Solaris' Garchomp [Some spoilers]

Risakisa

Playing through the game blind, and I stumbled upon this hecker of a meanie. I read somewhere that the story changes if you actually beat him.

If so, how much of the story changes? Is it just a minor quip to acknowledge that you know how to cheese down a single 'mon, and then everyone moves on, or something more drastic?

Depending on the outcome of your battle with Solaris on Pyrous Mountain, the character you team up with for a battle sequence later in the game changes, and -as a result- so does the way the scene plays out.

It also affects your relationship variables with various characters - beating Solaris will give you plus points with: Anna, Shade, Cain, Taka, Cal and Victoria (+1 for all except Taka, +3 for him)

So far we don't know if and how much it'll change about what happens in the final episode.

For the scene that depends on the battle outcome, you may get interesting dialogue/character information out of it, and seeing how you cannot gain any points from losing, and don't lose any points from winning, I'd consider winning the better option.

(It's also a popular hypothesis that making decisions that earn you points with Anna and Shade leads to the "true ending" so to say, so unless you're trying to actively earn relationship points with characters that force you to lose points with those two, it may be a good idea to keep a save file where you follow their point distribution.

If you wanna know more about the relationship point distribution, feel free to check this thread out. The first post lists them in plot order, so you can read up on the stuff you've already played through without getting spoiled on upcoming events. The second post lists the points by character and does include spoilers, so careful with that one.)

1 hour ago, ZEL said:

Depending on the outcome of your battle with Solaris on Pyrous Mountain, the character you team up with for a battle sequence later in the game changes, and -as a result- so does the way the scene plays out.

It also affects your relationship variables with various characters - beating Solaris will give you plus points with: Anna, Shade, Cain, Taka, Cal and Victoria (+1 for all except Taka, +3 for him)

So far we don't know if and how much it'll change about what happens in the final episode.

For the scene that depends on the battle outcome, you may get interesting dialogue/character information out of it, and seeing how you cannot gain any points from losing, and don't lose any points from winning, I'd consider winning the better option.

(It's also a popular hypothesis that making decisions that earn you points with Anna and Shade leads to the "true ending" so to say, so unless you're trying to actively earn relationship points with characters that force you to lose points with those two, it may be a good idea to keep a save file where you follow their point distribution.

If you wanna know more about the relationship point distribution, feel free to check this thread out. The first post lists them in plot order, so you can read up on the stuff you've already played through without getting spoiled on upcoming events. The second post lists the points by character and does include spoilers, so careful with that one.)

Don't forget the little extra dialogue in the current episode it's brief but Solaris mentions a younger version of himself would envy you or something like that it happens during: 

Spoiler

The Agate City Raid, right before your rematch with him there.

21 minutes ago, Risakisa said:

Thanks for the reply. Glad I'm not missing out on too much, then, by losing. 🙂

(And unless these points will introduce bonus.. friendship.. with Cain, I don't think I'll worry too much about it 😛 )

Also, beating Solaris's Garchomp affects his view of you. 

Spoiler

For example, during your first rematch with him, if you lose, he'll say something like'' seems player name has gotten stronger. If you win, he'll say something like '' as always player name is always a threat '' and in his big speech in Agate city, he'll either say he respects you as an individual if you beat the Garchomp, or an opponent if you lost the first time.