Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

Just watched the direct (considering I just woke up a little bit ago) and I got a little more than what I was hoping for.

The new Pokemon - They look pretty cool. Idk if I'd have any of them on my team on the 1st play though. MAYBE that rock biting turtle. That caught my interest the most out of all of them.

Legendary Pokemon - VERY nice. I like both but the Shield 1 looks better in my opinion. But Idt I'm going to use either on my team. Although, Gamefreak is getting better with legendaries. I'm finally actually starting to like them. (Nothing beats Lunala yet though.)

This games gimmick: Dynamax - Umm... I'm not sure how I feel about this. It basically feels as if they combined Mega Evolution and the Z-Moves and came out with that. I mean it's kind funny to see the Pokeball transform into this ridiculous huge ball that the trainer then has to throw with 2 hands as if they were going to score the winning basket. When Mega Evolution came out though, I thought it was stupid but when I gave it a shot, I turned out loving it so maybe it'll grow on me. But for right now, it's up in the air.

The Characters - Nicely designed. Really loving how all the people we saw looked. Btw, is it just me or are they really trying to push the "Pokemon Professor has to have an assistant" kind of thing now? I mean I know they just started with the last games but still. Although... Hop? Really? How can any of us take our RIVAL seriously with a name like that? Ohh well. Still looks nice though.

Overall, LOVED the direct! Definitely got more than I was hoping for. Definitely a solid 8/10 for me only because of the Dynamax thing... and Hop. SERIOUSLY THOUGH?! HOP?!

3 minutes ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

is it just me or are they really trying to push the "Pokemon Professor has to have an assistant" kind of thing now? I mean I know they just started with the last games but still.

I mean they had Brendan and May in gen 3, Dawn/Lucas in gen 4, Bianca in gen 5 and Dexio and Sina in gen 6 so it's nothing new. Lillie wasn't the first prof assistant.

2 minutes ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

I mean they had Brendan and May in gen 3, Dawn/Lucas in gen 4, Bianca in gen 5 and Dexio and Sina in gen 6 so it's nothing new. Lillie wasn't the first prof assistant.

I mean true but:

May/Brendan: They were an assistant for like a minute in the story and then your rival for the rest of the game.

Dawn/Lucas: Again, assistant but they didn't do all that much. They showed up maybe 3 to 4 times in the story? I don't even think they did anything on screen. (I honestly can't remember)

Bianca: She didn't really become an assistant til Black and White 2 so... Tbh, I haven't ever finished that game so I guess I can't say anything about that.

Dexio & Sina: Wanna be super heroes... Literally. Most of the time they see you, they're in that get up and when they're not, it's just to update your Pokedex.

But while you are right on Lillie not being the 1st, I meant that they're pushing the assistant to be in the story somehow. I think Sonia will somehow be involved in the story somehow.

Ooo! So I just found something online that I think a lot of you would like to see! More info about the starters, more info on the new Pokemon and more info on the new people can be found right here! Also, a new ability is shown here as well!

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/

SPOILER!

Spoiler

Apparently Rotom Pokedex is back but in Phone Form!

2 hours ago, doombotmecha said:

according to this leak the bun stays pure fire, despite learning kicks

Also my favorite new pokemon is Corviknight. Combined with Scorbunny and I've got 2/6 of my team down. Also I'm playing Sword definitely because Great Wolf Sif is wayyyyyyy cooler than Shield Doggo.

That leak is pretty sketchy though. It already has a fault with it saying that the Galar region will have the first Fairy type gym. Maybe the leaker just over looked that the first Fairy gym is in Kalos though?

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

That leak is pretty sketchy though. It already has a fault with it saying that the Galar region will have the first Fairy type gym. Maybe the leaker just over looked that the first Fairy gym is in Kalos though?

to be fair Valerie is easily forgettable 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Forgetting one gym vs getting right the name of the rival, the looks of the legendaries, the new gimmick of battles WITH ITS NAME, the names of Leon and Sonia (as well as the fact that she's the granddaughter of the professor who's a female), the name of the first gym leader, the Wild Areas and the Max Raid (or whatever their name is, you get what i'm talking about).

Yeah, probably a coincidence

I just read through an article which says Galar region will have its own galar forms of our past gen mons, it goes something like this. Is this legit?

• Noctowl: Ice/Flying (Becomes black, with bits of dark blue.)
  • Sentret: Normal/Ground (Now has steel-claws)
  • Furret: Normal/Ground (Has a drill on its tail)
  • Spinarak: Bug/Ghost (is now black, but the smiley on it's black is a bright pink)
  • Ariados: Bug/Ghost (Same as Spinerak. Now has a spooky angry-face on it's back.)
  • Jumpluff: Grass/Fairy (Body becomes white, pom-pom-things turn pink)
  • Sudowoodo: Steel (Now disguised as a pinetree)
  • Houndour: Dark/Ice ("skull" on its head is now made out of ice)
  • Houndoom: Dark/Ice (Horns and bone-parts are now Icicles)
  • Magcargo: Fire/Water (Has now a seashell as it's house)
  • Ralts: Dark/Fairy (Green "Helmet" turns dark blue and the dress-part becomes purple)
  • Kirlia: Dark/Fairy (Same as Ralts, but it's legs stay white)
  • Gardevoir: Dark/Fairy (The same as previous, looks a bit like it's Mega)
  • Zangoose: Fighting/Dark (White fur becomes black, has sharper claws)
  • Seviper: Poison/Steel (Has a giant iron spike-ball instead of it's Knife-tail)
  • Spoink: Poison (Tail is made of purple sludge and it's crystal is dark purple)
  • Grumpig: Poison/Ghost (same with spoink, but it's pink parts become dark green)
the gardevoir being a dark fairy part caught me buy surprise, very very very interesting typing xD if it is true 

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/people-galar-region/professor-assistant-sonia/

another point for the leak it got right the relationship between Sonia and the champion 

im hyped

the galar thing is probably fake honestly no other info but that and it conflicts with the new forms that are in this new leak honestly it seem like a thing that will be exclusive to alola I think the new evolutions are more likely

So I've been watching endless trailer reactions (because I just can't help myself) and 1 of them pointed out something and it got me thinking. Now we haven't seen text boxes and maybe they just haven't implemented those in yet. But has anyone noticed that the important looking character have their mouths move as if they're talking? Do you think we'll have voice acting in these games? I mean it's very possible.

Is it me, or does Eldegoss look like some roselia-like Galar variant. I honestly thought that it would be a Galarian Roselia instead of a new pokemon when I first saw it.

• Upvote 1

The only leak that is credible right now is the one from a few weeks ago that stated what was going to happen in this direct. Also worth noting is that the initial rumor claiming armor evolution would happen is probably wrong because it mentioned the legend Aries would be a horse and a snake.

As for the direct itself, I was absolutely blown away. I like all the new Pokémon, Corviknight probably being my favorite. The Flying/Steel typing makes me think it’ll be a more offensive Skarmory.  Drednaw being Water/Rock is interesting, but it has the ability strong jaw, which currently does not boost any moves that it would get STAB bonus on. I feel like Eldegloss and Glossefleur should have been Grass/Fairy instead of pure grass. Wooloo being pure Normal fits I guess.

I like both the legendaries as well. I honestly don’t know which version I want to get lol

I’ve seen some people upset over Dynamax but I think it has potential to be a good game changer. Since it only lasts for three turns, it seems more balanced than mega evolutions. Though, I do wish the pokemon’s designs slightly changed in addition to them going giant, but I guess that would realistically take a really long time to do for 850+ pokemon 

Characters are cool. Hop appears to pick the starter weak to you, which I’m not really a fan of. Masuda did say he was only one of our starters though, so I’m hoping another gets the stronger one.

The champion, Leon, is interesting. Pokémon usually has the habit of hiding who the champion is until you reach the end of the E4. The only time this doesn’t happen is with Alder, and he ends up losing to N before we can battle him. It’s also stated he’s adored by everyone in Galar. My theory is that he’s going to be the main antagonist of the game.

Also, I’ve seen some people talk about voice acting because of the way characters mouths are loving. If this turns out to be true, I really cannot wait for this game. Voice acting in Pokémon is something I’ve wanted for a really long time now 

8 minutes ago, Lucky98 said:

The champion, Leon, is interesting. Pokémon usually has the habit of hiding who the champion is until you reach the end of the E4. The only time this doesn’t happen is with Alder, and he ends up losing to N before we can battle him. It’s also stated he’s adored by everyone in Galar. My theory is that he’s going to be the main antagonist of the game.

Well, yes and no. There is no game where we don't encounter the Champion before battling the league. We battle against Blue during all the adventure of gen 1 (though he's a special case since he's not the champion at the time), there is the event with Lance and the Lake of Rage in Johto, we come across Steven and Cynthia several times in Hoenn and Sinnoh, you already talked about Alder (though he's also a special case too since he's not the one we battle for the title in the end, but then N is the same case as Blue), Diantha is also encountered at the start of X and Y. As for Sun and Moon, we are the champion so... yeah. But we also encounter the final battle early on, be it Kukui or Hau.

So yeah, the only thing here is that we're told he's the champion, as for Alder. But let's be real, since nobody on the good side ever does shit for the story besides the mc and sometimes the rival, we immediately know that characters like Steven or Lance are important and then it's not hard to understand that they are the champion of the region...

2 hours ago, Siragon said:

Well, yes and no. There is no game where we don't encounter the Champion before battling the league. We battle against Blue during all the adventure of gen 1 (though he's a special case since he's not the champion at the time), there is the event with Lance and the Lake of Rage in Johto, we come across Steven and Cynthia several times in Hoenn and Sinnoh, you already talked about Alder (though he's also a special case too since he's not the one we battle for the title in the end, but then N is the same case as Blue), Diantha is also encountered at the start of X and Y. As for Sun and Moon, we are the champion so... yeah. But we also encounter the final battle early on, be it Kukui or Hau.

So yeah, the only thing here is that we're told he's the champion, as for Alder. But let's be real, since nobody on the good side ever does shit for the story besides the mc and sometimes the rival, we immediately know that characters like Steven or Lance are important and then it's not hard to understand that they are the champion of the region...

I'm not saying we don't encounter them. I'm saying the game never reveals who they are until the end. You can obviously make educated guessed as to who the champion is. There have also been examples of other characters, specifically gym leaders, doing things in the story. This most notable happens in Black and White.

20 hours ago, Siragon said:

Forgetting one gym vs getting right the name of the rival, the looks of the legendaries, the new gimmick of battles WITH ITS NAME, the names of Leon and Sonia (as well as the fact that she's the granddaughter of the professor who's a female), the name of the first gym leader, the Wild Areas and the Max Raid (or whatever their name is, you get what i'm talking about).

Yeah, probably a coincidence

If I recall correctly, I remember the last accurate leak we had with Sun and Moon actually had a few faults, designed to throw us off too. So it makes more sense like that.

10 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

So I've been watching endless trailer reactions (because I just can't help myself) and 1 of them pointed out something and it got me thinking. Now we haven't seen text boxes and maybe they just haven't implemented those in yet. But has anyone noticed that the important looking character have their mouths move as if they're talking? Do you think we'll have voice acting in these games? I mean it's very possible.

Its possible since lots of things don't get rendered for the trailers, most of the trainers have been removed in order to show off the BOTW type landscape but full voice acting is probably a no.

9 hours ago, Siragon said:

Diantha is also encountered at the start of X and Y.

I could've sworn that someone actually mentions her status as Champion, either a random NPC in a cafe in Lumiose City or when she shows up in the town with the fourth gym. Then again, I haven't played XY since ORAS came out, so I might be misremembering

1 minute ago, Urist_Imiknorris said:

I could've sworn that someone actually mentions her status as Champion, either a random NPC in a cafe in Lumiose City or when she shows up in the town with the fourth gym. Then again, I haven't played XY since ORAS came out, so I might be misremembering

I just checked and apparently she hides it from you and she's just introduced as "a famous actress". Yeah, you definitely don't expect her to be the champion, as you totally don't expect Lysander to be the boss of team Flare. Gosh, how does gen 6 manage to be so subtle ?

NORMAL/ICE

NORMAL/FIGHTING

NORMAL/POISON

NORMAL/BUG

NORMAL/ROCK

NORMAL/GHOST

NORMAL/STEEL

FIRE/GRASS

FIRE/ICE

FIRE/FAIRY

ELECTRIC/FIGHTING

ELECTRIC/POISON

ELECTRIC/DARK

POISON/PSYCHIC

POISON/STEEL

POISON/FAIRY

ICE/POISON

ICE/BUG

BUG/DRAGON

BUG/DARK

FIGHTING/GROUND

FIGHTING/FAIRY

GROUND/FAIRY

PSYCHIC/BUG

ROCK/GHOST

DARK/FAIRY

These are the dual typings that are left that aren't in any of the canon Pokemon Games. Which 1 do you all wanna see in this game? For me, I'd have to say Rock/Ghost and Fighting/Ground. Seems like it could fit into this games setting.

5 minutes ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

These are the dual typings that are left that aren't in any of the canon Pokemon Games. Which 1 do you all wanna see in this game? For me, I'd have to say Rock/Ghost and Fighting/Ground. Seems like it could fit into this games setting.

I wanna see Fire/Fairy! A rumor once claimed Scorbunny turns into a Fire/Fairy Pokemon, and I wanna see that 😄 But it's just a rumor, so I'm not really expecting that

Spoiler

Also, an 8th new Pokemon has been found!

image.png.ed506c8c86447e359d838b7cf0e11d7b.png

(Got this from Serebii)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverAngelus said:

Hide contents

Also, an 8th new Pokemon has been found!

image.png.ed506c8c86447e359d838b7cf0e11d7b.png

(Got this from Serebii)

Ohh yea. I saw this. It's probably gonna be the electric rodent of the region.

1 hour ago, Youmu9 said:

image.jpeg.9a1ed499e9595d1ab43873b8ab0fc8af.jpeg

Damn! I forgot about that. Which is sad because I actually really like Stufful/Bewear.

Pre-direct, I wasn't really feeling this gen.  I didn't like any of the starters, but that isn't really a big deal until I see their final forms.  I mean, I didn't like Popplio and yet its final form ended up being my second-favorite Pokemon ever.  Post-direct, I like most of these new guys MUCH more.  Especially Wooloo and Corviknight.  Only one I really don't care for is Eldegoss.  A definite improvement in that area.

Pre-direct, I was kinda miffed at what we could see of the level design.  Among the many reasons Gen 5 is my least favorite, one of them is that the entire region is just a straight line from south to north.  And look at the region map they revealed for this game!  Guess what, it's ANOTHER straight line from south to north!  Post-direct, well, it seems to be more complicated than that.  From what I can tell, it looks like this game composes of several areas of "traditional" Pokemon level design, all connected by a big open-world-ish map which is CLEARLY influenced by Breath of the Wild.  Is this an improvement?  I'm... not sure.  I guess it LOOKS better, but for all we know the Wild Area is just a big hallway from south to north, with roadblocks and pit stops at cities along the way.  It looks like it could be from the footage they showed in the direct.

Pre-direct, I really didn't like that they were STILL using the 3DS engine.  It's honestly inconceivable.  This is the same company that gave us Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, and what does their other biggest franchise get?  A recycled engine from a far inferior console?  It looked good on the 3DS (most of the time) but on the Switch it looks like shit because everyone knows the Switch can do better.  Post-direct, well, that hasn't changed.  It's not gonna change.

Pre-direct, and I know this was really speculation on my part, but I predicted they'd throw their previous mechanics in the bin for some new, probably dumber thing, and we'd still not get any more megas.  Post-direct, hey look I was exactly right!  In fact it's even worse than I predicted because Z-moves are getting shafted even harder than megas were.  Why use a super-duper-ultimate move when you can have 3 whole turns of super-duper-ultimate moves and (probably) higher stats?  I might actually count this as an improvement though, because I never liked Z moves anyway, between them and Dynamax I'd say Dynamax is less dumb.  I still want more megas though, and while it's technically still possible... I really doubt it'll happen.

(Disclaimer:  I still really like Gen 7, it's one of my favorites.  It's just that Z-moves are NOT among the reasons I like it.)

So, did the direct improve my opinion overall?  Marginally, yeah.  But it's still a really, REALLY bad look to be reusing the 3DS engine.  No matter how good the game ends up being, it'd be like if the original Super Mario Bros released on the SNES.