So, Patch 2.0.0 came out last night, and with it came the plant.

ShadeStrider

His neutral B is useless. It's slow, doesn't do a lot of damage, and can easily be punished. Even as an edgeguarding tool it's predictable.

His recovery is decent, his Aerials are decent, though I think D-Air is the best as if now.

His grab range is pathetic. What did you expect from a literal plant?

Probably a Mid to low tier character, to be honest. Unless someone decides to advance the "Piranha Plant Metagame."

No Deku Baba echo fighter? Disappointing.

He’s an oddball character that hasn’t been explored yet.  Idk how good he’ll be, but he isn’t a straight forward character.

one thing that caught my eye is that he can pretend to be Forsburn.

Some observations.

I really like Plant's up air for two reasons. It's really good recovery, and it also drags in characters for repeated damage. This makes dancing around the edges of the stage and getting your opponent to chase after you in order to set up the move. With proper timing, it combos with the grab. A lot of decent damage-racking comes off of either Plant's grabs or the poison.

That really cool down b is somewhat difficult to maneuver because it involves having to tip over the pot Plant is in. It has significant lag and accuracy issues, especially if unpracticed. It's a shame, because it has insane range.

So, here's how I've found Plant to be successful.

• Try to set up the poison often early in the stocks. The poison alone racks up like 40 percent damage and combining it with a jab can get you much closer to the launch range very quickly. Poison also does some silly things like allowing Plant to hide and then set up a combo or the down B while invisible. When in doubt, side B.
  • You can use the spikey ball neutral b as an edge guarding weapon, but its tricky to use. Remember, the ball being closer to Plant's mouth means it will travel farther to the side when you flick it over. Further from Plant's mouth shortens the distance the spikeball travels.
  • You can down grab and then combo pretty reliably, including air smashs and specials, so when you're a little closer to taking a stock, go for grabs if you are in the middle of the stage.
  • Plant's down air can spike.

Up throw kills.

spikey ball is a threat the moment it comes out of its mouth.  You can pressure platforms or combo with it.

when you down B the head remains damagable, and the pot is the body.  I’ve seen clips of someone spiking the head and the body getting sent to hell.

you can unleash side b and use the cloud to mask your actions by standing in the poison.  It’s popular to down b in it.