A Garbage topic about the First Spongebob Movie.

ShadeStrider

I remember watching this movie as a kid. I should note that I'm talking about the first one, not Sponge out of Water.

If I'm not mistaken, this movie was received well by Spongebob fans, but it does mark the point where Spongebob episodes started losing quality. 

I recently rewatched it, and I gotta say, I think its a good movie.

Its... stupid. That's no surprise, as it is Spongebob after all. That's actually the reason I like it so much. It's cheesy, but not tasteless, although some innuendo (e. g. "Turn you into men") slipped past the censors.

But the biggest reason I liked this movie is the message. Throughout the movie, Spongebob and Patrick are often forced to face the fact that they are, in fact, kids. This is probably something that kids who were paying attention can identify with. The whole message of the film was that your label doesn't exactly define you. Just because you are a "kid" doesn't mean you can't have courage. Just because you are a kid doesn't mean you can't do things out of this world. 

The very fact that Spongebob and Patrick went on this dangerous quest and faced things that probably would have scared Squidward and Mr. Krabs strongly support this message. They faced these things, even though they were kids.

This is actually something that a lot of Parents and Teachers in the real world have trouble teaching. They say it, of course, but they can't really back it up. 

I honestly think that this movie is something that children should see. It presents a great message, and there is plenty of Spongebob humor to keep the story engaging.

For me, the Spongebob humor was entertaining, and the message was heartwarming (And was constantly backed up by the damn film, unlike a certain film that came out in 2017...).

My only complaint is Mindy's voice actor. I don't remember who she was, but Mindy's voice acting was pretty weak.

Spoiler

This isn't a full, comprehensive review of the movie, but it does explain my thoughts regarding it. A Full Comprehensive review would probably take hours.

8/10. Not Flawless, but Still something that people should watch. I do understand that people might get tired out by the Spongebob humor going for 90 minutes. In fact, for me, if that was all there was to it, it probably would have been a 3/10. But the message and the actual Character Development is there to go along with the humor, making it fun to watch.

This could have been a cheap film that just cashed in on the popularity of the Show. But it turned out better than the entire DC cinematic universe.

In terms of going from Cartoon to Movie, I'm glad that it didn't share the same fate as Avatar: The Last Airbender. 

• Like 3

Mindy was voiced by Scarlett Johansson, just so you know. (As in Black Widow from Marvel among many other roles)

The reason this movie was recieved in a more positive light than The Last Airbender mostly has to do with the creator’s wishes. Not only did Stephen Hillenberg directly work on it, but the movie was originally intended to be the finale of Spongebob. Of course, Nickelodeon ended up wanting more because they weren’t going to let a cash cow that massive go. On the other hand, The Last Airbender has no involvement from the original creators on top of a shit ton of other problems 

• Like 1