Pokemon Reborn Episode 18 Speedrun in 7 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds

Arkadius

Hello again,

A little while ago I completed my first speedrun of episode 18 in 8 hours, 33 minutes and 7 seconds:

Today I completed a new run in 7 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds:

image.png.2fa41e88fdf7346147b86aa549ae2611.png

This is a segmented run, as it was last time. 

Segments that went really bad early on were reset this time (as a segmented run would normally do).

This time might not be a good representation of a single segment run. I would like to do single segments runs, but I don't have 8 hours in a day to spend on it for the forseeable future. 

This is a really big improvement. I expected to save about 45-60 minutes. This time is really good. 

I was able to improve it by:

- Better gameplay

- Better ingame choices

- Better movement

- Better strats for hard fights

- Rerouting certain time consuming parts

Some interesting changes are definitely in the E18 content. The fight against Solaris has been significantly changed. Previously Nidoqueen was used with a lot of x items. Now basically the entire team is used and the only x item needed is 1 x defend. 

The Hardy fight also features a new strat: brick break along with 1 extra x attack. Brick is a lot more consistent and doesn't cause you to lose so much HP when you miss (which happens often in the rocky field). To compensate for lower base power an extra x attack is used. 

Nidoqueen is send out instead of Ampharos. Nidoqueen with x defend can tank a lot of moves, buying more time for Blaziken to get set up and sweep. 

E: Link to the speedrun route:

https://mega.nz/#!5ARXWYyY!G_WdQjEJ3cfZW3IfHPHuk-FlV-GDHRTd8MPcSIklqjY

E: Link to youtube playlist: 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1soDJJkbF9adcHKKNGT5V3ePAVrgdx3

Arkadius

Edited by Arkadius
  • Upvote 3

My view on this is as follows: the speedup function is an developer intended mechanism in the game. If it wasn't there, and you had to use cheatengine to speed up the game I would never allow it in a speedrun. Given the fact that it's present in the game and can be used without any form of external program needed in my view it's perfectly fine to use it in a speedrun. Using RTA (real time attack) timing is also perfectly fine. Originally the pokemon speedrunning community used to always time their games with the ingame timer. A few years ago the choice was made to switch from the ingame timer to a RTA timed runs. One of the reasons for this was the strange way the game rounded down or rounded up the ingame time. 

In pokemon yellow for example, the WR at some point was a 1:55 (1 hour and 55 minutes) while the RTA time was 1 hour, 56 minutes and 49 seconds. Reborn also round down to the minute. Even though at this point it is extremely unlikely that it matters, I believe RTA timed runs are better. 

It also allows people who have less time in real life to try and do a run. 

Forcing people to not use the speedup function results in 20+ hour runs. I would not be doing any more attempts at that point. 

But there is no one to stop you from doing a run without the speedup function, so if you want to do it go for it.