Fire Emblem On Forums: Mortal Transgressions (IC)

RedMageCole

XT3ACY9.png

Baldur has this odd feeling like they're being watched, but is confident enough to pay it no mind. The butler nods along as the Thief confesses all he knows,  "Hmmmm, I see. Looks like we'll need to ask Albert about what exactly they have that 'Belongs to Gul'." He speak the the red head mage before turning his attention back towards the thief,  "Well, from what I know of Snowbird she'll be here any moment now. However, if we do see her we'll let her know right away. Oh, and by the way, make sure to put the bottles you took back. I didn't save your life just so you could go swiping again." He sighs turning back towards Crimson once more,  "Lets go find Albert, he should still be roaming the halls somewhere."

The thief seemed satisfied, until Baldur chastised him. He groaned as he pulled the bottles out from under his cape and put them back on the table.

5UvvCnw.png

"Give me a break, it's hard to kick habits... and by hard I mean damn near impossible."

Arthur seemed satisfied with that, even if he looked rather skeptical of the thief being... well, a thief.

8iEEqWS.png

"Alright."

Arthur followed along, hoping they'd find Albert rather quickly. Albert patrolled the hallways looking deep in thought and feeling rather anxious, barely even noticing the two as they walked by.

XT3ACY9.png

"Sir Albert, if we could bother you for a moment there are some questions I would ask of you regarding the assassination. I know everything is rather sudden for everyone, but it is imperative that one must remain diligent especially in times like these." Baldur spoke to the knight. Without giving him a chance to respond he continued,  "First of all how was the state of the King's room when you entered it? Any open windows with prime shooting locations? I'm referring to other balconies or rooftops. Second, how was the king's body? I know he was shot with an arrow, but if my suspicions are correct there should have been a noticeable amount of poison on the arrow and in his body. Lastly, from what info we gathered from the thief we learned that Gul's involvement in this raid was to secure 'something that belonged to Gul'. Would you by chance know of an item such at this?"

Albert looked a bit shocked, giving a short gasp as he was broken out of his stupor so suddenly. The more Baldur talked, the more apparent it looked on Albert's face that he just wanted to get back to patrolling, giving a troubled look as his eyes started darting around the hallway. When Baldur finished, Albert tried to talk quickly.

E1B5WBj.png

"It... It didn't look touched. Window was closed and so was the door. Window has a long fall from it, it's not an ideal escape route... and yes, King... King Tobias was found with poison from the arrow... a-and I don't know what item they were referring to... may I please resume patrolling, now?"

During his walk Shin silently moves through the corridors, taking looks at the walls and how grand the place looks compared to first glance, eventually slowing into a daydream like stance. Upon Lenore elbowing him, he immediately juts into attention.
xgSBIsX.png
"A-ah..! Mink.. hello."
He loosens up a little.

xgSBIsX.png
"No worries.. I'm okay, it's just that-"
His eyes wander around for a while before he continues.

ezACjoP.png
"Well, I... don't think there's much I can really.. do.. t-to help I mean. So.. I'm just looking around to get out of everyone's way.."
After a brief pause, Shin points towards the bread in Lenore's hand and asks:

RwH5oOl.png
"Also.. u-um, Mink.. is.. is that for me?"

XT3ACY9.png

"I see..." Hmmmm, well that was extremely unhelpful. Well, at least he confirmed his suspicions so thats something.  "Well, I don't see any paths forward at the moment... Unless we go into queen Stella's room but that is out of the question. No matter, this should suffice for now." He nodded while holding his hand to his chin before placing his hand on the shoulder of the knight,  "Oh, and Albert, from one servant to another I express my deepest condolences for what has befell the king. However, you must not give into despair. Think of those you still have left to serve, to protect. The queen needs you now more than ever and it is our duty to be a stout pillar for our masters to lean on. Do not... fail in this duty like I have..."  

eleanor-mug.png
"No, it's for your imaginary friend Count Olaf Gundersson. Yes, of course it's for you, Ficus. Do you see anyone else here?"
eleanor-mouth-open.png
"And yeah, I feel you. I wasn't exactly cut out for royal intrigue either. Most intrigue I ever got into was that time I bluffed a cardinal into thinking I was this hot wife of a count he wanted to sleep with."
eleanor-mug-eyes-closed-mouth-open.png

"Stupid idea. I got too careless. Young, foolish, too many mistakes were made."
eleanor-mug.png
"But, well, no point letting you wander around like a lost puppy."

Shin almost turned around to see if anyone else was there, but didn't (thankfully).

RwH5oOl.png
"Ah.. yeah I suppose that was a silly question.. u-um, thank you.. though."

He could only then listen in both confusion and awe at Lenore's sudden story.

xgSBIsX.png
"That does sound like.. an unpleasant mess.."
CEFxrLl.png
"-But it sounds like you've been on lots of adventures, Mink.. like you've done all sorts of different things. That's really cool -- I-I don't think I'd ever be able to pull any of that off like you can-"

ezACjoP.png
"..W-wait, what was that last bit?"

eleanor-mug.png
"Well, of course I've got experience. Phoenix didn't hire me just for my good looks, Ficus. It's why I thought you could handle protecting the boss; Phoenix is a little too idealistic for my tastes sometimes, but he knows how to pick 'em. If he picked you, he saw something he could make use of."
eleanor-mouth-open.png
"As for those stories? One of the tricks in my toolbox is....confidence, really. You can be the most experienced thief in the world and have all the best tools and a merry band of rogues, but if you choke before you get your hands on a take and panic, they'll have your hands in irons before the day's out."

Shin looks at the ground near his feet as Lenore speaks.. in thought about her words.

FdBwyuh.png
"It's why you thought.. that.."

A small while passes, and Shin then turns to look back up at Lenore.

1xs7qUg.png
"..Confidence.. I-It's hard for me to imagine what having that feels like.. I mean, I don't know what even is there to see in me." He says as his hand grasps his chest.

eleanor-mouth-open.png
"You'll get there. Some guys, they fake it 'till they make it. Others, they find the one thing they know how to do, and they do that, and everything else they do is defined in relation to it. Point is, it's hard to get that ball rolling, but once you roll it, you can't stop it."

Justine, for once, was quiet, pacing back and forth. This was normally a time where she would find pen and paper, but for now she had no place to write and feel secure in doing so. Part of her yearned to go to Stella and comfort her, but it might be. . . untoward. She felt guilty about what had gone through her head after hearing that her king was dead. It was indecent, to even briefly think of it as an opportunity. Lost in thoughts as she was, it took a moment to process that Reiko had asked a question. 

iPVM2Mj.png

"..huh? Oh. I'm not certain. Phoenix will have a plan, I'm sure." She considered the question for a moment. "We are trying to prevent outright war. The first thing to do would be to find out Gul's motivations for this, but the second would be to watch for the vultures. The scavengers that will benefit should conflict break out. The true blame may lie with them."

Though Albert looked troubled, he did listen to Baldur particularly well once his shoulder was patted. He nodded at the end of his talk.

E1B5WBj.png

"...very well. Thank you."

He continued walking through the corridors, and Arthur took a deep breath as he continued with Baldur.

8iEEqWS.png

"...Any more leads, then? Once more, we're not talking to Stella until she's ready."

RwH5oOl.png
"I see... I'll try to remember that.."
Shin mutters, while Lenore's words still ring in his head. He stands there for a good while, before speaking up again.

FdBwyuh.png
"Hey.. Mink.." 

ezACjoP.png
"..Do you have a.. reason why you fight..? Why you do the things you do..? Any goal you want to reach..?"

eleanor-mouth-open.png
"You want an honest reason? Well, I'll give you two. One, I got sick of watching scumbags up in their ivory towers, hogging all the wealth and thinking they could do what they wanted to us in Perus while the rest of us had to go live off their scraps like dogs. So, I.....balanced the scales, so to speak. Took from the scumbags, humiliated them and gave their gains to the poor. With a little finders' fee, of course; a girl's gotta eat too."

eleanor-mug.png
"Two, because I'm good at it."

FdBwyuh.png
Shin nods. "It's a noble reason.. more importantly it's.. something. But for me.."

ezACjoP.png
"I.. don't have.. I don't even know any past to give any reason to it. ..I haven't been here for long at all, really.. but"

1xs7qUg.png
"It's just, what am I really.. doing around here.. and all that, you know..?

XT3ACY9.png

"Without actually checking out Queen Stella's room there are no other leads at this moment." The butler said more than a little disappointed,  "However, even if we did go to her room I doubt they'd have left anything major behind. Nevertheless I have come to certain conclusions about our assailants." Baldur makes sure to check his surroundings before continuing on,  "Tell me, have you heard the tragedy of King Cyrus of Vini?"

Arthur paused.

8iEEqWS.png

"...Well duh, I am the Pri-... yes, I know about what happened to King Cyrus. Which means this is obviously not an isolated incident, the methods of murder were the exact same, and the suspects fit the four that the thief described. Someone obviously wants some of the kings dead. The question is why there was such a large gap in time frame between the murders, why exactly they're doing it...

252SZmr.png

"...and why they haven't targeted Ruslan, for fucks sake..."

8iEEqWS.png

"...But we should probably tell that to the rest of the team. No sense in keeping secrets, especially if we might meet those assholes later on. This isn't a coincidence; how many royalty-killing bands of four with the leader being an expert marksman can there be on this continent?"

Mim had managed to hide in a storage closet before Crimson and Baldur had come out of the infirmary, thankful that for once her height was a blessing not an annoyance. It wouldn't have done for them to find out that she was spying on them after all. Still, it had all been interesting enough. And more importantly, she'd overheard that she was needed. Slipping out of the closet after she was sure that there was no chance the two of them were still hanging around, she made her way into the infirmary with a smile.

LNPvo8P.png

"Well hello there! I heard that you might need a bit of help still?"

She pulled out a few ingredients from her backpack, as well as grabbing a few supplies from the stock in the infirmary, before grinding them all together, resulting in a paste that she diluted with fresh water from a water skin attached to the side of her pack.

"Here, this should take the edge off any pain you might still have. Though really, you should have asked Orchid when he was in here to give you another dose from his staff. My potions are good, but they're best at bringing someone back from the brink. As much as I hate to admit that someone is better than me, his healing does work better for things like this. Any reason you didn't ask? Besides the grilling I'm sure he gave you, I mean. Hopefully you told him everything that we need to know about what's going on?"

FdBwyuh.png
"I don't know.. with not even any memories to live off of, all I end up doing is just rolling by--watching each day go by with no real.. goal.

"..Aside from not dying, I guess."

ezACjoP.png
Shin places his hand on his chin. "I can't help but wonder if all this is really.. right."

The thief was caught in the middle of putting back the medication bottles, and thankfully finished by the time Mim had come over.

5UvvCnw.png

"Dang, that was fast... but yeah, thanks."

The thief watched as Mim mixed the potion, and he graciously took and drank it without hesitation. Once he had taken a short drink and finished listening to Mim, he looked considerably in more of a mood to talk.

5UvvCnw.png

"Yeah, I suppose another staff dose wouldn't have hurt... but the guy seemed like he was in kind of a rush. Seemed like he was onto somethin' with my info... not like I had that much, though. I really only had a brief description of who King Tobias' murderers were, barely enough to go on minus being a group of four with the leader having green hair. Thanks for this, by the way, it's really helpin'."

apF9o6Q.png

"We'll likely have to do some convincing if we want to avoid war at this juncture. I mean, their king was just assassinated by agents of Gul; the way most would see it, war is already at their doorsteps." She pauses for a few moments, thinking about the implications of one of Justine's statements, before continuing. "Unless...you mean to suggest that they were simply agent provocatuers? Unaligned with Gul, but simply trying to cause a war?"