Pokemon Game Names

J-Awesome_One

Before I say anything, I'm not too sure if this is the right place to put this topic of sorts but if it's not, please put it in the right place.

So I woke up and I knew about the Pokemon Direct was gonna reveal something today. I watched it and boom! Gen 8! Really quick, just wanna say that I loved EVERYTHING I saw in the new games. So I decided to go watch some reactions to it. I always do that when a new game is coming out. I just love seeing everyone getting excited seeing new things. But what really got my attention was that a lot of people seemed to have been alright with the Pokemon name of the game or they hated it. I mean it kind of sucks that some hated it but what can you do. People's opinions and they're allowed to have it. And some of them I heard were saying they missed the color names of the games and they wished they brought them back. So it got me thinking of the past games with the colors in them.

Red, Blue, Yellow, Green (I think this was only in Japan) Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, Black, White and then some of their remakes.

But then I thought of something. Not ALL of these are just colors. Think about it. 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen. While, yes, they are technically colors, they are also objects. This might sound like a weak opinion but I don't think those 3 gens are actually colors. I mean ok sure. The legends of the box art have on the games do represent the color of the game name in some way. But if you think about it, when we say most of those words, we usually don't mean it in just explaining a color. I mean let's be honest. Idk about all of you but I've never said I wanted a ruby colored object or a Platinum colored object. I would either say dark or light red or gray or black or whatever. I think you can all get what I'm saying here. So what if the Pokemon Company didn't really give us colors for those 3 gens but objects? It kind of makes sense to me they would do that. I mean if you take the color theme for the Gen 6 box art, the X is blue and the Y is red. Well if they wanted to continue with the colors, couldn't they have just called it say, Pokemon Azure and Pokemon Maroon? But they didn't. I think that throughout all the years, they were giving us names of objects. Not colors. I mean why else would they just immediately stop doing colors and start doing letters and the sun and moon? It make sense for them to be not calling their games by "colors" anymore if what I said is the case.

If the creators of the game already said they were colors, then I guess this whole thing was for nothing. Haha. Ohh well. 😅

Now this might seem like a stupid topic and I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. But it caught my attention and I just felt like talking about it. What do you all think about it? I'd actually love to know your thoughts on this!

It's true that the naming convention of Pokemon games isn't limited solely to color, and the names have expanded to objects throughout the years and Generations. However, the naming convention did have the consistency of the objects that the Pokemon games are named after, evoke the feeling or image of a color. I suppose my gripe with the names of the new core games is that they don't evoke any feeling or image of a color; they're literally just objects, which breaks this consistency.

You could say this consistency was broken with Pokemon X and Y, but they evoked some form of color in the form of life and destruction. Pokemon Sun and Moon evoke colors relating to their respective celestial bodies. The names of the new core games don't follow suit.

I don't dislike the names Pokemon Sword and Shield; I will probably accept the names in the future. Regardless, these new names don't evoke any form of color or emotion, which is why I find them weird and out of place.

Edited by JoStarNight
  • Like 1