Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

58 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

That is exactly what fan games are for^^ For proving again and again that fans can make better games than the original developers.

You're quite right, but fan games have many hurdles that they can never overcome. 

There's the legalities, of course, which need no explanation. 

And then there's the actual management of the game, the work, effort and time required. All of these are reasons why fan games take so long in development. The team of devs for most fan games is tiny, with some only having one dev at all which also means their work is absolutely amazing considering their small teams but again, that slows down progress. 

Fan games are fantastic considering what they struggle against and they already beat out the official games when it comes to riveting, engaging stories and content, but lack of support and recognition hurts. 

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, it's too little too late for changes towards Sword/Shield. 

I have this secret hope that they're ashamed and that while they won't acknowledge their mistakes, maybe, just maybe they'll fix them in the next installment of the core series, but I wouldn't count on it. 

It's a shame the rights to Pokemon are in the hands they're in. We've already seen via reddit that we have many talented artists, graphics designers and animators. The game could be made by much better hands, with more love and dedication. 

Pokemon mania

Sonic Mania but instead of Sonic its Pokemon

I would buy it

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

You're quite right, but fan games have many hurdles that they can never overcome. 

There's the legalities, of course, which need no explanation. 

And then there's the actual management of the game, the work, effort and time required. All of these are reasons why fan games take so long in development. The team of devs for most fan games is tiny, with some only having one dev at all which also means their work is absolutely amazing considering their small teams but again, that slows down progress. 

Fan games are fantastic considering what they struggle against and they already beat out the official games when it comes to riveting, engaging stories and content, but lack of support and recognition hurts. 

And yet, despite the fact that fan game development teams are tiny compared to the dev teams on the original games, AND despite the fact that they do have a way smaller amount of resources at hand they STILL make better games......ohhhhh the irony...

As for the legal terms....well, of course the creators of the official games want to protect their franchise, but seriously.....even a blind person can see that the popularity those fan games have is because of the things that they do right or even better compared to the original games.

So WHY are the developers of the official games not learning ANYTHING from that?

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, ShogokiX said:

And yet, despite the fact that fan game development teams are tiny compared to the dev teams on the original games, AND despite the fact that they do have a way smaller amount of resources at hand they STILL make better games......ohhhhh the irony...

As for the legal terms....well, of course the creators of the official games want to protect their franchise, but seriously.....even a blind person can see that the popularity those fan games have is because of the things that they do right or even better compared to the original games.

So WHY are the developers of the official games not learning ANYTHING from that?

Because unfortunately the devs of the official games are always look for a way to make faster cash with less effort and resources. If the games go downhill because of it, then it's not their problem.

It's a shame, although it's heartwarming to think about all the effort devs of fan made games have put into their works. 

I know the controversy over dexit and the games in general is wearing out it's welcome, but this went up a few days ago and it's a really, really good watch.

I enjoy Lockstin's vids in general, but the way he plays devil's advocate while discussing this issue was really nice. Everyone on either side of the issue cherry picks, but he basically went all out for both sides, and then some.

• Like 1

Yeah well.....as far as i am concerned i have a very easy solution that fixes all the problems regarding Pokémon Sword an Shield.

There are more and more videos popping up on Youtube that prove how Game Freak has lied to us so many times, and how they got lazy over the past years.

If they keep talking about using the more powerful hardware of the Switch for "high quality animations" and "being more expressive", why couldn't they at least manage to show these "high quality animations" and "more expressive Pokémon" in their playable demos?

And here comes my solution: If Game Freak really decides to go through with this and release a half baked game with tons of reused models and animations, and lots of cut content i will simply treat Pokémon Sword and Shield as if these games don't exist at all. Game Freak can either fix these games until their relase, or they don't exist.....easy as that. It's entirely up to them^^

There are no problems with the 8th gen if the 8th gen doesn't exist in the first place.

Edit: 6 hours after this post i finally found time to watch the video that @Vinnie linked in his post just before mine. And i had a good laugh. But i agree on Lockstin's statement that Nintendo might need to get rid of Game Freak for future Pokémon games. I really recommend watching this video. Some of the things Lockstin says might not fit your opinion, depending on where you stand, but in the end he does talk facts.

Still, it won't change the fact that i stand to what i said before adding the edit.

Edited by ShogokiX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, eeveelutions have been consistently cropping up on even-numbered Generations since GSC, and I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of the fanbase is hoping that the Regional Variants won't die with Z-Moves. If that's all there is to the rumor, then it really isn't much of a stretch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course, I'd be all for it if it is true- eeveelutions have yet to disappoint me and Regional Variants were a fun time in Gen. 7, so it'd take some serious effort to make them fall flat!

4 hours ago, Maqqy said:

Eyyy new info on the 7th! Wondering what will be revealed this time?

This info date coincided with a leak! Thus further supporting its credibility. We will see 👀

Please be starter evolutions 

And maybe some more new Pokemon

29 minutes ago, SilverAngelus said:

And maybe some more new Pokemon

It's either gonna be a little bit of the plot, the starter evolutions or the bad team and maybe a new Pokemon or 2 along with it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

It's either gonna be a little bit of the plot, the starter evolutions or the bad team and maybe a new Pokemon or 2 along with it.

More like new characters symbolic of the plot. They don't usually tell us the plot 😅

Also, hopefully the typings for Zacienta

More eeveelutions can only be a good thing.

I know we're not quite at the release date yet, but I'm somewhat impressed with their trailers so far. They've at least managed to tease certain aspects of the game, and get the community guessing compared to how Sun/Moon was handled. 

Hopefully I don't have to edit this comment later. 

Alright I want to list down things that I really really liked about the trailer:

- VARIANT FORMS RETURN! Not only that, they gave it a non-kanto mon. That just makes me really glad. Now all the mons in any gen have the possibility of having a Galarian form!

- Galar Form Linoone evolves and that is quite unexpected! Which means Sirfetch'd is not that far from being a reality..... and also consider the possibilities for other mons! Ooh wee,

- The era of jerk rivals has returned and I'm guessing that is what Bede is for. They gave us a Hop and a Bede, ok ok ok 😄 

The trailer was quite short though but it's aight. One thing with the japanese trailer, they didn't show a feature in it with the English version. That was weird.

Edit: It's Pokejobs!! Even Pokemon needs to be employed sorry??

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/gameplay/pokejobs/

Another Edit: Okay so where the hell is Impidimp??

• Upvote 1

Finally, a trailer with pokemon I'm interested in! It's a bit odd that it's the effective remakes that got me, but oh well.

Galaran Weezing brings the line back up as muk's partner pokemon, it seems. A nice new defensive Subtype, a shared theme on removing the pollution that their ancestors originated from, and different ways of dealing with the accumulated toxicity. Where's Alolan Muk's crystals just sorta... appeared without much deliberate input and get in the way of any attempt is makes at being friendly, Galaran Weezing manages to keep the good and the bad separated and the former always close at hand. It's still a bad idea to try and kiss it, *especially* on the mustache, but at leas you don't have to worry about it accidentally ending you with what was meant to be a show of affection. Incidentally, the two also manage to combine the toxic themes with the nationality of their respective Rgions pretty well, with muk being pretty colorful and weezing being primarily muted grey. Not bad, I say!

I'm gonna keep my thoughts on the ziggy line brief: Why the heck do I like this so much??? Kiss isn't anywhere close to my aesthetic, yet alone heavily-make up'd brutes! Help!

On a more serious note, it does reveal that A) Galaran Forms aren't exclusive to Gen. 1 anymore (huzzah!), and B) they can get additional evolved forms (wut). That adds so much potential the idea compared to what Alola gave us, and the Alolan branch was already pretty nice across the board persian potentially excluded. Who knows, maybe I will wind up getting my steamboat skarmory after all!

A hamster with weaponized hanger. What else really needs to be said here?

All in all, I'm more amused with this batch than I was for most of the others, so... maybe I'll be "going" with a normal team after all? It certainly seems more likely now than it did before, at least.

...I'd say it's a new pokemon entirely. It seems like GF is looking to see if they can use the Regional Variants as a means to add additional evolutions to existing lines without risking the possibility that they's tick people off by 'ruining' the existing pokemon with it like what happened with the Sinnohlution backlash. More to the specific point, there never was an "obstagoon" prior to Gen. 8, meaning that it specifically is a whole new pokemon in a similar manner to magmortar and slowking.

• Thanks 1

A Linoone evolution was the last thing I was expecting lol. But Regional Variants returning is amazing. 

The concept behind Team Yell is kind of interesting, but the name is meh

I have to say, one of the best parts of what we've seen so far are the character designs. I really like the new rivals. Bede looks more of a Silver/Blue type rival so that's cool.

3 minutes ago, Lucky98 said:

The concept behind Team Yell is kind of interesting, but the name is meh

Well I mean they are cheering for Marnie after all so the name makes sense. I wonder if they're gonna do what they did in S/M and have the Aethur Foundation kind of like the actual bad guys and Team Skull just be there. 

1 minute ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

Well I mean they are cheering for Marnie after all so the name makes sense. I wonder if they're gonna do what they did in S/M and have the Aethur Foundation kind of like the actual bad guys and Team Skull just be there. 

Oh they're definitely not the main antagonists by any mean. I still stand by the Pokemon League Association/Chairman Rose/Leon being the main bad guys

• Like 1

I kinda want the game's story to just be a social commentary on the political side of the sports scene, with Zacian/Zacamenta only showing up to forcefully complain about the bad sportsmanship and shilling going on. It'd certainly be a curious change of pace compared to most Pokemon games, at least.

6 hours ago, Maqqy said:

Edit: Japanese Ver. Trailer

If you look carefully towards the end of the Japanese trailer ("Galar Art Book"), you'll see a new little unfamiliar Pokemon. Kinda looks like Zygarde Core with pixie wings, adorable :3

Spoiler

632923005_ScreenShot2019-08-07at3_39_11PM.png.27d55451fd15531d3924ca2edff1dd54.png