So, Smash Ultimate's best character, competitively. Who is it?

ShadeStrider

Whoever stands at the very top of the tier list will cement themselves in Smash Bros History, forever.

Melee Fox, Brawl (and Project M, I guess, though He wasn’t as dominant) Meta Knight, and Smash 4 Bayonetta, as well as Sheik (though he lost his spot at the top in both Smash 4 and Melee) have made their mark in competitive Smash Bros, and are adrift in a sea of memes about how unbelievably overpowered they are.

Smash Ultimate will undoubtely have a character rise to the top.

Really, there are two main contenders: King K. Rool, and Pikachu. But there probably are some characters that we haven't seen yet.

So, who will be the character at the very top of the tier list? Who will dominate the Metagame?

No Items, King K. Rool Only, Final Destination? No Items, Pikachu only, Final Destination? No Items, Solid Snake only, Final Destination?

Who do you think it will be?

It's hard to say. The competitive scene is still in its infancy, and new things are being discovered every day. Even characters that are obviously on the lower end of the power scale feel good to play and have amazing tricks up their sleeve that may give them niches in the long term. Being a fundamentally good player is more important than ever.

That said, K. Rool hasn't been making tournament cuts whatsoever. It's a consistent stream of swordies, space animals, princesses, and a certain self-destructive mouse that find themselves in the finals time and time again. You do see quite a bit of variance by region, though. Characters like Pokémon Trainer are huge in the midwest, whereas Olimar has a bigger following on the coasts.

Oh please, King K. Rool is so overrated. He has notable flaws and while his specials and belly armor are so cool there are many ways to deal with it and at top level play it wont see so much success after top players figure out the matchup. Speaking of heavies, Snake and Ridley may even have a better neutral thanks to projectiles or spacing aerials. However, King K. Rool definitely isn't the best character

Pikachu is instead a very good contender for the spot, as he got everything he missed in smash 4 - a spike, kill options that are not thunder, a godlike Nair and being one of the only character with an untouched recovery while many others' got nerfed. Unless other characters get some ridiculously broken stuff, Pikachu has pretty high chances of being the best character in the game

Inkling girl is also very good (boy is ugly) and she is a very versatile character but she struggles to close stocks and refill ink in some situations so she may be the best... but I'm not so sure

People talk much about Young Link too, and I would be really like to see him rising to the top. He has everything needed, ranged options, movement, agility, recovery, decent frame data and he is a bit obnoxious to fight. His only flaws are the lack of a fast grab and kill potential, as he has a tether and his best killing moves are Fair, Upair and smash attacks - meaning he will usually try to finish stocks with boomerang into stuff

Marth... well he is marth and this can only mean one thing: he will be one of the best characters in the game like in melee brawl and wiiu, but not the absolute best at all. Rip Marth

Ice Climbers might have the potential tk be number 1: if players discover more and more desyncs to get 0 to deaths 100% of the times in tournament matches they will be broken a bit like in Brawl and rise to the top of the tier list. However, even in the RARE possibility they have some stupid options they could get nerfed so... Rip Climbers too

Snake is an awesome character, with so many options, he will of course be high tier but not number one. He is a bit slow and many characters can deal with his granades and c4, but he will be top 10 imo as he has one of the greatest sheer potential in the game

Luigi is a bit like the climbers, everything depends of his combo potential and how reliable it is in tournament play. I wouldn't put my money on him, he will probably be mid-high but who knows

However, one thing is true: we can't really make predictions about who's the best out there. Personally, I'm maining Ridley with Dark Samus and Rosalina as secondary and altough they are not the best, this game is probably the most balanced of the series. My personal prediction is that Pikachu will be the best character but probably he wont be.