So, Throwing this out there: Trying to make a Psycho Mantis-like Psychic type gym leader.

ShadeStrider

If I ever get the time to learn RPGMaker and make my own Pokemon game, would this be possible within the limits of the engine?

For those of you who don't know, Psycho Mantis was a boss in Metal Gear Solid 1, the greatest Playstation 1 game ever made. He apparently had psychic abilities like being able to read your mind. 

To simulate this, the game would read the memory card, and if a compatible game had memory saved on that memory card, Psycho Mantis would call you out on it.

Here is a demonstration.

For its time, It was a really impressive use of the technology at the time. Very creative. It made for an awesome boss fight. 

Nowadays... It isn't used as much, but even if I were to put it into my Pokemon Fangame, It wouldn't be as impressive, as the Idea has already been done over.

But It could make for an interesting Psychic Type gym leader. The whole "She's really a Psychic" factor would still be there.

I don't know much about RPGMaker, but I'm guessing that to achieve this, you'd have to write the code to read the Local Disk on the Computer, go into Users, then go into the folder of the User who's playing the game, and Check the "Saved Games" folder, and see if there's a file called "Pokemon Reborn" in there. Then you have the gym leader say something like "You've played Pokemon Reborn before, haven't you? The creator of this game thinks Lin is the best character, even though she barely has any screentime."

Or in an alternate case, have it read the folder for "Pokemon Rejuvenation" and say "So, you've played Xenoblade Pokemans, haven't you? Oh, Interceptor."

And So on and So forth. I'd probably have it read 4 times before breaking the program.

I'd guess that this would use the same kind of code that allows you to save games.

So would it be possible within the limits of RPGMaker?

Spoiler

If I ever do get around to making Pokemon Fangame, then you could bet on a lot of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy influences.

Doesn't mean I'll make a character out of a Shirtless bisexual vampire, a Fat guy who likes bombs, A Senator from Colorado, A Nihilistic Ninja Man who gives Philosophical Speeches about Memes, or a Photosynthetic Sniper who's lived for a century and has a pet parrot.

But maybe... Cloning Humans would be a neat subject to explore? Maybe drawing parallels to Mewtwo's creation? I'm still disappointed that this wasn't talked about in Super Smash Bros Ultimate since both Solid Snake and Mewtwo are in that game.

5 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

If I ever get the time to learn RPGMaker and make my own Pokemon game, would this be possible within the limits of the engine?

For those of you who don't know, Psycho Mantis was a boss in Metal Gear Solid 1, the greatest Playstation 1 game ever made. He apparently had psychic abilities like being able to read your mind. 

To simulate this, the game would read the memory card, and if a compatible game had memory saved on that memory card, Psycho Mantis would call you out on it.

Here is a demonstration.

For its time, It was a really impressive use of the technology at the time. Very creative. It made for an awesome boss fight. 

Nowadays... It isn't used as much, but even if I were to put it into my Pokemon Fangame, It wouldn't be as impressive, as the Idea has already been done over.

But It could make for an interesting Psychic Type gym leader. The whole "She's really a Psychic" factor would still be there.

I don't know much about RPGMaker, but I'm guessing that to achieve this, you'd have to write the code to read the Local Disk on the Computer, go into Users, then go into the folder of the User who's playing the game, and Check the "Saved Games" folder, and see if there's a file called "Pokemon Reborn" in there. Then you have the gym leader say something like "You've played Pokemon Reborn before, haven't you? The creator of this game thinks Lin is the best character, even though she barely has any screentime."

Or in an alternate case, have it read the folder for "Pokemon Rejuvenation" and say "So, you've played Xenoblade Pokemans, haven't you? Oh, Interceptor."

And So on and So forth. I'd probably have it read 4 times before breaking the program.

I'd guess that this would use the same kind of code that allows you to save games.

So would it be possible within the limits of RPGMaker?

Reveal hidden contents

If I ever do get around to making Pokemon Fangame, then you could bet on a lot of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy influences.

Doesn't mean I'll make a character out of a Shirtless bisexual vampire, a Fat guy who likes bombs, A Senator from Colorado, A Nihilistic Ninja Man who gives Philosophical Speeches about Memes, or a Photosynthetic Sniper who's lived for a century and has a pet parrot.

But maybe... Cloning Humans would be a neat subject to explore? Maybe drawing parallels to Mewtwo's creation? I'm still disappointed that this wasn't talked about in Super Smash Bros Ultimate since both Solid Snake and Mewtwo are in that game.

I doubt it would be possible without intruding within the contents of the computer like malware would, looking at info without consent, basically you would likely need to be able to walk that same thin line i would think, unless it looked for folders in the saved games area named after games you inputted but still i don't think it's something that should be done vs something can be done