Advice on Team

FayTAV

This is my 3rd time playing through reborn and the furthest I got the previous times was Charlotte and I remember her being very hard to deal with so Im  getting ready to take on luna now and thought some input on my team would be helpful. 

All Level 60-65

Current Team: 

Blaziken:

high jump kick

blaze kick

strength

brave bird

Sylveon:

moonblast

charm

secret power

wish

Alakazam:

Psychic 

Psychic Terrain

Calm Mind

HP Poison

Krookodile:

Outrage

EQ

Crunch

Swagger

Dragonite:

Wing Attack

Thunderpunch

Dragon Rush

Extreme Speed

Blastoise:

Dragon Pulse

Protect

Hydro Pump

Flash Cannon

Any Constructive Advice would be great, Thanks!

Alright! I see many things in your team that I would improve. Since most of TMs and move learners will be available later in the game, I will advise you based on what is available before Luna. Most of my suggestions are available with the move relearner.

Blaziken :

• Flare Blitz > Blaze Kick. Because if your Blaze Kick doesn't K.O, the opponent will strike back. Since Blaziken has zero bulk, being a glass cannon is a better option.
  • Brave Bird hits Grass and Bug, same thing as Fire moves do. So it's pretty useless. You can try Bulk Up instead. I heard it's good.
  • A item that increases accuracy ensures your High Jump Kick's landing.

Sylveon : I don't know what Secret power does but this move or Charm could be replaced by Light Screen. Screens will be useful against Charlotte's dual special moves.

Alakazam : HP Poison is useless because Psychic hits Fairies and Grass with more damage. Recover, Reflect or Substitute could be better options.

Krookodile is ok given what's available. Maybe Rock Tomb could help you if you have it. Dunno if it's available yet.

Dragonite : Dragon Dance. Just Dragon Dance. You will learn it soon. Then, you will learn Outrage. With Fire Punch and Extreme Speed, you can hit almost anything.

Blastoise is ok. Luna's TM will suit him, especially if you run his mega-evolution.

2 hours ago, Teto said:

Dragonite : Dragon Dance. Just Dragon Dance. You will learn it soon. Then, you will learn Outrage. With Fire Punch and Extreme Speed, you can hit almost anything.

E-speed is an event Dratini and thus unavailable for Reborn.

2 hours ago, Teto said:

Flare Blitz > Blaze Kick. Because if your Blaze Kick doesn't K.O, the opponent will strike back. Since Blaziken has zero bulk, being a glass cannon is a better option.

If He's going to run bulk up he might as well run blaze kick over flare blitz, he'll need turns to set up, and since a +1 blaze kick is stronger than a neutral flare blitz you might as well get rid of the recoil. I do agree on the brave bird criticism though. Bulk-up - speed boost blaziken is OP.

5 hours ago, jjnajera said:

Sylveon:

moonblast

You might wanna run Hyper Voice Pixylate. It's stronger than moonblast and could be useful in double battles since it hits both opposing mons. 

I get why your Alakazam's moveset isn't all just yet. The tms an Alakazam needs are available later in the game, like focus blast and dazzling gleam. 

If you have the time and know how to do it you might want to consider breeding aura sphere on your Blastoise, it would probably  help you out a bit.

Tips for Charlotte:

Try to teach 1 or 2 mons rain dance, it will help a lot. Also teach your krookodile bulldoze to help you out with the speed of her mons. 

1 hour ago, N1Dude said:

E-speed is an event Dratini and thus unavailable for Reborn.

If He's going to run bulk up he might as well run blaze kick over flare blitz, he'll need turns to set up, and since a +1 blaze kick is stronger than a neutral flare blitz you might as well get rid of the recoil. I do agree on the brave bird criticism though. Bulk-up - speed boost blaziken is OP.

You might wanna run Hyper Voice Pixylate. It's stronger than moonblast and could be useful in double battles since it hits both opposing mons. 

I get why your Alakazam's moveset isn't all just yet. The tms an Alakazam needs are available later in the game, like focus blast and dazzling gleam. 

If you have the time and know how to do it you might want to consider breeding aura sphere on your Blastoise, it would probably  help you out a bit.

Tips for Charlotte:

Try to teach 1 or 2 mons rain dance, it will help a lot. Also teach your krookodile bulldoze to help you out with the speed of her mons. 

I wonder traded and got a dratini with e speed so idk 

I will definitely switch brave bird out and yeah the Tms for Alakazam and sylveon are rough rn 

4 hours ago, Teto said:

Alright! I see many things in your team that I would improve. Since most of TMs and move learners will be available later in the game, I will advise you based on what is available before Luna. Most of my suggestions are available with the move relearner.

Blaziken :

• Flare Blitz > Blaze Kick. Because if your Blaze Kick doesn't K.O, the opponent will strike back. Since Blaziken has zero bulk, being a glass cannon is a better option.
  • Brave Bird hits Grass and Bug, same thing as Fire moves do. So it's pretty useless. You can try Bulk Up instead. I heard it's good.
  • A item that increases accuracy ensures your High Jump Kick's landing.

Sylveon : I don't know what Secret power does but this move or Charm could be replaced by Light Screen. Screens will be useful against Charlotte's dual special moves.

Alakazam : HP Poison is useless because Psychic hits Fairies and Grass with more damage. Recover, Reflect or Substitute could be better options.

Krookodile is ok given what's available. Maybe Rock Tomb could help you if you have it. Dunno if it's available yet.

Blastoise is ok. Luna's TM will suit him, especially if you run his mega-evolution.

It’s also hard to run dragon dance because I have e speed outrage , flying stab and elemental punch 

If your Krookodile has Moxie it might be able to sweep a good number of Charlotte's team, at least if it's fast enough. Earthquake should be enough to KO both of Charlotte's leads and the two Moxie boosts from that will allow it to do a number on Charlotte's other Pokémon.

Wing Attack is a pretty weak Flying stab, a neutral Outage has the same power as a super effective Wing Attack.

46 minutes ago, jjnajera said:

I wonder traded and got a dratini with e speed so idk 

Well, with a mod you can reteach egg moves at the move relearner as well. So without this mod it's unobtainable if you don't trade.

3 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

If your Krookodile has Moxie it might be able to sweep a good number of Charlotte's team, at least if it's fast enough. Earthquake should be enough to KO both of Charlotte's leads and the two Moxie boosts from that will allow it to do a number on Charlotte's other Pokémon.

Wing Attack is a pretty weak Flying stab, a neutral Outage has the same power as a super effective Wing Attack.

Charlotte's pokemon are EV-trained and have good IV's.

Typhlosion's base speed is 100 and Darmanitan's 95.

Krookodile's only 92 though,

So depending on the natures of Typhlosion and Darmanitan it shouldn't be able to outspeed those. I might be able to look up what their speed stats are.

Personally, I prefer Fire punch for Blaziken over Flare Blitz.  Flare Blitz is a lot stronger, and should absolutely be used in any competitive/online battle, but during the story, there are many trainers to face in between heal points.  It's super annoying to have to heal up your blaziken after every random battle if it takes a bunch of damage from flare blitz, and sometimes the nearest Pokemon Center's are super far away.  Definitely agree on bulk up over brave bird though.  Speed boost + bulk up completely solos luna, and many other battles, which you also can't do if you use flare blitz over a non-recoil move.

For dragonite, DDance is better than wing attack, since flying isn't a great type offensively, so you don't lose out much by dropping the flying STAB, especially because you'll almost always want to use outrage anyways, which would hit just about everything as hard as wing attack would - Super effective wing attack is 180 BP, unresisted Outrage is also 180 BP.  Fairy is an exception with dragon immunity, and the only other type that resists dragon, steel, also resists flying, but you have fire punch for that.  So unless something is 4x weak to flying (Bug/grass, bug/fighting, grass/fighting, not a lot of pokemon, and all would also be weak to fire punch).  Basically wing attack is pretty useless when your other moves are STAB outrage, and fire punch, and DDance is super strong.

Rock tomb isn't available until later, and you won't get the TM for bulldoze until after Charlotte.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, D0ublesh0ts said:

Personally, I prefer Fire punch for Blaziken over Flare Blitz.  Flare Blitz is a lot stronger, and should absolutely be used in any competitive/online battle, but during the story, there are many trainers to face in between heal points.  It's super annoying to have to heal up your blaziken after every random battle if it takes a bunch of damage from flare blitz, and sometimes the nearest Pokemon Center's are super far away.  Definitely agree on bulk up over brave bird though.  Speed boost + bulk up completely solos luna, and many other battles, which you also can't do if you use flare blitz over a non-recoil move.

For dragonite, DDance is better than wing attack, since flying isn't a great type offensively, so you don't lose out much by dropping the flying STAB, especially because you'll almost always want to use outrage anyways, which would hit just about everything as hard as wing attack would - Super effective wing attack is 180 BP, unresisted Outrage is also 180 BP.  Fairy is an exception with dragon immunity, and the only other type that resists dragon, steel, also resists flying, but you have fire punch for that.  So unless something is 4x weak to flying (Bug/grass, bug/fighting, grass/fighting, not a lot of pokemon, and all would also be weak to fire punch).  Basically wing attack is pretty useless when your other moves are STAB outrage, and fire punch, and DDance is super strong.

Rock tomb isn't available until later, and you won't get the TM for bulldoze until after Charlotte.

I just beat Charlotte! 

1 ddance and outrage while i healed dragonite with my other mon killed 5 and then alakazam killed nine tales hallelujah 

5 hours ago, jjnajera said:

I just beat Charlotte! 

1 ddance and outrage while i healed dragonite with my other mon killed 5 and then alakazam killed nine tales hallelujah 

how to beat next leader

Spoiler

Lol that seems... nice, I guess? For Terra, that should he quite easy. You just need to level up your Alakazam until he's faster than Terra's Excadrill and Nidoking and teach him Recover over HP Poison. Your goal is to kill Nidoking, pp stall Quagsire, use him as a setup fodder, kill everyone in your path until Garchomp. If Garchomp is slower than your +6 satk +6 sdef Alakazam, gg. Otherwise, you might want to spam intimidates with your Krookodile and clear the job with Sylveon or Dragonite (who is not weak to dragon thanks to the field). To pp stall Quagsire, you have many possible ways, but the best one is probably to use Skill Swap Sylveon. He can learn it via heart scale. As soon as the Quag gets in, skill swap to get rid of unaware. If you have another skillswapper or a gastro acid is just fine, even if he's just level 30. Now, you want to switch to a death fodder or directly to Alakazam. Use psychic terrain to get rid of amnesia's boosts and use calm mind until you are at +6 satk and sdef. If you are now able to kill Quagsire just do it and snowball your way to the win, but if you can't recover and rest can help you pp stall. If you run recover, use pokeballs or useless potions to waste turns without using moves or switching. Remember to keep track of Quagsire's pps, of course. If you want to overkill, when you see that Quagsire has run out of scalds, send Blaziken and set up. The advantage you get by using Blaziken is that you avoid being hit once by sand rush Excadrill who might otherwise hurt Alakazam.

If Terra does not send Quagsire as a second pokemon, adapt. If she sends hippowdon, stall the sand, spam intimidates with Krookodile and set up with Ken or Alakazam. If she sends Palossand as a second pokemon, Blaziken can kill him, but he will have to switch in front of Quagsire and get a wish heal or a potion in order to get safely into him again after the stall session.

Remember that when has fewer than 3 total pps Quagsire is likely to be switched out so play accordingly. I think that Alakazam can take a hit from Excadrill, by the way. If he can't you have to be ready with Blaziken

If you have just a single X speed or X defense you can use it to pump Alakazam, by the way.

Edited by Lorisaur