[TOOL] Translation Manager

Waynolt

Hi!
So, uhm... I wanted to start translating the game.
I know, the advice is to just wait until it is done... but still, wanted to start.

Turns out the amount of lines to translate is WAY higher than I expected... yet, since the program is made, why not upload it? Maybe someone will find it useful.

Why would it be useful?
Well, for starters it makes it easy to find the untranslated lines.
Secondly, it can import older translations into new episodes, which means that it will check on its own which lines have been changed and just import the rest. (The file needed for this is the .txt from the previous episode's Translations folder, which only exists if using this application)
Thirdly, it can import partial translations from multiple .txt sources (thus a team can divide the workload by line numbers and then merge each part in a single final result).

At least, as long as it actually does what is advertised... as I said, it has been made and tested but never actually used to make a full translation 😅
Readme file included in the download.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eCMtmW4QcFt361MSGe8t6kx9NsxXKAQW
Version 1.14 - updated 4/4/2019

Source code: https://github.com/Waynolt/RebornTranslationManager

Extract the downloaded archive into Reborn's folder, load the translation manager, and translate away.

After saving your work, load the game - it will freeze a little while it compiles the translation (it only happens once after editing, then never again until you edit the translation again) - and check the result.
Anything else should be handled automatically by the translation manager.

(Please note that you need to select the desired language in the game's Main Menu in order to be able to see it in-game)

(Also, save often, and please note that selecting a different language to translate will discard unsaved changes in the current one)

A little bit of info on the relevant files:
Required to distribute the finished translation:
\Data\english.dat : this is the compiled translation, the one that the game actually uses; it is created/updated when launching the game after using the translation manager
\Translations\english.dat.txt : this is the file that the translation manager actually opens and edits, and it's also the one that can be imported in a new episode
\Data\Mods\Languages.rb : this is generated/updated by the translation manager, and simply informs the game that a language named English exists, and that the file english.dat is its compiled translation

\Data\Mods\Languages_ScriptsFix.rb : this mod fixes a few issues with how Reborn handles translations; it is created by the translation manager when first started

Other files (they become mostly obsolete once you finish translating the game):
\Data\Mods\Languages_Compile.rb : this tells the game to compile the files edited by the translation manager; it is created by the translation manager when first started
Any .temp file in \Translations\ : these are just safeguards against save errors (+ one of them actually acts as a placeholder before compiling the translation)
\intl.txt : this is the result of using "extract text" from the debug menu, and is used as a template by the translation manager; when a new episode comes out, this file has to be updated (i.e. extracted again with the option "extract text" from the debug menu)

\RebornTranslationManager.exe : this is the translation manager
\RebornTranslationManager_ReadMe.txt : this is the readme file for the translation manager

(Thanks to @AiedailEclipsed for pointing out that Essentials already has most of the stuff required for translating the game!)
(Also thanks to @TheTGU for restructuring the default groups!)

Changelog:

v1.14

> Better default groups.

v1.13

> Fixed a bug in merging files based on line groups.

v1.12

> It is now possible to merge files based on line groups.

> It is now possible to jump directly to the first line of a group from the groups' menu.

v1.11

> Added feature: line groups.

> Now saves which were the last selected translation and line and auto-loads them on startup.

v1.10

> Added the possibility to export a .zip file with all required to distribute the translation.

> Back to being a 64 bit application; I'll recompile it for 32 bit systems only if asked to.

v1.09

> Various bugfixes.

v1.08

> Hiding/showing the untranslated lines should now be much faster.

v1.07

> Recompiled as a win32 application, for increased compatibility (simplified explanation: win64 apps only work on win64 systems, while win32 apps work everywhere)

v1.06
> Resizing the translation manager will move/resize its fields, grids, and buttons.

v1.05
> Started changelog
> Added the option to Import->Merge translation files.

• Like 3

Well then, I guess I'll be translating the game into German...

Thanks for making translating the game in general as well as in an unfinished state (meaning it will still get updates or in other words E19) a bearable task! 🙂

I'll make a topic for the translation once I'm at a point where I can say that I'll eventually finish it.

Edit: [REMOVED]

Weird, it works on my end... please send me the files that cause the crash on your end (or, if you are not sure which ones are causing it, please send me Data\german.dat, the whole Translations folder, and every "Languages" mod)

53 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

Give me a second, I need to upload it elsewhere due to file size restrictions.

Edit: How about we move this discussion to PM?

Ok

EDIT For posterity, the end of the story: the crash was either due to some corrupted files or to the Translation Manager not liking to exist in RPGMaker's folder.
If you're using RPG Maker just to get the Debug mode, then please use @Aironfaar's " Show Debug Menu " Option mod instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, Waynolt said:

v1.06
> Resizing the translation manager will move/resize its fields, grids, and buttons.

That's awesome!

Well... If it wasn't for the fact that it only resizes the grids for me...

And something minor: If you cancel merging a translation at the point where you select a file, the program will tell you that the "task failed succesfully", which is kinda contradictory.

But that's really minor.

There's probably something else I wanted to say that I've forgotten about...

1 hour ago, TheTGU said:

And something minor: If you cancel merging a translation at the point where you select a file, the program will tell you that the "task failed succesfully", which is kinda contradictory.

"task failed succesfully" is a meme, a joke 😛

1 hour ago, TheTGU said:

That's awesome!

Well... If it wasn't for the fact that it only resizes the grids for me...

It moves everything except the grids, and resizes the grids.
Made it this way because it made more sense on my screen (the editable fields look large enough, while it might be useful to be able to see more of the grids)... if you prefer otherwise, I can change it.

30 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

For me, it will just hide everything that no longer fits into the window, so resizing is basically useless.

I don't know how it works for you though.

What do you mean?
When you reduce the window, it should display two scrollbars to let you see everything; else, it resizes the grids.
Do the scrollbars not show up on your PC?

7 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

They do, I might've misunderstood what you were going for.

Just thought that maybe someone could still have one of those old 4:3 screens, and they might have trouble seeing the whole window.
Thus, the scrollbars.
Then wondered about the opposite problem; thus, the grids resize to follow the window.

(Now that I think of it, this was also compiled for 64bit systems... maybe I should recompile it as a 32bit application).

• 3 years later...

I know I am a little bit late, but I get this error here:

image.png.b7c15dcecd2bad2f822ecf5028147c62.png

Also already tried to remove the translation manager exe from the game folder - and now also tried to remove the german translation file but I think the problem is something with compiling.

Edited by TheTob1

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, TheTob1 said:

I know I am a little bit late, but I get this error here:

image.png.b7c15dcecd2bad2f822ecf5028147c62.png

Also already tried to remove the translation manager exe from the game folder - and now also tried to remove the german translation file but I think the problem is something with compiling.

It's probably not working due to it being outdated. Try reinstalling your game. 

7 hours ago, Dred said:

It's probably not working due to it being outdated. Try reinstalling your game. 

Thanks a lot, this worked great!

EDIT: As long as I do not edit further lines, this works, but after editing and saving, there is the same problem again. Maybe something with the compiling does not work in E19?

EDIT2: Took a look at the code, it says something about "ExistingSave", but I do not have a save yet. Will try to create a save in english without any language mods (unfortunately a bit tricky, why would you start a game in english only to get a save file you can "use" in the LoadLanguage thing? xD).

image.png.ccd2aa7f4fe56483e0d212d6d9b79a91.png

EDIT3: Okay, does not work either.. :(

Edited by TheTob1

Maybe it is because the TranslationManager is no longer up to date to E19? Could only download the 1.14 up there from the direct download link.

Also tried to remove single files from the created translation files, does not work :(

In my opinion there is something wrong with the coding.

Edited by TheTob1

I've been looking at this too because I want to make a sort of proofreading/editing mod. I will note that Translator++ , which has a good free version, sort of works and has a very usable interface. It appropriately handles the vast majority of Map[number].rxdata files. Unfortunately, it cannot load Fieldnotes.rxdata or PkmnAnimations.rxdata (unclear why), and although it seems to handle Map051.rxdata (the character-creation scene) correctly, using the translated Map051.rxdata file breaks the character creation process. It is also possible that there are other issues that I simply haven't noticed yet.

Unfortunately, Translator++ does not create a translation option in the same way that TranslationManager does. So even if the issues with Translator++ can be resolved, it still may be a suboptimal solution.

6 hours ago, TheTob1 said:

Maybe it is because the TranslationManager is no longer up to date to E19? Could only download the 1.14 up there from the direct download link.

Also tried to remove single files from the created translation files, does not work :(

In my opinion there is something wrong with the coding.

The problem is not TranslationManager; it's something to do with E19 itself. I created two unedited "translation" files by simply using the "export" and "compile" debug commands, put them in the Data folder, and edited Settings.rb appropriately. I still got an error on opening the game:

image.png.36f88fb354d9a2f8d2f5b116dccccc12.png

I've identified the problem: Beginning at Line 38 of PokemonSystem.rb there is a condition that apparently is meant to check whether a language has already been selected and, if not, give you the language-selection dialog.

if !havedata
  $idk[:settings].language=pbChooseLanguage
end

However, "havedata" is undefined in the current version of PokemonSystem.rb, which yields an error. (I guess undefined isn't falsy in ruby? That's dumb.) Changing line 38 to "if true" fixes the error. Once that line is changed, the TranslationManager works normally. This also allows the built-in language selection dialog to work, albeit without the functionality that the havedata check was meant to implement.

cc @Amethyst @andracass

• Like 1

@Finley Thanks a lot, I will try this right now! <3

image.png.28e18547b49ca5928665563b3172d258.png

Is it correct like that?
Do i have to do the part with the debug command as well? Unfortunately i am not very practiced with such codes, only have my translation as the created textfile right now.

EDIT: Okay that does not work sadly, also get the same error, also tried to reinstall it from scratch

image.png.88061d9150a8e0bd676d20bf8b487175.png

Edited by TheTob1

Yes, you have the PokemonSystem.rb code correct.

I would suggest that you first try to load the edited .dat file using the built-in method (remove the TranslationManager scripts, put the .dat files in your Data folder, and edit the Settings.rb file to point to your custom language .dat files) and see if that works. 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:25 AM, Finley said:

Yes, you have the PokemonSystem.rb code correct.

I would suggest that you first try to load the edited .dat file using the built-in method (remove the TranslationManager scripts, put the .dat files in your Data folder, and edit the Settings.rb file to point to your custom language .dat files) and see if that works. 

Okay thank you, but my translation file in the Data folder is only 0KB, because (I think) it does not get compiled correct, is there a way to compile it manually? The only file with about 3MB is the german.dat.txt file in the Translation folder. 

Tried to only put one file after file in the folder and I can put everything in and start the game, except for the "Languages_ScriptsFix.rb". But without this script, nothing happens (also no translation). I also already edited the  Settings.rb:

image.png.899dc7cee07defee246e05d8e99fa581.png

With this code setting (of course without the ScriptsFix.rb), I can choose between those two on startup before I get to the main menu, but the language will not be compiled by the game/the scripts.

I also got into the debug menu and found the point "Compile Text", but there is also an error when I choose this (without the ScriptsFix.rb):

image.png.56e436792edea7363665ec6117785884.png

Edited by TheTob1
Added informations after testing