Team for online battles

Lorisaur

Hi everyone, I've made a team for pvp battles here in Reborn some time ago and I really like it! I have to say that it works very well online, but maybe it needs some adjustments and here I am. Reborn metagame is very, very different from smogon's and I like it much more. Here's the team, hoping you can give me some advice to improve it!

Silvally @ Darkinium Z  
Ability: RKS System  
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 76 SpA / 48 SpD / 100 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Heat Wave  
- Toxic  
- Defog  
- Parting Shot  

Silvally is pretty nice in this metagame, but even if he weren't I would have played him as he is my favourite pokemon. Here in Reborn he is a quite solid pick as one of the very few pivots available, with u-turn and volt switch not in the game. Starting with him helps me with so many strong leads of the meta, such as Naganadel, Weavile, Mimikyu, Tyranitar, the list goes on. Heat Wave and Defog serve to control terrains and hazards while Heat Wave also covers me aganist Metagross and Weavile, who can otherwise get easily into a Silvally and force me to switch. Toxic is nice to cripple walls, but Parting Shot is the reason why Silvally is good in this game. I usually scout opponent's team members with it while keeping me extremely safe and I use the Z move mainly to help a weakened Metagross or Charizard. Overall, he'll never deal damage but he will always be useful

Metagross @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Meteor Mash  
- Zen Headbutt  
- Bullet Punch  
- Bulldoze  

Metagross is here for one main reason and its name is Naganadel. Metagross can safely switch into a Nasty Plot and tank a +2 flamethrower to kill in return with zen headbutt. AV Tyranitar does the same, as he resists a+2 Z-Draco Meteor in sand, but he seemed me a less useful overall pokemon. 8 evs in speed are just to outrun other metagrosses and tyranitar who run 4speed. Let me know if you prefer Tyranitar or Metagross.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD  
Impish Nature  
- Bulldoze  
- Knock Off  
- Roost  
- Protect  

Here we come to the first member of the stall trio: Gliscor. With his monstruously high defenses, amazing typing and ability he will tank so many hits. Thanks to the absence of tm ice beam, he only has to be ware of random ice punches, which I try to scout with Protect, and good scald users as Starmie and Greninja. And yes ice types. Gliscor usually gets safely into anything threatens the next pokemon and while he does not carry Toxic by himself he has knock off and bulldoze to cripple a pokemon who switches in. To be honest, I would even try to not run Bulldoze, but I need it for Electivire, Magnezone, Mawile and others. It deals little to no damage, but having the best toxic spikes user in the meta and a solid toxic lead my opponent will often be poisoned, meaning I can just stall him out

Toxapex @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Recover  
- Infestation  
- Haze  

Arguably one of the best pokemon in the entire tier. Thanks to the absence of tm26, Landorus, Tapu Koko, Volt switch, MAlakazam, Tapu Lele, Zapdos and half of his natural counters, Toxapex is even more effective than in regular OU. He switches safely into anyone, he sets up spikes, tanks hits and goes away, What would you ask more from a Pokemon? I use infestation over Scald to trap to death a poisoned opponent who doesn't expect it or just to deal good damage, with Tangrowth, Gyarados, Greninja and Mimikyu being some of his favourite targets. Another nice thing of infestation is the huge amount of PP, meaning it can stall indefinitely MSableye and Magic Guard cosmic power Clefable, who would instead stall out most of my team. All of the attackers he can't handle are stopped well by another team member, usually Gliscor or Ferrothorn, with the exeptions of extrasenssory+hp fire Greninja/Slowbro and expert belt mixed Electivire with ice punch and flamethrower. They might be rare, but in those cases my only play is to send out Silvally and parting shot my mega in play. However, Toxapex is so bulky that he can often handle extrasensory greninja by himself. And regenerator is broken. The evs are on the phisical side to resist better Garchomp's bulldoze, which is not eq but deals decent damage as the same

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers  
Ability: Iron Barbs  
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD  
Relaxed Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Power Whip  
- Gyro Ball  
- Leech Seed  
- Stealth Rock  

Ferrothorn is the stall member who requires more care as it lacks an instant recovery but relies on leftovers and leech seed. Most of its work however is to get in, set up seeds or rocks, force a fire or fighting type to come in, switch back to Toxapex. Seriously, when I need a steel attacker I send out Metagross. However Ferrothorn is an AMAZING pokemon and a very solid answer to most water types and ground types, especially Mamoswine who strikes terror in my team. Gyro Ball and Power Whip can hit hard some targets, but overall, Ferrothorn is just the classic OU staple we always know

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X  
Ability: Tough Claws  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Dragon Claw  
- Dragon Dance  
- Roost

The only all-out offensive member of the team as well as the best Mega in the tier alongside Mawile. He likes to get into weakened teams for the final sweep and here Silvally is just essential. Keeping Silvally alive is crucial in order to give Charizard two chances of sweeping as a parting shot - weakened opponent will usually let Charizard ddance safely, meaning he can now pierce through many of his best checks as MAerodactyl, Greninja, Mamoswine, Blaziken, Naganadel, Garchomp and many, many others. He is probably the best sweeper in the game, but his defenses are not the greatest and he has to be ware of life orb water shurikens Greninja and most MKangaskhans even after a ddance, not mentioning his worst nemesis being hyronically Pyukumuku

I think that this team works quite well and are not many the pokemon who give me trouble, what do you think about it? Also, if you want to battle pm me and I'll probably be there

Edited by Lorisaur
  • Like 1

Seems nice of course! I mean, awful to play against because stall is just a pain to deal with.

I remember our match few months ago on the Murkwater field. Toxapex was unkillable ^^

I should prepare a little before challenging you but this is pumping me up!

One thing you didn't explain was Protect on Zard X. I would put Roost instinctively but you should have a good reason.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Teto said:

Seems nice of course! I mean, awful to play against because stall is just a pain to deal with.

I remember our match few months ago on the Murkwater field. Toxapex was unkillable ^^

I should prepare a little before challenging you but this is pumping me up!

One thing you didn't explain was Protect on Zard X. I would put Roost instinctively but you should have a good reason.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU ARE RIGHT I really don't know why have I written protect, I've always played roost and I have to edit the post now. Ready to battle when you like btw!

2 hours ago, Destrakon said:

I personally agree with this team. Still I don't know how to improve it. It is a headache to me lol.

Thanks, I'm always happy to give nice people headaches

I just don't know if is better Tyranitar or Metagross right now...

Just now, Lorisaur said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU ARE RIGHT I really don't know why have I written protect, I've always played roost and I have to edit the post now. Ready to battle when you like btw!

Thanks, I'm always happy to give nice people headaches

I just don't know if is better Tyranitar or Metagross right now...

I can say Tyranitar, Assault Vest + Sandstorm. both increase Sp.Def. The only thing able to OHKO it, in terms of Sp.Atk. would be a Focus Blast from a Mega Alakazam, though this is not always the outcome (I've already tested). Serperior would take 3 Leaf Storms out of 5 to take it down.

13 hours ago, Lorisaur said:

I was thinking that Protect was here for poison stall shenanigans but I was like "nah, he can't be THAT evil".

23 hours ago, Teto said:

I was thinking that Protect was here for poison stall shenanigans but I was like "nah, he can't be THAT evil".

Well... I probably AM that evil, but roost is definitely better. However, Tyranitar seems nice and I'll try him next time we play

• 4 weeks later...

Other than Mega Camerupt breaking your defensive core I don't see much weaknesses. The only problem that can occur is a field that can benefit an opposing wallbreaker, since even walls can't take well enough field boosted resisted hits. For example a Hydreigon in New World field or a faster than Zard dragon in Dragon's Den can blow through your team. Also I would run Pursuit on Gross over the very weak Bulldoze for opposing psychic types that can threaten Toxapex and/or for physically frail mons that try to switch out.

• 2 weeks later...

MEGA CAMERUPT! I didn't think about him at all... he is so rare, but I have to be ready as the same. Right now, my best strat is to toxic him and stall out... should I run surf Silvally just for him and some Blaziken leads? It seems a bit too situational... I might as well give Gliscor toxic, but I really don't know what could I give up. Knock off? It's even more useful than bulldoze, which I must have for Jolteon and Electivire. I might use AV Tyranitar to check him... that's the best idea, probably. It's just all about keeping Silvally safe until Camerupt comes in. Hoping there's no trick room. Pursuit is a very good idea by the way

Speaking of terrains... if the opponent has an Hydreigon in new world, I virtually shake his hand and demand for a rematch. Same goes for Naganadel in dragon's den. Seriously, after a nasty plot in the den Naganadel ohkos even a calm assault vest heatran 252hp 252sdef, not kidding

However, more than 50% of the fields favours me, while bulldoze defog and heat wave help me with some of the others. Right now, my worst fields are psychic terrain, glitch field, water surface, flower garden and new world, but I can handle them