet she'd seen the humans chasing them regardless of their short lives. She'd met one that gave up his humanity and took up the Curse himself like she had. Surely if she gave up she mocked his drive... what he stood for.

She chuckled, nearly losing the spell she was weaving. What a human thought she just had. Perhaps the small amount of human blood she had finally poked through. But, she was different. Better? No. But different all the same. She focused her thoughts back on the task at hand rather than muse on life any longer. She had a Dark Knight to find... 

closed_eyeed_blod_t.png

"Hmm..." Blodeuyn thought for a moment

Blodeuyn_t.png

"Okay. I will take a look around town then. I'll ask some of the shop keepers if he is here or nearby he might come in and get supplies or something so they might know a bit more then random people on the streets." She said as she waved at Rosanne and walked into the town. Blodeuyn made sure to read the signs on the shops to make sure she actually found one that Lancelot might actually visit instead of just picking a random one. Having decided on a food shop of some kind she went in and looked around for a bit before going to the counter "Umm..excuses me." Blodeuyn said quietly to get the owners attention "But umm...do you know anything about Sir Lancelot? I heard that he might be around here and I really want to meet him." Blodeuyn asked the owner giving them her most innocent looking smile.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, King Murdoc said:

Gwyn blinked. The question was enough to make Gwyn forget about their fear for the moment.

HIU51YZ.png

"What?" the half-fae asked blankly, seemingly as confused by the question as the stranger was confused by its subject. "Gaheris isn't my pet, he's my best friend! Well, one of my best friends. We go everywhere together. He likes tea." 

dppAFlU.png

"Oh, I... see. He's your friend, Gaheris the deer. That... makes sense." Lying through his teeth.

Galen continues to eye the "deer" nervously in a reversal of his and Gwyn's attitudes moments prior. Normally one tries to avoid showing fear in the presence of a strange animal, but the mage was neither normal nor aware of this fact.

82gq7KG.png

"What kind of deer is he, may I ask? I've never seen anything like him. Er, like... you?" he asks, momentarily addressing Gaheris. He is not at all sure if anything is even going to come of trying, but... then again, stranger things have happened in the last two minutes.

Brinda's spell slowly created a vision in her eyes; it swirled in darkness as the spell attempted to find her target. She saw the village from a bird's eye view as if she had taken over a crow. And then as if she had blinked, there was complete darkness. Brinda could feel that the spell was working, she had casted it correctly and she could feel that at least Lancelot was in the area of Swampmill, but something was stopping her from learning anything else. If she re-focused or tried to narrow it down her vision would simply get darker and darker. She could feel it though, a frightening power. A huge amount of dark magic, one that towered even her's. 

---

Hayden_mug.png

An old man is working the counter, and he glares at Blodeuyn the whole time as she goes in. He glares at her for a few moments before answering. "I know nothing about no knights. And I have no reason to answer questions to little girls that barge into my shop asking questions without buying anything." 

As Candide sat he could hear the bustling of people and their chatter. At first it was nothing notable at first... until. "Can you believe that black-haired bitch? Asking about Lancelot, why does SHE need to know about him." A female voice sounded, 

"Well I heard that there are a lot of outsiders coming in and asking about the knight. I hate how they all come in here like the own the place and start asking questions!" A different girls voice said,

"I know right. They should just stop letting others into the city!"

The girls chatter fades in the bustle of the city.

NIBLZUG.png

"Oh, was that something bad? I could go mess with her if you want! Make her trip over something that isn't there, make her see silly things? Or we could keep focused I guess..."

It was clear from his tone that he thought that choice was the boring one.

"And why is that a surprise? I mean... Your hair is very fluffy! It's great! And I guess your face is nice... I don't know, do people care about those sorts of things?"

Candide sat for several moments, taking in what seemed to be idle nattering among the people in the square, when he caught a far more important set of phrases.

rn4gRGF.png

Well, I’m afraid I saw that coming, or something like that. I knew it was a good idea to sit and listen. That much hostility, however...

Candide got up from the place he had been sittint, and made his way over to where he remembered the Queen to be. Once he got near her —and once he heard something to confirm that it was her— he spoke.

rn4gRGF.png

Your Majesty, I’m afraid that our current strategy is not going to work. I decided to passively listen, and not only has word spread that there are several outsiders looking for Lancelot, but at least one of us seems to have encountered some level of pushback from the townsfolk. I haven’t made any active inquiries, so I can probably continue my more passive approach, but it doesn’t seem wise for me to attempt a direct approach, I’m afraid.

As bad as it was, the thought was kind of tempting. Whoever that girl was had been seriously unpleasant. Unreasonably so. If everyone in the town was going to be like this, then maybe it's a lost cause, trying to search for Lancelot here.

She looks back at Ari, tuning back into the last part of what he says.

Juliett_done.png

"Hm..."

It'd been a bit of an odd response, and she can only give a shrug in answer, at a loss of what to say. Maybe he just doesn't care about appearance much. Who's she to guess?

Juliett_done_talk.png

"I don't know about this." Rubbing her forehead with one hand, she lets out a heavy sigh. "Do you want to try asking someone? Feels like we're not going to get very far."

Blodeuyn was taken aback by the shop owners comment and the innocent look dropped for a second as she might of considered trying to turn the man into a mushroom but she quickly put the look back up.

Blodeuyn_t.png

"Oh, Okay." She said sounding a little sad  as she moved over and grabbed a few mushrooms and brought them back to the man. "I'll buy these then. Soo..umm..do you know anyone one who might know something. I will get in lots of trouble if i can't find out anything." She said to him as she slowly put the money on the counter giving the man her best pleading puppy dog eyes.

Rossane_2.0.png

"It makes sense. The people of the Marshlands don't take kindly to strangers. I also have a feeling that the Black Knight doesn't want to be found." Rosanne sighed. She thought for a few moments and turned to Candide. "What do you suggest? You have some years on me, so please feel free to advise me wether I ask for it or not. Share with me the experience that I lack."

---

Hayden_mug.png

The man blew air from his nose making an insulting sound. He took Blodeuyn's money and turned around. "Then get in trouble, it won't make my life any worse." And with his answer he turned to serve other customers. 

DYxTnhW.png

"Gaheris is a wyvern! He's just cooler than all the other wyverns is all." The creature in question took slow, careful steps towards Galen, watching him intently and sniffing at him. "He did eat a deer that one time, but he's usually pretty friendly. Have you seen any tea shops around here, by the way? Or . . . Oh, right, knights? I was supposed to be looking for a knight. . ."

cLXDy87.png

I may have fewer years on you than you think. But as for what to do... well, I imagine things will be difficult, but we may need to take a less direct approach. I will continue to listen, but if confronted —unless I suspect it is Lancelot— I will probably ask about other things besides Lancelot and see if I can figure things out from there.

rn4gRGF.png

And, er... this has been bothering me... what do the other retainers actually look like? I was unable to recognize the description one of the villagers gave, because... well, I suppose you can probably imagine why.

She pauses for a few moments—Mercia’s doing her self-esteem thing again. Of course, Owena figured following a leader who couldn’t give a damn about her didn’t do wonders for that, but...it still tugged at her heartstrings to see. She shakes her head slightly.

“It’s no trouble, don’t worry. And...please, take care of yourself. It’s dangerous out there.”

With that, she turns and begins making her way back to Nicolos, keeping a roundabout route in case she’s being tailed. There’s...a few things they’ll need to talk about.

Mercia gave just a slow nod as the figure spoke and left.

C3uYG0g.png

"...Thanks... you too."

Mercia gave a quiet sigh as she walked away too. Talking was already way more emotionally draining than she anticipated... she figured she'd look around for a little while before trying to ask questions. She kept an ear out to listen for any notable discussions between people.

Blodeuyn moved out of the shop in a huff before turning around and stomping her feet a bit.

Blodeuyn_t.png

"You big meaning. Not answering a cute girls questions." She mumbled to herself before sticking her tongue out at the shop. After she vented for a few moments she moved away from the shop and found a place nearby to just cross her arms and pout at the shop as she thought of what to do next. 

Rossane_2.0.png

"Oh you do? But you carry such an air of maturity to you. Forgive me then, it must be the knightly way in which you carry yourself" Rosanne tapped the side of her armor and nodded. "Oh I guess that is truly an issue hm. I guess you might have never seen a dragonborn, a cursed or a feyfolk? They aren't natural to the mainland. Well, Mercia has bright blue hair, yellow eyes, two small horns protruding from her hair and her face is covered in scales. Blodeuyn is small with violet eyes and green hair. Gwyn is also short, one of his eyes is purple and the other blue. He has mint hair, and fey markings on his face. Neve has orange hair, with bangs that cover one eye. Her eyes are green too. And Lucan is old and tall dark of hair and with a small beard around his lips. I hope the description is good enough." Rosanne paused for a moment and then realized there was one more person missing. "I guess I didn't mention myself. I have long blue hair, and dark blue eyes as is common in the Pendragon family."

Blodeuyn_t.png

After a bit of stewing in annoyance Blodeuyn decided that she had enough of this town and headed back to where she left Rosanne. Once she got back to the area she ran over to Rosanne "I don't like this town its full of meanies. I went to a shop to ask questions and the man was rude and mean and wouldn't answer anything even when I went like this well asking." She said quickly as she gave Rosanne her puppy dog eyes.