[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignia only frowned deeper and deeper as she listened to the last of the illusions speak.  So that was how it would be.

"Not only capable.  Willing and able to tear out Hearts." She clenched her armored fist slowly, grinding the metal plates into eachother. "I think this 'King' will find several of us a little harder to chew than children and villagers."

She nodded at Proditor's urge to wait for the others.

"We should group up, and then go confront this King."

"Well then, I think we may need to find Arminius and Rachel sooner rather than later, I'm confident in their ability to stand up in a fight but...I don't know if we can say the same about that kid following after them," Jun opined, starting to worry about the missing two have been up to while they were exploring the castle and its surroundings.

Nader looked over the contents of the room, and with every single item he came across -- the "Nose Nuzzlers Champions", the diary, for God's sake, the Santa Claus outfit -- his frown deepened. This wasn't what the masked man had expected, not at all, not with these illusions talking about how they were going to take all humans' souls in order to destroy the barrier evidently keeping them all trapped here. Nader had expected, perhaps, to see a cowardly tyrant revealed, such as the one he had dealt with so long ago, or failing that the bold and driven planning of a man who believed himself to be doing what needed to be done at all costs... but this, it... to tell the truth, it didn't make much sense to Nader.

It seemed like this King was, more than anything else, a broken man. He had already known that they were killing humans because of the death of the Prince of this place, but Nader supposed that he hadn't thought it could destroy someone so completely... and how could somebody like this manage to kill several people? "None of this makes any sense... this isn't the way that kings are supposed to act. The way that... tyrants are supposed to act. How can this all be? I just..." He just didn't get it. And what did this make the illusions, then? Nader had assumed it was some form of propaganda, but humans probably weren't expected to be in ASGORE's house anyhow, and... well, somebody reduced to this probably wasn't capable of some grand propaganda campaign. Was it for him? Did he feel the need to repeat all of this to himself every day just to justify and motivate him to do the things that he did?

Nader was, however, jarred out of his thoughts by Lucine running into his back. Not by the impact, he barely felt the girl impact against his armor, but by how suddenly being touched on the back had him jump and whirl around before seeing who he was actually looking at. "What the f-- oh. Oh. Ah, Lucine... it's alright. Here, let's go, okay? I've seen what I've needed to see in this place." Gesturing the small girl to follow him as he left the house and met up with the others, Nader found himself lost in thought. He'd seen what he needed to see, but... he would need to process it, as well.

• 4 months later...

--

Rachel + Arminius

S9N1tjK.png

As the skeleton shrugs, a drum sting plays from nowhere, as if to accentuate the joke.

Toriel's cheeks puff as she holds in laughter.

EjErca3.png

Another Drum Sting plays.

fCsnNms.png

The tall skeleton promptly flees the area, leaving you with a skeleton, a small child, and a goat-monster laughing helplessly.

yq3qy68.png

--

The Lab

Lucine fiddles with the locked bathroom door, but it is still locked.

Jun, however, pokes around the computer, finding several things, mostly anime, it seems, but also a few incomplete apps.  One of the apps is just called "Jetpack".

With the tall skeleton gone, Rachel promptly busts a gut laughing as she steps out from behind the vase, "Emperor, that should not be as funny as it is.  Greetings, Mr. Skeleton.  I apologize for the deception of your friend, but we are trying to avoid combat, and I do not think he would have allowed us to pass unaccounted."

Arminius can't help but smirk as he steps away from the lamp. He would have been furious if they had actually gotten caught, but... well, puns would help lighten anyone's mood. "Yeah. Thankfully, he's a little bone headed." Arminius chuckles to himself for a moment before coughing. 

Ignia stands up with an indignant look at Jun.
"What the hell?  Do you always just knock people out of chairs while they're working?"

Once Jun moves again Ignia will root around in the computer some more, looking for anything that points to who exactly the cameras are actively tracking.  One of our party members or the kid.

Proditor

For now, Proditor just waited for Ignia to check the computer, although he floated up to see how the keyblade warrior was doing. It felt like a more pressing matter at the moment, figuring that out, but once they figured out who the computer was tracking, they could focus a bit more on other mysteries. Like what was currently beneath them.

Nader sighed. "Nothing else from these papers, for now. But I've about got what I need, I think... at least from the public portion of the lab. There's no fucking way this is the entirety of this place, not with the shit they've got going on around here. This isn't anywhere near big enough for the kind of work I've been hearing about... especially considering the kind of shit the previous doctor made... the CORE or the ascension. I guarantee you that there's more to this place." Nader lapsed into silence before he looked around the lab. Computer... desk... fridge... bathroom door. Oh, wait a minute... "Monsters don't poop... what the hell... why did they tell me that? That's... a blatant hint. They want me to see this, then. The whole thing! Why?" Frowning, Nader clanked over towards that bathroom door. 

With Lucine out of the way of the door, Nader elected to make his own attempt at opening the door. And as a very large, very strong man in full, heavy armor, his method of trying to get that "bathroom door" open was rather different than Lucine's. "Let's see if I have to end up fucking with any keys at all, huh?" Specifically, he walked up, roared, raised a leg, and proceeded to drive his entire weight (in the high 300s with all his gear) into his foot, kicking the door as hard as he possibly fucking could -- a real heavy metal blow. "HYAH!" To hell with subtlety, they were already watching him, right? So he was going to do one of the things he did best.

• 3 weeks later...

-Rachel + Arminius

ZqzICwO.png

-The Lab

Riding the Conveyer Belt up to the top floor, Lucine discovers a room with various things.  Bookshelves, a Workbench, a Strange Machine, a Wardrobe, a Writing Desk, and a  Mysterious Box.

Nader roars, kicking open the door and revealing an elevator.  The elevator only has two options, up, and down.

(11, 10) Ignis isn't sure who the camera is tracking, but it stands to reason that if it isn't tracking any of the party members here, then it probably isn't tracking any of the party members there either.  The child must be the camera's focus, by order of elimination.

Jun finds that the Jetpack App returns an error.  It's a mobile phone app!

Sister Rachel considers the request.  On the one hand, confronting someone specifically looking for humans to capture could make it challenging to complete her objective of not killing anyone other than Asgore.  On the other, Papyrus seemed intent on capturing a human, not killing one.  In her eyes, he did not appear to be lying.  And if the danger is much greater than anticipated, she could always use her jump pack to escape.

"And should you come across not the heretic but the ignorant or the wavering, it is necessary to win over their hearts and minds through deeds and words of compassion and glory," Sister Rachel quotes, "I could meet with him."

Lucine glanced around her new surroundings. They seemed slightly more promising than her previous ones, at least, and she was getting bored, so hopefully something interesting would happen. The first matter was, of course, finding out what everything was, and since there were only two things whose function was non-obvious, she started with those. Lucine heads for the mysterious box, opening it and examining its contents.

"HA-HA!" Nader cried out jubilantly, violently jabbing a finger down at the floor of the elevator. "I FUCKING KNEW IT! YOU THINK YOUR FUCKIN' SECRET LAB IS GOING TO BE HIDDEN LIKE THAT? Monsters don't poop you stupid bastards maybe you figured I'd not figure it out despite being told and then I'd come and I'd search and I'd not find it, huh? But I figured that you'd figure that I'd figure that I'd-- I kn-- I knew it, see, I told you fuckers, now let's go see what you have hidden from for me down there, huuuuh?" Nader jabbed his finger at the floor again, and then as if what he'd just said hadn't been anything unusual at all, Nader peeked his head back out of the doorway and waved the overs over. "Hey! I found an elevator they didn't hide too well down here, it goes down to where the meat of this whole twisted operation is kept! I'm going down -- you all ought to follow me, though, because this is where we're all going to see what's REALLY going on in this place, I promise you that."

And with that, Nader stepped fully into the elevator, giving anyone who wanted to quickly leap into the elevator to follow him a chance to do so -- otherwise, he didn't wait long, punching the down button on the elevator and preparing to be shown the truth behind this compound of the creation of false gods through reality. He was the one being given the chance to find the truth, and while he didn't doubt that it was in truth some variety of little game this cabal was playing with him, he'd play into that role in his own way up until the point where he finally got the chance to turn the tables. Let's see, he thought, how they liked that...

After finishing her search Ignia leaves the computer for Jun's browsing and turns back to Proditor.

"Well the camera isn't following any of us, or that dragon girl, and chances are good it also isn't following the other two.  I also doubt it tracks the locals, so that really only leaves the child."

She shrugged and looked back to stare at the monitor.

"I wonder why the multiverse has such a thing for children?  They've always got such strong Hearts, regardless of what horrors are thrown at them.  Maybe its one big coincidence."

Proditor

"... Perhaps so. Though that brings up the question of what the child could be. If they're more than-" Proditor began after a moment of thought, only to be quickly interrupted by a shouting Nader, yelling about an elevator that went... Down. "Excuse me" the alien quickly said, already floating away from Ignia to meet up with Nader before the latter sent the elevator down, having to bend down quite a bit just to fit inside, "I should say that earlier, when I was sensing the area for any signs of inhabitants, I felt something far below us. As we're going down anyway, it's not as important... But there is something below this lab."

Ignia watched as Proditor followed behind Nader, making an effort not to roll her eyes at the man's...exclamations.

"I'm going to head up stairs and take a look, I'll make sure the other two and I catch up after another few minutes of looking around."

Ignia then turned away from Proditor and did just that, heading up the conveyor belt to the upstairs.  Once on the second floor her attention was grabbed by the Workbench, she walked over to it and began checking what tools or projects might be on it.

• 2 months later...

-Rachel + Arminius

"thanks a million.  I'll be up ahead." Sans says, winking as he turns and walks past the two of you, down the way you came.

As soon as you blink, he disappears.

Further down the path, the child stops near a seemingly random spot.

(The convenience of those lamps still fill you with Determination), he hears a ghostly voice announce.

The road forks, and in the middle of the fork, there is a box, with a sign next to it.  Arminius hears the voice read it.  (This is a box, you can put things inside it or take things out of it.  The same box will appear later, so don't worry about coming back.  Sincerely; A box lover.)

-The Lab

Lucine opens the mysterious box... Amazing, it seems the box folds out into a hard-to-draw bed!

Ignis discovers that the Workbench is covered in blueprints for a bizarre, boxy robot.  The tools themselves seem to operate using magical power.

Intriguingly, the blueprints depict an upside down heart being turned right side up, and then placed inside the android body.

More intriguingly, the gigantic anime poster dominating the wall behind the workbench is larger than the blueprints themselves...

-Nader + Prodditor

The Elevator goes down, slowly at first, before stopping.

"WARNING!  WARNING!  ELEVATOR LOSING POWER!  EM TETHER STABILITY LOST!"

The elevator crashes down violently, and, testing the buttons, it seems it won't be going back up any time soon...

The air feels cold, and dark, even though the lights are still on.

"Hm.  How odd.  Well, I suppose there's an easy way to test this," Sister Rachel digs around in her pack, comes up with a spent bolter round casing, and places it in the box, "If we get this back the next time we find such a box, we'll know it's safe to use."

Jun tries to see if she can't find a mobile phone or USB device to transfer the jetpack app to, before scouring the ground floor in search of anything interesting the others might have missed earlier, and choice hiding positions in case the lab's owner suddenly barges in.