Should friendship be added to mega evolution?

Samtale

would you be apposed to max friendship being a requirement to mega evolve  

35 members have voted

1. 1. would you be apposed to max friendship being a requirement to mega evolve

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not even interested in mega evolution
    • I don't care one way or the other

• Developers

After looking at a youtube video going in depth about ORAS the youtuber made a excellent point that I'm sure others have thought about before.

Mega evolution was a mechanic that was meant to show a bond of the trainer and pokemon ,but that doesn't really add up when any pokemon can do this

at any point. There should be requirement of max happiness to really demonstrate that not just anyone can do this ,and that there is a connection going on.

A npc could be implemented to let you know if you've reached max happiness don't exactly know if salons are in all main games ,but they could the solution for that.

So please let me know what your thoughts are, here is that video that made me want to make this topic.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

It would make sense at least from a story perspective. 

I feel as if the only reason this isn't done at all is because it'd add a little to the grind of making competitive mons, and because at least in most of the main pokemon games(around BW and forward) your character is supposed to be capable of befriending any pokemon quite easily, almost effortlessly. 

But aside from that, it really doesn't make any sense that you can just slap a megastone on any pokemon that it belongs to and mega evolve it.

• Like 1

Guest Relinquished

No? Because friendship drops, after certain things happen (like fainting). Struggling to always keep it mint-high, would be hell, as well as pointless?

I’m down with the idea. Plus, the whole existence of Ash-Greninja and the ability Battle Bond are based in the entirety of this concept with the intent of shrouding it as a mega evolution. It really should be canon when you think about it.

I always thought there was some sort of dissonance between npcs that talk about "mega-evolution is the ultimate form of bond between you and your pokemon !" and you just slapping a mega-stone on a pokemon you just caught. Even funnier : in a fangame called pokemon Metal, you get the mega-ring, a blazikenite and a blaziken from a guy who spends visibly days to mega-evolve it. He just says "fuck it, i'll never succeed. Here, have this." and give it to you, so you can literally start a wild encounter and mega-evolve his blaziken RIGHT BESIDES HIM.

So yeah, i'm a partisan of the happiness mechanic. Not absolute max however, that would mean each ko would stop you from mega-evolving and it would be a pain, but maybe around the same level of happiness than an evolution (so 220+). Still leaves a good margin.

• Like 1

From a story perspective,  yes. Very much so. 

The description is awesome on paper, but holes start tp appear when Pokemon can suddenly achieve it without having a bond with a trainer.

Mewtwo from the genesect movie and Lucario from Insurgence come to mind. 

7 hours ago, Ulti said:

From a story perspective,  yes. Very much so. 

The description is awesome on paper, but holes start tp appear when Pokemon can suddenly achieve it without having a bond with a trainer.

Mewtwo from the genesect movie and Lucario from Insurgence come to mind. 

The Lucario from Insurgence is actually legit though. It's later explained that it's Cynthia's, that she was observing the scene from afar and triggered the mega-evolution herself. Can't remember exactly when though, but it's pretty far in the game, maybe even in postgame.

As for Mewtwo... It's just Mewtwo being Mewtwo i guess ? Also, can we really apply the canon of the game to the anime ? Remember that Onix beaten by a Pikachu and the countless other example of this genre ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Siragon said:

The Lucario from Insurgence is actually legit though. It's later explained that it's Cynthia's, that she was observing the scene from afar and triggered the mega-evolution herself. Can't remember exactly when though, but it's pretty far in the game, maybe even in postgame.

As for Mewtwo... It's just Mewtwo being Mewtwo i guess ?

Wow. I actually forgot about that. Lol. Might have to re-visit insurgence later.