Maqqy

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

20 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

So I guess a lot of you are competitive players?

As a novice competitive player who like to watch some competitive stuff sometimes, I can say that the competitive future is incertain. According to some players, it can turn out very good or very bad. I have listed some potential consequences of this decision:

• We can assume that legendaries and pseudo-legendaries, being part of the region where they come from, will be not available anymore. For instance, we could say goodbye to the Tapus and the Ultra-Beasts native in Alola. Plus, in Gen 7, we had an event every two months for a new legendary available. I guess it won't be the case anymore. There are currently 20 legendaries out fo 50 pokemons in the OU metagame. This will induce changes if some of them are left out. Even the Uber tier may not exist anymore.
  • Breeding options may change. Some moves may not be available anymore.
  • The new mechanic Dynamax seems too brutal from what has been shown so far (discount Z-moves and boost in stats, at least in HP). Being able to sweep for 3-turns without setting up will enforce taking counter-measures such as a defensive Dynamax (hello Toxapex), moves like Substitute, Fake Out, Protect ... abilities like Prankster and Sturdy … items like Red Card and Focus Sash … It doesn't look healthy! But again, we don't know yet how this mechanic will work.

In conclusion, the competitive stage is a big box to be shaken. And what will come out could be tasty or disgusting.

Well it’s been 100% confirmed. RIP Megas and Z moves. I hope at the very least megas come back some day 

6 hours ago, Des Teto said:

As a novice competitive player who like to watch some competitive stuff sometimes, I can say that the competitive future is incertain. According to some players, it can turn out very good or very bad. I have listed some potential consequences of this decision:

• We can assume that legendaries and pseudo-legendaries, being part of the region where they come from, will be not available anymore. For instance, we could say goodbye to the Tapus and the Ultra-Beasts native in Alola. Plus, in Gen 7, we had an event every two months for a new legendary available. I guess it won't be the case anymore. There are currently 20 legendaries out fo 50 pokemons in the OU metagame. This will induce changes if some of them are left out. Even the Uber tier may not exist anymore.
  • Breeding options may change. Some moves may not be available anymore.
  • The new mechanic Dynamax seems too brutal from what has been shown so far (discount Z-moves and boost in stats, at least in HP). Being able to sweep for 3-turns without setting up will enforce taking counter-measures such as a defensive Dynamax (hello Toxapex), moves like Substitute, Fake Out, Protect ... abilities like Prankster and Sturdy … items like Red Card and Focus Sash … It doesn't look healthy! But again, we don't know yet how this mechanic will work.

In conclusion, the competitive stage is a big box to be shaken. And what will come out could be tasty or disgusting.

I don't understand how any of these things are bad. Legendaries and Megas/Z-moves are horribly unbalanced. Honestly, i'm glad they are gone. That means people will use other Pokemon instead of all 4 Tapus, an Ultra Beast, and the obligatory Mega. Also, I don't see how a temporary 3 turn power boost that any Pokemon can use is even close to how broken a permanent one that belongs to only a select few or a one shot move that can come out of nowhere. 

3 hours ago, Majin J-Awesome_One said:

Just curious. Since apparently there is now a person in the Gym Stadiums to heal your Pokemon, does that make the game easier or shorter? Curious to see everyone's opinions.

I'm about 90% certain that person is just there so you can heal during the demo

5 minutes ago, Lucky98 said:

I'm about 90% certain that person is just there so you can heal during the demo

Hmm... Probably now that I think about it but it wouldn't surprise me if Pokemon decided to do that.

I said this sometime before but using new pokemon was the never the appeal for me. Ever since the later years of Gen3 (which apparently GF learned nothing from) I've have been breeding my team over into the next Gen, so I can experience the new region with my favorite pokemon. (with the team being updated if I really like a new pokemon) This news is utterly devastating for me, depending on whats in the Dex I might stop playing Pokemon. (except fan games)

On 6/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, Youmu9 said:

I don't understand how any of these things are bad. Legendaries and Megas/Z-moves are horribly unbalanced. Honestly, i'm glad they are gone.

I’m personally kinda torn. Megas were an interesting idea that was horribly executed. Too many already powerful Pokemon were given megas to make them even better, Salamanca, Garchomp, T-Tar, Gengar, Metagross and all legendary megas all spring to mind.

Pokemon like the Kanto starters, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Ampharos were fine since they suck and needed help to be decent. But can’t have one group without the other.

As for legendaries, kinda the same situation. Sure some of them are OP, but on the other hand Articuno.

• Thanks 1

Sooo… when people ask how many Pokemon there are, do they just mean Pokemon names or do they also include the alternate forms? (Ex: Alolan forms, Mega Evolutions, Deoxys forms, Wormadamn forms, etc.) Because I just saw a video online that is very interesting.

I'm pretty sure they are going by Dex# and those never count alternate forms. Galar must be adding a ton of new Pokemon, if that's the case.

In the interview, Masuda said we were going to be at over 1000 pokemon including alternate forms. This is really just a pointless statement since we're at 950+ as of gen 7

Honestly, their statement about doesn't seem like it's going to hold up. Someone on reddit did a bit of math, and while this is an estimate that'll be comfirmed later when the game is released- 

Spoiler

Let's take a look at Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire in particular. They had 721 Pokemon total with 48 mega evolutions. By /u/artistX100's estimation of 5MB per pokemon, that would be 3.845GB total just for the Pokemon. With the max 3DS cart size at 8GB, they'd be roughly have the Cart taken up by just Pokemon. Sounds pretty bad, right?

But that is NOT the case. I dumped Omega Ruby straight from my actual cart and the actual size of the game is 1.79GB. MUCH lower than the estimate from /u/artistX100.

So let's take a closer look at the actual Pokemon Models and Textures. There actually is a comprehensive data dump of all Models and Textures from XY to LGPE that can be found out there. Here is a screenshot from the database.

Let's look at ORAS first. The total size of the Model and Texture folders for the Pokemon is 348.1MB. That is about 453KB per Pokemon. That is roughly a TENTH of /u/artistX100's estimate.

Now let's look at LGPE. This folder has the models and textures in the same folder with a total of 127.1MB. LGPE had 153 pokemon in it as well as all Kanto Alolan Variants and Mega Evolutions. This comes out to about 831KB per pokemon. That is 1/20th of the 15MB that was estimated.

Now let's consider Sword and Shield. Let's say they are increasing the fidelity a tad. I'll be generous and say 1.5MB per Pokemon (twice the size per pokemon of LGPE.) I'm genuinely not sure if they've announced how many new Pokemon they're adding in Sword & Shield but let's say 86, just like Sun and Moon. With the current 812 + 86 making 878 pokemon. 1.5MB x 898 = 1.347GB. That can easily fit on one Switch cartridge with room to spare.

We'll have a confirmation on this later, but for the moment this is deeply concerning.

Also over on Smogon forums there's been plenty of discussion on Dynamaxing and Gigamaxing mechanics as well as the loss of Megas and Z-moves. It's quite damaging to the competitive community. There's also a lot of ideas going around that if neither Dynamaxing or even Gigamaxing require a held item, and that damages the integrity of competitive, as it's very much random. There was even talk of Showdown not updating beyond Gen 7.