Existential Dread

Question: do any of y'all worry about like, the possibility of this community just dying? How long are we gonna last before the forums fade to nothing? 5 years? 10? Because I pretty recently decided to come back on, but I totally could have just never done so, and then the community would have had one more person gone forever. Does this scare anyone else, or am I just crazy?

15 minutes ago, AtheaOfAltea said:

Question: do any of y'all worry about like, the possibility of this community just dying? How long are we gonna last before the forums fade to nothing? 5 years? 10? Because I pretty recently decided to come back on, but I totally could have just never done so, and then the community would have had one more person gone forever. Does this scare anyone else, or am I just crazy?

The death of this community is inevitable, as it is with all other communities.

The Pokémon community has been shook to its core with everything that was revealed last week and is hopefully going to rebuild to be stronger and more accepting than it previously was.

I'm not scared of the end but will enjoy the time that this community lasts and will hopefully remain in contact with friends I've made here once the inevitable happens.

• Like 1

I've been around on many forums, and I've seen it happen. I've seen people panic over it when they start to notice that the amount of users, posts and status updates per day slowly dwindle. And I've seen the final moments where the owner of the forums finally decided to shut down the forums, either deleting them completely, or having them hosted online in a read-only fashion for historical and record purposes. 

Forums aren't as popular as they were in the past, with the plethora of social media options that people would rather use. But it is how it is. Nothing last forever.

Don't be one of those people who sits there watching the numbers fluctuate and panic. Enjoy the moment, and make the most out of everything that's currently around before it eventually leaves us.

• Like 2

• Support Squad

The community is large enough and self sustaining enough that even in spite of a year plus between the main attraction of the site being updated, the community persists.

It's arguably already died several deaths. Whole generations of users who came in waves over the years have left. Not just people hopping on to ask a question and go but regulars who took part in the old league and community events, stuck around and made friend groups, had drama happen. The site has actual history now but at the same time, we're going to lose that history as the community changes and the people who remember rotate out and we change platform. From pokemon online, to pokemon showdown, to discord, to the next platform that suits our needs at the time.

You want something fancy to match the grandiose concept of existential dread? Nothing ever really stops existing, it just changes form. If nothing else, traces of this community will persist in the attitudes and memories that people take with them to other people and places. Even if it is as base and simple as a meme about an executor having a stupid long neck or jumping onto bandwagons.

• Like 2

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Felix~ said:

It's arguably already died several deaths. Whole generations of users who came in waves over the years have left.

^ this, and not even "arguably." It's called Reborn for that reason, you know. Back in the day we had the cheesy Poké-Place name and when it died the first time and came back it gained the signature "Reborn" on it. After that it just got tackier and tackier, going from Reborn to [Reborn] to [[Reborn]] to {{Reborn}} and at that time I think the only concern is when Ame would run out of ways to stylize it.

That said, that sort of thing does happen but should we worry about it? I don't think so. Even if the game were to end up shut down somehow Ame has another project in the wings that I'm sure she'll be much more excited to work on than a tired old Pokemon game. And when all else fails, what Felix said: we'll take the memories with us elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Don't be one of those people who sits there watching the numbers fluctuate and panic. Enjoy the moment, and make the most out of everything that's currently around before it eventually leaves us.

I gotta get better at that 😅

6 hours ago, Seal said:

I hope we can move to somewhere smaller instead of this community dies like to a subreddit or something.

Tbh if you wanna hit up a new branch of the community, go on the Discord; the reddit's fairly quiet, ngl

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

The death of this community is inevitable, as it is with all other communities.

The Pokémon community has been shook to its core with everything that was revealed last week and is hopefully going to rebuild to be stronger and more accepting than it previously was.

I'm not scared of the end but will enjoy the time that this community lasts and will hopefully remain in contact with friends I've made here once the inevitable happens.

What was revealed last week?

18 hours ago, AtheaOfAltea said:

I gotta get better at that 😅

Take your time, don't push yourself. These things have to happen naturally. There are plenty of people just like yourself who also have difficulty with this so you're not alone.

• Like 1

@Vinnie Honestly I think a big part of it is just the world we live in now. I can have access to so many terrifying numbers and watch them get worse, minute by minute. I gotta just try and pull myself away from it, and not focus on stuff like that, I think. More human aspect, less raw data.

2 minutes ago, AtheaOfAltea said:

@Vinnie Honestly I think a big part of it is just the world we live in now. I can have access to so many terrifying numbers and watch them get worse, minute by minute. I gotta just try and pull myself away from it, and not focus on stuff like that, I think. More human aspect, less raw data.

I can understand that, but I also think it's natural to cling to things as they are now. The world is ever changing and it changes rapidly. 

Focusing on those changes can really bring your mood down though. Watching numbers slowly tick down is not good for your health. Try to busy yourself a little more maybe, and keep your mind off of some of these changes. Focus on what brings you happiness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Focus on what brings you happiness. 

Chocolate chunk cookies, my SO, college starting in 136 days, and the fact that I might be alive to see the resolution of the Breakthrough Starshot initiative. Pretty great things to turn my eyes towards, not gonna lie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtheaOfAltea said:

Chocolate chunk cookies, my SO, college starting in 136 days, and the fact that I might be alive to see the resolution of the Breakthrough Starshot initiative. Pretty great things to turn my eyes towards, not gonna lie

There you go! Go get em girl!

• Like 1