Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

31 minutes ago, Eagleby18 said:

one of them is that the entire region is just a straight line from south to north.

🤔 I thought Unova was rather rectangular and wider than longer? iirc we went like a circle.

But yah Galar does look like it'll be rather linear moving from one point to another point far away.

And I agree about the Dynamax, tbh that wouldn't be the reason I'd play this. I wish they'd bring megas back, and I thought this was an excellent chance given the strong ties Galar has to Kalos.

@Eagleby18 To me, I find it that Dynamax is in a way combining Z-Moves & Mega Evolution. You still got the overpowered moves with the Z-Moves gimmick but they last longer and are different... sizes but that's neither here or there. Not saying it's a good thing but thought I would point that out.

3 hours ago, Candy said:

I wish they'd bring megas back, and I thought this was an excellent chance given the strong ties Galar has to Kalos.

Well, the only ties between Galar and Kalos are on a meta level because they are based on England and France, there's no hint at the moment that Galar and Kalos are neighbouring regions as their real counterpart.

9 minutes ago, Siragon said:

Well, the only ties between Galar and Kalos are on a meta level because they are based on England and France, there's no hint at the moment that Galar and Kalos are neighbouring regions as their real counterpart.

well I felt like they should be related because gen 6 introduced aegislash which is literally a sword and a shield 😂 but also yah given they're based on european countries, their vibes are kinda similar. In any case, I had my hopes up for megas, but I'm thinking they won't be going that route after all hehe

3 minutes ago, Candy said:

well I felt like they should be related because gen 6 introduced aegislash which is literally a sword and a shield 😂 but also yah given they're based on european countries, their vibes are kinda similar. In any case, I had my hopes up for megas, but I'm thinking they won't be going that route after all hehe

Don't forget that neither Solrock nor Lunatone were even mentioned in Sun and Moon, despite being literally sentient floating sun and moon-shaped rocks. I'm honestly not expecting anything from aegislash for gen 8. And i too feel they could have a tie somewhere down their history, we just don't have any confirmation yet 

7 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

To me, I find it that Dynamax is in a way combining Z-Moves & Mega Evolution. You still got the overpowered moves with the Z-Moves gimmick but they last longer and are different... sizes but that's neither here or there. Not saying it's a good thing but thought I would point that out.

On the official website, we can see that Grookey went from 41 to 61 HP by dynamaxing. So, it will increase HP too.

I don't know why but I feel like it could take a whole turn to Dynamax. At least, it will less overpowered than boosting your stats AND using a 'discount' Z-move. But I may be wrong because Grookey lost 1 PP between the two pictures.

Looking at the website, it confirms something that the Direct only implied:  That Dynamaxing is only allowed in specific battles in the game.  The screenshots show it being used in a WiFi battle, so it is allowed in multiplayer in at least some form.  The question is, will it actually just be allowed in WiFi battles, or will there be a "Dynamax battle" mode or something like that?  Metagame-wise, it makes all the difference between "lol no one will care about this" to "lol Z-moves are obsolete because of this"

This also means that when you mod Reborn for gen 8, you'd have to add a "can you Dynamax" flag for every single area in the game.  Unless you just don't add Dynamaxing of course.  I don't want to make any assumptions before the game comes out but it seems like 3 turns of higher stats and ultimate moves would be too good for Reborn.

Looked over the new Pokemon, and I'm sorry but these two legendaries awful. They look freaking hideous, and frankly stupid. Both of them. One is basically just Sif, but without the pathos that made you ignore the fact that a dog holding a sword in its mouth is ridiculous. And the other one is, if anything even WORSE. It looks like a literal toy. Not a toy that looks like a dog of some kind mind you, but rather one of those megazord type things that has folded up to be the chestpiece. These might just be the worse legendaries Gamefreak has ever created, and considering they made Hoopa that's saying something. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Eagleby18 said:

This also means that when you mod Reborn for gen 8, you'd have to add a "can you Dynamax" flag for every single area in the game.  Unless you just don't add Dynamaxing of course.  I don't want to make any assumptions before the game comes out but it seems like 3 turns of higher stats and ultimate moves would be too good for Reborn.

Didn't Ame said that they would'nt include post gen 7 content ?

If I'm being honest, the trailer went...above expectation.

"Go big or go home" is what I said to myself after finding Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu to be underwhelming. Seeing the new Pokemon, I am pleased to see that Game Freak have not lost their touch; the new Pokemon and their designs are quite appealing and neat (especially Corvinight). The only Pokemon whom I found uninspiring are the new legendary Pokemon, Zecian and Zamazenta; their aesthetics are fine, although I wish they weren't quadruped Pokemon since that holds them back from being appealing.

As for the new mechanic of Dynamaxing...I found it funny that Game Freak delivered my thoughts quite literally. I suppose the appeal of this generation's new gimmick is to be awestruck by the Pokemon becoming huge all of a sudden. At the same time, it doesn't appear it will have the interesting lore of Mega Evolutions.

Its good to see that the open-world Wild Areas, with Pokemon appearing in the overworld (the one thing I enjoyed about the Let's Go game) are returning, and as always, the visuals look great,

It's strange that the new Pokemon were the ones I found to be interesting rather than the new mechanics this time around (and that is saying quite a lot, as someone who is quite interested in the lore and history of the Pokemon world). Wasn't a bad trailer at all, although Dynamaxing will have to earn its knighthood with its lore, if it wants me to be invested in it.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the Galar Pokedex.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, wcv said:

Looked over the new Pokemon, and I'm sorry but these two legendaries awful. They look freaking hideous, and frankly stupid. Both of them. One is basically just Sif, but without the pathos that made you ignore the fact that a dog holding a sword in its mouth is ridiculous. And the other one is, if anything even WORSE. It looks like a literal toy. Not a toy that looks like a dog of some kind mind you, but rather one of those megazord type things that has folded up to be the chestpiece. These might just be the worse legendaries Gamefreak has ever created, and considering they made Hoopa that's saying something. 

Beat me on that one, just wanted to say the same. Also on the same note I'm pretty sure there will be an overabundance of Pokémon Sword editions, since the freakin Pokémon Shield legendary will make this edition a shelf warmer in the stores.

Was skimming what happened in the Treehouse thing at E3, there's a couple new Pokemon but then suddenly

image.png.28ed10b0c0d03f861ce8f813ed510923.png

Excuse me, WHAT?  Is this just referring to raid battles?  Please tell me Dynamax Pokemon sometimes attacking twice is limited to raid battles...

image.png.70f6cf194d7ffc69ef2b1213f32a7a72.png

EXCUSE ME, WHAT?

Spoiler

4gsn622jhr331.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=90c2f3dac5a9ca14e2eee5acda419d3f88bca975

• Like 2

So just got back and watched the stuff from E3 about Pokemon Sword and Shield (only reason why I watch it tbh) and I thought everything was alright. And then the 2 new Pokemon came up. Yamper and Impdimp. Let's start off with Yamper… WHAT A CUTE WITTLE DOGGY! Now while I'm most likely not going to use this Pokemon on my team, it looks SO ADORABLE! AND IT'S ABILITY IS ALSO ADORABLE! It's not really helpful for the game but I can't be mad at it! And then there's Impidimp and this... thing just looks so weird and odd. AND I LOVE IT! I think that dude is gonna be going on my team. Ohh yea. AND IT'S DARK/FAIRY TYPE ALSO! So we can officially cross that dual typing off the list now. It looks so weird and the name is weird too. I just love it. Sword and Shield are going to be AWESOME this year!

So my overall thoughts on the bomb that Masuda dropped during treehouse: I don’t like the principle behind it. The idea that some Pokémon just won’t be in the game screams laziness to me, mostly because they have most of the assets needed already (minus the new mons of course). They just need touching up. They’re saying they can’t update 800 Pokémon models, yet they could create 721 completely new ones for XY? Because of this, the game just kind of feels incomplete.

At the end of the day though, I guess it’s not something that really affects me since first play through I only use new Pokémon anyways and my living dex stays in bank anyways. Now I guess I’ll be keeping my shinies in Home instead of the new game.

As for the new Pokémon, I like both of them. Yamper’s stats are apparently low enough to warrant an evolution. I can see it becoming either Electric/Fairy or staying pure Electric. Impidimp gives us a new typing that’s really good. Dynamax battles look really interesting to me as well

• Like 2

Here's the quote from Masuda on the subject.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4c9b80446bcc2fd25267fb2b66c0c8e9.png

Translating PR drivel to English, he's saying that his poor little indie company (that's sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell) didn't have the time or the manpower to actually code all 900-ish Pokemon into the game before the deadline.  It's not like this is one of the most successful media franchises ever or anything. 

First of all, I don't believe this for a second.  They're recycling the 3DS engine, which already has the models and code for all the Pokemon.  I am 95% sure that when the game comes out, hackers will discover that all 900-ish are in fact, coded into the game with models and animations and everything, and it'll turn out Gamefreak was just gonna sell it all back to us as paid DLC, or an "incentive" to buy Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield.

And if this actually IS true, well, it's just pathetic.  What was that famous quote from Miyamoto again?  That a delayed game is eventually good but a rushed one is bad forever?

• Like 4

NOt really it's about being able to bring your old pokemon forward for me, Imagine not being able to have/bring your favourite pokemon Arbok to the game or anther pokemon you like that isn't avalable in the Galar region you wouldn't be able to have it or use it

I enjoy the prosess of collecting them all, they have made it impossible to do so for every single one of them which is what sadens me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Starry Knight said:

NOt really it's about being able to bring your old pokemon forward for me, Imagine not being able to have/bring your favourite pokemon Arbok to the game or anther pokemon you like that isn't avalable in the Galar region you wouldn't be able to have it or use it

I enjoy the prosess of collecting them all, they have made it impossible to do so for every single one of them which is what sadens me.

I mean that's true... but also Ekans was available in S/M/US/UM aaannnd I totally forgot to use it. Lol.

53 minutes ago, Starry Knight said:

But you get my main point correct?

Yes I do. And it does suck that a lot of people's favorite Pokemon won't be in the game. I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about it. I just hope there aren't a lot of over dramatic upset people out there. Like I've seen some people comment on YouTube videos saying "This game is TRASH now that we can't get have all the Pokemon in the game! GameFreak is trash and should shut down now! They suck for not doing this!" Like whoa. I get that you're angry but getting THAT angry over this is kind of... stupid. Hopefully I'm not like stepping on anyone's toes saying this. 😅

5 minutes ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

Yes I do. And it does suck that a lot of people's favorite Pokemon won't be in the game. I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about it. I just hope there aren't a lot of over dramatic upset people out there. Like I've seen some people comment on YouTube videos saying "This game is TRASH now that we can't get have all the Pokemon in the game! GameFreak is trash and should shut down now! They suck for not doing this!" Like whoa. I get that you're angry but getting THAT angry over this is kind of... stupid. Hopefully I'm not like stepping on anyone's toes saying this. 😅

Understandable, myself I am just dissappointed, I wouldn't mind if they took the extra year or so even to incorporate all the older pokémon, it's one of my favorite things, that you could do a new game with your favorite old team or choose to use new Pokemon or do a mixed style

Or work on a patch to allow the older pokémon that aren't programmed in yet to be in game or be allowed to be in game

• Like 1

Masuda did another statement on the subject after the big backlash, I won't bother posting it because it basically says the same thing with even more PR bullshit language than the last time.  What's notable is that he doubled down on the "we didn't have enough time to make the high quality models and animations for every Pokemon" thing despite the fact that it's a blatant lie, that the models are clearly copy-pasted from the last five games.

This guy thinks you're stupid, and will buy the game anyway no matter what kinda crap he pulls.  You gonna prove him right?

• Like 1

tbh sooner or later this was bound to happen. if 50% of the game's memory or whatever is just movements of 800+ pokemon, it's like odd me thinks. I mean I'm indifferent because even from the first gen when there were only 151 pokemon, I was like hecc I can barely catch 30, ain't no 5 year-old catching 151 of them? xD if they lose buyers over this, tbh I don't see a creative way out of it. maybe make new stories that happen in the already existing regions? I don't see that bringing as much hype since a lot of it is discovering new pokemon.