Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

On 10/26/2019 at 5:17 AM, Autumn Zephyr said:

We do have a company, though- the League itself is run by a man who goes by the title of chairman. Angelus hasn't trusted Rose one bit from the moment he was revealed.

Honestly, i'm more wary of his secretary. I don't know, chairman Rose isn't giving me Lysander vibes, unlike Oleana. But it's hard to say with just the two seconds of screentime we have of them in the trailer of them.

6 hours ago, Siragon said:

Honestly, i'm more wary of his secretary. I don't know, chairman Rose isn't giving me Lysander vibes, unlike Oleana. But it's hard to say with just the two seconds of screentime we have of them in the trailer of them.

This. The trailer could suggest anything. 

Pretty sure once we get in-game it's going to be way obvious though. Or maybe not actually.

When I look at the transition from XY to Sun/Moon, I realized that they sort of improved on the surprise element. Most people suspected the Aether foundation of being "evil" before the games were even released, but when you look back at the actually story you realize that it wasn't that obvious. Compare that to how we were introduced to Lysandre who basically screamed out that he was the leader of Team Flare, and you realize GF got a tiiiiiiiiny bit better. Maybe they'll actually surprise us this time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

edit

@Maqqy during Sun and Moon we had a separate thread to discuss leaked and datamined stuff near release so that those who wanted to avoid the leaks and datamines could do so; if you'd like to discuss what you posted then please create a new Sword/Shield leaks & datamines thread ^^

edit

@Autumn Zephyr during Sun and Moon we had a separate thread to discuss leaked and datamined stuff near release so that those who wanted to avoid the leaks and datamines could do so; if you'd like to discuss what you posted then please create a new Sword/Shield leaks & datamines thread ^^

Oof so this is a no leaks zone! Sorry bout that everyone.

Anyway coming back, Toby Fox (Creator of Undertale) made a track for SwSh and it's kinda lit. 🔥 Check it out!

Somebody cop Glitchxcity to make a remix ASAP!!

6 hours ago, Maqqy said:

Oof so this is a no leaks zone! Sorry bout that everyone.

Anyway coming back, Toby Fox (Creator of Undertale) made a track for SwSh and it's kinda lit. 🔥 Check it out!

Somebody cop Glitchxcity to make a remix ASAP!!

Ayyy this is indeed 🔥

Sounds like a final rival battle theme. 

📢 SWSH COMES OUT NEXT WEEK 📢

Image result for mr krabs day 23 meme

We're pretty much on the dawn of the final week guys. Only 9 more days till sword and shield and what a ride has it been.

I just remember when I first saw the trailer at freaking 6 am in February and now we're here. Time has flown so fast..

I also would like to share that I decided on getting the dual pack! Yes we going ✈️ broke lol but no regrets! This is my first time getting both versions so I'm pretty psyched. Although there were disappointments, I still feel that it will be very worth it.

Also with the help of the leaks lol, I have pretty much formulated my team for both 😁 Part of the reason I wanted to get both versions because I want to use as many mons as I can because they're all cool. Also yes, I wanted to battle Allister too and other version exclusives that may happen. There seems to be a lot this gen! I'm pretty happy. 

Anyway I hope when the game drops we will be all posting our journeys here on the forums! It's fun sharing the experience with others. I'll be here all the way.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the track made by Toby. It's not bad. I am a fan of his work. It's just I can hear sooooo much Undertale in it.

Its not that I dislike Undertale either. I'm not crazy about it either, but it was a good time. It's just more so that Undertale and Pokemon are different things. It's not like he's not capable of creating more diverse music either. I heard the OST for Little Town Hero, and it was pretty good, but it was also a bit different than his usual works too. 

All I can muster right now is the awe in the great irony that Pulse Mr. Mime's perfect counter would have been its evolution. Wow.

Oh, and the gigantimax ended up being indeed lazy megas. Doesn't make sense. But at least a couple forms are nice. Mostly the new pokemon are horridly underwhelming though. A giant apple dragon. Really? REALLY? And some wonder why the Gen 1s are so popular... *Eye twitches*

• Upvote 1

Welp the day of reckoning is here. Apparently there were some issues on release, I'm not sure if those are resolved yet or not(apparently if you downloaded Sword and Shield from the e-shop and used auto save, the game would delete all the data off your SD card). 

I haven't looked into the game itself yet. I'm a little scared to as my general thoughts before this was that regardless of dexit and any quality issues, it'd still be a main stream pokemon game that's at least an experience for one play through. I'm fearing the worst now though, I'm kind of expecting a dumpster fire honestly. 

Well now that the game's officially out and I won't get told off for "spoilers" since this was discovered as soon as the game leaked,

fb3.png

4-1-320x178.png

1573604007346.png

evidence-claims-pokemon-sword-and-shield-has-reused-models.jpg

What do you know, the models are in fact copy-pasted from the 3ds games!  Ohmori's claim about remaking them all from scratch when was a blatant lie after all.  I mean it was completely obvious from the trailers but it needed to be proven for sure since he made that claim publicly (plus some people in the fandom were in denial).

As you can see from Noibat there, some of the Pokemon have had very minor touch ups, as in like "click two buttons in the modeling program to smooth out a surface" kind of minor.  To say that this is "remaking them from the ground up" is still blatantly untrue.

And you bought the game anyway!  So Ohmori doesn't care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Eagleby18 said:

Well now that the game's officially out and I won't get told off for "spoilers" since this was discovered as soon as the game leaked,

fb3.png

4-1-320x178.png

1573604007346.png

evidence-claims-pokemon-sword-and-shield-has-reused-models.jpg

What do you know, the models are in fact copy-pasted from the 3ds games!  Ohmori's claim about remaking them all from scratch when was a blatant lie after all.  I mean it was completely obvious from the trailers but it needed to be proven for sure since he made that claim publicly (plus some people in the fandom were in denial).

As you can see from Noibat there, some of the Pokemon have had very minor touch ups, as in like "click two buttons in the modeling program to smooth out a surface" kind of minor.  To say that this is "remaking them from the ground up" is still blatantly untrue.

And you bought the game anyway!  So Ohmori doesn't care.

Well, #GameFreakLied has been trending on twitter for a while. But yeah, people did buy it and it is what it is. 

Now that the game is officially out I can confirm that I won't be buying SWSH. Honestly though, if GF is so burned out from the Pokemon franchise that they are unwilling even to keep up the standard quality from the hand held games, (going by a previous interview they want to make this the new standard) maybe its time for someone else in Nintendo to take a shot. This will be my final post on the subject unless GF turns the ship around and make the old pokemon DLC, (and of course fix the really bad bugs the games have at launch) the problems with this Gen is apparent, talking about this  just bums me out and ultimately this is supposed to be a discussion on the game, I have no place here anymore.

• Like 4

I have to agree with the sentiment stated above by @The Swordsman. We're just kicking a dead horse at this point. 

I've been trying to keep up with the game and seeing videos like these have sort of given me a good idea of what's going on.

Spoiler

In the short, in some ways there's improvements, the games have stepped up a tiny bit here and there. There's are good ideas and concepts that was added to them but it's not worth my buck. It doesn't match the typical switch game quality, and I really don't think end product justifies the cuts made. When I buy a game, I'm looking for something that has a lot of content that will make me want to sink hours upon hours of gameplay into the game. I'm also looking for replayability, especially now more than ever since the pokemon games on the switch allow us to have multiple save files, but with the amount of hand holding, I feel as if the story will be more tedious to go through after the first playthrough rather than an exciting way for me to rediscover the game later.

I still hope anyone who actually buys the game and plays it enjoys it though, especially the kids. They deserve that at least.

Edit: Left something out here. I've been keeping track of the current Gen 8 competitive scene. Yeah, I know it's literally a day or two old at this point, but it's looking pretty messy. It's looking like competitive smogon play is going to have to ban dynamaxing. We'll see how it goes when the dust settles though.

• Like 3

I don't really care if they reused the models or not and if this means we'll be getting more Pokemon games even faster then i'm fine with it. Swsh is a good Pokemon game, imo.  This franchise has never really been about graphics so I don't know why it's such a hot topic now. As long as the Pokemon designs and music are still good, i'll keep buying and loving these games. That's all I need to say.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Youmu9 said:

I don't really care if they reused the models or not and if this means we'll be getting more Pokemon games even faster then i'm fine with it. Swsh is a good Pokemon game, imo.  This franchise has never really been about graphics so I don't know why it's such a hot topic now. As long as the Pokemon designs and music are still good, i'll keep buying and loving these games. That's all I need to say.

"This franchise has never really been about graphics so I don't know why it's such a hot topic now. " The devs used "high quality animations" as an excuse for the dex cut in an interview. I can put a link if you want.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, Vinnie said:

Well, #GameFreakLied has been trending on twitter for a while. But yeah, people did buy it and it is what it is. 

Well I didn't buy it! And I won't either. And there is an important point here many are missing. The morality. The company lied. I'm pretty sure that can actually be dealt with in a legal fashion if someone had the money somehow. Maybe not. But it should. This kind of laziness is only going to worsen when Gamefreak realizes, as it apparently has, that it can get away with this kind of unethical business practice. Those pokemon designs are a mixed bag. Now I see why they took down Uranium. Frosthra and Astronite look ten times better than Frosmoth and whatever that new evo for Yamask is called.

At this rate, the music and design quality will suffer. We're already seeing it with music, in my opinion, but that's admittedly a matter of taste. But the pokemon design is still issue. They are the draw. And they aren't made to look better? The Black/White animations and sprites had more liveliness than these things ever will. They look like almost porceline or shiny rubber in SWSH. I wouldn't play the games for that alone, frankly. The RBY era graphics, as ugly as they were, had soul. They were a form of art. All I see with SWSH is the typical CGI stuff we get nowadays. There is no soul or life there. With the knowledge that gamefreak lied, got lazy and did all that it has done with these new games, I can see the writing they're scribbling on the wall. And it isn't pretty.

Honestly, true fans of Pokemon should boycott and complain. Because it can work and force the company to look at its bottom line and actually put in effort, like other, stalwart franchises and brand games out there. Currently, Pokemon is going the way of Disney's StarWars, Arceus forbid it, and hasn't slowed down. But if we force gamefreak to hurt with some tough love, there is hope of changing that around. The reason GF and Nintendo aren't presenting better products is because they know that they fear no such response. Because their consumers are becoming more and more like sheep. Eat whatever and be thankful. Not how art should work. Not how hobbies should be treated.

That's my honest two cents and I ask everyone to please understand the genuine seriousness of the situation from a larger, societal perspective. And I don't mean to post here any further, having said my peace, and hope SWSH's flaws will reap enough woes for gamefreak to learn or for nintendo to intervene however it ought. Apologies if this interferes with people's good pleasure. But I've learned the hard way in life that what's pleasing, while needful, is not always what is best, and not often truly pleasing in the long run.

• Like 4

But this once will I double post for a separate statement. It must and SHOULD BE MADE.

I just watched the champion battle. Or suffered through five minutes of it. My first thought was "Pokemon Stadium was more engaging!"

Somewhere far away, at hopefully VERY VERY VERY profitable jobs, those dear, talented professionals from Genius Sonority are crying. Those poor people deserve a big THANK YOU from all of us. Their Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness look like something out of the next century compared to SWSH. They had dynamic, lively and immersive combat, innovate and continuous, fluid camera shifting, and famous music that the pokemon fairly danced with. Gamefreak, even 15, 15 years and a massively more powerful system and budget later, cannot even be compared. Stadium was even better at its inter-battle dynamics. Hello? Is anyone not noticing bad game design and experience when they see it? Because I do!

Dear Gigamax Pulsing Arceus! It's horrendous! Thank God I haven't wasted money on this and I am genuinely sorry for those who have, and yet also got a taste of real quality in the Gamecube games. I am sorry for you, really, truly, no malice or flaming.

I cannot express how disgusted my 9 year old me would have been. In fact, he's laughing right now with purest derision. And my 12 year old nephew would yawn, get up, and ask to go play outside in our Reborn! League role-play game. Which is ten thousand times healither and more fun, complete with his beloved Pyrous Aegislash and Azurine Ivysaur.

Now I just feel... sad. Sad to see the art of video games dying. The world is changing, and time is moving on, leaving the treasures of this era behind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Feng Lei said:

Well I didn't buy it! And I won't either. And there is an important point here many are missing. The morality. The company lied. I'm pretty sure that can actually be dealt with in a legal fashion if someone had the money somehow. Maybe not. But it should. This kind of laziness is only going to worsen when Gamefreak realizes, as it apparently has, that it can get away with this kind of unethical business practice. Those pokemon designs are a mixed bag. Now I see why they took down Uranium. Frosthra and Astronite look ten times better than Frosmoth and whatever that new evo for Yamask is called.

At this rate, the music and design quality will suffer. We're already seeing it with music, in my opinion, but that's admittedly a matter of taste. But the pokemon design is still issue. They are the draw. And they aren't made to look better? The Black/White animations and sprites had more liveliness than these things ever will. They look like almost porceline or shiny rubber in SWSH. I wouldn't play the games for that alone, frankly. The RBY era graphics, as ugly as they were, had soul. They were a form of art. All I see with SWSH is the typical CGI stuff we get nowadays. There is no soul or life there. With the knowledge that gamefreak lied, got lazy and did all that it has done with these new games, I can see the writing they're scribbling on the wall. And it isn't pretty.

Honestly, true fans of Pokemon should boycott and complain. Because it can work and force the company to look at its bottom line and actually put in effort, like other, stalwart franchises and brand games out there. Currently, Pokemon is going the way of Disney's StarWars, Arceus forbid it, and hasn't slowed down. But if we force gamefreak to hurt with some tough love, there is hope of changing that around. The reason GF and Nintendo aren't presenting better products is because they know that they fear no such response. Because their consumers are becoming more and more like sheep. Eat whatever and be thankful. Not how art should work. Not how hobbies should be treated.

That's my honest two cents and I ask everyone to please understand the genuine seriousness of the situation from a larger, societal perspective. And I don't mean to post here any further, having said my peace, and hope SWSH's flaws will reap enough woes for gamefreak to learn or for nintendo to intervene however it ought. Apologies if this interferes with people's good pleasure. But I've learned the hard way in life that what's pleasing, while needful, is not always what is best, and not often truly pleasing in the long run.

Pretty well said. 

Overall, I get it. We do need to fight and show some diligence towards boycotting if we want quality to go back to the proper level, rather than dropping lower. 

I'm a bit loathe to do this as I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade, and even those who are unaffected probably aren't happy seeing the protests, but there are valid reasons behind it. I also know that a lot of people in English speaking countries aren't the most determined people out there, boycotts don't tend to last long here in my opinion. 

Either way, I don't know if that's the solution. I really think overall it'd be nice if intellectual rights were receded from most media franchises. Intellectual rights in this area forces a lack of competition, and allows creators to do as they please, regardless of backlash. If some bootleg (group of) content creator(s) thinks they can do they can do better, then let them. It ups the ante. It ensures that each group strives for quality and allows people from all sides to see they could potentially be missing out on with one product. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Pretty well said. 

Overall, I get it. We do need to fight and show some diligence towards boycotting if we want quality to go back to the proper level, rather than dropping lower. 

I'm a bit loathe to do this as I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade, and even those who are unaffected probably aren't happy seeing the protests, but there are valid reasons behind it. I also know that a lot of people in English speaking countries aren't the most determined people out there, boycotts don't tend to last long here in my opinion. 

Either way, I don't know if that's the solution. I really think overall it'd be nice if intellectual rights were receded from most media franchises. Intellectual rights in this area forces a lack of competition, and allows creators to do as they please, regardless of backlash. If some bootleg (group of) content creator(s) thinks they can do they can do better, then let them. It ups the ante. It ensures that each group strives for quality and allows people from all sides to see they could potentially be missing out on with one product. 

Very, very well said. And you're sadly right about English speaking countries. The peoples of the British Municipalities are not determined at all.

But I feel this response from Gamefreak may reflect more Japanese viewers. Pokemon is nowhere near as popular there as it was. It seems the creators are now more interested in sinking the ship lower rather than bailing water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Feng Lei said:

Very, very well said. And you're sadly right about English speaking countries. The peoples of the British Municipalities are not determined at all.

But I feel this response from Gamefreak may reflect more Japanese viewers. Pokemon is nowhere near as popular there as it was. It seems the creators are now more interested in sinking the ship lower rather than bailing water.

Speaking of the Japanese, there was no official announcement of dexit for them. Why.

4 hours ago, Feng Lei said:

2 hours ago, nhehvnukl said:

Speaking of the Japanese, there was no official announcement of dexit for them. Why.

Well, I did some research before the release of Sword & Shield. I'd have to dig up the materials, but for the most part Japan tends to have the highest sales for most non-remake Pokemon games. Despite that the United States still trails a bit behind, with the second largest number of sales(I don't remember if it was the United States, North America, or the United States+Canada actually). 

In any case, they likely avoided saying anything to the Japanese public since anything that was said would likely spark more outrage. They didn't want that so they'd avoided the topic. It's entirely likely that they assessed the situation beforehand and decided that Japanese outrage and the potential loss of sales within their own home country was worth it. They likely made a general assessment about the potential financial damage versus time, efforts and spending before they began working on the game at all.

Sales information on the games in general is hard to find. I'd be really curious to see the sales information for Sword and Shield for this year, but I'm not sure if they'll put it out.

• Like 4