Sign in to follow this  
Arkadius

[Question/potential misc bug] Gym trainers being active after defeating gym leader

Hey, first of all sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. I read the ''start here'' topic, but I couldn't really classify this is any of the possibilities listed there.

I have a question regarding gym trainers that are active even after defeating the gym leader in said gym. 

This happens in several spots:

- Florinia's gym, even though I always disregarded this because I saw the school as a training ground and the trainers there not really as gym leaders. 

- Kiki's gym, same as Florinia, I saw the gym as a training ground and the trainers there not as actual gym trainers

- Serra's gym, there are two trainers in every room. If you know where to rock smash you can simply skip the fights. After beating Serra though, there trainers will still fight you. This is normally not an issue because you can simply skip them on the way back.

- Hardy's gym, this is where I decided to ask the question. 

I was reviewing the speedrun I did recently. When I was rewatching the Hardy split I realised that there is actually an optional trainer in Hardy's gym, which is this trainer:

unknown.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I already unlocked Hardy's room by completing the guitar note puzzle and rock climbing to the top.

You do not have to fight this trainer to complete the puzzle. 

I proceeded to defeat Hardy. 

After defeating Hardy, you'd want to exit the gym to complete E18. 

However, this trainer will still fight you. There is no way to avoid him as you cannot rock climb down. 

So, my question is: is this  intended or an oversight?

Find attached a savefile that has just defeated Hardy.

-Ark

game.rxdata

10 minutes ago, Arkadius said:

Hey, first of all sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. I read the ''start here'' topic, but I couldn't really classify this is any of the possibilities listed there.

I have a question regarding gym trainers that are active even after defeating the gym leader in said gym. 

This happens in several spots:

- Florinia's gym, even though I always disregarded this because I saw the school as a training ground and the trainers there not really as gym leaders. 

- Kiki's gym, same as Florinia, I saw the gym as a training ground and the trainers there not as actual gym trainers

- Serra's gym, there are two trainers in every room. If you know where to rock smash you can simply skip the fights. After beating Serra though, there trainers will still fight you. This is normally not an issue because you can simply skip them on the way back.

- Hardy's gym, this is where I decided to ask the question. 

I was reviewing the speedrun I did recently. When I was rewatching the Hardy split I realised that there is actually an optional trainer in Hardy's gym, which is this trainer:

unknown.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I already unlocked Hardy's room by completing the guitar note puzzle and rock climbing to the top.

You do not have to fight this trainer to complete the puzzle. 

I proceeded to defeat Hardy. 

After defeating Hardy, you'd want to exit the gym to complete E18. 

However, this trainer will still fight you. There is no way to avoid him as you cannot rock climb down. 

So, my question is: is this  intended or an oversight?

Find attached a savefile that has just defeated Hardy.

-Ark

game.rxdata

Probably an oversight. Normally you'd expect people to not get all the notes right before hearing the melody they have to replicate.

It definitely sounds plausible as an oversight. The trainer's in Serra's gym could also be an oversight as you would normally expect people to fight them in order to get the hints on where to rock smash.