Dev Blog | V12 Status Thread

Jan

44 minutes ago, Myrrh said:

Mind explaining these game comparisons?

Xenogears is a mech game but it has a large cast that goes into really, really dark themes and ideas (like Reborn) and the graphics and feel will kind of feel at home having that little vibrant spunk at times to make you laugh. It's a bit archaic with random encounters but it certainly is a ride. Some people would argue it's the best PlayStation RPG storyline. It's a long RPG but once you get to D-block you'll get why I recommend Reborn players play it.

Trails of the Sky series ho boy. I love this series because it's really well written and simple, but you realize how deep it really is in 3rd. It has a bunch of sidequests which are all really fun (Zero no Kiseki 1-ups this and kills it) and the games are play how you want. Characters all have rather specific roles but you can customize their magic and all that jazz. Estelle (the main protagonist) is also better Aelita.

If I were to give other recommendations:

Reborn: Persona 3, Shadow Hearts (haven't played but heard good things), and Valkyria Chronicles

Rejuvenation: Tales of Phantasia (the PSX translation and not the godawful GBA one), FFV, Chrono Trigger, and Mother 3

Could definitely name others if you're in the market for something else but that's a good variety to look into.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:31 PM, seki108 said:

On the forums, there are Spork (complete) and Desolation (a few gyms in) which both(?) use the 'reborn formula'.  

I beat those a long time ago and still waiting for V5 for Desolation. But yeah, thanks anyways 🙂

1 minute ago, Izetarion said:

I beat those a long time ago and still waiting for V5 for Desolation. But yeah, thanks anyways 🙂

welp ur gonna wait a while i imagine seeing as what i told you over on the desolation page is unfortunately true as for how long this while is ur guess is as good as anyone elses

21 minutes ago, Morganstern15 said:

I'm so excited for V12!!! Out of curiosity, Is there an update on how complete V12 is or is Jan's first post in this discussion thread the current known progress of V12?

The first post gets updated with the, well, updates 😂

1 hour ago, ShadeStrider said:

@Jan

So why is Melia’s name “Melia” and not “Fiora”?

Gamer, the real question is:

Why is Melia's name "Melia", and not "Aerith" or "Tifa" as a reference to clearly everyone's favorite game The Final Fantasy 7

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sardines said:

Why is Melia's name "Melia", and not "Aerith" or "Tifa" as a reference to clearly everyone's favorite game The Final Fantasy 7

But I mean, Jan clearly loves Xenoblade. He outright confirmed it. Even if you didn’t read his confirmation, you can tell from the Interceptor being a plot element, “Ether” being a thing in Rejuvenation, and of course, the name Melia being used.

I don’t think Jan plays much Final Fantasy.

• Developers
3 minutes ago, ShadeStrider said:

But I mean, Jan clearly loves Xenoblade. He outright confirmed it. Even if you didn’t read his confirmation, you can tell from the Interceptor being a plot element, “Ether” being a thing in Rejuvenation, and of course, the name Melia being used.

I don’t think Jan plays much Final Fantasy.

Er... Ether was already a thing in Pokemon canon. And the concept of The Interceptor is definitely not something Xenoblade created. Also I literally already answered this question before. I just like the name. 

45 minutes ago, Sardines said:

Shite, you right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jan said:

Er... Ether was already a thing in Pokemon canon. And the concept of The Interceptor is definitely not something Xenoblade created. Also I literally already answered this question before. I just like the name. 

Shite, you right.

Fair enough.

Except I don’t remember Ether being a concept in Pokemon other than those Items that restored PP. Other than that, Fair enough.

I haven’t played gale of darkness, so I don’t know.

Yeah well....let's name all characters in the game after some famous, beloved characters from our favorite video games or anime! We are in desperate need of a character named Cloud in Rejuvenation, who swings around a ridiculously oversized Honedge XD

Just kidding, pls don't do that ^^'

I'm just going to say that a pet peeve I get is when people gripe about the name of a character not being "XXX" or "XTX" since that'd "make more sense". Honestly, I play with this idea quite a bit and it really doesn't matter what the character's name is, but it simply is what we remember them by. The best names are not too generic, but not too hard to say or pronounce. Fei Fong Wong is a good example since it's so weird it's memorable. But in the end, it's not really all that important. I'm busy otherwise I'd go into a deeper discussion about it.

I think there are different approaches to names. There is stuff like Ace Attorney, which makes punny names all the way, like the police pair Pat and Rola - patroller, basically. Its memorable and get some laughs, but its for comedic stuff mostly. 

There is a meaningful way, like Xenosaga does, for example, with Nigredo, Albedo and Rubedo, the parts of the alchemic transmutation process, which is appreciated and deep, but for that games need to have a solid theme its trying to unveil and follow it up. 

Then there is just something you find fitting and memorable, because "if it fits, it sits", which i think is this scenario and most adventure and fantasy games. Names like Venam, for example. Her rebellious teen spirit made her reject her original name, make up a nickname and it stuck to her. (i actually think in her arc in the end she will be okay with her mother calling her Veronica, since she appreciate her mother in her life. I hope this will be the case). We understand how it came to be, it has a history to it, its memorable. The other example is Melia and Marianette. Its the mystery behind them and their connection to each other that just makes it stuck in the head and so much more memorable. Then there is stuff like Crawli, which might refer to his crawling, while searching for bugs, crawling through life despite being blind, ir maybe even to esoteric legend that is Alistair Crowli. And there are laughably shoehorned named like Amber, CAUSE FIRE YO DAUG, which just add to the charm in my opinion. 

My point is there are many ways to make character names very memorable and fitting, and whether intentional or not, props to Jan and co for that, for i am able to associate Rejuv names with thing and find meaning behind them. So i personally think none of the names should have been changed and jan knows what he is doing. (well maybe not, but it still works)

Yeah, the Phoenix Wright series.....some stupid names left and right with every chapter of the game. Then again, this whole game makes you laugh for how over the top some characters are. Up to this day i am convinced that Maya is actually a 6 year old girl trapped in a 17 year old body and Phoenix is actually Sonic the Hedgehog who fled his own franchise because he can't take it any more XD

On 5/13/2019 at 4:48 PM, Izetarion said:

How did you get Mewtwo on your team (I saw it in your teams list.)

You can add any pokemon with a mod pack, the thread nearby. Instructions also there. I personally used it to add Vulpix to my starter team and change IV and EV a bit to not breed stuff for 700 hours. 

I think it looks awesome, but... to be honest, i also think it does not fit Crawli's image nor his mindset. Those are just my thoughts and by no means i want to sound negative for the heck of it. 

First of all, Crawli by himself is a gentle person, he values life and kindness, and even if he can stand up and fight when needed, he is timid. The "After" sprites make him look cocky, aggressive, disregarding of his values. 
Second, the bug catching net is straight up bad for him, imo. When he fell down and was helped by insect pokemon, Crawli established them as his friends, as something equal to him. The net kinda points at the inferiority of the insects, at the fact that Crawli is not their comrade, but they are his tools. 

While i think technically sprites are fantastic, i personally think his old image fits him much more and the "After" one completely misses the character.  

• Upvote 2