Should the MC talk more?

Magus543

Title says it all. I feel the MC should at least have more dialogue options especially considering there is potential for more emotional investment. 

Spoiler

For example, like interactions between us and Team Xen, Madame X kills our Mom, and Melia is the one who gets the rivalry with her instead of us. Don't get me wrong, i actually like Melia but let us interact more or at least let the MC emote more. During the bad future sections, when we see Madame X, i was expecting the MC to be FURIOUS to see her, but Melia is the one who acts pissed and is the one in the ending of V10 to get the heroic vow to defeat Madame X instead of us. Again i don't consider Melia to be a mary sue but she gets called that because we as the audience want to see our MC be more pro-active during the plot, so if you balance the plot centralizing more things will be better. I know silent protagonist syndrome is the reason, but c'mon, our MC already breaks Pokemon tradition by not wearing a hat, what's more traditions? And another thing, what's up with those two imposters in GDC? and why were we so passive during it? I was expecting us to get on stage and confront them but NOPE.  I'm hoping the team addresses them soon, but there are like so many plot points to resolve it's going to take a while. Thoughts?  

• Upvote 1

The problem with more dialogue options, no matter how much I would like them, is there would be a lot of work as not only do you have the new options, you have the character's response and impact on the narrative that would need to be kept track of.  The other option is to have the PC have their own non player controlled dialogue but I would hate the implication as IMO part of the appeal, especially in the newer Pokemon titles, is that YOU are the trainer. (which is the reason why Red despite being his own person is silent)

Okay i get that, fair point. But at least let our PC emote more. 

Spoiler

Like again, meeting up with Madame X, our PC should have been furious to see her again, especially after how much emotional anguish the game sold us during Nancy's death scene. And hey i liked that the game is giving us options like the team Bladestar split. But i do understand more dialogue options are time consuming. Still the few ones we do get are decent enough. 

To be honest, I think the whole silent protagonist concept is lazy and mundane, I myself am not asking much about this, all I want are a few more dialogue options, they don't even need to be impactful, just anything at all would make the game better.

3 minutes ago, Mrlolster said:

To be honest, I think the whole silent protagonist concept is lazy and mundane, I myself am not asking much about this, all I want are a few more dialogue options, they don't even need to be impactful, just anything at all would make the game better.

The reason why silent protagonist were created was due to constraints in videogames back in the ye ole NES days. Nowadays technology has made it more cost effective to have talking protagonists. Only reason we have silent protagonists in Pokemon games is pretty much "that's how they're supposed to be".

One counter point I will make is that Rejuv gives a lot of choices in the game. Probably more than you can recollect. I don't think adding more player inputs would really swing people or satisfy them as you'd expect. 

25 minutes ago, Commander said:

I don't think adding more player inputs would really swing people or satisfy them as you'd expect. 

Yeah, it would give an extra "well thats cool" at best. But it is still something i guess?

I guess Melia is our story protagonist. She's our MC who can talk. In comparisons between Reborn and Rejuvenation, a common point raised, is that in Reborn, our PC is a sideshow to the Gym Leaders( and apparently they are based on real life people?) and the Gym leaders get all the cool scenes and plot relevant dialogue, while in Rejuvenation our PC is still a main character despite attention given to other Gym leaders.  

Jan probably has something planned for the mc. It wouldnt make sense that he made so many references to them not talking if that wasnt the case (and considering what happened in V11, I'd guess its happening soon)

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Considering we may have some sort of split personality in us, there may be something to it. Maybe it's like Aelita's reincarnation where somehow Taela and Vivian's souls are separate from Aelita despite being a reincarnation. I hope he handles this with care, because i think all of us have our own idea of how the MC acts. Yeah i know this may make me sound unpleasable, but i'm in favor of more dialogue options(within reason) not a full blown personality.