Fire Emblem On Forums: Mortal Transgressions (IC)

RedMageCole

Arthur looks mildly annoyed at Lenore's comment.

pf7fxvU.png

"Oh, whatever, I'm not the damn prince anymore, I refuse to give that bastard the satisfaction of having an heir-"

He stops himself short as it's apparent his swearing only serves to make Stella giggle. With a huff, he leans against the wall, no longer nearly hitting his head on it.

RDUhDVk.png

"Hehe... If that's the case, though... then it's good to know that... I'm not alone. I want to make the world a better place... and it's reassuring to know that. Arthur may not sound like it, but he wants to change the world too..."

Arthur doesn't comment.

---

E1B5WBj.png

"Yes, life can be interesting in that way... I personally was not sure myself if we should be going here, especially just on Prince Arthur's word, but Queen Stella insisted. Urgh, it was frustrating... I told her I wouldn't go on basically no information at all and I would not allow her to risk her life, but then she pouted at me and looked like she was about to use her favorite form of guilt trip on me. I tell you, normally I don't stand for that sort of thing, but Queen Stella just manages to tug at my heartstrings, especially since she sometimes even starts crying, it's sometimes a little ridiculous how much I'll listen, but that's just my duty..."

---

Kane looks... rather shocked at what Ferdiad says. His expression looks more soft, but still concerned. Mostly for Ferdiad's wellbeing.

tfGgoct.png

"I'm not going to accept the queen's offer unless I know I have you... if it weren't for you, I would never have gotten the confidence to get this group kicked off of the ground. I won't leave you behind... if you feel uncomfortable with going, then we won't go. This may be the biggest break Virtuous has gotten and will ever get... but I'm not going to do it without you, Ferdiad. If there's any way I may be able to convince you, please let me know now, but if I can not persuade you... I won't do it."

Shin walks by, completely oblivious to the fact that it's the QUEEN right in front of him. I guess having amnesia does that to you.

gFFAq8G.png
"..O-oh wow..! You have a castle!? T-That's really cool..!"

Shin casually waves a greeting to Stella.

CEFxrLl.png
"A-ah.. um.. my name is Sh -uh.. Ficus..?" He nervously reaches out for a friendly handshake. "I-it;s nice to meet you... um.. w-what's your name again..?"

Pirate_Half_unamused.png

"Ahaha, that must be hard on you. Queen Stella sounds like she might have a bit in common with someone I know in regards to getting what they want. Heck, it even reminds me of some stunts I pulled in the past when I was starting out as a merchant," Fey pauses a bit to recall her earlier days as a merchant and the incidents she caused. "Well either way, she probably figures that if you're along with her, nothing too bad will happen, so at least take comfort in that."

Justine was having her own issues staying composed, but the root cause was rather far removed from those of the others. The queen was, quite frankly, adorable, and having her come all this way to offer her support to Virtuous despite the myriad risks involved set her heart positively a-flutter. And then to discover that Arthur was a prince of some kind? It almost felt like a story straight out of her old fairy tale books. 

faquppZ.png

"I can't express how happy that your wanting to help us makes me. It warms my heart to learn that the gracious queen is even kinder than the tales tell of her." She resisted the urge to add more to her praising of the woman; she didn't want to come off as too forward, after all, and Kane had asked her to tone it down for a bit. "The idea that a humble Minstrel such as myself would be working with someone so fair is mindblowing." 

Kane's words only appear to deepen Ferdiad's consternation, and he lets out a sigh louder and deeper than he'd intended, trying to dispel the horrible energy building up inside him. "This is not about my comfort."

He pauses, deliberating how much to say. When he eventually speaks again, his voice is clearer: still quiet, but with a hardness in it that the others have never heard from such a mild-mannered man. It becomes immediately evident that Ferdiad's previous knighthood was not simply a title, but a mark of character as well.

ferdiad_casual_frown_talking.png

"... I told you three months ago that I had committed a grave sin. In truth... I am not permitted inside Ceda's borders. Even being here is a risk, but the crown city is out of the question. Her Majesty knows me very well. I doubt I would be able to maintain a disguise indefinitely around her with just a simple mask. And my countrymen, too. It is not just robbery or trafficking goods I am wanted for, or even manslaughter. My crime cannot be absolved. The risk of me being discovered is too great, and my presence would jeopardize Virtuous' chances far too much. You would immediately lose any support Ceda would give, were it known I am amongst your ranks. Please understand: it is in your best interest to leave me behind this time."

XT3ACY9.png

Baldur pats Crimson on the shoulder, he had heard the stories about Stella but he always thought they were a bit far fetched.  "Should I get a pot of tea ready? It'll be chamomile like last time."  He paused and looked at Stella,  "If you want my opinion, I would be alright with taking her Majesty on her offer. The queen is one of the few who is still good in this world and one who I can still have some modicum of trust." He glance then turns to Albert,  "As one servant to another, you have my word that should we go to the castle I will do all in my power to keep her Majesty life safe. If... that at all eases some concerns."

His glare then turned to Shin,  "FISCUS! You are in the presence of the QUEEN! At least show some modicum of respect for her Majesty! Know your place!"

Mim had quietly hidden herself well behind Simeon before the door was opened. Truth be told, all of this was a bit too much for her. It was bad enough Crimson was a prince, no matter what he said about abandoning that life. But now he had a queen that cared enough about him to follow him out here? To offer to protect them? She couldn't handle this anymore. The light and easy relationship she'd had with Crimson... Well. It was pretty clear that wouldn't be able to continue. Not if they were joining up with royalty. No matter what the queen said about him fawning. She needed to get out. Get some fresh air.

But not past the queen... She'd seen Kane duck back into the kitchen. She could get out that way and let him know what was going on. Two birds with one stone. She slipped behind everyone, keeping out of sight as best as possible, not wanting to attract attention. She slid into the kitchen just in time to hear Ferdy's confession. 

"O-oh. I... I'm sorry! I shouldn't have come in here. I just needed to get away from all of that. It was bad enough when Crimson was my prince, now he's bringing a queen here and I can't... I just needed fresh air, you know? I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I promise I won't tell anyone. I'll forget it, I swear!"

She knew she was quietly babbling, some part of her brain in enough control to keep her voice quiet enough the others in the main room couldn't hear. But still. How stupid was she? Of course Kane was coming back here to have a private conversation. She shrunk slightly, waiting for the expected outburst of anger.

Albert looks a bit more in high spirits. Seems Fey might have won him over just a little bit.

E1B5WBj.png

"Yes, indeed! I may not be the best she's ever had, but I certainly do try!"

As that happens, Stella looks curiously at Shin with his responses.

RDUhDVk.png

"Mmm... Shuhficus...? That's a strange name... but it's nice to meet you... I do have a castle, it's nice..."

Stella doesn't really seem to get the gesture Shin does for a handshake or notice, especially when Justine speaks to her.

RDUhDVk.png

"Ah... and you're Minstrel... I'm happy to help, especially for a nice young lady... Arthur was right too, you are cute..."

pf7fxvU.png

"Okay, I never said that!"

RDUhDVk.png

"You don't think she's cute, Arthur...?"

xfq7jc1.png

"I- I never said that either!"

Another giggle after Stella finished teasing Arthur, her turning to Lenore.

RDUhDVk.png

"Not at all... there's something at my castle that I was hoping to show all of you, I didn't bring it since I'm... not exactly supposed to take it outside of the castle, it's too important to get stolen... but it's because of its exclusivity to me and the rulers of the other countries with knowledge of it not even being with the public... I want to show it to you all... to convince you all that... we can change the world for the better... if you want."

Stella looks rather pleased with Baldur's response, but her smile is replaced with discomfort as she covers her ears.

RDUhDVk.png

"Not so loud, please..."

Arthur sighs a bit.

tbNMOE8.png

"Thank you, but I'm fine without tea for now. But maybe later."

Albert nods in response to Baldur.

E1B5WBj.png

"Very well. As long as you promise... then I have no complaints."

Startled by Baldur's yelling, Shin turns to him.

gFFAq8G.png
"H-huh? S-shes the queen? But why would she- ..wait..-w-we had a queen!?" He says as he starts sweating profusely, and scratching his head trying to recall, well.. whatever he could about the subject.
He then interrupts himself and turns back to Stella and lowers his head.

KVm66jj.png
"I-I um.. I'm sorry. I.. um. I didn't know." Shin lowers his head further. "P-please don't throw me into prison, your ..um.. your.. umm- ..Mrs. Queen."

Edited by Shauntaro

Kane looks a bit crestfallen as his words seem to do nothing to help Ferdiad, so instead he just patiently listens. Then responds afterwards in a gentle tone, his concerned tone and face fading away and replacing with sympathy.

Pbz8cIA.png

"...I understand what you mean. Forgive me, it was tactless to act like it wasn't as important as it really was to you... but my point still stands. I won't accept the Queen's offer if you feel as if you can't go to the castle. If Queen Stella forbids you on her grounds... then I refuse to work with her, plain and simple. But..."

Before Kane can continue, Mim shows up. Kane looks mildly alarmed, but his softness has not disappeared.

2mBTdVm.png

"There's no worry at all, Snowbird. I was just having a short talk with Knight... but I understand the pressure you must be feeling. I must admit... while I'm trying my best to show it, it's really hard being the leader of one of the most well known crime groups... with a queen and a missing prince in your base. I can't blame you for needing fresh air. So please, feel free to stay if you need."

Turning back to Ferdiad, Kane continues to speak softly.

2mBTdVm.png

"I know you have great honor as a knight, so while I will offer to negotiate with the queen to take you out of exile, or at the very least, tolerate your presence while working with us, or she won't be seeing a single one of us work with her... but if you'd rather me not negotiate, which I understand,. we'll simply find our own way to improve this continent, and that's my final word, even if you may disagree. I am not leaving anyone behind for any queen or prince."

eleanor-mug.png 

"That's a....tempting offer, milady, but how do we know this isn't some sort of ruse? Are you willing to offer us any proof that what you're offering isn't a trap? I'm sure you understand our concerns; we're not exactly popular among most of the ruling class of the continent."

XT3ACY9.png

Baldur lets out a sigh. He really is hopeless isn't he. Forgetting things so quickly at that, it amazes him that the guy has made it this far,  "I doubt the queen will throw you into the dungeon for this, BUT others might. Just... make sure you learn manners to avoid something like that from happening, Fiscus. The last thing I want to be dealing with is a prison break for another member."

Mim's approach startles Ferdiad out of his sober demeanor, and he looks over at her with some apparent discomfort. It's not that he wants to keep secrets, but... this isn't something he truly wants aired out in the open, even amongst the other members. Of anyone in the world, he surmised that the people in Virtuous would understand that some things were better kept to oneself. He doesn't respond to Mim's apology, only looking away slightly, as though ashamed.

But Kane's words bring a bitter smile to his face. While he doesn't seem more relaxed, he appears to appreciate the expressed sentiment: every man or no man. It's a principle that rings in tune with those he holds near to his own heart.

Mollified somewhat by this, his tone softens again as he sighs.

"How to explain such a complex situation... it is not Her Majesty who would refuse my presence, but the other good people of Ceda, whose mentalities together hold more sway than any one monarch." He looks at Kane plaintively. "To know I am helping Virtuous... it would damage whatever reputation we would have in my country, and it would damage Her Majesty's as well. To be associated with me... is a curse, and I cannot bring that upon anyone again."

It wasn’t visible behind her mask, and she had been being silent for a while, but Lizaveta Medvedeva was fuming. Not only the Queen of Ceda was here, but the Prince of Ria? She had come all this way, all this way, to find the one group that she thought was capable of making the world a better place, and now it was already being hijacked by the royalty. Not even that, but the Queen of Ceda was trying to move them to their castle. And her guard, of course, had drawn his sword at them. She remained at a sort of brittle, tense breaking point for a while, until she heard the way Baldur was speaking to Shin — and, holding herself back from an explosion but with frustration and fury still audible in the way she was nearly grinding her teeth as she spoke, and from the tension in her voice:

lizavetaneutral.png

Maybe, if it would result in people like Shin “knowing their place”, maybe, if we would have to risk being thrown in the dungeon by somebody for lack of deference, maybe if we want to be a group that is there for the world, not just for Ceda, not just for its royalty, but people who seek to help every person in every corner of Purgus, then we shouldn’t be moving to the castle of one of the continent’s monarchs.

Lenore's tone of voice remained calm even as she was internally irritated with Lizaveta. She was okay with casting her lot in with criminals, but noblemen were beyond the pale? Not that Lenore particularly liked either group, being as she was a member of one and a predator of another.

Still, alienating a potential ally was something Lenore wasn't going to be happy with. Even if Lenore herself didn't quite trust this one.
eleanor-mug.png 

"Drop the rock, Scarlet. That's not your call. You want change, you're not going to get it by yelling at the first member of royalty you find. Otherwise we wouldn't be here trying to do it ourselves. You want the big win? You're going to have to take a few dives first. And Orchid, back off of Ficus. He's not stupid. He can handle himself."
Lenore refocuses on the Queen.
eleanor-mouth-open.png

"My comrade here does have a point, however. You're going to have to give us something concrete, a reason to believe what you have is worth taking. Why should we believe you? You could easily chuck us into prison and throw away the key the moment we get out of here and away from our safe location. And we're not exactly inclined to trust the monarchy on word alone."

Mim hesitated. She wasn't supposed to be in this conversation at all. But... She couldn't help herself. She flung herself into a hug with Ferdy, hugging him tight as best she could with their different stature.

YFaSgqV.png

"Hey, it's ok... You're not a curse. What's in the past is in the past. You've got to think better of yourself, ok? No one here is going to not want to associate with you. And if that Queen is any sort of good person, she'll support you too."

lizavetaneutral.png

First of all, Mink, I was talking to Orchid, mostly. But secondly, L— ergh, Mink, you aren’t in charge either. I think maybe you want to be, but you don’t get the right to shut me down and make a decision on your own either. We are a group, L, dammit, Mink, and that means that it isn’t just you who gets to say her piece. Why do you think you’re the one whose job it is to represent everybody here?

Lenore doesn't rise to the provocation. Lizaveta wasn't a fight worth fighting; she had her heart in the right place, and Lenore could respect what she wanted, but she needed to temper herself before she do something incredibly stupid (they both did).

She raises her hands and concedes, stepping back from Stella and from the group, her focus back on Lizaveta.
eleanor-mug.png 

"You're right, Scarlet. I'm sorry. I'm overreaching and you're right; we all need to say our piece. But....we need to stay calm. I'm trying to figure out if what we're being offered is worth the risk. I'm not trying to represent everyone here, but you all deserve to know what it is that we're being offered. I'm not going to reject her out of hand, but I'm not placing my head in her lap either. There's no point making a decision based on her word alone or what we feel about her or her promises about something we haven't seen; we need proof that it's worth our time or isn't, as the case may be, and then we can make our decision, as a group, based on everything we know.  Whatever axe you're grinding, whatever feelings you have towards her office, that's your business and I respect you for it, I sincerely do. But put it aside until we know what we're looking at, and then we can make that decision as a group. Are you okay with that?"

Kane mulls over what Ferdiad says. He didn't care much for the reputation of Virtuous as long as the whole country wasn't calling for their heads; in the end they were bound to have plenty of people against them, considering how without context, their missions could seem very... outlandish. Unfortunately, as a result of mulling things over, Kane does not overhear the behavior of his teammates in the living room.

Pbz8cIA.png

"Knight... No way would any part of you be a curse to us. You've been one of, if not the most invaluable member of Virtuous. Snowbird's right; if the Queen is willing to work with us, she can give you a chance. It's up to you though if you'd like me to appeal to her. We can't and won't go to Ceda Castle without you... it'd be wrong. Just tell me what you want to do... but know that I'll support any decision you make."

---

Meanwhile, in the living room, things were starting to get a little heated. Albert looks a bit on edge. Arthur looks just about ready to yell at someone, probably Lizaveta.

E1B5WBj.png

"Can you not behave yourselves!? I know you're all Virtuous, but it's disrespectful to argue this way in front of the Queen-"

Stella raises a hand to Albert, quieting him immediately. It takes her clearly a little bit of effort, but she stands up from the couch. She's short; just an inch taller than Mim's height, and yet she manages to have an imposing presence, especially now that her eyes seem open for once rather than constantly being drifting off. Even Arthur quiets down.

RDUhDVk.png

"None of you will be put in the dungeon under my watch, and none of you are obligated to take my offer, or even trust me if you do not want to. I understand; you are all wanted criminals across the continent, and I am queen of one of the seven countries demanding your arrest." She sounds fully attentive, but there's a hint of forcefulness to her tone. "But I ask that you give me a chance to support you all. If my reputation is not enough... then I'm afraid I have nothing. Nothing... except a sign of trust. To show you all that I mean what I say."

Without a moment's hesitation, Stella rolls up her right sleeve. Arthur gives a small gasp of shock that almost sounds scandalized, and Albert looks extremely confused. On Stella's shoulder is a small crest with a faint blue glow, in the outline of a bear's face.

E1B5WBj.png

"M-My lady, what's... what is that? Why have I never heard of this?"

RDUhDVk.png

"...This is... the royal crest of Ceda. The Mark of the Bear... or as we may refer to it in public if we must, based from our ancestral weapon... 'Sloth'. These are not crests to be proud of... they're a burden. Even the cruelest rulers know to keep it under wraps... A mark of shame that royalty bears upon their right shoulder, as proof that we are meant to rule for our own selfish gain, and nothing else. You may notice the faint glow as well... it's normally meant to shimmer much more brightly once you are ruler, but I could never figure out why mine never did. My husband's doesn't shimmer, but that's because he isn't a part of the bloodline, his crest is artificial... my mother's shimmered, but not mine, even when she passed away. These crests are never meant to be shown to anyone but other members of royalty... Arthur?"

With a small groan, Arthur turns away from the group and rolls up his own right sleeve, showing a similarly faintly glowing outline of a crest; this time, it glows a faint red in the outline of a horse's face.

2MTq7Bk.png

"...The Mark of the Horse... 'Wrath'."

Arthur immediately pulls his sleeve down after his explanation, continuing to look away from the group. Stella looks over everyone with gentle eyes, her tone growing softer.

RDUhDVk.png

"It's nothing material, nor solid proof of good intentions... but no royal would ever show their crest to someone they wouldn't trust with their lives. I... hope that's enough to show you all that... I believe in you all. You saved Arthur... I... I don't have anyone else to turn to. I... will be useless in trying to keep Purgus safe... and I would only be able to watch as every country flares up in war... and it'd be only inevitable for Ceda to become a casualty. Please... heed my words."

Not expecting the sudden hug, Ferdiad staggers slightly, then looks down with alarm at Mim clinging tightly to him.

"... I..."

Then he looks back up at Kane somewhat hopelessly, taking in his words and thinking about them. "This is not about my selfishness, either of you, nor anything to do with my views of myself. This is simply the truth of my situation... Her Majesty may not object, but the people of Ceda will. They will refuse to hear anything you have to say or offer, just upon hearing my name. Are you willing to jeopardize Virtuous', and Ceda's, chances of changing the world — our greatest goal — for the sake of one man?"

He casts his gaze down at the floor and heaves a heavy sigh.

"All the same... I..."

His voice grows very quiet, almost trembling, and he sounds like he might cry with the next murmured words:

ferdiad_casual_sadface.png

"... It's my home..."

He pauses for a long time and swallows hard, shoulders tense. Behind the mask, he closes his eyes, seeming to be fighting back some powerful emotion, and only opens them again a few long seconds later. "And you are all my allies. I cannot let you go in alone." 

All at once, it seems as if all the strength has been drained out of him. He looks suddenly extremely exhausted, and presses the heel of one hand to his forehead. "... I'm at a loss." He relents, with the helpless capitulation of someone who has lost the will to debate further. "I will... go along with you. There is nowhere else for me to go."

Mim hugged Ferdy tighter as his words grew sadder.

0uaZgUh.png

"It will be ok. You're part of the group, right? And... And I'm sure whatever caused all of this wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. You'll just have to show them what a hero you are and then they'll change their minds! It'll be ok, I promise!"

It took everything in Justine's power not to scream or faint on the spot from pure joy. Stella thought she was cute? And Arthur had been praising her as well. . . Her irritation with Baldur was completely forgotten; it was difficult to stay upset when it felt like her dreams were coming true. The conversation taking a more somber tone finally brought her back down to earth, though it was difficult to keep a slight lilt out of her voice nonetheless. 

faquppZ.png

"I don't speak for the group, of course, but my heart told me from the very beginning that we should trust you." She thought for a moment, considering what the queen had revealed, and what she had said about it. Some kind of mark of shame, cast upon the royal families of Purgus by the gods themselves, perhaps? "And maybe. . . maybe it's a good thing that the mark doesn't shine bright. If it's meant to brand you as a selfish tyrant, then perhaps your gentle rule and good intentions suppress its angry glow."

Lizaveta is opening her mouth again. Gods every time she does I feel like I'm loosing brain cells. But rather than stroke the flame he turns to Lenore and speaks,  "I only got on Shin to prevent careless actions like that in future. I know personally how fickle some nobles can be and a simple blunder like that could make all the difference in making a deal. Haveing due etiquette is an absolute nessessity. Not only that, but it can be seen as disrespectful. It's all for precautionary measures."

Then they revealed their markings to everyone. It was here that the butler was convicted of their sincerity.  "Your Majesty... it honors me that you would trust me with such a secret. It makes me relieved that there are rulers such as yourself still left in this world." Baldur bows to the queen as a sign of respect before turning back to the entire group,  "Mu vote goes to takeing the queen up on her offer."

2ikT3N2.png

Tabitha having kept quiet due to having a limited understanding of who most of these people are observes the scene. She ends up making her way close to Shin only to overhear his pleas of getting thrown in prison. "You're really THAT desperate to get thrown behind bars? I guess it wouldn't be too bad for you, you'd probably have a better quality of life than you do now..." She pauses and looks at him again dumbfounded, yet apologetic for slugging him earlier. "You look pretty beat up, if you want I can see if I can heal you during our next period of downtime." 

She turns her head away from him and goes back to trying to make out just the the hell is going on right now.