Does Reborn ever get you frustrated?

Monochrome_Complex

I think reborn and really pokemon in general is one of the few games that can consistently push my buttons. I guess part of it is due to how chance based some of it is, but I feel like I get more frustrated playing these games more than I do say fighting games or soulsbourne or whatever. There's just something about pokemon that kills my chill like no other. Funnily enough this isn't the case playing with actual people, just singleplayer. 

Like I still enjoy them and sometimes they feel relaxing but other times man I get saltier than the pacific ocean. Like an untimely critical, stuff missing when you don't need to, flinching 3+ times in a row...stuff like that. That's where I just lose all cool.

Not really. Bad rng, bad rolls and such can hurt and be annoying but I accepted a long time ago that it's pokemon and that's just the game we play sometimes. 

This is why in playthroughs and even competitive I try to avoid letting situations boil down to requiring any luck for me to win. The only time I get really salty  is when I'm dealing with stall in competitive and I've misplayed so that I don't have a foolproof way to break through. Then it's up to whether I feel like making things right by putting in the extra effort or just giving up.

^ Me too. Though in my very first playthrough since I was a dumb newbie, I basically rage quit in a very shofu way when I battled Florinia and Ciel. Those two gym battles are something that I will never ever forget....... I suddenly have war flashbacks. But nonetheless, I love Pokemon competitively and the same goes for the canon! Many people really despise the rng because of unpredictability but for me I really like it. The battle will always be in anyone's favor and nothing can really be certain, such is the fun aspect of competing.

If i had to name a specific point in reborn, it would be the Heracross/Pinsir Puzzle during my first playthrough. I somehow managed to complete it without ragequitting, but it was still frustrating as all hell. In terms of gyms i'd say Ciel and Samson because of the luck based field. RNG can be a B***h sometimes.

I haven't even played the game in close to 2 years, but the thing that made me quit for a long time was the boss fight of the water cleaning plant. I couldn't beat it until today.

Guest Relinquished

There are points that get me frustrated. Like:

1. Whenever you team up with somebody and in the double wild battle, a pokemon you really want (rare/shiny one) appears... And your ally kills it mercilessly.

2. Or a wild pokemon with 1% encounter rate/chance, uses a move that makes it faint, or ends the battle.

3. Or going for a battle like Pyrous Mountain Solaris Garchomp, pairing with an ally, reaching the climax first and then realizing you forgot your Destiny Bond/whatever ace, back in the pokemon center (going back has a relationship points toll, losing the battle also).

Stuff like that.

If i really think on it, it has to how harsh the game can be when regarding the aftermath of your decisions. 

I mean, i didn't particularly "enjoy" the gauntlet in the mirror factory from a gameplay perspective , but storywise, i think it helps in selling just how much of a monster you are as a battler. 

Makes for a pretty nice twist too. 

Hardy mostly spammed rock slide in his gym battle which wasn't fun. 

But yeah, when you fuck up, the game let's you know you fucked up. That could however just be from the route ended up on.

When i first started reborn, i didn't know Skill link was a thing.

So when i battled Noel, i was like: Okay if this Cinccino just hits me with 3 or less hits with Tail Slap (or idk what move) i should be good.

And i restarted the game sooo many times and every time it hit me 5 times and i got soooo angry 😂😂

Then i looked it up, and i was like omg i'm so dumb.

Figured out a strategy to live Cinccino's hits. Only to find out that it was holding a king's rock.

So it would take me again so many tries to not get flinched.

That sh1t literally made me take a break of Reborn for a couple of weeks. I was so pissed 😂

23 hours ago, Maqqy said:

^ Me too. Though in my very first playthrough since I was a dumb newbie, I basically rage quit in a very shofu way when I battled Florinia and Ciel. Those two gym battles are something that I will never ever forget....... I suddenly have war flashbacks. But nonetheless, I love Pokemon competitively and the same goes for the canon! Many people really despise the rng because of unpredictability but for me I really like it. The battle will always be in anyone's favor and nothing can really be certain, such is the fun aspect of competing.

I rage quit my first playthrough at the wasteland. I really didn't feel like dealing with all of that wasteland field BS and having to grind up a whole different team. This was back ep 15. 

I didn't come back to the game until ep 17. This time I understood better what the game was trying to do. Did I struggle? Hell yes. But I wasn't punishing myself anymore. 

Yes. First time I battle Charlotte ever (back before the Gen VII addition) I basically battled her a couple times until I got frustrated and rage quitted, then breathed for a day or so and then tried again. And that's not the only battle who's tried my patience lol

But in general even if it grinds my gears from time to time it always manages to leave a good impression on me lol

I'm still kinda new to the game, but one thing that killed all my sanity was Shelly's Gym puzzle, I hate that portion with passion

And the overall scuminess or unexpected difficulty spikes/unwinnable fights. In my first attempt at nuzlocking, I ogt swept by Solaris' garchomp on Pyrous Mountain, lose the nuzlocke bc that's how i rolled back there and made me ragequit the game for almost two years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AZzy said:

I'm still kinda new to the game, but one thing that killed all my sanity was Shelly's Gym puzzle, I hate that portion with passion

And the overall scuminess or unexpected difficulty spikes/unwinnable fights. In my first attempt at nuzlocking, I ogt swept by Solaris' garchomp on Pyrous Mountain, lose the nuzlocke bc that's how i rolled back there and made me ragequit the game for almost two years.

To this day, after multiple playthroughs, that puzzle still gives me issues from time to time. like I sort of get it now but  I always end up screwing it up and it takes me like 10 -15 minutes sometimes if not more getting it right. I hate her gym too.

• Upvote 1