[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Seeing the signs that the witch was nearly unconscious, and at this point being quite done with dealing with her constant dodging and lasers, Rory let out a frustrated groan as she tucked her gun lance between her legs and took careful aim at the witch. Or at least as careful aim as he normally has, as half a second latter the faunus rockets off, a jet of air propelling her forward, directly at the witch with her hand raised in a fist. "Hope you have dental insurance!" Is all the warning Marisa gets before an angry snake woman's fist collides with her jaw with a mighty thwack!

Marisa turned to the incoming Faunus with a look of exhausted confusion across her face. "What's dental insu-" she managed, before the fist collided with a loud pichuun in place of the perhaps-expected crunch of her nose breaking, and she was sent spinning head over heels toward the ground (still managing to hold onto her broom somehow.) The odd shadowy artifact she'd been holding also careened toward the ground, though it slowed before it hit and eventually came to rest just above it, levitating slightly above it. It wasn't long before the black-and-white witch hit the ground a few feet past it, digging out a comically long rut before finally coming to the rest at the base of a tree. "Oww, that really hurts, ze. . ." she groaned, sounding more than a bit out of sorts. 

Chen alighted nearby, but the bakeneko seemed to be giving whatever the object was a fair amount of space. "Well, that's the first one down! I bet Lady Yukari will want to take a look at that, but Lady Ran told me not to mess with anything weird the youkai exterminators dropped." She paced around the item, and jumped in surprise when it started to rotate to follow her, tails fluffing up - but then it simply continued upon its path, apparently just set into motion by a light breeze.

Lamba

As soon as the punch from Rory connected to the mage, Lambda immediately retracted her shields, holding the now fried and fairly close to passing out Walmond tighter as she floated down to the ground. If she could talk, she would've asked if he/she was alright, but for now, she just had to be content with protecting them until they could heal themselves.

... Actually, wait, there was someone who could help. Brushing off a bit of poppy leaves off of her face, an impressive feat given the fact that her hands had rather large claws on them, Lambda spun around, quickly locating Isobel and floating as fast as she could. Shortly after she got close, she rather abruptly lifted Walmond up, trying to convey that they needed some assistance from the fellow healer.

Walmond

There wasn't much Walmond could think about rather than pain on the entire side of her body, a result from a laser slipping through Lambda's defenses and scorching her with full force. Even if she could focus on patching herself up, it wouldn't be as effective right now, considering she was exhausted after her multiple large scale spells in a row. She'd have to figure out how to lower the energy usage from that spell, because god damn if she had to use it anymore she might just go into a coma.

Thankfully, she was still able to register when Lambda tried to hand her off to Isobel, letting out a small groan as she shifted into a sitting position, "Lambda, calm down. There's no need to worry, these wounds are superficial" she stated, before pushing herself off of Lambda so she could finally stand on her own, a first since they had arrived. It was at this point that it was clear that some of her clothing was oversized for her now, mostly since her cloak happened to be bundled up on the ground. That was a... Bit of a problem.

Rory blew off her fist with a smirk. It wasn't necessary to do so of course, the blow hadn't even hurt, thanks to his aura providing a shield and also her own body's semblance naturally hardening her to damage like that. After looking around a moment to see if everyone saw how cool that was, Rory dropped out of the air, landing in the classic superhero pose before standing to dust herself off and approach the witch. The faunus knelt just out of arms reach of Marisa as they tried to get a look at her face now. "So, what was that comment about taking our stuff?"

Empi floats over to the group, looking at Marisa, before looking back at the rest of the group. She looks more than a little unimpressed by Rory.

"You walk out of a Marvel movie or something? Well, nice job, anyway. Can't complain too much, considering you saved our asses, so I'll give that a six out of ten. As for her..."

Her gaze sets back on Marisa, suspicious, just in case she stood back up and started attacking again.

"The hell's her deal? We figure out why Sabrina the Monochrome Witch was trying to rail us like a freight train?"

"She does that to a lot of girls around here," Masako said offhandedly, hovering down now that the danmaku had finished flying.  "Though the gap hag is more the freight train railing sort, from my experience.   Not that trains are really relevant here.  They don't have anything to do with this, so far as I can tell."

The tengu flipped herself over, peering down at the witch's face.  She gave the black-white's cheeks a few none-too-gentle pokes, confirming that she was indeed alive (and awake, given her complaints), before flipping herself upright and landing on her feet beside Marisa's head.  "No, this time, I don't think it's entirely Kirisame's fault.  Only partly her fault, 'cause it was still her shooting at us.  No, my dear fairy, the true culprit is..."

Masako paused, settling one of her geta on Marisa's head to give herself a more dramatic perch.  She raised her pipe to her lips, closing her eyes and puffing on it with what she assumed was an air of mystery and insight.  One had to do these things properly, after all.  "Not a human at all.  Nor even, I suspect, a youkai of gensokyo!  The force that turned Marisa against us was, in fact..."

Masako's eyes snapped open.  The weird rock floated on by.  She stared at it.  Then continued staring at it as it floated on past Chen.

In a flash, the tengu yoinked off Marisa's hat.  She bolted past the feline familiar,  leaping on the magic rock of evil magic in the hopes of trapping it within the makeshift bag.

"Uhh, Reimu, that was a little. . ." The mage was evidently quite woozy, as evidenced by her lack of defense of her own headwear. Masako inadvertently proved an occasional hypothesis about Gensokyo false as she snatched the hat away and quite easily bagged the artifact, which didn't really seem to have too much of an issue being contained in the bag - though she could already feel the thing's sinister influence. "Look," Marisa began to slur, "I uh, promise I was jus' borrowin' . . ." She blinked a few times, shaking her head and seeming to become more aware of her surroundings. 

Masako obtained the Unidentified Magic Crest! 

A strange object seemingly made from pure shadow. It seems to exert a corruptive influence on ordinary people and supernatural beings alike, but finding the right person or the right spell might reveal more. . .

Masako scanned Marisa! Marisa may be added to the Bestiary.

For completing the encounter, the party gains 3 Crafting Tokens!

"Who- Hey, get your bird feet off my head! And gimme back my hat, ze." A sinister magical whine sounded from below Masako, before a much less sinister groan of disoriented pain signaled its cessation. "I promise, whatever ya think I did, ya didn't need to kidnap me and drag me into the middle of the forest to beat me up. Oww. . ." She halfheartedly waved a hand at the tengu, attempting to get her to perch elsewhere before using the same hand to rub at her aching skull. "I don't even know any of ya, well except the tengu kinda, when would I have been able to take yer stuff?"

Rory sighs but nods at Marisa's statement before turning to the large fairy. "Well, there you go. It's the stone, that's how it works in the movies and stuff right?" He turns back to Marisa with a smile. "Well uh... what kind of name is "Marisa"... your rock there was probably evil if I had to hazard a guess. Most likely it brain washed you and made you evil for a bit, given you were a right bitch a moment ago. That said, you did attack us and my friends aren't as forgiving as me I'd imagine." Rory points a thumb towards Empi and Isobel. Not really the scariest people there but Marisa obviously doesn't remember the fight and she didn't need to know that.

Empi looks almost dumbfounded that they were being accused of kidnapping the girl who, not long ago, had almost railed Empi in a way she wasn't down for.

"Kidnap you? You almost turned the whole damn forest into the second worst light show I've ever seen trying to kill us! Where'd you even get that thing anyway, some abandoned temple with like a million skeletons and a warning telling you to go away outside the door?"

"What the others said - there was no kidnapping, we just ran into you and you attacked. A lot, you made a lot of bullets... but yeah, where did you get the thing that Masako put in your hat? Until you dropped it, you were aggressive... Oh, and I'm Hikari, sorry for not introducing myself." 

Rory took a moment to think. Clearly this girl is a witch, which means that she should have experience with safely dealing with cursed objects right? So it doesn't make sense for her to have just grabbed it without any precautions, which means that there must be something else. "Wait, I don't think that SHE is the one that found it. I mean look at her, that thing was clearly cursed or something and she's definitely a witch. So it makes no sense for her to just grab it without thinking it was safe... Therefore, I think someone tricked her into taking it... And the uh... purple chick. The one that threw us around a lot. Anyway, if she knows we're from another world and can take us here, someone from another world can obviously bring themselves here to raise hell. So it's probably that."

"Sorry, no can do.  It's not a hat, now." Masako hopped back to stand beside the fallen witch.  Smug as the tengu's grin was, she at least opted not to use her most recent suspect as a perch.  For now.  "It's a bag.  An evidence bag.  An evidence bag with evidence in it.  Which, given the ongoing investigation, means it can only be trusted to the hands of Gensoyko's finest detective-"

The chattery sleuth paused for a moment, glancing down to make sure the stone was still secure in its temporary container.  She snapped it shut soon enough.  Even looking at it or holding it like this was enough to make her feel a little... off.  "But I can consider returning it to you if you answer our questions.  You know, later.  After we've finished our investigation, 'cause I'll need it 'til then."

Edited by Lucky Lulu

Isobel gave Rory a little bit of a disapproving look at his (well, her, right now) bizarre attempt at intimidation — she had to imagine that she didn’t LOOK terribly intimidating, but she did have an axe she guessed... but anyway, she didn’t really WANT to be the intimidating person. ”Er... don’t mind her, please. Others of us, like this fairy and I, have been dealing with these corruptive creatures between worlds called Trespassers for a while now. It may be a bit much to believe, but things will probably become clearer soon enough.”

The foot-tall fairy peeking out from Isobel’s pocket chimed in then. ”We have already dealt with entities with the power to alter other entities into corrupted forms against their will — it is of note that previous corrupted entities we found were only uncorrupted through... heavy application of light or divine magic, I will say. This does mark a departure, in that respect, and is thus worth examining more closely. What is the last thing you remember?”

"Do we not have any other containment vessels for the artifact? I'm not entirely convinced the hat is the best means of containment," Ritsu remarks to Masako, back in her proper maid outfit. "Or is there no decent way to transfer it to a better storage unit?"

"Give me a break. . ." Marisa seemed to largely brush off Rory's threat as she unsteadily rose to her feet, still holding one hand to her head. "I was just mindin' my business, rummagin' around for stuff in the Forest of Magic when I found this thing. It felt magical so - I said gimme back my hat!" The blond witch snatched at Masako, surprisingly dextrous for someone as woozy-looking as she was. " - So I figured I'd boot it up and see what it did, ze. Then I wake up to birdbrain standin' on my head and people yellin' at me like I stole their babies or somethin'." She rolled her shoulders a little, wincing. with the motion. "If ya gotta carry that thing around, you can do better than my favorite hat. You got Chen with ya, ask the gap hag to do it. 'Course, it was probably her idea of a joke." Marisa muttered something irritable under her breath about. . . seventeen-year-olds? 

Chen, for her part, seemed to be staring off into the distance, eyes focused on nothing in particular and ears perked as if she were listening intently for something. 

Walmond

Taking a quick second to brush herself off, Walmond turned and walked up to where the rest of the group was. Specifically, around the magician that was just trying to kill them barely a minute prior. For a second, he was a bit confused as to the conversation they were having... Until he connected the 'relic' Marisa had held and her hat. Specifically, that the hat was being used as a bag.

... Not the best sort of containment, but unfortunately, he lacked the necessary tools to fashion one himself. That, and he wasn't sure handling it himself was the best idea, considering how it appeared to effect Marisa.

Lambda, on the other hand, had worriedly watched Walmond walk off, before floating off behind him. At least until a quick glance, originally made to make sure everything was still safe, caused her to notice Chen staring off into the distance at... Nothing, even when Lambda followed her gaze. However, taking a look at Chen's ears, Lambda could tell that there was something off, if she hadn't gotten the feeling from the stare.

So, as with any scenario, Lambda quickly moved behind Walmond, her back facing her master's, eyes scanning the trees in case anything burst out and attacked.

Empi's eyes follow Walmond, Rory and Chen. She wasn't a soldier (she wasn't a doctor either but at least she knew first aid, she wasn't some animal), but she knew something was up. Something was always up in the movies when one guy from the group started looking off into the horizon, and Empi was betting fifty-fifty either Chen was about to whip out a Glock and light up the group or one of those Xenomorphs was going to burst out the bush and stuff its alien wing-wong down someone's throat.

"When you were "minding your business" and picking up whatever the hell that stone was," Empi states with air quotes to emphasise the fact she wasn't quite convinced by this complete kleptomaniac.  "You didn't see anyone or anything else around, did you? No eldritch beings right outta Lovecraft, nothing outta some shitty wannabe horror director's wet dreams?"

Isobel sighed as the lot of them faffed about with the thief witch's hat, and opened a green bag hanging off of her waist. It took a few moments for her to get it ready, as she had to carefully transfer a few brightly multicolored poppy flowers to her pockets and then pack down some internal dividers, but eventually she walked up to the group with Marisa in it and presented the bag. "Here, take this. It isn't made for this, but we might as well get the damn thing put in a bag, at least. I admit that the idea of carrying something like this in my bag is worrying, but it's better than you guys literally trying to use a hat."

Meanwhile, LOTUS found herself more contemplative -- she didn't have the instincts to make a thinking motion, but her thought was clear on her face. "This may indeed be some sort of corruptive artifact similar to how the Grail in the world of Asterlux and Shienar functioned, then. I would recommend being extremely careful with it, because we as of yet know very little of what it is capable of -- even if it a Trespasser-influenced artifact, note that we already know its capabilities are at least somewhat different than that of the artifact in the Asterlux world. The former at least could change the physical form of what it affected, while this artifact did not seem to exhibit a significant ability to do so, and the former required essentially fatal divine or light magic in order to dispel, whereas this one simple required a little violence."

"Nope!"  Masako yoinked the hat back at the last moment, inadvertently bonking herself with the stone in the crown.  She did her best to ignore this and pretend no one else noticed as she hopped a few feet further back, beyond the witch's grasp.  "I'm afraid not.  As I said, it's evidence-adjacent, and thus mine until the case is resolved.  I'll give it back when I don't have a use for it anymore.  Still-"

The tengu snatched the proffered bag from Isobel, not bothering with more than the most perfunctory nods of thanks... and proceeded to stuff the whole darn hat in there before zipping it on up.  "Redundant containers are always a good idea, probably, so this should be helpful.  Now we just need to decide who to take it to for analysis, so we can figure out who we need to beat up next to continue the investigation.  Normally I'd do it on my own, but these magical trinkets are so far beneath my deductive skills that it's hardly interesting enough to bother."

That sounded very much like a lie.  Though given the bird detective's lofty expression, she'd probably ignore being called out on it anyway.

Marisa tilted her head at Empi, doing her best to tolerate the tengu's antics involving her hat while her headache cleared. "Well, of course I saw some of 'em, it was drinkin' night yesteday, ze. What do they have to do with anything? I mean, most of 'em went home before I found it, so I guess I didn't see 'em right as I grabbed it. Plus if I told you where they were at, you'd probably go exterminate them or somethin'. Not that I mind a good extermination once in a while, but it's a bit rude to beat up random youkai because ya found something weird in the woods, ze."

Chen just shushed Hikari as her ears twitched a few more times, before she nodded at some unseen person. She turned to Isobel and clapped her hands together. "Okay, Lady Ran said that Lady Yukari told her to say that you need to seal these things really carefully because they're, like, from Outside. Um, outside Outside. Like the moon, except even further away and with less rabbits. All you need to do is. . ." Chen then proceeded to rattle off a mindbendingly complicated series of instructions, with some babble vaguely recognizable as Taoist terminology, if Taoist scripts had been written by somebody with degrees in both tax law and quantum physics. Blessedly, about halfway through the "explanation," Marisa waved her hands in Chen's face until she sputtered to a halt.

"Calm down a little, there. First off, ya got the wrong one. Second, yer makin' that sound way more complicated than it has to. I think. Probably. Doesn't matter. I got the gist of what you gotta do with the seal to make it work right, since I guess that old ha-" A clod of dirt struck Marisa in the face, prompting her to aim (and whiff) a kick at Chen before continuing. "-Lady Yukari is too lazy to come and seal it herself, ze. But whatever, I can get it done, 'cept for the parts where I need magic that's actually from another world. I'm assumin' that you guys are supposed to provide that. Actually, since ya were kind enough to beat the stuffing out of me, you can set it up yerself while I nurse my bruises." She huffed irritably at that. "And then you can gimme my hat back. Ya know that thing amplifies magic, right? It's just gonna make whatever gribbly thing it does worse if ya keep it in there, birdbrain." 

Rory reaches into one of her pockets, now that sense of danger has been dispelled, and pulls out a metal canister colored red. "I got this stuff. Should work for your purpose right?" Too demonstrate he dumps some of the contents, a red dust, into his palm and with a slight look of concentration it bursts into flame.

Walmond

While for most, the instructions Chen was hard to decipher and made almost no sense, Walmond was actually able to get a good portion of it down. Some parts flew above her head, but for the most part, she could nod in response. At least, until Marisa interrupted, offering a much simpler solution to the problem, which inadvertently caused Walmond to sigh, "I can handle the seal, and your wounds. Masako, can you hand the artifact to Lambda while I tend to the girl?" Walmond asked, gesturing to her robot companion, who immediately floated away from Chen, having found the source of her worry being completely misaimed, and towards the Tengu, "Chen, can you repeat the instructions for me? I was able to understand most of it, and can fill the gaps if I need to."

After that, Walmond would approach Marisa, lifting her hand out of the cover of her cloak, revealing green magic swirling around her glove. Walmond shall attempt to use a focused Healing Field spell on Marisa, if only to help "nurse her bruises".

"Precisely!" said the bird, who hadn't actually been aware of that.  She wasn't entirely sure if it was true, either, though she wasn't really bothering to check right now.  She was too busy puffing on her pipe and musing to herself, by this point.  "Hmm.  Then I would have gotten to see what it could really do in a properly controlled environment, of course.  After all, even if this sort of thing isn't normally worth my time, if we gave it a boost..."

Masako waved the bag containing the rock around, ignoring Walmond's perfectly reasonable request.  "Well, perhaps THEN I could think of something to do with it during the investigation.  And after!  In fact, ignore the gap hag--I can seal it myself later, probably.  If I should decide that doing so would actually be beneficial to the case.  It did look like it had some power, after all, and clearly a tengu would make a better wielder of it than some human witch.  Especially someone as brilliant as I, Chichimura Masako, finest detective in Gensokyo-"

Might be going to her head a bit.  Probably not a great plan to let her keep holding on to that.

Edited by Lucky Lulu