Memeborn: Dark Monotype

Mithy

I wasn't sure if I was going to end up uploading this but I enjoyed watching the other monotype runs and having progressed up to and beating the Pulse Camerupt fight with Solaris I think there is enough to post now and I hope to continue with it to the end. Standard rules apply; no items in battle and set mode.

• Like 2

You have access to some really strong offensive and defensive options early in a dark monotype, but the main issue I see with it is that some people for good reason see it as a rather binary style. Setup with something that has moxie and sweep. You have access to a lot of really powerful stall/defensive pokemon with Prankster, toxic spikes, will o' wisp and most will have access to Foul Play so you don't even need offensive investment but the one thing you don't have, at least if you play like me with no items, is recovery. Until Umbreon using Wish that you don't get until Serra you are forced into only black sludge, leech seed and scrafty with drain punch which isn't really enough.

When planning this run I wanted to build a rather unusual team for a dark monotype and base it around grassy terrain. It would help a lot with recovery and allow a more stall-based playstyle while still allowing me to convert it to burning field with Houndoom/Incineroar for offensive pressure. It wasn't until after I started that I realised you can't change terrain during major battles so that plan went out the window and I fell back on the old reliable moxie sweep.

Playlist is updated with Radomus beaten.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, DarkMasterKendall said:

Just now started watching, dark is my fav type, absolutely loved the idea of naming pokemon after songs, i completely lost it at black parade the mightyena. idk how far you in the game yet, but good luck!

Sorry about the late reply, been very busy of late and this went on the backburner. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks.

Uploaded a couple more vids up to Terra which I had recorded off an on but this might have to go on an indefinite hold which I might not pick up again. Fiore gauntlet is very difficult but I might be able to figure out something eventually if I have the time. Dark is pretty good at singles, very good at doubles but it is pretty hard to have one party setup to be good at both especially with an AI ally which makes fights much harder than 6v12.

Edited by Mithy

• 3 weeks later...

Fiore gauntlet was only a little bit super extemely soul destroying. Fun times. Would have been nice if there was an indicator for the Garchomp having perfect accuracy; I only learned about it afterwards.

Edited by Mithy

• Veterans

I'd just like to mention that I've been watching this playthrough quite actively over the past couple months. Huge fan of Dark types myself(Quite literally my favourite type) so seeing someone mono my mod with one is really neat! Keep it up, you're nearing the grand finale.

oh and as for Krookodile. When I did my own Dark mono, I had to eventually stop myself from allowing that thing in doubles. With Murkrow+Sableye setting the dual wind and gravity as well as Umbreon's Helping Hand, it was basically an insta win on any doubles. Bit boring. If I allowed Grassy Terrain to function though, you'd have access to the cheesiest Mega Houndoom strat around tbh.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, A̸͖̬͎̖̯̼̫͍ͣ̾ͧ͆͋͘͟ͅžͫ͗̈̅͗ͯ said:

I'd just like to mention that I've been watching this playthrough quite actively over the past couple months. Huge fan of Dark types myself(Quite literally my favourite type) so seeing someone mono my mod with one is really neat! Keep it up, you're nearing the grand finale.

oh and as for Krookodile. When I did my own Dark mono, I had to eventually stop myself from allowing that thing in doubles. With Murkrow+Sableye setting the dual wind and gravity as well as Umbreon's Helping Hand, it was basically an insta win on any doubles. Bit boring. If I allowed Grassy Terrain to function though, you'd have access to the cheesiest Mega Houndoom strat around tbh.

Thanks man and thanks for making the mod its been a lot of fun to go through it.

I definitely agree with you with disabling terrains for the major fights, too easy to abuse and I like having to fight teams with synergies built around a certain field. I've wanted to move away from krookodile for a while but with the way Reborn is setup preventing access to breeding for a while I was kind of stuck with him until Ciel. Now though with the new move tutors and being able to breed again I can use some underappreciated sweepers and there's some very cheesy and dumb teams I've wanted to tryout.

Playlist updated to Adrienn.

Playlist updated with Hardy beaten and with that the series is done until ep19. It's been a lot of fun and I'm glad I went with Dark type for this. Strong sweepers and utility through the early game and the options really open up post-Ciel. Thanks Azery and everyone involved for making this wonderful mod, it's been a trip.

Edited by Mithy