[IC] Devil May Cry: Scattered Tomb

GodofGamingRWBY

Mission 01

Hellscape City- 4:36 AM

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

Matthew 25:41

Hellscape City truly lived up to its name now. What was one a large city had now become battered and broken, its people slain in the streets, tanks patrolling the roads, garrisons of soldiers positioned strategically to cover every method of travel around the city, helicopters constantly moving through the sky. All of this because of the Tomb, jutting out as various pillars and ancient stones in the middle of the entire city. Needless to say, it wasn’t a pretty sight, even when you ignored the utter silence that filled the city. It was only home to demons now.

Which was precisely what had to be eliminated.

In their own ways, the Devil Hunters called in for the job of eliminating the Tomb had managed to arrive at their rendezvous point, the entrance of the Tomb. As expected, this was where most of the human defenses were organized, a 24 hour watch put up to make sure nothing escaped, and clearly it had a somewhat successful time of it, considering the only recent sources of destruction was found on the pathway that lead down to it. The Tomb’s entrance itself was, in contrast to the practically destroyed path, wasn’t worse for wear. Strange, demonic markings covered the doors themselves, humming with energy, decorative skulls placed as its frame. The doors themselves were slightly ajar, however, revealing nothing but a black abyss inside and a small group of wounded soldiers limping out of it.

At the top of the path was a single man, far more civilian looking than the surrounding area, wearing a rather plain suit covered by a black poncho… Which did a good (terrible) job of hiding the fact that he only had one arm. His brown hair was tied into a rather rough ponytail, black eyes boring holes into the approaching soldiers, as he took a drag on a cigarette. Quite obviously, this was Markus, the man who had sent out a call for help.

“Hard to believe something like this had been sitting underneath the city” he commented as the Devil Hunters approached, flicking away his cigar as the rest of the soldiers moved past him, both the wounded ones and fresh, “Demons must have a love for putting their shit underneath our stuff. Shit's going to take forever to clean up” he added, before turning to the Devil Hunters.

How they had gotten here was up to them. If they had introduced themselves before hand, that was up to them. At the very least, they were here now, which was quite honestly the best news Markus had heard all day.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clownback shrugs, his smiling harlequin mask failing to conform to the severity of the situation he's inserted himself into.

"When demons hit rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but..."  He scratches his chin.

"No matter.  I do so rarely get to put on a good show for our naughty neighbors."

"My jokes are killer, but..."

"Well, no matter.  I'll have my audience even if it kills them." His chest heaves with silent giggles.

Rama had been air dropped in, landing about the time the others arrived, forgoing a parachute and simply gliding down on golden wings of light he had drug out of his fans, which had now been returned to their place on the back of his waist, like a tail feathers. The faint holy thrum they gave off to those sensitive to such things in sharp contrast to the rest of him, and the twin bows he also carried.

Having just arrived, he most likely went unrecognized by the other hunters, but neglected to introduce himself without being prompted, simply commenting.

"Its an impressive structure. At the very least, perhaps it could be renovated and repurposed, which would aid in cleanup"

A man in a lab coat and scrub pants (possibly full scrubs, but you can't quite tell.) walks up slightly after everyone else, having been busy asking a passing soldier if his hair was done up right. (It was, of course.) If anyone was up to date on weird niche streamers, they'd likely recognize the face of a mister James Stone, better known by his stage name of DVS. A Demon Hunter that supplements his income by streaming jobs and preforming in professional wrestling matches in character as DVS a half-demon and pharmacist. Those looking carefully would see his camera drone in his coat as he nods in greeting to the gathered hunters. "Hm, it's a good thing you called, looks like you need 100 CCs of ass kicking, stat."

“Well” Sam said with a laugh “everyone knows that cleaning always goes faster with a good tune.” after which he snapped his fingers, but instead of the regular snapping noise, it made the sound of a heavy metal guitar riff.  He then pulled his flute off of his belt, tossing it up and then catching it.

“So let’s get this clean up party started.” 

A homeless woman walked up to the demon hunters and Markus, having arrived well before the rest of the group. A black and blue weapon vaguely shaped like a shotgun was slung over her right shoulder by a strap that tugged her already wide open shirt even further apart from itself. The left pocket of her jeans held a red handgun, with a bullet sized hole in the pocket suggesting that this arrangement wasn't exactly safe. On the other side, three bags of white powder were tied to the woman's belt strap.

Bard had arrived early, mostly because he had gotten excited at the idea of a job, but also partly because he literally had nothing else to do. With the others finally arriving, Bard got a chance to look them over, his eyes rapidly darting to each and quickly establishing a basic idea of what he thought was up with each of them.

Spoiler

Hisoka: interesting, probably dangerous. Offer coke.

Kamen rider: small, cute, probably annoying. Offer coke.

Mohawk: definitely a party, probably fun. Punch in the shoulder, offer coke. 

Dr. Doofenshmirtz: health professional, ugh, probably lame. Do not offer coke.

Shiny girl: boring, probably dangerous. Offer coke.

Stylish guy: stylish, probably awesome. Offer coke.

Shiny girl alter: cuter, probably less dangerous. Offer coke.

Flame boy: lamer than he thinks, probably lame. Offer coke.

Monochrome: very cool, probably not dangerous. Offer coke.

"Hey there, I'm... Uhhhh..." Bard started to introduce himself, but his name was beyond him as always. When it didn't come to him, he shrugged and walked over to Mohawk, extending his fist and touching her shoulder very lightly with it. "Anyone want some coke?" he asked the crowd, completely ignoring the girl's reaction to his ineffective punch.

DVS shakes his head at the offer. "No thanks. Trying to cut down." Besides, that would go terribly on stream. Well, fighting demons while coked out would probably go amazingly well but he'd probably be banned if he did coke on stream. Demon hunting didn't pay nearly well enough to get rid of that revenue stream. 

"Brigitte Lughaidh, at your service." Brigitte didn't have the money to hire someone to airdrop her in so she could burn power gently drifting into the battle, but she took comfort in the fact that it would have been on her own wings. She also didn't have the money for coke, and briefly considered accepting "Uhhh's" offer, but quickly decided it wouldn't be practical going forward. "Me and Adeline can handle the issues you've got, here." She couldn't help the faint look of disdain that crept across her face as she reviewed the other comers. There wasn't much to impress her. A homeless drug dealer, a bunch of entertainers, and the one guy who seemed to put way too much effort into his entrance. Even if it did look really cool. On top of that, half of them made her fingers itch the way Adeline used to. Especially the dirty one.

"Soda or- nevermind, have fun with that." Adeline said as she glanced around at the others. Were they all demon hunters? Well, looks could be deceiving - she was pretty sure she just looked like a random girl just out of her teens, not a badass, and here she was. She and Brigitte had just... walked, like normal people. Much more reasonable than ponying up for a pilot nuts enough to fly close to Hellscape these days. She didn't particularly care for drugs, at least not just then. Demon hunting, for her at least, required at least a modicum of self control which cocaine was not exactly known for granting. "Adeline Lughaidh! Here to kick demon ass!" She smiled confidently, slamming a fist into an open palm for emphasis. 

Izumi rather conveniently rolls up after the offer of drugs has been given, thus not hearing any of it.  "Hey over there!  Izumi Nakamura here.  You the rest of the bunch getting sent in to kick demon ass?"  She vaults off her motorcycle, scooping her arsenal out of the various holsters and pouches installed in place of saddlebags.  "Let's get this done.  Sooner we send this lot back to Hell, the sooner I get to stop staying up nights."

"I wasn't offering you any." Bard replied to the doctor with a huff, crossing his arms to accentuate his disproval. 

Bard wasn't a fan of doctors, they were always making a weird fuss about his body. "Breast cancer" this "gynecologist" that. Just a big load of crap, he was fine as he was. He tried to avoid them if at all possible, and he certainly wasn't going to share his powdery lifeblood with one.

“Name’s Sam by the way” he addressed the crowd with a smile and a rock on hand signal. 

“Also yknow what dude? That sounds like a good start to a party after this one” Sam said to the woman who offered, moving towards her. “How much we talkin?”

He looked over at the woman with the motorcycle. Now that was someone who had some style.

Bard pulled a small plastic tube out of his pocket and untied one of the bags of powder, pouring a not-insignificant amount into the tube. He couldn't share too much, but they were heading to fight deadly monsters, it couldn't hurt to be a little friendly to someone who could save his life.

"Here you go, Sam." he said, capping the tube and handing it over with a grin. 

Notably, the grin revealed that Bard possessed extremely pointy canines. Also surprisingly clean teeth for someone who looked like a complete hobo.

Kali snorted a little at Rama's entrance, having ridden a bus to get to hellscape city, and having walked down it's ruined streets, she really didn't get why someone would want to spend all of that money just to make a flashier entrance than usual.

She was tuning her guitar off to the side when she felt someone very lightly tap her shoulder with a fist, turning a little to face Bard before she said, "I'll have to take a raincheck on that, the last time I took a bit of blow before a performance...well let's just say that they didn't expect us to literally burn down the house that time."

She chuckled a little and cracked her knuckles before she slung the guitar back on her shoulder and lightly punched Bard back.

James gave the druggie a look that was one part insulted, five parts confused. He had no idea what he had done to deserve that reaction. He was pretty sure he'd never seen her before, and she certainly didn't look like anyone at the local wrestling matches. Eventually, he had to conclude that Ms. "Anyone want some coke?" knew of his online career and didn't realize that the persona he portrayed was all an act. "Okay, I'm going to pull back the curtain here while the camera isn't rolling, but you do know this is just an act right? I mean, the fighting with demons stuff is real, but shit I'm not even a doctor. I just bought this stuff at Samsmart. Anyone can do it."

Markus

"I'm... Not going to do that" Markus said after a brief but noticeable pause, directed at Rama, "I just want this damn thing out of my city. We don't need to deal with a damn tourist attraction here" he added, glancing at the homeless woman who was offering drugs. He didn't remember calling for help from someone like that, but devil hunters didn't tend to get a lot of pay, so he couldn't judge too much. At the very least, the rest seemed like the fit in the job... In varying degrees at least. He'd have to check if their records on some of these people were up to date.

They probably weren't.

"But... Moving past the entire drug business you have going on, let's get to the point. One of the Devil Hunters arrived earlier, and went in with the last patrol in order to see what she could find. Proclaimed she was some sorta... Angel from an Order of the Sword or some other bullshit. Considering she didn't come back with the patrol, she's either still down there, or got herself killed. I'd go with the later, but you never know.  We haven't managed to get far into the Tomb ourselves, thanks to the fact that the entire thing is crawling with demons, but we've managed to find what we assume is the first checkpoint for the entire thing" he explained, pulling out a rolled up map and then passing it to Izumi, partly because she seemed like the most 'responsible' in the group. Upon inspection, it was really nothing more than a rough sketch or the layout, difficult to decipher except for several key points.

Specifically, the entrance of the Tomb led into a large, expansive hall with several spitting paths, with the end of the hall leading further into a crossroad, the right path being the one to lead to the area labeled as a 'checkpoint'.

"Haven't had the time to explore every nook and cranny of the place, or figure out how the hell the place works" Markus commented, pulling out a new cigar, struggling for a few seconds after putting it in his mouth, as he had to get the lighter as well in order for it to do its job.

Having already forgotten about his earlier action, Bard was a little surprised by the returned punch, but didn't think much of it.

He did think a good deal about the doctor, whose explanation he didn't exactly trust. But he chose to accept it for now. As long as no fuss was made, Bard wouldn't make a fuss either.

As for their task, follow an angel? Bard hoped it was the latter then. Though really he supposed if he was going to be concerned about an angel he needed to be concerned about everyone else here. They were all there to kill demons, there was a good chance they had a reason for that.

"So when do we start?" he asked, his cheerful question not showing a hint of his worries. This wasn't because he was good at hiding them, he'd just immediately stopped caring.

Kali perked up a little bit as the 'tower full of demons' became the topic of choice once more, and she listened intently to what Markus had to say about it all. Of course it ended up sounding like a pain in the ass, but still; what else did you expect from dealing with angels and demons? I mean sure she never expected this to double as a.... well you could call finding out what happened to the angel a rescue mission, but then again; chances were good that it'd end up being a murder investigation, with a very obvious culprit. "The way you're describing that giant eyesore's giving me the impression that you don't seem to like the chances of that angel chick coming out of there alive, or any of us. I like that, makes it all the more satisfying when we win anyway despite going against all rhyme and reason."

"Well, let's get going then!" With only a glance back at Adeline to confirm that she was following, Brigitte strode forward towards the mouth of the labyrinth. "The demons aren't going to kill themselves, and we might still be able to save that angel." Another glance at Adeline, this one with some concern. Maybe she should be careful around full angels; you never knew what was going to happen with them. Much like humans, they were all a bit different. . . but "angel demon hunter" was generally not the kind that was perfectly alright with hybrids, at least in her limited experience.

Once she was inside, barring any sudden attacks by demons, she'd head further in toward the checkpoint.

Rama headed in walking along silently.
Though he was a little unsure about the whole "Rescue the Angel" thing.
His experience with them had not been... the best.

Hey dad what are you thinking?

About the supposed Angel? Its not impossible for them to have died, but if they are alive things could get Dicey. However I think its more likely that if they yet live, and interact with this world often they may be used to being in contact with humans and perhaps half demons. That could prevent a fight from breaking out. If a fight against them does occur I belive our numbers will give us the advantage.

Why do you concern yourselves with-

Shut up Briyante.

With all the probable causes of complications not related to demons taken care of, DVS gives Markus a short salute. "Alright, guess I'm off then. Hey, feel free to check into the stream if you want to check up on our progress without sending people into the dangerous demon filled tower, yeah?" Markus wouldn't really have any time to respond as the demon hunter was already walking off, drone in his hands as he gets to starting it up.

Sam smirked as he was handed the tube, placing it in one of his pockets for later. 

He was looking forward to going into the tower. The talk of an angel had him a bit more interested, for as long as he can remember angels have always given him a bit of a feeling. Not a bad one, but certainly interesting. 

He shucked his shield off of his back and began walking in, whistling and tapping a few keys as he went.

Markus

In response to Kali, Markus shook his head, “Devil Hunters that like to brag don’t sit well with me, specially when you go around boasting that you’re an angel” he stated, turning his head slightly to watch the other Devil Hunters head into the Tomb, “You can start whenever you want, I’ll just make sure to send any late arrivals your way if anymore come” he added. At that point, a new batch of troops had arrived in their positions, taking up posts around the entrance.

Tomb

As soon as the Devil Hunters approached, the door to the Tomb began opening slightly more to make room for them, allowing the group to enter without issue. At first, there was nothing but darkness, but soon after the first foot hit the ground, a row of blue torches along the walls sprung to life, illuminating a field larger than their size would suggest, revealing an expansive cavern supported by various stone pillars, some of which were broken. Similar markings that were on the door were etched into the walls.

However, the most notable thing was the copious amount of blood staining the ground, appearing to have been left from a dragged body, without a single corpse in sight. There was also various guns and burn markings scattered about, but nothing else to indicate where they had come from. It was, for all intents and purposes, empty.

At the very end of the hallway, where the bloodstains lead to, was a towering red wall, markings that appeared as screaming faces flickering around it before fading away, blocking the way forward, as the map showed. In addition, three visible doors, marked with red torches, were scattered across the walls, several more having crumbled with age.

Even without demonic or angel heritage, it was clear that there was something dreadfully wrong with the place. And, for those more magically attuned, the stench of demonic energies was thick, threatening to suffocate.

Muffled whispers echo from the walls.

This place made her hair stand on end. She felt like she could have cut the smell of demonkind in her with her sword, if she'd wanted. "First step is finding that Hunter. It looks like they dragged someone around, or someone dragged themselves around, so I'm following that." The half-angel pulled a strange folding contraption off her back, and it separated into two pieces as she did so; one went to her left, appearing to be a heavy shield, and the other being a lance-like weapon of some variety with a trigger on the handle. Without further ado, Brigitte did as she claimed, following the trail of blood.

Izumi likewise loosens her sword in its sheath as she walks.  "The blood trail could be a sign of where the demon hunter went.  But it could also be bait.  Demons might not often be that bright, but assuming they all won't be is asking for trouble from the smart ones."