Pokemon Rehabilitation v1 Release and Info!

Hey, everyone! How's it going?

A long time ago, I announced Pokemon Rehabilitation to the public. It's been over a year since then, and I am deeply sorry. I procrastinated a lot and didn't give Rehab the attention it deserved. This past week, I decided to just get it out the door. And now we're here. There's a lot to say, so here we go!

1: What is Pokemon Rehabilitation?

Pokemon Rehab is a Fangame made by me using Maruno's Pokemon Essentials. It's pretty so-so right now, but don't worry! There will be many more updates and therefore many more improvements. The whole idea is that you, the player, are hired by the Safari Zone warden. A certain event (that I won't say for spoilers) happens at the start of the game, and all the Pokemon escape from the Safari Zone! A key theme is getting those Pokemon back to where they belong. Of course, no Pokemon game could exist without gyms, and Rehab has 24 of them! (18 for types and 6 for stats) In this first release, you can challenge the first gym and save one Safari Zone Pokemon. There are also some other things, but the overall experience is rather linear. The game will be like this for a little while to establish a foundation. Also, Rehab is hard. Maybe not Reborn-level hard, but It's not easy. That's the goal, in case you were wondering.

2: Bugs and other junk

As this is my first game, there are many issues. I've combated these to my best efforts, but that doesn't mean everything is spick and span. Please report any bugs, imperfections, and glitches you find. Below are some known problems:

-The title screen is kinda bad (Not a bug, just a warning for quality title screen seekers)

-Screen flashes and the intro only cover a fourth of the screen on Large or full screen size

-The male and female ace trainers don't have an overworld sprite to match their battle sprite.

3: The Mystery Gift

For the first week of release, you can receive a special Mystery Gift! Upon being picked up from the Pokemart, take the gift to a hiker on Route 1. He will give you a special Squirtle. If anyone wants info about this blue fool (Don't worry, you'll see why I called him a fool once you have him), please tell me and I'll update this post.

4: The Download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: Do not play Pokemon Rehabilitation if you have epilepsy, seizures, or something else triggered by flashing lights. Rehab has many flashing light sequences. 

Also, It's recommended to play on Small or Medium screen size due to the screen flash/intro bug.

v2 is out now! You can find the download here:

(Sorry It's only on Google Drive. I don't like MediaFire or Mega because you can randomly pick up viruses from them.)

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/fOWmvKh

Pro Tip: Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT need WinZip to play the game. If you right click on the file and click "Extract files", then you should be able to access the Game file without any hassle. 

One more thing: Please tell me If there are download-related problems. I've never posted a game for anyone to download before, so I'm not entirely sure what people may experience. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5: You can help!

There are some future things I'd like to add to the game. If you have any knowledge on how to do any of the stuff listed below, that'd be great!

-Fixing the Screen Flash/Intro bug

-Converting HMs into items (Or at least making it possible to replace HMs with regular moves like in Reborn)

And that's It! I hope you enjoy Rehab! Again, if there's any issues or ideas, please tell me. I want the game to be the best it can be!

Stay cool, friends!

• Like 2

Is everyone able to download the game now? I got lots of Emails last night saying that (insert name) was requesting access. The settings on the download say that anyone with the link can view, meaning they should be able to download it. Is that correct?

7 hours ago, Energy Man said:

Is everyone able to download the game now? I got lots of Emails last night saying that (insert name) was requesting access. The settings on the download say that anyone with the link can view, meaning they should be able to download it. Is that correct?

It downloaded fine when I did it last night (after your post about fixing it).  I still have yet to play it though.

Just a suggestion: it'd be a help you can add screenshots to your first post so people can see what to expect before downloading the game right away. Otherwise, good luck for you project ^^

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kitsune641 said:

how do i get the mystery gift from the pokemart

Mystery Gift access is automatically toggled in the intro, so you need to go to Mystery Gift on the main menu after first viewing the intro.

1 hour ago, Enigma Shot U said:

Any screenshots?

Sorry. There's no screenshots now, but I'll probably add some soon.

Hey, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that v2 is currently in development! It should be out MUCH quicker than the first release.

Stay cool, friends!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Energy Man said:

Hey, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that v2 is currently in development! It should be out MUCH quicker than the first release.

Stay cool, friends!

thats good to hear................ and as a bit of friendly advice for the update i would also recommend adding screenshots to show what is available to play in each update, adding a screenshot or 2 for each future update and  at the very least if it isnt in there already give a brief description of what can be done in terms of how far u can go before the release is finished

Okay so that was a fun time but i feel the game might be a bit unbalanced.

By that i mean that if you start with a grass starter, you're going to shit bricks until you somehow manage to get to the cave, you have the opposite problem with a fire starter (unless you have a fire-fighting, that should be fine then) and it seems that the game is pretty easy with any water starter. Don't know if it's intentionnal. I get that it's supposed to be a bit hard but hard and unfair depending on your starter choice are two different things.

Also, is it normal the mystery gift isn't obtainable ? It's not really been a week (not exactly) so i was wondering (i was really curious to know what made this squirtle special i must say).

Finally, maybe some rework on the mc overworld sprite might be a good idea ? I don't know if i'm the only one but i found that white outline was a bit harsh visually-speaking.

Anyway, i still really enjoyed the start of the storyline, this game seems like a promising one ! Curious to see what v2 will have in store ! ^^

4 hours ago, Siragon said:

Okay so that was a fun time but i feel the game might be a bit unbalanced.

By that i mean that if you start with a grass starter, you're going to shit bricks until you somehow manage to get to the cave, you have the opposite problem with a fire starter (unless you have a fire-fighting, that should be fine then) and it seems that the game is pretty easy with any water starter. Don't know if it's intentionnal. I get that it's supposed to be a bit hard but hard and unfair depending on your starter choice are two different things.

Also, is it normal the mystery gift isn't obtainable ? It's not really been a week (not exactly) so i was wondering (i was really curious to know what made this squirtle special i must say).

Finally, maybe some rework on the mc overworld sprite might be a good idea ? I don't know if i'm the only one but i found that white outline was a bit harsh visually-speaking.

Anyway, i still really enjoyed the start of the storyline, this game seems like a promising one ! Curious to see what v2 will have in store ! ^^

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with the balance issue. One of my favorite Pokemon is Dewott, so I picked Oshawott for the final test of the game. That means I didn't get to experience the pain of having a Grass or Fire starter. I'll make that more reasonable in v2. 

As for the MC sprite, I also agree. You can really see the anomalies from any angle. My graphic design skills aren't that great, but I'll smooth it out more for v2.

Finally, the Squirtle. A lot of people had problems with obtaining it. I'll re-release it eventually. It's probably for the best, since this Squirtle had a high base stat total, and would've wrecked everything. As of the time of this post, I'm going to post about the special Squirtle soon. Then everyone will know about the silly turtle...

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I apologize for the poorly coordinated Squirtle gift. Don't worry, though, because I'm here to give you the inside scoop on this silly fool. 

This Squirtle's whole idea and lore is from a series of personal events. I have this Squirtle plush that I got long ago. For some reason, I decided to make him a fashionista. I gave him these clothes:

-A New Year's feather headband

-A Batman cape

-A Masquerade mask

-A bead necklace

Eventually, I made the story that he was an ambassador from Germany and was very rich. It was more funny in person, but I thought I should share this story online.

And what better way to do it than a special Squirtle gift. 

Excuse me, SCHIGGY. That's Squirtle's German name, by the way.

In-game, his outfit is altered a bit, but is just as ridiculous as the original.

PS: I have no clue why I decided this Squirtle was from Germany. It just randomly popped into my head.

Edited by Energy Man
a

2 hours ago, Energy Man said:

Hello everyone! I apologize for the poorly coordinated Squirtle gift. Don't worry, though, because I'm here to give you the inside scoop on this silly fool. 

This Squirtle's whole idea and lore is from a series of personal events. I have this Squirtle plush that I got long ago. For some reason, I decided to make him a fashionista. I gave him these clothes:

-A New Year's feather headband

-A Batman cape

-A Masquerade mask

-A bead necklace

Eventually, I made the story that he was an ambassador from Germany and was very rich. It was more funny in person, but I thought I should share this story online.

And what better way to do it than a special Squirtle gift. 

Excuse me, SCHIGGY. That's Squirtle's German name, by the way.

In-game, his outfit is altered a bit, but is just as ridiculous as the original.

PS: I have no clue why I decided this Squirtle was from Germany. It just randomly popped into my head.

Also PS: I know many want screenshots, but I can't find a way to upload them. I'll keep looking for loopholes, though.

An easy way to show screenshots on a forum is to use a site like imgur to upload your image. 

94dfVfy.png

Click the little arrow tab and select "get share links."

e7Frfcq.png

Click the copy option for BBCode. 

WBp80As.png

Finally, paste the link you get into your posts. Viola, the images will show!

• Like 1

Some concerns I have of the game, sectioned below in spoilers for organization...

Graphics

Spoiler

A lot of the sprites don't translate well in game. The male over world sprite, and the female battle sprite stand out to me in particular, but there's also a few sprites from the game files that I find concerning. A few suggestions on how to fix these with an example below...

-Don't just use graphicsgale if you're going to recolor sprites. Try MS paint too.

--GraphicsGale is good because it's free and Ame has a series of tutorials with the program. It's easier to manually do some areas with MS paint. Here's a brief tutorial I found on MS Paint. Owning a drawing tablet can help out a lot with MS paint. The body erase one is very helpful because that's actually how a lot of sprites for gym leaders are made for reborn.

-Use a color guide

--It's really easy to go overboard with colors. There are many examples of artists using four or five colors in a work, but they still have an understanding of colors to make them look visually appealing. In the sprite below you have red and green as the main two colors, and they both feature very heavily. I would tone down either the reds or the greens here and de-saturate the green. A lot of colors you use are really saturated which does't look pleasant with other pure colors.  I suggest muting the tones a little. Especially on over world sprites, because the white lines on the boy trainer sprite stand out horribly.

Now, I've never actually made sprites before but this is a darker color scheme for this trainer sprite. I would recommend keeping it simpler, since a lot of detail will be lost on the small window screen anyway.

GuZzOJE.png6rJQiDr.png

Gameplay

Spoiler

-The starting selection of wild Pokemon is really nice. Unfortunately there aren't enough resources to actually enjoy the availability of Pokemon you normally don't find until later in the main games, like tangela.

-It doesn't seem to be using gen 6 mechanics/data. Like the move sets for some Pokemon are set for gen 5. So Pokemon like torchic, mudkip, and treecko won't have the ember, water gun, and vine whip they were given in ORAS

-Use smaller maps. There's little reason for the maps to be so big, and moving around on long maps is tedious without faster ways to go back and forth between areas. Wihtout cheating and increasing the speed even going back to the pokemon center is a miserable affair. Tip: if you can't see anything other than grass or sand tiles in the middle/ walking through a part of the map. It's too big and doesn't have enough landmarks.

-The weather system. I have no clue why it would be hailing in a seemingly flowery, temperate area but it seems to generate almost randomly. 

Story

Spoiler

-An editor would be really helpful

-- there's a lot of lines from single characters that could be made more concise.

-- a few characters sound the same, and making them sound different would make them more memorable in the long run.

-Story wise, there's many moments where it would make more sense to demonstrate something than to tell it.

--For example, while I normally don't recommend immediately throwing players into an unwinnable/difficult battle, it would actually establish team Ace as an organization with a lot of powerful trainers if Victoria had one Pokemon one or two levels than you or more Pokemon around the level of you (or the same level as the mons in the area). Alternatively, if you beat her it would show how she's mostly just talk.

-- It would also make more sense than Tate battling you. Especially because the situation was supposed to be urgent, but it comes off as not urgent enough for a battle.

That's everything that immediately stands out to me. Otherwise it wasn't too bad or too difficult other than managing resources like money and potions.

Edit, about my comment on landmarks: This is perfectly fine

Spoiler

rC0CgV0.png

I can see where I am and where I need to go. Standing in a screen of grass, however, is really bad map design.

Hello everyone! I haven't been around because I was on vacation, but now that I'm back, I'd like to respond to some of your helpful feedback posts.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:02 PM, Lyumia said:

Some concerns I have of the game, sectioned below in spoilers for organization...

Graphics

Reveal hidden contents

A lot of the sprites don't translate well in game. The male over world sprite, and the female battle sprite stand out to me in particular, but there's also a few sprites from the game files that I find concerning. A few suggestions on how to fix these with an example below...

-Don't just use graphicsgale if you're going to recolor sprites. Try MS paint too.

--GraphicsGale is good because it's free and Ame has a series of tutorials with the program. It's easier to manually do some areas with MS paint. Here's a brief tutorial I found on MS Paint. Owning a drawing tablet can help out a lot with MS paint. The body erase one is very helpful because that's actually how a lot of sprites for gym leaders are made for reborn.

-Use a color guide

--It's really easy to go overboard with colors. There are many examples of artists using four or five colors in a work, but they still have an understanding of colors to make them look visually appealing. In the sprite below you have red and green as the main two colors, and they both feature very heavily. I would tone down either the reds or the greens here and de-saturate the green. A lot of colors you use are really saturated which does't look pleasant with other pure colors.  I suggest muting the tones a little. Especially on over world sprites, because the white lines on the boy trainer sprite stand out horribly.

Now, I've never actually made sprites before but this is a darker color scheme for this trainer sprite. I would recommend keeping it simpler, since a lot of detail will be lost on the small window screen anyway.

GuZzOJE.png6rJQiDr.png

Gameplay

Reveal hidden contents

-The starting selection of wild Pokemon is really nice. Unfortunately there aren't enough resources to actually enjoy the availability of Pokemon you normally don't find until later in the main games, like tangela.

-It doesn't seem to be using gen 6 mechanics/data. Like the move sets for some Pokemon are set for gen 5. So Pokemon like torchic, mudkip, and treecko won't have the ember, water gun, and vine whip they were given in ORAS

-Use smaller maps. There's little reason for the maps to be so big, and moving around on long maps is tedious without faster ways to go back and forth between areas. Wihtout cheating and increasing the speed even going back to the pokemon center is a miserable affair. Tip: if you can't see anything other than grass or sand tiles in the middle/ walking through a part of the map. It's too big and doesn't have enough landmarks.

-The weather system. I have no clue why it would be hailing in a seemingly flowery, temperate area but it seems to generate almost randomly. 

Story

Reveal hidden contents

-An editor would be really helpful

-- there's a lot of lines from single characters that could be made more concise.

-- a few characters sound the same, and making them sound different would make them more memorable in the long run.

-Story wise, there's many moments where it would make more sense to demonstrate something than to tell it.

--For example, while I normally don't recommend immediately throwing players into an unwinnable/difficult battle, it would actually establish team Ace as an organization with a lot of powerful trainers if Victoria had one Pokemon one or two levels than you or more Pokemon around the level of you (or the same level as the mons in the area). Alternatively, if you beat her it would show how she's mostly just talk.

-- It would also make more sense than Tate battling you. Especially because the situation was supposed to be urgent, but it comes off as not urgent enough for a battle.

That's everything that immediately stands out to me. Otherwise it wasn't too bad or too difficult other than managing resources like money and potions.

Edit, about my comment on landmarks: This is perfectly fine

Reveal hidden contents

rC0CgV0.png

I can see where I am and where I need to go. Standing in a screen of grass, however, is really bad map design.

I see where you're going with all of this. But there are good reasons for all this seemingly bad game design. First up...

The sprites ARE kind of sloppy. They'll get fixed along the way, but for now they're going to be so-so. Except for the player sprites. Those are the most important. Although the shades of most battle sprites look super bright, I kind of like it. Making them darker would look better, but they'd lose the vibrant charm they once had.

Second, Gameplay. 

I really wanted the Pokemon to have updated USUM data, but there was a massive problem. The data that I usually copy and paste to save time does not have the "Shape" information. If you didn't know, Pokemon Essentials uses a specific format for Pokemon data, and in v17 (The newest version), the "Shape" information is required. I'll go bit by bit on fixing this old data issue, because adding a line that says, "SHAPE=(insert number)" would take ages to do 809 times, even if it was copy and pasted. 

As for the snow in a grassy area argument, that'll be explained later in the game.

Lastly, Story. 

Battling Tate is indeed very out of place. She didn't really fit anywhere else in v1, but she's going to be a major character, so I couldn't just wait until v2 to introduce her. Also, the dialogue is a little repetitive. Kind of like how I'm being right now 🙂

Thanks for the feedback!

On 5/17/2019 at 8:02 PM, Ekat said:

An easy way to show screenshots on a forum is to use a site like imgur to upload your image. 

94dfVfy.png

Click the little arrow tab and select "get share links."

e7Frfcq.png

Click the copy option for BBCode. 

WBp80As.png

Finally, paste the link you get into your posts. Viola, the images will show!

Thanks for the information! I'll make an imgur account shortly and have those images up.

Hello friends! Thanks for supporting the game! I have a lot of Google docs with some information on v2 and beyond (Without spoilers), and I thought I'd share them with you!

Development Blog

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iPZe1dG4KPHkvB4z-PVhvULAyyqhlTD9dya2ih5EcXQ/edit

List of Move/Ability changes to Pokemon 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Q0Y6dikEsGxVXGPtGAW5D0dfSvpMyqX21_Iwd9fpcM/edit

Have fun with these!