[IC] ALTEREDNU

Hal Henderics

Rachel dashes past Lucine and the bladed wings on her jump pack extend with a harsh rasp of ceramite on steel.  The ancient technology humming with power, she leaps headlong into the hole after the kid, hoping to catch her before she can land unsafely.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calvera herself just steps forward, and lifts Lucine back to ground with her gravity well before dispersing it, leaving Lucine standing. She steps forward, and give Lucine a short hug. "It's okay... accidents happen. We know you didn't mean to... I'm sure the others will be able to get the kid back up here." Calvera herself wasn't one to normally try comforting others, mainly because she always felt like she made whatever situation worse. Especially after someone, granted she didn't remember who, going off on her after trying to comfort Satomi before. Yet, her she was, giving it another try. She felt oddly comfortable with it.

Proditor

Surprisingly, events had transpired faster than Proditor has expected, a slight lapse in concentration causing both the small girl, Lucine as he recalled, and the child to fall into the hole. Thankfully, Calvera had managed to prevent Lucine from falling in, but the child was not as lucky.

And then both Arminius and Rachel had flown into the pit after them, so they at least had someone taking care of the problem.

Silently though, Proditor floated towards the edge of the pit, his helmeted head staring down into the abyss as he began using his psionics to, once again, feel his way down the pit. He was expecting to find Rachel and Arminius down there, but it was mostly to see how big of a hole it was.

Rachel and Arminius both leap down the pit, chasing after the fallen child.

As they both fly down at respectably insane speeds, things begin to get... strange.

The cave walls shift and distort as they fall, everything turning vivid shades of black and white, before...

(2, 9) (3, 20)

Arminius crashes ingracefully into a bed of flowers.

Rachel, meanwhile, explodes the terrain in a blaze of jump-jet assisted glory.

Nobody seems to be visibly harmed, but the child is unconscious.

(16, 8)

Arminius senses a presence nearby, like some kind of ghost, but... invisible.

-

(13, 19)

As Proditor reaches down into the pit mentally, he finds himself experiencing a novel sensation.  His psionic energy seemingly disappears completely from his senses once it passes...

Something.

Something incredibly potent, almost like a black hole, once he sends feelers in, he can't drag anything back out.

He can still tell that the energy wasn't simply destroyed, as it is still connected in some fashion to the rest of the psionic energy at his disposal, but it's almost as though it's caught, like a chinese finger trap, or perhaps a rag stuck in a vacuum cleaner.

”What the fu...”” Nader spoke but trailed off as he carefully advanced towards the hole — but not the rim of it, seeing as he was rather wary of falling and fucking dying. He had been rather late to the action because he’d both been keeping up the rear and being as slow as he usually was with his hundreds of pounds of gear. He looked down at the gigantic hole, and then at Lucine — yeah... he couldn’t imagine that having a fantastic effect on a kid, but right now he had something else to deal with. Specifically, Nader stared at the hole for a few moments, and after Rachel and Arminius didn’t come back up he looked at Proditor. ”Well, fuck. Now the fuck what?”

Proditor

Curiosity. That was Proditor's reaction to what he felt. For the most part though, he simply disconnected that part of his feelers, returning himself to his physical body as he spoke, "There's a certain energy within this pit. A kind of barrier that disrupts my psionics from returning after going through" he explained to the rest of the group, "I cannot tell how deep it is, but I highly doubt the child, Arminius, nor Rachel have died from the fall. This is likely what we were sent to deal with" Proditor continued, his body shifting sightly to face the others.

After carefully going through each of his extremities, and finding that they weren't in terrible pain just for existing, Arminius sat up. That could have gone better... But for now he had to check the kid. He quickly approached and checked over them, and after assuring himself that while Rachel was a paladin the kid seemed human enough to pass any inspection, he noticed a presence. This was familiar to him, a presence that one could often feel if they were around graveyards and areas with lots of death often enough.... But there wasn't an entity attached to it.

This was strange enough to instantly draw Arminius towards the presence.

Ignia stands and watches the whole series of events with a relative calm, some of these people were certainly....eccentric, though was she really one to talk?

She nodded at Proditor's explanation and thought to herself for a moment.  She had her own suspicions of where it might lead and hoped she was wrong.  None of these people would survive the Realm of Darkness, except for maybe the child and the doctor.

"I think I've seen this kind of magic before.  It's almost definitely a doorway, but finding out where it leads won't be easy without....you know."

She gave a motion with one hand that sort of mimicked someone diving headfirst.

"Well, it seems that sliding down there's the only way forward for now, unless anyone else's got a better idea that is?," Jun asked as she paced around for a bit, trying to check if there was anything else of immediate interest in the cave.

Rachel jogs over to Arminius, readying her Medicae.  'No visible wounds' is not the same as 'no wounds', after all, and standard Imperium triage procedure combined with common sense dictates that in an unknown environment, medical attention should be given to those best able to fight first.  "Arminius, are you injured?" She asks, "Be wary.  We shall need to watch each other's backs in this place if we're to get the child out safely.  The God-Emperor only knows what might be lurking here, and He hasn't seen fit to share his knowledge with me.  Could be friendly, of course.  But one cannot count on things always going right.  If you are well enough to fight, I will check on the child."

Lucine shakily returned the hug - she didn't really know Calvera outside of having overheard her name a couple times, but she didn't exactly feel threatened by the woman. She glanced around awkwardly, still looking thoroughly unsettled after Arminius and Rachel took their respective dives into the hole. She felt helpless, even more than usual. Disengaging herself from Calvera, she turned to look at the hole, taking an instinctive step backwards from it (despite her already-safe distance.) "If it's a door, that means that kid is okay, right?" Her tone was almost pleading. "And we should be able to just go back through, since we have a bunch of people that can fly." Reversing her path, she edged toward the precipice, peering down into its seemingly-empty darkness. Despite her own words, she wasn't entirely keen on just jumping in.

Proditor

"Possibly... But I doubt we'll be able to exit through the same way. The 'door' prevented my psionics from being able to send back information to me" Proditor stated, turning slightly to Lucine, "But, as I said, this is likely where we must go. I should be able to safely bring the rest of us down... For the ones with no way to control their descent, at the very least."

Nader, judging from the crossing of his arms, wasn’t terribly impressed. ”Alright, hold up. You’ve mostly got impressions to work off of here, Proditor. Even if they’re psychic impressions, you don’t seem to actually know what state they’re in there. Even if they aren’t dead, they could be extremely injured, or they could be stuck in a trap and captured if this entrance was foreseen as a potential point at which to capture travelers in a particular state of vulnerability. After all, if you’ve just fallen a long distance and are hurt or even just stunned then you’re easy prey. Especially in my armor, I don’t think that just... blindly fucking jumping blindly down there is a good idea.

The details are a little unclear, since the vision was frankly pretty fucking freaky to me, but wasn’t there a doorway in another spot on that mountain? Big-ass hall behind it, and all?”

"I mean... I don't know about you, sir..." Calvera gestured to Nader, and smiled. "But I think if we're able to control our descent, as Proditor mentioned, I think we'll be okay! And... we got two of our own down there, I'm definitely not going to leave them alone. Speaking of which..." She stepped towards the edge, and "flipped the switch" on her levitation, and began to slowly descend down the chasm. "Feel free to help!" With that said, she continued her descent, and uses Blinding Light to light the path below her, as her body begins to glow with white light.

Lucine glanced between the (now-glowing) pit, Proditor, and Nader, then evidently made her choice. She shuffled closer to the armored man. "A door sounds nicer than a giant hole." Part of her agreed with the others; she felt especially guilty since she had tipped the child into the pit and had to be bailed out herself. . . but that didn't make leaping into it again look any friendlier, especially after Nader laid out exactly why that was a bad idea. 

Jun couldn't help but agree with Nader for this, mostly because she didn't really find the idea of jumping down a seemingly bottomless dark pit to be a particularly good one as well, no matter what some of the others were saying, "Honestly, I'm going to have to go with Nader on this one, we have no idea what happened to everyone up here, and I'm not too keen on sliding down a dark psionics absorbing pit to find out what happened to everyone down there just yet.."

She started to back away from the pit itself before she continued with, "That and besides, if everyone's in trouble down there, I don't think that we'd be of much help if we all come tumbling down a giant funnel, and if they're not in any trouble, then I think that we can take our sweet time with finding an entrance that doesn't look like a setpiece from a bad horror movie."

Proditor

... How Proditor had forgotten about the 'door' was lost to him. Perhaps he was finally getting senile in his age.

"I see. Then perhaps we should start searching. We can rendezvous with the others inside" Proditor replied with a small nod, now floating away from the pit himself. Arminius, Rachel, and Calvera should be able to handle themselves without issue, even if they had to watch a child as well.

(19, 5)

Arminius catches the ass-end of a monologue he suspects was meant for the unconscious child below him.

undertale_text_box.gif.a7ec4e6ac5ce4728bf468856fa7b7f20.gif

It's at this point that the child wakes up.

Rachel, meanwhile, finds that everyone but the flowerbed are in perfect health.

The flowerbed is a lost cause after several hundred pounds of power armor and several hundred kelvin of jumpjets impacted it, turning it into a crater.

Calvera slowly drifts down, as she disappears out of sight, she encounters a strange... something.

The walls slowly melt away into waves of black and white, dragging her down into the unknown depths below.

She promptly lands on the ground with the rest of the gang, with the flower patch destroyed, her fall is a bit rougher than theirs.  Someone could probably get hurt, falling down here now.

-

The rest of the gang who opt not to leap into the pit are possessed by a malign spirit of logic, and decide to circumnavigate the mountain, using their memories of the vision to piece out where the second entrance to the underground is.

They succeed after a somewhat long hike, coming up to the dark, western side of the mountain, up onto a large, flat area that looks almost manmade.  Nothing but a black tunnel ahead of them.

Calvera dusts herself off, and looks to Arminius and Rachel, smiling seeing they're okay. "Hey, glad to see you two are alright. Figured I'd come to keep you guys company. Strength in numbers and all... the others went to find the door from the vision. Couldn't bring myself to let you two be down here by yourselves. Especially considering we're here to fix whatever is going on here... anyhow... need a light?" Calvera continues her glowing if it's a little too dark to see. No sense trudging around in the darkness.

Arminius nods, then after a moment shrugs. "I thought I was okay but I'm pretty sure I just caught a bit of... something... not meant for me. Hey Kid, you okay!?" Arminius quickly rushes check up on the child, now that they're moving. Moving is good after all.

"Something is very odd about this place," Rachel observes uneasily, "If it was chaos, it'd probably have tried to attack us by now, so unless either of you have any ideas we're stuck in an unknown, possibly hostile location with a kid.  We need to find a safe place to set up a base of operations and secure a perimeter.  We could be down here for a while, and we'll need a place to sleep."

Calvera shrugs, and looks around, her gaze setting on the flower bed. "Question... Do flowers normally grow underground?" She picked one up to inspect, then dropped it. "And here's an idea... so we saw a door in our vision... maybe there's people here? There have been everywhere we've gone so far... so maybe there are some here... and maybe we can find shelter with them?" Calvera knew it was a long shot, but it was worth the wondering. Maybe there were others down here that could help them... or maybe they were killers. She didn't know, but it was worth a shot in her eyes.

Proditor

"It seems this is it" Proditor said, needlessy, as the group came up to the 'door' of the mountain, an inky abyss remaining in front of them, as it had before at the pit. If the vision was correct, going through this place would lead them to a large bed of flowers, taken care of by a single creature. At least, if it was the same entrance, and the vision was accurate.

Testing this, Proditor send out some psionic energy into the cave, seeing if he feels a similar effect to the pit.

Arminius nods. "At the very least we can get some reconnaissance going... I can get some reconnaissance going, and we can get a better idea of where we want to go since I doubt we can go back up the pit." With that he stands up and starts trying to find what exits there are to this area of the cave.