Stuck in grass monorun

kithas

While doing my grass monorun, I've hit a rock with the name of shelly, whose team tears through mine with Struggle bug alone without losing one of theirs. Any ideas to what to do with my team to make it not happen? Also, as I know this is going to happen with the likes of Serra or Charlotte, any advise to making a better grass team?

Roselia | 35
Rose Inciense
Poison Point
Timid
- Giga Drain
- Magical Leaf
- Worry Seed
- Toxic Spikes

Tangela | 35
None
Regenerator
Docile
- Mega Drain
- Knock Off
- Growth
- Poison Powder

Venusaur | 35
None
Overgrow
Timid
- Nature Power
- Poison Powder
- Leech Seed
- Petal Dance

Pumpkaboo | 35
None

Pickup
Hasty
- Razor Leaf

- Leech Seed

- Trick-or-Treat

- Shadow Sneak

Alternate form Carnivine* (Grass/Fire) | 35
None
Levitate
Lax
- Nature Power

- Bite

- Leaf Tornado

- Incinerate
(*) From the Mod Pack: here

Ludicolo | 34
None
Rain Dish

Quirky
- Mega Drain

- Bubble Beam

- Nature Power

- Mist

Thanks to any help that can come!

I'd recommend capturing a Hoppip with Grassy Field from near Obsidia Slums. Grassy Field removes the boost to Struggle Bug that the Forest Field gives while still boosting your Pokémon and Jumpluff is fast enough to reliably set it up. It also learns Acrobatics at Level 34 - even if Jumpluff's offense sucks, that's still a very powerful move that early on.

Also, tangela learns Ancient Power and evolves on Lv. 38, that should probably be enough to power through her team.

I don't know how Serra's current team looks, but for Charlotte you could probably pull some things with Prankster Whimsicott or trick Room Alolan Exeggcutor. I'd make sure to get a Cradily for that.

Did you remember to pick up the Mystery Egg?

• Like 1

Oh, I've already got a Skiploom, I didn't think on the grassy field thing 😮  Also, I had thought about the tangrowth, but SB was already so strong I didn't think it would matter.

For future leaders, I am in fear mostly of Charlotte, she's done a number on my time on past runs, so... Thanks!

Two ideas, maybe three or four.

Cherrim, the weird flower-cherry pokemon who learns Sunny Day. You can activate some abilities, set up the Rainbow field if Shelly uses Rain Dance, or simply increase your fire-power.

Leavanny, the fast Grass-Bug pokemon. He has Sticky Web and Struggle Bug if you want to use Shelly's own weapon against her.

There is a Grass/Fairy mon that looks like a scary mushroom. Don't remember the name. But it's not weak to Bug and it can sleep pokemon.

There is a fast Grass types available in the Park when it's sunny. It evolves to Lilligant and it can sleep pokemon too.

Try using non-grass moves on your pokemon. Maybe you'll have to use common candies but that's our usual early-game struggle.

Good luck anyway!

• Like 1

Okey, I'm back at playing reborn and right now I got Tangrowth and I'm in my way to get the grassy jumpluff (bc the one I had didn't had grassy field so I had to catch another). Leavanny's sticky web doesn't seem a bad choice. Also, Ancient Power is a rock type move I got on tangrowth who seems made to end Yanmega? I hope 😂
From what I know, Shiinotic/Morelull (the scary mushrooms) are not available since they're in the cave that requires rock smash, so... But thanks!

I do have some recommendations for you for pokemon! If you can get one through trading, I'd recommend a Snover which will help immensely against those pesky bug types, but also double so against flying types which can help later on with Ciel (the bane of my existence). Shiinotic is an interesting pokemon with the fairy typing! Another great grass that could help with bug type is Cradily for the rock typing. That will help against fire, flying, ice, and bug! Ferrothorn is great for being a wall and setting up leech seeds. The last pokemon that I think could be useful would be a Poison Healing Breloom with Spore!

Edited by jbastian1

On 12/30/2018 at 5:07 AM, kithas said:

From what I know, Shiinotic/Morelull (the scary mushrooms) are not available since they're in the cave that requires rock smash, so... But thanks!

They can be found in the caves where you rescue the police officers. You know, in the forest before the last Pulse Tangrowth.

7 hours ago, jbastian1 said:

I do have some recommendations for you for pokemon! If you can get one through trading, I'd recommend a Snover which will help immensely against those pesky bug types, but also double so against flying types which can help later on with Ciel (the bane of my existence). Shiinotic is an interesting pokemon with the fairy typing! Another great grass that could help with bug type is Cradily for the rock typing. That will help against fire, flying, ice, and bug! Ferrothorn is great for being a wall and setting up leech seeds. The last pokemon that I think could be useful would be a Poison Healing Breloom with Spore!

Thanks! I'm sticking to the ones I can find on the game so for now, no snover, no ferrothorn and no shroomish 😞 

The good news is, I was finally able to get through Shelly! Thanks to the great help of Jumpluff, his Grassy Terrain and Acrobatics saved the day. 😄 

Now I've advanced past the Orphanage quest and I'm back at the questioning... Should I add Harvest!Tropius or Nuzleaf to the team?

To sum up, now my team is about: Roselia (37, looking for a Shiny stone), Venusaur (Also 37), Fire/Grass!Carnivine from the alternate form, and Gourgeist

I have also rotating Leavanny, Ludicolo, Jumpluff, Shiinotic, and those Nuzleaf and Tropius. And I have no Idea which should I add to my main team or which is worth training. Any help would be welcomed!

(*) I'm also looking to get to the museum to get a Lileep/Cradily but it seems like a long way

Gotcha, I haven't done any trading with my play throughs either, not that I am opposed to do so, but I only recently updated the game. That being said, the pokemon I referenced can certainly be caught and added to the team later on and I definitely think you should keep them in mind moving forward. 

Harvest is an insanely useful ability in this game as berries are not the most common thing early on. I personally love Tropius, the typing is useful and his defenses are spread fairly balanced. Also, you will be coming up to an area where a flying type pokemon will be quite useful with combating fighting types... 

The museum honestly is not terribly far away! You are actually quite close now that you have beaten the orphanage. It is still a little bit away but honestly, you will make it there soon so Lileep/Cradily can definitely be added in soon. 

Of the pokemon you mentioned in rotation, Ludicolo is the one I would recommend always keeping on your main team. Pulling off a rain dance with a Swift Swim Ludicolo will guarantee him to outspeed his opponent. Having a solid water type on the team is a necessity and it will come in handy pretty much throughout the entirety of the game. You could also run Rain Dish as the ability for added healing factor if the speed isnt that important to you, but I think Swift Swim is more helpful. Also something to consider here, but if you breed your Ludicolo and get yourself a Lotad, then train it to lvl 36 without evolving it, it will learn Energy Ball which is one of the best special grass type moves, although I am sure you have that covered on your team haha. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm a bit late to the party. But, for double battles, get a Parasect with Wide Guard.

Wide Guard is REALLY good in the scripted double battles because the mons they usually lead with like to use aoe moves. It reks Charlotte's Typhlosion.

It's an egg move that can be bred from an Araquanid. If you're using the popular mods you can learn egg moves with the move relearner.

Edited by Memedealer