Other members for my team?

Jack Atlas

Hey, i'm undecided about my team. Now i've just three members, Greninja (protean), Ampharos and Togekiss, but I don't know what other pkmn i should add. I was considering a Ferrothorn and a ground type, because in the previous run i had many problems with Charlotte, DJ Arclight and Amaria. What do you think? Any advice about the other 3 members? Possibly not too difficult to get. Thanks a lot and sorry for the mistakes 😀

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jack Atlas said:

Hey, i'm undecided about my team. Now i've just three members, Greninja (protean), Ampharos and Togekiss, but I don't know what other pkmn i should add. I was considering a Ferrothorn and a ground type, because in the previous run i had many problems with Charlotte, DJ Arclight and Amaria. What do you think? Any advice about the other 3 members? Possibly not too difficult to get. Thanks a lot and sorry for the mistakes 😀

Excadrill is perfect for balancing your team.

As for the other two, if your ampharos is mega, go with chandelure and ludicolo.

26 minutes ago, luis said:

Excadrill is perfect for balancing your team.

As for the other two, if your ampharos is mega, go with chandelure and ludicolo.

But i wanted Ferrothorn which Is a steel type... Are you sure ludicolo could be enough against Amaria? (I haven't Mega Ampharos yet, i just defeated PULSE Muk in Peridot)

2 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

But i wanted Ferrothorn which Is a steel type... Are you sure ludicolo could be enough against Amaria? (I haven't Mega Ampharos yet, i just defeated PULSE Muk in Peridot)

swift swim ludicolo is the perfect counter to amaria, just take down seismitoad as soon as it appears.

If you want to go with ferrothorn, I would choose flash fire chandelure and swampert or any other water/ground.

I'm gonna second Ludicolo, then on top of that, have a rain setter (Pelipper and Politoed are the only options for Drizzle but plenty of 'mons can use Rain Dance effectively), and possibly round it off with Swampert for when the mega stone is available. It just seems like your team is really well set up to turn into a rain team overall. Kingdra is another good option for a Rain abuser (I'd put it over either Greninja or Swampert, or even keep a rotation so you can use all 7 'mons), and can run either a physical set with Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Outrage/whatever or a special set with Scald/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse or Icy Wind or whatever else seems good.

Nice thing about this is, even though it's a lot of water types, the secondary types balance it out to leave very few shared weaknesses. Greninja and Swampert share Grass, Greninja and Togekiss share Electric, Mega Ampharos and Kingdra share Dragon, Ludicolo and Togekiss share Poison, and Mega Ampharos, Greninja, and Kingdra all share Fairy - but realistically, Greninja's Protean makes the first 2 irrelevant. Offensive type coverage wouldn't be an issue either, as between Water, Flying, Electric, and Dragon you already have perfect neutral coverage, and Grass, Electric, Flying, Dark and Ground allow you to cover most things super-effectively.

4 hours ago, Seel The Deal said:

I'm gonna second Ludicolo, then on top of that, have a rain setter (Pelipper and Politoed are the only options for Drizzle but plenty of 'mons can use Rain Dance effectively), and possibly round it off with Swampert for when the mega stone is available. It just seems like your team is really well set up to turn into a rain team overall. Kingdra is another good option for a Rain abuser (I'd put it over either Greninja or Swampert, or even keep a rotation so you can use all 7 'mons), and can run either a physical set with Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Outrage/whatever or a special set with Scald/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse or Icy Wind or whatever else seems good.

Nice thing about this is, even though it's a lot of water types, the secondary types balance it out to leave very few shared weaknesses. Greninja and Swampert share Grass, Greninja and Togekiss share Electric, Mega Ampharos and Kingdra share Dragon, Ludicolo and Togekiss share Poison, and Mega Ampharos, Greninja, and Kingdra all share Fairy - but realistically, Greninja's Protean makes the first 2 irrelevant. Offensive type coverage wouldn't be an issue either, as between Water, Flying, Electric, and Dragon you already have perfect neutral coverage, and Grass, Electric, Flying, Dark and Ground allow you to cover most things super-effectively.

Thanks, but in this way how could i beat Amaria? Sorry but in the last run i had to give up, I defeated maximum two pkmn against Amaria...

On 4/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, Seel The Deal said:

Ludicolo will do amazingly against Amaria. Shedinja is immune to her entire team outside of Lapras' Perish Song in the Doubles versions of the battle, so you can also just train one of those up quickly and stall her out with Toxic + Phantom Force.

But are you sure this team would be balanced against everyone? Btw I got a Seismitoad, do you think it's a good pkmn? I escaped to Laura's house, i don't remember when i'll be able to go back to Reborn to catch a Lotad... I hope this team will work 😂

Alright man, let me try to help. I always try to build well-round + offensive/fast teams. I'll use the three mons you already have, suggest their moveset and build around them. Keep in mind that some mons you'd need to breed to get all moves:

Greninja @ Expert Belt

Ability: Protean

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Timid Nature

Moveset:

- Toxic Spikes

- Extrasensory

- Dark Pulse

- Scald

Greninja is one of the best Water mons, I use it in my team. People like to use it as Physical attacker, not my go though. Expert Belt you can get after city restoration, Scald if I'm not mistaken you get near battling Amaria (use water pledge until) and Toxic Spikes you'll get through breeding. Ice Beam is a good move too, but not available so far in Reborn.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite

Ability: Static

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Sp.Def / 4 HP

Modest Nature

Moveset:

- Discharge

- Dragon Pulse

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Ice] / Signal Beam

Ampharos is not my go, too slow in my opinion, anyway, as we are looking for a well-round team, Ampharos should use Ampharosite, as it'll get Dragon typing. Discharge should be changed by Thunderbolt when available. The problem is Hidden Power, which will need a hard breeding process. If you want a different electric mon, I'd use Electivire or any other Grass mon. We can talk about it if you want xD

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

Modest Nature

Moveset:

- Nasty Plot / Thunder Wave

- Air Slash

- Aura Sphere

- Dazzling Gleam / Extrasensory / Heat Wave

Togekiss is one that I should try one day. Nasty Plot and Extrasensory you'll get through breeding, the latter are not needed here as Greninja already have, Aura Sphere is for coverage, a Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam are STAB, Thunder Wave and Heat Wave would be of good use.

Okay, now we should think about the rest of the team. Against Amaria, the best option in my Opinion is a Grass pokemon, that's why I'd suggest to change Ampharos for one. Roserade, Venusar, Leavanny, Breeloom are good bettings, but I'll not change your core mons. So far, we don't have coverage against Electric and Fairy and are not so good against Ice, Steel and Normal. Well, there are a lot of pokemons that could fit really well on the last positions. Let's start with a ground one so we can get rid of Electric type, suggestions are: Excadrill, Camerupt, Krookodile and Mamoswine. Excadrill is my best bet here.

Excadrill @ Life Orb

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4HP

Jolly Nature

Moveset:

- Rapid Spin

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

Excadrill would work better with the ability Sand Rush, but you'd need a Sandstorm setter (like Hippowdon), and you can still use it on your team, no problemo. Rapid Spin so you can take care of any hazard the enemy uses and Earthquake and Iron Head are STAB. Iron Head it learns through move tutor (7th Street). Now we took care of Electric e Fairy weaknesses. Next one, as I love fire types, a Fire + Fight would take care of everything so: Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar. Blaziken is the top S+ rank on Reborn, and Emboar are not my type so, let's try with Infernape:

Infernape @ Assault Vest / Life Orb

Ability: Iron Fist

Jolly Nature

Moveset:

- Close Combat

- Fire Punch

- Thunder Punch

- Mach Punch / U-Turn

Infernape is good option. Close Combat and Fire Punch are STAB. Thunder Punch for coverage. Mach Punch if you need a priority move or U-Turn to use Infernape as a Scout.

Now we have take care of all typings. The last position you can use anything you want, just try to don't use a pokemon with a repeated type. A wall like Blissey or a Staller like Umbreon would be nice, Hippowdon would be a good option too if you want to use Excadrill with Sand Rush. 

Also, for pretty much any mon I have suggested, I have nice breedings with proper nature and egg moves. If you want one, just say the word xD

Hope it helps, see ya~

6 hours ago, Trufa said:

Alright man, let me try to help. I always try to build well-round + offensive/fast teams. I'll use the three mons you already have, suggest their moveset and build around them. Keep in mind that some mons you'd need to breed to get all moves:

Greninja @ Expert Belt

Ability: Protean

Timid Nature

Moveset:

- Toxic Spikes

- Extrasensory

- Dark Pulse

- Scald

Greninja is one of the best Water mons, I use it in my team. People like to use it as Physical attacker, not my go though. Expert Belt you can get after city restoration, Scald if I'm not mistaken you get near battling Amaria (use water pledge until) and Toxic Spikes you'll get through breeding. Ice Beam is a good move too, but not available so far in Reborn.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite

Ability: Static

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Sp.Def / 4 HP

Modest Nature

Moveset:

- Discharge

- Dragon Pulse

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Ice] / Signal Beam

Ampharos is not my go, too slow in my opinion, anyway, as we are looking for a well-round team, Ampharos should use Ampharosite, as it'll get Dragon typing. Discharge should be changed by Thunderbolt when available. The problem is Hidden Power, which will need a hard breeding process. If you want a different electric mon, I'd use Electivire or any other Grass mon. We can talk about it if you want xD

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

Modest Nature

Moveset:

- Nasty Plot / Thunder Wave

- Air Slash

- Aura Sphere

- Dazzling Gleam / Extrasensory / Heat Wave

Togekiss is one that I should try one day. Nasty Plot and Extrasensory you'll get through breeding, the latter are not needed here as Greninja already have, Aura Sphere is for coverage, a Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam are STAB, Thunder Wave and Heat Wave would be of good use.

Okay, now we should think about the rest of the team. Against Amaria, the best option in my Opinion is a Grass pokemon, that's why I'd suggest to change Ampharos for one. Roserade, Venusar, Leavanny, Breeloom are good bettings, but I'll not change your core mons. So far, we don't have coverage against Electric and Fairy and are not so good against Ice, Steel and Normal. Well, there are a lot of pokemons that could fit really well on the last positions. Let's start with a ground one so we can get rid of Electric type, suggestions are: Excadrill, Camerupt, Krookodile and Mamoswine. Excadrill is my best bet here.

Excadrill @ Life Orb

Ability: Mold Breaker

Jolly Nature

Moveset:

- Rapid Spin

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

Excadrill would work better with the ability Sand Rush, but you'd need a Sandstorm setter (like Hippowdon), and you can still use it on your team, no problemo. Rapid Spin so you can take care of any hazard the enemy uses and Earthquake and Iron Head are STAB. Iron Head it learns through move tutor (7th Street). Now we took care of Electric e Fairy weaknesses. Next one, as I love fire types, a Fire + Fight would take care of everything so: Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar. Blaziken is the top S+ rank on Reborn, and Emboar are not my type so, let's try with Infernape:

Infernape @ Assault Vest / Life Orb

Ability: Iron Fist

Jolly Nature

Moveset:

- Close Combat

- Fire Punch

- Thunder Punch

- Mach Punch / U-Turn

Infernape is good option. Close Combat and Fire Punch are STAB. Thunder Punch for coverage. Mach Punch if you need a priority move or U-Turn to use Infernape as a Scout.

Now we have take care of all typings. The last position you can use anything you want, just try to don't use a pokemon with a repeated type. A wall like Blissey or a Staller like Umbreon would be nice, Hippowdon would be a good option too if you want to use Excadrill with Sand Rush. 

Also, for pretty much any mon I have suggested, I have nice breedings with proper nature and egg moves. If you want one, just say the word xD

Hope it helps, see ya~

So many egg moves... I'd prefer not to take so much time breeding for the right natures and the egg moves, are they absolutely necessary? 😂 For Togekiss, I switched its ability to Super Luck, did i make a mistake? Can I get excadrill before fighting Arclight? For Amaria, I wanted Ferrothorn because It isn't weak to ice, in the last run I had Leavanny and it was outspeeded and killed by ice moves against her... How can I get Infernape? Sorry for the questions but you told me a lot of things (i appreciate a lot, thanks ^^) 😂

Togekiss should always use Serene Grace; 60% flinch Air Slash on a super bulky 'mon with good speed is hella busted and lets you cheese a lot of stuff you have no right to be beating otherwise lol

And yeah, I think the rain team I mentioned should be fine against most other teams. The only real issue would be other weather teams (particularly Sun) or fields where Rain can't be set, and in that case you might struggle, but both of those tend to be very rare. (keep in mind I was suggesting Shedinja as a temporary measure just for Amaria if you still struggle, I would never recommend Shedinja for a team lol)

Infernape is available on the renovated Azurine Island, I think it's time specific too. Excadrill isn't pre-Arclight, it's a wild encounter in the desert I believe.

26 minutes ago, Seel The Deal said:

Togekiss should always use Serene Grace; 60% flinch Air Slash on a super bulky 'mon with good speed is hella busted and lets you cheese a lot of stuff you have no right to be beating otherwise lol

And yeah, I think the rain team I mentioned should be fine against most other teams. The only real issue would be other weather teams (particularly Sun) or fields where Rain can't be set, and in that case you might struggle, but both of those tend to be very rare. (keep in mind I was suggesting Shedinja as a temporary measure just for Amaria if you still struggle, I would never recommend Shedinja for a team lol)

Infernape is available on the renovated Azurine Island, I think it's time specific too. Excadrill isn't pre-Arclight, it's a wild encounter in the desert I believe.

If It isn't pre Arclight it's almost useless...

16 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

So many egg moves... I'd prefer not to take so much time breeding for the right natures and the egg moves

No, they are not necessary, just helps a lot. As i said, I can trade you bred mons.

For Togekiss, I switched its ability to Super Luck, did i make a mistake?

Super Luck is good. Serene Grace + Air Slash is just better, as @Seel The Deal.

Can I get excadrill before fighting Arclight?

In Tanzan Cove, where you battle Noel for his badge (in front of Charlotte's family house) if you surf on the lake and go to the middle and left, you'll find a cave, there you'll find Drillbur and Excadrill (a bit rare, but not impossible). I think you can go there even before city restoration as you only need surf.

I wanted Ferrothorn because It isn't weak to ice

Ferrothorn is a good pokemon, but as I said, I don't like slow pokemons, and I don't even know how to use it.

I had Leavanny

Leavanny is one of my favorites, it saved me a lot on my first run when I didn't know much about the pokemon's mechanics. A well-bred and trained one can easily outspeed any of Amaria mons (considering their nature + EV/IV will not favor speed, which I think happens), any but Starmie.

17 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

How can I get Infernape?

Try this. 

17 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

Sorry for the questions

Don't worry, I like to help and suggest mons/builds haha! Feel free to ask anything.

1 hour ago, Trufa said:

No, they are not necessary, just helps a lot. As i said, I can trade you bred mons.

Super Luck is good. Serene Grace + Air Slash is just better, as @Seel The Deal.

In Tanzan Cove, where you battle Noel for his badge (in front of Charlotte's family house) if you surf on the lake and go to the middle and left, you'll find a cave, there you'll find Drillbur and Excadrill (a bit rare, but not impossible). I think you can go there even before city restoration as you only need surf.

Ferrothorn is a good pokemon, but as I said, I don't like slow pokemons, and I don't even know how to use it.

Leavanny is one of my favorites, it saved me a lot on my first run when I didn't know much about the pokemon's mechanics. A well-bred and trained one can easily outspeed any of Amaria mons (considering their nature + EV/IV will not favor speed, which I think happens), any but Starmie.

Try this. 

Don't worry, I like to help and suggest mons/builds haha! Feel free to ask anything.

So i'll have to use 2 more ability capsule for Togekiss? 😂 I wanted to use Ferrothorn with Power whip, stealth rock, gyro ball and leech seed or something like that, with Iron Barbs and Rocky helmet, I thought it could be useful, but I can obtain It only in once upon a time... Thanks for Infernape, later i check that thread. Thanks for bred Pokémon, but i should train until a very High level, don't I risk to have an under-levelled team? And you can trade only in agate circus right?

11 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

So i'll have to use 2 more ability capsule for Togekiss? 😂 I wanted to use Ferrothorn with Power whip, stealth rock, gyro ball and leech seed or something like that, with Iron Barbs and Rocky helmet, I thought it could be useful, but I can obtain It only in once upon a time... Thanks for Infernape, later i check that thread. Thanks for bred Pokémon, but i should train until a very High level, don't I risk to have an under-levelled team? And you can trade only in agate circus right?

My Ferrothorn runs Ingrain, Power whip, curse, gyro ball.

With ingrain, leftovers and it's natural bulk (252 EV's in HP as well) you can live a lot of turns. And curse is just great for gyro ball. It lowers your speed and ups your attack which is just beautiful for gyro ball. 2 curse's up and you can OHKO almost anything with gyro ball. Even if it's not very effective (with 252 EV's in Attack).

With your slow Ampharos you could add a Reuniclus or something and make it semi trickroom so your Ferrothorn outspeeds and OHKO's everyone with gyro ball. I have a Trick Room team and i just love this strat.

You could also add an Exeggutor or a Trevenant, those 2 learn Trick Room as well. Or a Bronzong if you want some extra support options as well (like screens, stealth rock, trick, and all kinds of usefull moves) and if you don't want a second grass type.

By the Way if you're not using Trick Room and you want to do well against Amaria, maybe you should add the move Agility to your Ampharos.

19 hours ago, Jack Atlas said:

So i'll have to use 2 more ability capsule for Togekiss?

Just if you want. Serene Grace is just better, that doesn't mean that Super Luck is bad.

I wanted to use Ferrothorn with Power whip, stealth rock, gyro ball and leech seed or something like that, with Iron Barbs and Rocky helmet

Go for it, Ferrothorn don't fit my play style, @N1Dude have a good moveset too. I really don't know how to use it effectively. Also, against Amaria Trick Room maybe aren't good, as almost all of her mons are slow. It'll work on other battles.

Thanks for bred Pokémon, but i should train until a very High level, don't I risk to have an under-levelled team?

I didn't understan this. You mean you don't want to 'grind' levels for your mons? Maybe you should lvl it up a bit, as my breeds are all lvl 1. I can lvl them up to the lvl you are, if you want ^^

And you can trade only in agate circus right?

You can trade anywhere you have internet connection 😛 , as far as I am aware.

3 hours ago, Trufa said:

Just if you want. Serene Grace is just better, that doesn't mean that Super Luck is bad.

Go for it, Ferrothorn don't fit my play style, @N1Dude have a good moveset too. I really don't know how to use it effectively. Also, against Amaria Trick Room maybe aren't good, as almost all of her mons are slow. It'll work on other battles.

I didn't understan this. You mean you don't want to 'grind' levels for your mons? Maybe you should lvl it up a bit, as my breeds are all lvl 1. I can lvl them up to the lvl you are, if you want ^^

You can trade anywhere you have internet connection 😛 , as far as I am aware.

How can I trade? I always saw people doing It in agate circus... Btw i mean that i should train them a lot, since they are lvl 1. I'm against serra, so my pkmn are around 45-50. Are you sure you can do it? What do you want in return? I can't give a lot, just a few shinys and a Togepi (i think it isn't very easy to get)...

@Jack Atlas Inside your Pokégear, there is the option Online Play, there you'll register your account (just nickname and password) and then you can trade by giving your nick name and wait for request or by knowing your partner nickname and requesting him. If you are at any point before going to Agate Circus, every day there is a different trainer on Grand Hall that you can battle as much as you want, you can also set you computer clock to a different day and restart the game so you can battle a different trainer (the one on Friday is the best one haha) this also holds true for after City Restoration (13th badge and forward), you would only need Exp. Share, which you should already have by the time you leave Serra's City. At Agate Circus there is a clown that let's you battle a random team based on a color. The teams are a bit hard to battle, so I don't recommend. 

Yes, I can do it, I don't want anything in return, just play and enjoy reborn and spread the game 😛 

Regarding HM moves you have three options:

1. HM Slave, not much to tell here;
  2. In onyx ward there is an NPC that can reteach your mons their older moves, so you can go there before each big battle and change the HM for their normal move. The price is one Heart Scale per move.
  3. Use SWM Modular Pack. Along with other utilities, it will allow you to use HM moves without teaching it to your mons, you'd need to have the HM though. Here's the link:

Don't fell ashemed, this is aproved by Ame herself and you can only use the 'modifications' you want/need, not all of them.

49 minutes ago, Trufa said:

@Jack Atlas Inside your Pokégear, there is the option Online Play, there you'll register your account (just nickname and password) and then you can trade by giving your nick name and wait for request or by knowing your partner nickname and requesting him. If you are at any point before going to Agate Circus, every day there is a different trainer on Grand Hall that you can battle as much as you want, you can also set you computer clock to a different day and restart the game so you can battle a different trainer (the one on Friday is the best one haha) this also holds true for after City Restoration (13th badge and forward), you would only need Exp. Share, which you should already have by the time you leave Serra's City. At Agate Circus there is a clown that let's you battle a random team based on a color. The teams are a bit hard to battle, so I don't recommend. 

Yes, I can do it, I don't want anything in return, just play and enjoy reborn and spread the game 😛 

Regarding HM moves you have three options:

1. HM Slave, not much to tell here;
  2. In onyx ward there is an NPC that can reteach your mons their older moves, so you can go there before each big battle and change the HM for their normal move. The price is one Heart Scale per move.
  3. Use SWM Modular Pack. Along with other utilities, it will allow you to use HM moves without teaching it to your mons, you'd need to have the HM though. Here's the link:

Don't fell ashemed, this is aproved by Ame herself and you can only use the 'modifications' you want/need, not all of them.

Thanks for the pack, i'll try to install It. So my team would be Greninja, Ampharos, Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Infernape, what do you think? The problem is that Excadrill, Ampharos and Infernape are weak to ground... Can I still go for It since that weakness would be covered by Greninja and Ferrothorn? And in case which pkmn among these ones you have?

12 hours ago, Trufa said:

against Amaria Trick Room maybe aren't good, as almost all of her mons are slow. It'll work on other battles.

You battle on the water surface field. This halves all the pokemon speed unless they're a water type or have swift swim, surge surfer or are airborn (flying types and levitate). And in the Underwater field all pokemon who are not water type have their speed reduced to 1/4th. Also the elemental seed boosts their speed by 1 stage Underwater and applies soak to the user. Every water type will probably outspeed or your mons have a speed stat that's higher than 4 times their speed or 2 times when you're above water. So Trick Room should work pretty good. And I didn't even mention the mons who have swift swim like ludicolo, kingdra and mega swampert.

But yeah, a lot of her mons are slow but the fields make your mons a lot of the time even slower.

34 minutes ago, N1Dude said:

You battle on the water surface field

I always forget the field changes, s***. You are right.

So my team would be Greninja, Ampharos, Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Infernape, what do you think?

Nice team, I think xD yeah, you'll suffer a bit from Ground users, only Terra uses a full Ground Team as far as I remember. Greninja and Ferrothorn will help for sure, I think you won't have any problems.

And in case which pkmn among these ones you have?

All of them :P

1 hour ago, Trufa said:

I always forget the field changes, s***. You are right.

Nice team, I think xD yeah, you'll suffer a bit from Ground users, only Terra uses a full Ground Team as far as I remember. Greninja and Ferrothorn will help for sure, I think you won't have any problems.

All of them 😛

Wow XD So can we trade? What's your nickname in game?