Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

Now that we've all calmed down, let's discuss! First on the list, the Galar region! Here is the map in all of it's glory:

Spoiler

galar.jpg

Oof. So that little image is the whole new region of Generation 8! Thoughts: It looks pretty big actually. The largest out of all regions maybe. We have some weird stuff going on here so let's talk about them! My eye is really focused on that big modernized city at the top. I wonder what goes on around there..

7 minutes ago, Maqqy said:

Now that we've all calmed down, let's discuss! First on the list, the Galar region! Here is the map in all of it's glory:

Reveal hidden contents

galar.jpg

Oof. So that little image is the whole new region of Generation 8! Thoughts: It looks pretty big actually. The largest out of all regions maybe. We have some weird stuff going on here so let's talk about them! My eye is really focused on that big modernized city at the top. I wonder what goes on around there..

To me, that just seems like it should be the place where everything is coming to a close. Like it's the Elite 4/Champion battle place. What caught my eyes is the 2 to 3 houses on the left side of the map. They're kind of like in the middle of some kind of forest. What is that all about?

31 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

To me, that just seems like it should be the place where everything is coming to a close. Like it's the Elite 4/Champion battle place. What caught my eyes is the 2 to 3 houses on the left side of the map. They're kind of like in the middle of some kind of forest. What is that all about?

Could be! Pokemon league can also be that dragon castle in the middle because the city at the top and I might be reaching, but it might be a battle frontier-esque kind of place. Hoping that would be the case! As per the 2 houses inside a forest with the big mushrooms? I think it might be a hidden town which has the fairy or poison gym. That would definitely be one of the prettiest places in Galar as I see it.

Some peeps are also speculating that mountain on the west side connecting with another mountain through a railway or maybe a bridge? They're saying that it leads to the Couriway station of Kalos. Do you think there will be a the slightest possibility that we might re-visit Kalos? Since Gen 6 was so lacking in content? I doubt it. But it may be plausible.... 

esf5foG.jpg

18 minutes ago, Maqqy said:

Could be! Pokemon league can also be that dragon castle in the middle because the city at the top and I might be reaching, but it might be a battle frontier-esque kind of place. Hoping that would be the case! As per the 2 houses inside a forest with the big mushrooms? I think it might be a hidden town which has the fairy or poison gym. That would definitely be one of the prettiest places in Galar as I see it.

Some peeps are also speculating that mountain on the west side connecting with another mountain through a railway or maybe a bridge? They're saying that it leads to the Couriway station of Kalos. Do you think there will be a the slightest possibility that we might re-visit Kalos? Since Gen 6 was so lacking in content? I doubt it. But it may be plausible.... 

esf5foG.jpg

Ehh. I don't ever see us going back to any past regions. I mean it's only happened once and even then, it felt kind of rushed. Maybe if there was a story to why 1 would go to Kalos, then I'd say go for it. But if they don't, then I kind of hope they stay clear of that.

EDIT: I know we're talking about the map right now, but I just really quick wanna say this. I SO want there to be Galaran Forms in this game!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maqqy said:

Those waiting for Sinnoh remakes would be so mad if that were true 😹

I wonder what the "evil team" would be like in this game, assuming there is one. 🤔

Spoiler

uwu There's a Ferris Wheel in the city that I'm calling Lumiose 2.0

And the red dome-looking place in Lumiose 2.0 looks like a stadium to play Pokemon Football owo

Or I could be totally wrong on that and the stadium would be that blue building by the lighthouse in the mid east area of Galar

EDIT: xDDDD There's a giant Dugtrio monument/building at a mountain, mid west of Galar

Ok, so I drew on the map of the region with what I think the pathways we will be going through are. I apologize for the small, and trash, writing. Unfortunately, it's very hard to see, and there were a lot of colors used, so zooming in might be necessary, (or not, depending how the image scales for the post). Edit: If anyone can tell me how to increase the size to the point that Maqqy had it, that would be great. The thing just seems smaller than the windows paint version that I have unfortunately.  

galar.thumb.jpg.96670718982b39494cb9762433a13fa2.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, J-Awesome_One said:

EDIT: I know we're talking about the map right now, but I just really quick wanna say this. I SO want there to be Galaran Forms in this game!

Omg Galaran forms... it reminds me of Phoenix rising's variant forms! Yo if we get those.... best Pokemon games of the century.

10 hours ago, SilverHelio said:

Those waiting for Sinnoh remakes would be so mad if that were true 😹

I wonder what the "evil team" would be like in this game, assuming there is one. 🤔

uwu There's a Ferris Wheel in the city that I'm calling Lumiose 2.0

And the red dome-looking place in Lumiose 2.0 looks like a stadium to play Pokemon Football owo

Or I could be totally wrong on that and the stadium would be that blue building by the lighthouse in the mid east area of Galar

Sinnoh remakes stans need to sit down and chill tbh. I look forward to them too, but that can wait. I'd rather have a Let's Go Sinnoh which is a remake of Platinum! That would be 999x better.

The evil team would most likely be an old, traditional and "victorian" type of evil team. That would be so dope.

There are so many references to Kalos!! Im..... but it is dangerous to expect so let us not. There's no harm in dreaming though. It will be really nice since UK and France are really related. Gen 6 was ROBBED of it's potential, so going back to Kalos would redeem so much of everything that has been damaged lol.

10 hours ago, Gainery said:

Ok, so I drew on the map of the region with what I think the pathways we will be going through are. I apologize for the small, and trash, writing. Unfortunately, it's very hard to see, and there were a lot of colors used, so zooming in might be necessary, (or not, depending how the image scales for the post). 

galar.thumb.jpg.96670718982b39494cb9762433a13fa2.jpg

That looks accurate! I'm really questioning that Dugtrio gate tho. What horrifics can possibly be inside there? 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NickCrash said:

Alright. The graphics are similar to USUM and we can't expect them to go much more realistic.

We know so far 5 pokemon of Gen VIII (including Meltan and Melmetal), and I have to say that the starters are not original by design, but they could become when evolved. 

So far the fire and water starter designs seem promising. The grass one (for me) not so much. 

At first glance the map seems like a straight line upwards, which isn't my cup of tea. Certainly it does so to humor the British Isle's geography, but I believe they could branch a bit to immerse the players into the adventure. Naturally this isn't final, and I'm expecting a lot from those.

The industrial part might not be simply there for aesthetics or a connection to the local lore, but it might signify this generations "special" gameplay change, as Kalos did with megas and Hawaii did with Z-stones. 

I wish for a good story, and the industrial-steampunk basis can provide a good ground upon which one can build. Let's not play it safe.

In fact, if the producers had a sense of humour, they would implement the Brexit in all of this, or at least partially as the plan of an evil team.

I can't place the wolf signs on the logos yet, since we've already received regular pokemon based on canine myths, and we've already got a lot of dogs so far. The fact that it's on both just lets us know it's important.

As for the stadium, at first I did not consider football, but rather an arena for major battles to happen, like the E4 or the Frontier.

I'm unsure how a minigame like football would integrate properly into the pokemon world, given the various shapes and sizes of those creatures.

Mario is a better suited franchise to branch a lot with such minigames. At least I'm not expecting a Gary-cart anytime soon.

I'll just have to wait and see more.

If the developers want to be really gnarly about it, they could refer it to as to why you can't visit Kalos...might kill off their British market somewhat, but it would be a bit funny.
Given that wolves are extinct in Britain, and they were rather uncommon on coats of arms, I'd think dogs would be more likely than the former (plus the Victorian era originated quite a few 'dog breeds'). But who knows? Maybe it's based on Nordic mythology (as it was quite influential, given that even the royal family are descendants of the Normans, which were descendants of Vikings).

I just hope they don't make it too easy. And that they don't implement the Let's Go-stat mechanics. But the game being on the Switch makes me quite excited if the latter doesn't happen.

Okay after studying the starters more and reading impressions:

grookey seems to be music based, perhaps styled after a maestro?  We see him using the head stick to rhythmically tap the grass on the ground to make it grow.  Makes you wonder what typing he'll get later on...

Scorbunny seems to take after a soccer player, which is cool.  This has me doubting my previous fire/fairy guess on his typing(though maybe he'll get play rough?) , sadly. I don't think he'll end up part fighting(makes sense but I doubt it) and pure fire would be boring, but his typing is what I'm most interested in. I've seen suggestions of fire/steel and fire/electric, both of which would be sweet.

Sobble is a crying chameleon, but what got my attention are how his hands are positioned in a sort of meditative position near his tummy. For anyone who watched naruto you might remember shikamaru's little hand circle when he would concentrate.  I know that in regards to chi the stomach is has some importance  though I'm not sure the specifics, so if this little detail is more than coincidence than we have a hint at perhaps a psychic or even fighting typing later on? I still feel ghost could be a thing too but hmm.

like this link sort of touches on the subject a little.

http://www.wholeliving.com/134722/taoist-massage-chi-nei-tsang

15 minutes ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

Okay after studying the starters more and reading impressions:

grookey seems to be music based, perhaps styled after a maestro?  We see him using the head stick to rhythmically tap the grass on the ground to make it grow.  Makes you wonder what typing he'll get later on...

Scorbunny seems to take after a soccer player, which is cool.  This has me doubting my previous fire/fairy guess on his typing(though maybe he'll get play rough?) , sadly. I don't think he'll end up part fighting(makes sense but I doubt it) and pure fire would be boring, but his typing is what I'm most interested in. I've seen suggestions of fire/steel and fire/electric, both of which would be sweet.

Sobble is a crying chameleon, but what got my attention are how his hands are positioned in a sort of meditative position near his tummy. For anyone who watched naruto you might remember shikamaru's little hand circle when he would concentrate.  I know that in regards to chi the stomach is has some importance  though I'm not sure the specifics, so if this little detail is more than coincidence than we have a hint at perhaps a psychic or even fighting typing later on? I still feel ghost could be a thing too but hmm.

like this link sort of touches on the subject a little.

http://www.wholeliving.com/134722/taoist-massage-chi-nei-tsang

Grookey apparently has a lot of guesses as to what his secondary typing his evolution will have. I've seen people say Dark and I've seen people say Rock. I don't see why Dark but Rock I can understand. But just going by how he looks, it screams Fighting Type but also a possibility of an Electric type just because of the fact of how his face is some what yellow. But I can totally see it getting Rock Typing. It's almost like a 3 way tie for me with this 1.

I never saw Scorbunny as evolving into a Fairy Typing. Looks too... cocky? Not sure of the word to use there but yea. Never saw it getting that typing. I've seen some people saying it could be Fire/Ground. It'd be interesting buuuut I don't see that happening. Also, I hope, hope, HOPE it's not Fire/Fighting. Moving on from that though, I could definitely see it being Electric or possibly even Steel and the reasons behind these 2 are interesting. Steel because I could see it becoming some kind of speedy knight. Maybe have a weird but cool sword of some sort. (LOL! Pokemon Sword... Anyone?... I'm sorry.) And Electric because... of football/soccer. Electric types are known to be really fast and there seems to be some kind of football/soccer thing going on in this game and I could see it being apart of that somehow.

I really have no idea what Sobble could be for its final evolution. I've heard people say Dragon and Psychic. I think there's like a 5% chance it'll be Poison but I think overall, it's gonna be Ghost. I mean yes. It can already hide itself in the water but if it continues its timid nature throughout it's evolutions, it'll be better for it to hide in other areas besides 1 with water. OR if it wants to get revenge in a way as it evolves, what scares people the most? Ghost type.

So if I had to pick just 1 and not have like 3-4 guesses, I'd say:

Grookey is gonna be Grass/Rock

Scorbunny is gonna be Fire/Electric

Sobble is gonna be Water/Ghost

• Developers

Im thinking water/poison for the water start it looked as if it had acid armor though that's not a indicator of its typing its a possibility

also I found the image that has the gen 1-7 mons displayed and added gen 8. Here's a link I uploaded to imgur think it was too big to post here https://imgur.com/a/TtTIx2r

• Like 1

I am currently mitigated about the fire bunny, but I think it's only because of the graphics. Same deal with the grass monkey.

The three starters seems to have the same smooth skin. It suits the water one which appears almost translucid as a frog/chameleon should be (just give him Protean). But it doesn't work for me with the bunny and the monkey so far. I still like them tho.

But I just can't feel the fur. And the cat wrestler wears it so well in other games.

From my perspective, an England-based region is a great selection, I always wanted to trip there. While seeing starters, I came to like Grookey and Sobble,, and to be honest, for me, that I always find Fire types cool, I'm dissapointed with Scorbunny (Last time was Fennekin) But this is an opinion on desing-wise. As for they final form typing:

Grookey, a grass pokemon which it practically a monkey, I would like a gorilla form with Grass/Rock

Scorbunny, I would be really disapointed if this bunny turns out to be a Fire/Fighting... I would like something new when it comes to starters. Maybe Fire/Ground? Considering Bucks  Bunny to dig all over..

As for Sobble, mm, I come to like this little thingy, Personally, If got the chance to get this series (I don't have a switch) I will pick this guy. I would like to be Water Dragon in its final form, but probably ain't gonna happen. So, Water/Ice would be cool.

This, will create a double cycle of advantages of starters since Kalos where it was, Chesnaught > Greninja > Delphox in terms of typing, to be Water/Ice > Fire/Ground > Grass/Rock.

Still, I can't stop the hype to see more pokemon in Galar, which turns out to be a decent name in my opinion, as well to legendaty pokemon. Maybe we will get 2 legendary wolfs, one based on Atk, and Sp. Atk. (Sword) and the other one to be Def. and Sp.Def (Shield)

2 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

Let’s hope the final evolution Fire starter (Scorbunny) doesn’t turn out to be another atrociousity. 

Like Emboar before it. And Incineroar, most notably. 

Outside of possibly your own viewpoint, the Tepig line was the only Fire starter to fall flat with the fanbase in general. The hope with the Litten line was that they wouldn't go Fire/Fighting and that maybe that Game Freak would resist the temptation to make Incineroar bipedal.

They went one for two, and after half of the Pokémon fanbase cooled off on Litten hype, at the end of the day, it still met some expectations. Smash Bros. can only be said to have helped the Heel Pokémon's popularity, if even by a little. Poor Emboar is in a league of its own.

---

I'll just say it. I do not have a problem with another Firefighter Pokémon so long as the design is cool and there is a lore reasoning for the way the Pokémon behaves. I can empathize with people who are burned out with the type combination (no pun intended), but it has KINDA been a little while since Gen 3, 4, and 5 my friends. (Also Fighting is one of two favorite types, I'll admit bias - but even I was tired of the trend when it was...you know....still actually a trend.)

The way I see it, ALMOST ALL of the Fire type Pokémon have the same burning spirit and fierce loyalty to their trainer that makes for a really solid starting partner and plays well into the Fighting type. It could just be that same spirit that all Fire types have (even if Charizard, Typhlosion, Delphox, and Incineroar) that is as requisite in a Fire starter as it is the Pokémon fit into the Zodiac.

Delphox and Incineroar say Hi. I say its time we let memes die.

---

Now, as for Sword/Shield thoughts, I'll try to be concise.

We saw enough information in the Direct for me to know that I will buy the game. I really like the Galar region's beautiful sense of scale. The game looks like a traditional Pokémon main series adventure that at the very least will slake my thirst for a new Pokémon journey. All three starters have a chance they'll be my first partner. The United Kingdom's history and background look very well translated and pique my interest. The names of the two versions are both great.

This is by no means an assurance that the game will be enjoyable universally, and without knowing what the "trying new things" that were mentioned by the developers at the end of the Direct are I can't say for sure if Generation 8 is an overall positive or negative time period in the franchise as of yet.

But, I know what I am buying already, AND if I can manage to stay unspoiled except for maybe the final evolutions of the starters to assist in making my decision, then I expect this to be a good time.

Here's an interesting topic to talk about here.

When Sun and Moon were coming out, for like the past 9 months before it came out, I think the company would have trailers every week or every other week, basically "spoiling" almost everything about the game except for the story. Here's my question to you all. Should they do the same with Pokemon Sword and Shield or should they keep almost everything/half the stuff secret. In my opinion, I kind of hope they "spoil" everything. I LOVED seeing what was going to be in the game. Plus, I loved seeing content creators on YouTube make Thoughts & Ideas episodes about some of the trailers that would come out. And I was still pumped up about playing the game when I got it despite knowing almost everything about it.

20 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Here's an interesting topic to talk about here.

When Sun and Moon were coming out, for like the past 9 months before it came out, I think the company would have trailers every week or every other week, basically "spoiling" almost everything about the game except for the story. Here's my question to you all. Should they do the same with Pokemon Sword and Shield or should they keep almost everything/half the stuff secret. In my opinion, I kind of hope they "spoil" everything. I LOVED seeing what was going to be in the game. Plus, I loved seeing content creators on YouTube make Thoughts & Ideas episodes about some of the trailers that would come out. And I was still pumped up about playing the game when I got it despite knowing almost everything about it.

Keep everything secret. Ignore all the leaks.

Let everyone Speculate. And get Angry when something doesn’t go the way they wanted.

(Insert Grinch Leak flashbacks here)

I’d say to just show off the Starters and some of the features and leave it at that. People will want to know the Pokémon they start off with.

17 hours ago, Lucky98 said:

The game looks visually amazing.

Gonna be honest, I thought the graphics looked meh. The overworld is fine, but the Pokemon themselves look like plastic.

Especially the glossy sheen on them during the battles, which is just bleh.