A dumb topic about Tobacco Use in fiction and my anxiety.

ShadeStrider

I sort of get anxious whenever a favorite character smokes tobacco.

Because of all the “cigarettes cause cancer” things, I often get anxious that Cancer will kill my favorite characters before their enemies ever get the chance.

At least with someone like Solid Snake,  He’s already dying of Accelerated Aging, let him Smoke all he wants. (Even though he quit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4).

But Revy from Black Lagoon? I can’t pretend that she has Magic or Nanomachines to protect her from Any disease.

Its dumb, Fiction isn’t real life (even if cigarettes drain health in every Metal Gear Solid game). But I still get that sense of anxiety.

1 hour ago, ShadeStrider said:

I sort of get anxious whenever a favorite character smokes tobacco.

Because of all the “cigarettes cause cancer” things, I often get anxious that Cancer will kill my favorite characters before their enemies ever get the chance.

At least with someone like Solid Snake,  He’s already dying of Accelerated Aging, let him Smoke all he wants. (Even though he quit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4).

But Revy from Black Lagoon? I can’t pretend that she has Magic or Nanomachines to protect her from Any disease.

Its dumb, Fiction isn’t real life (even if cigarettes drain health in every Metal Gear Solid game). But I still get that sense of anxiety.

One thing I would like to address here, to you my friend, is the fact that these fictional characters exist as a reminder to you that you aren't perfect. They're they. You're you, even though there might be little similarities in action and thought. Some inspire you, but all characters exist to remind you to make yourself closer to perfection every second. Don't allow everyone to enter the inner sanctum of your mind.

None of it is real and you really don't see characters die from cigs in stories. You'd die from where I came from as about every 1 in 5 people you came by is a smoker. That stuff smells nasty yet I don't mind it in storytelling.

Cigars are actually a form of tool for a few different things. A famed one is a setting in the olden days since it was common place. Another common one is simply to make the character more tough or bad to the bone. It's always the tough guys that smoke. I'm kind of bothered Charlotte lost her cigs in her sprites but what can you do. It's more of a stylistic choice to represent a character or setting over encouragement or onto the subject of smoking. Probably a very interesting research topic for a paper.

6 hours ago, BRS swag said:

One thing I would like to address here, to you my friend, is the fact that these fictional characters exist as a reminder to you that you aren't perfect. They're they. You're you, even though there might be little similarities in action and thought. Some inspire you, but all characters exist to remind you to make yourself closer to perfection every second. Don't allow everyone to enter the inner sanctum of your mind.

Fair enough.

Really shouldn’t get so obsessed about these people.

• Like 1