"I'll go to the bar too. Wouldn't be much of a point in splitting up if we all went the same way! And, well, I think I can handle a bar if anything goes wrong." Liliya didn't mention it, but she got the impression that Alexandria going to the bar alone might not go over as well as the robot seemed to think.

"Also, radio tower sounds good to me, we can meet up in like two hours over there."

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Umm, I can keep quiet I suppose. I don't think I'm very sneaky, though. Maybe I should just pretend to be a foreigner? I suppose I am one, but, you know, more foreign." She forced herself to stop before she began to truly ramble. "I do think we should probably start moving as soon as we can, though. I'd really rather be done with this as soon as possible. A healer isn't meant to be doing all of these cloak and dagger things. . ."

• 4 weeks later...

Friedhold, Reception Area

The rain seemed to swell as the two of you made your way to the cell tower, sending wafts of freshish air to chill your bones, and forcing the huddled masses aside, granting you a slight, but welcome reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the inner city. The two of you must have made a strange sight, even by the standards of this city, a small girl huddled up to a man she bore little resemblance to? 'Sedated kidnapping victim' was one of the nicer possibilities around these parts, and you caught the eye of one too many judgmental eyes every now and then. They were always watching, never seeming to do anything, but whisper, and imply something nasty as they huddled around their trashcan fires and sipped soykaf inside of buildings. 

That feeling of being watched remains when you arrived at the 'Reception Area', a patchwork assortment of tents and hastily built corrugated plastic homes centered around a towering metal structure, one you were here to disable, if not destroy. At this distance you could just barely spot fences and barbed wire in between it all, seemingly a cursory attempt at keeping the riff raff at bay, preventing the people working there from being bothered too much by their presence, as they huddled in the warm looking brick that passed for an office around these parts.

You get the feeling that anything you do around here would require you to...deal with the SINless somehow, even just moving closer might raise a question or two, judging by  the way some 'concerned citizens' seem to be moving towards you already. They don't appear to be armed fortunately enough, but the old pointy eared looking woman leading the pack seemed like trouble, if only because she seemed ready to talk your ears off.

Alexandria and Liliya, The Broken Wheel

Meanwhile, the walk over to the broken wheel was about as comfortable for Alexandria and Liliya really. The rain was always there of course, but what really made it awkward was the...terrified or confused looked in people's eyes as their mind tried to come to terms with Alexandria's existence. At least, the ones who weren't on something at the time it seems, who knew that the docks would attract so much metahuman refuse in the night?.

At least the Broken Wheel seemed slightly better, the area around it being clearish of hobos and junkies, probably because anyone who fit the bill would be inside getting their fix. It had a flashing neon purple sign over a reinforced steel door, painting the grime coating the walls in offputting ways. In short, it was a dive bar, one where someone could while away their night by indulging themselves in their favored vice without asking any weird questions...so long as their vice was cheap liquor, greasy food, or chemicals of dubious origin that is.

The two of you drew some attention when you entered into the bar proper, the assortment of patrons inside of the dimly lit room suddenly having a new subject to talk among themselves about as they sat around tables in their stools or suspiciously off colored lounges. Whoever the shadowrunners are? They have shit taste in bars, and unfortunately enough, it doesn't seem like they're here right now. Maybe it'd be a good idea to pull up a stool of your own and order something palatable from the bar while you wait, doesn't seem like the orc manning the bar is the kind to let people bum around here without ordering anything.

Solomon, Navin, Heidrun, Impact Point

In all honesty, the walk over to the abandoned warehouse was the easiest of the three destinations. The crowds of SINless, shady sorts, defensive looking guards and well, people in general seeming to thin the closer they got to their destination, almost as if they're taking the ghost stories a little too seriously. Oh right, the ghost stories, turns out this port turning to a crime ridden slum was a lateral change, based on some of the stories you've read about this place anyway. Who knew that black market organ harvesting was a still thing? Black Ops agents hired by a vaguely satanic cult apparently!.

Thankfully enough once you actually got to the place it looked...really normal, yes it had a lot of grime and had a generally dilapidated look, and some of the glass/metal panels had fallen off in the past, but it really didn't look like the 'Warehouse of Fear' the stories would have you believe it was. Maybe it was all just bulldrek only gullible people believed? Either way, the fence's open and inviting enough, and the large sliding gates look...easy enough to move out of the way. "Well, this should be easy," Solomon unhelpfully commented, as he leaned against a particularly tall pilling, one of the few in good enough condition this far out on the docks.

Heidrun eyed the place with unease. She wasn't much one for ghost stories, but black market organ harvesting was a different matter. She pulled at her robe, attempting to tighten the already well-fitted (and not particularly adjustable) garment about herself as a nervous habit. "I don't like this place. . ." The healer glanced at Navin. Solomon didn't seem to be the helpful type in general, but perhaps the alleged superhero would know what to do here. "So, err, are we just watching, or are we going in. . . ?" Predictably, Heidrun didn't sound particularly eager to do the latter.

Friedhold turned to look at the SINless as they approached, after assessing they weren't obviously armed he turned back to stare at the distant radio tower and look over tent-city between him and it.  He simply stood waiting patiently.

The Little Sister on the other hand, having recently gotten over an learned fear of water falling from the sky, is spending her time trying to catch as many rain drops and splash in as many puddles as possible while still holding onto Friedhold's hand.

That is precisely what Liliya did. Pulling up a stool for a table off to the side--though not oo out of the way, not one of the tables where it's blindingly obvious that you want to survey the bar--and ordered a drink. Namely, the closest thing to a whiskey on the rocks that could be fetched for a low price. She didn't care if it was synthetic.

"So, you got any ways of emulating drinking, or can you do so? It'd be pretty cool to be a robot that could drink. Swing on up to an old saloon with a cigar and order something, make a good movie."

"Ah, I love places like this.  You can just feel the ambiance!" Alexandria saunters up to the bar, bulldozing through the strange looks she attracts with cheerful confidence, "So many interesting people come through.  And the stories they can tell...  Ah, barkeep!  A double measure of your foulest rot-gut, if you please!  Do not concern yourself with holding back!  I assure you I will not be harmed."

On 10/9/2019 at 4:08 PM, StormLord said:

Friedhold turned to look at the SINless as they approached, after assessing they weren't obviously armed he turned back to stare at the distant radio tower and look over tent-city between him and it.  He simply stood waiting patiently.

The Little Sister on the other hand, having recently gotten over an learned fear of water falling from the sky, is spending her time trying to catch as many rain drops and splash in as many puddles as possible while still holding onto Friedhold's hand.

The sight of the little sister gently clutching Friedhold's hand, his patience, and the general ease she displayed around him seemed to preemptively cool the situation somewhat, causing the men and woman approaching him to look a bit less concerned about him, as they took something out of their coats. "Are you doing alright son?," the older woman asked, with a tone of...grandmotherly concern as her rough and gloved hands moved to hold an aged black umbrella over the two of you, causing the rain to pour down on her ratty looking overcoat. One of the two men accompanying her quickly move to cover her with his own umbrella, while the other stands a fair distance away to uh, glare at Friedhold a little uncomfortably. If you had to guess these three were related somehow, judging by how each of them had tusks and black hair and the same kind of oliveish skin.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:38 AM, DragonRage said:

"Ah, I love places like this.  You can just feel the ambiance!" Alexandria saunters up to the bar, bulldozing through the strange looks she attracts with cheerful confidence, "So many interesting people come through.  And the stories they can tell...  Ah, barkeep!  A double measure of your foulest rot-gut, if you please!  Do not concern yourself with holding back!  I assure you I will not be harmed."

The Barkeep snorted at Alexandria's statement, turning around a bit to give the crowd a 'Can you believe this shit?' look before he pulled out a...plastic bottle of what appeared to be Scotch, until he cracked it open and filled a nice and deep looking shotglass with it, letting out a smell that made it quite clear that the alcohol content would be the least of your worries. He brushed the glass over to Alexandria once more, before giving her a slightly expectant look when it bumped a little against her hand.

Friedhold turned back to face the SINless and addressed them as casually as one could in a rain shower in the middle of a filthy dock.

"Fine, thank you.  My first time seeing the city, I did not believe I would live to see it, or any of America for that matter."

He glanced upward, looking towards the clouds now releasing a steady stream of water.

"Perhaps the rain will be less foreboding than where I am from."

"Oh, yes, I agree that this place is terribly suspicious. While I admit that sometimes empty and dilapidated warehouses really are just empty and dilapidated warehouses, I have on more than one occasion seen them actually be intricate supervillain lairs or criminal hideouts. But..." Even Navin was beginning to cotton onto the fact that his nonchalance about these things was terrifying Heidrun out of her wits. "If you feel that you are in danger, you can just allow Solomon and I to take care of the danger while you assist from the back --is that not right, Solomon-- and we should be quite able to do so. Solomon seems thoroughly familiar with how fights go in this world, and I have around a decade of experience with things that include criminal hideouts and supervillain lairs. We will have things under control."

Navin sighed and looked at the building. "There is nothing for it but to go ahead and enter, though. We have got to get this done if we are going to help people here, after all, and help people we must do." Navin sighed and then rolled his sleeves up a little, moving towards the gate. "Back me up, would you, Solomon?" Walking forwards slowly (and giving the other two time to follow as they wished), Navin reached for the sliding gates and attempted to wrench one of them open with his hands.

Alexandria grabs the shot glass and tosses it back with relish.  She swirls it around in her mouth a bit before swallowing vigorously.  A faint gurgling sound can be heard from her neck and chest as she sighs contentedly, "Aaaah, that's the good stuff.  Strips the residue out of my coolant lines right quick.  I really should upgrade to a cleaner coolant solution one of these days, but then I'd not have a good excuse to visit bars."

"I, that sounds good," Heidrun stood back a bit, nervously glancing behind herself as Navin started to wrench at the gate. She didn't want to place people in danger with her presence, but she didn't have much choice but to throw herself into the mix, either, especially if this was tied into something as big as everyone seemed to be saying. "I would say we should try to do this peacefully, but I don't think this is the sort of thing where we can politely convince them to stop doing what they're doing." She sighed, as if it had been on the table at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alexandria and Liliya, The Broken Wheel

The bartender coolly raised an eyebrow at Alexandria as she rapidly downed the heady mixture in one gulp, her sensors finding it to consist of 'fermented' cough syrup, American tap water, and antifreeze, among other things. A single bead of sweat dripped down on the man's forehead after she finished her drink, and he slowly slid the glass back in his hand, shaking it a bit to see if it was truly empty. "Hot damn, what brings a hardcase like you over to these parts?," the bartender ventured to ask, his hands subconsciously moving to wipe down the glass with a practiced ease.

Meanwhile, some members of the crowd was sizing Alexandria up from a distance; just the usual lowlife gutterpunk trash unfortunately, none of them fit what the two of you''re looking for, but they're likely to try and 'jack some ware from the cylon' later...whatever that meant.

Friedhold, Reception Area

The woman had an understanding look on her face after she heard Friedhold speak, slowly nodding along before she ventured to reply with, "It was a beautiful city once, before the corps got their dirty hands on it, but now...all I can say is that the rain's just water over here, most of the time." She left a short pause hanging in the air for a bit, before she gestured towards the little sister and asked, "Are you two going to be alright? The rain's not letting up for a while, and we got space around the fire."

"Certain locals have been very naughty indeed.  And by naughty I mean exceedingly stupid.  You seem far more cognitively capable.  I'm certain you don't need specifics to imagine the sort of illicit goods that would demand a repossession agent immune to all forms of biological poison or disease.  I also am certain you're well aware of how familiar the locals are with lab safety procedures and biohazard containment," Alexandria smiles brightly at the bartender and then spins about, speaking a bit louder as she addresses the room, "These particular fools do not seem to greatly value keeping themselves in good repair, but I suspect you all here might be somewhat more concerned with maintaining your biology in its currently functional state, hm?"  Her eyes narrow, partially shuddering their warm, faint, purple glow, "Would it not be a shame if I were unable to locate these fools before their ineptitude results in a containment breach?  Who knows how far such a thing could spread in the air and water?  Experimental technology can be so... unpredictable."

"Oh joy, you had to mention the bioweapon thingy." Liliya muttered, playing along. Setting down her glass, she'd slink around towards the main entrance in case anyone tried to make a break for it, though she knew places like this would always have a back exit.

Solomon, Navin, Heidrun, Impact Point

Solomon glared at Navin after his remarks, in a slightly defeated 'oh come on' way that suggests that he had planned to uh, do everything but fight in the front, if it came to that. But at the very least, his non committal reply of "Yeah...," implied that he wasn't chickening out already. The librarian kept a look out close enough to Navin as the hero worked for his entrance, seemingly not finding anything interesting around the dark, and abandoned looking warehouse.

Nothing but the sound of rain, and an awful grinding sound greeted the trio when they finally forced the gate open, revealing a very dark room beyond it, one covered in dilapidated looking boxes, with a path heading to the left and one to the right of an all too convenient impromptu maze. Solomon quickly moved to wedge a nearby brick underneath one of the gates before he said, "Okay, now I see why they think this place's haunted."

Alexandria and Liliya, The Broken Wheel

The bartender gave Alexandria a strange look after he heard her bald faced statement/veiled threat/insult, as if he had to make sure that he actually heard you say that. Although the slight up and down movement you detect his hands making underneath the counter implies that this wasn't the first time he heard that in here. That reminds you actually, does this place have any backrooms with it's own exits?.

"Well now, I think this lady's had a little too much to drink!," he lied, drawing a bit of cold laughter from some of the patrons, one of whom was discreetly making his way to the entrance...or so he tried anyway, as Liliya could catch up to him easily enough if she tried. Not all that hard to spot someone of his height, Olympian build...and general lack of subtlety moving about here really, Stopping him might be a different matter entirely though.

Fortunately enough for everyone involved though, the punks were the one laughing at the bartender's southern drawl, and their makeshift weapons were hidden once more, for now at least.

Liliya moved over to the door, not quite planting herself in the way, but standing at the side to accost the man if he tried to exit. Before saying anything, she'd attempt to look forward five seconds for this course of action. If it was not too bad, she'd continue. "Awfully suspicious to be leaving right now, don't you think?"

Alexandria makes a vaguely sigh-like noise with her fans, "At least he hasn't shot anyone yet,"  She slides the appropriate payment for her drink and a bit extra across the bar to the bartender, and then strides after the big guy, coming up behind him as Liliya slides in front.  Should he attempt hostile action, she'll grab and restrain the unfortunate thug.

Navin let out a breath as he finally opened the gate, missing Solomon's "hey what the fuck" glare entirely, but after a couple of moments he walked into the room and frowned -- it was awfully dark in here. "I... do not suppose any of you have lights, do you? I am afraid that I cannot really produce sustained light or flame, short of trying to set a piece of paper on fire by exploding it, and that would be very loud and not terribly reliable, either. But I do not like the idea of just tromping around this place in the total dark, either."

Once he got a reply (and sighing if nobody in fact did have a light before squaring his shoulders) Navin turned to the left. "If I were a gambler --and I most certainly am not-- I would bet money that we are going to have to go into that maze of boxes. But, with that said, I think that I would prefer not to go into it first... while I would certainly prefer not to fight, if there is anybody here, that area would be a profoundly difficult area to conflict in, especially while we do not know much about this place. Thus, I would like for us to go this way and get a better understanding of all of this." Assuming the others agreed, he would lead them in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 6:30 AM, Strider said:

Liliya moved over to the door, not quite planting herself in the way, but standing at the side to accost the man if he tried to exit. Before saying anything, she'd attempt to look forward five seconds for this course of action. If it was not too bad, she'd continue. "Awfully suspicious to be leaving right now, don't you think?"

Liliya's glimpse of the future didn't reveal all that much really, in 5 seconds time, the man's blue eyes would size her up, his pace would slowed down to a crawl, and she'd wonder where his accent came from when he'd say, "I didn't come here to meet a pack of chowderheads tonight," which happened well enough. He had a slight hint of irritation on his face when he pointed at Alexandria, "And not every American has a gun, metropolis." Germany perhaps? Or Austria? His accent sounds like it comes from one of those western European countries to be sure, oddly enough the guy looks kind of familiar too, almost like someone you've seen in your world?.

Alexandria meanwhile, would rather quickly recognize him as who he is, kind of strange how he didn't seem to bother with hiding himself, his name's "Junior", one of the shadowrunners that the target list warned you about. He was the muscle of the operation, a cybernetically enhanced supersoldier that practically came out of nowhere, the man quickly made a reputation of himself in the shadows, and with an operation history that sounds like a really cheesy action movie quadrilogy, you're kind of surprised that he was dumb enough to you know, not even try to hide. But on the bright side, you were pretty sure that he wasn't immune to being tipped over and pancaked by you.

Heidrun hesitantly followed Navin. "I, umm, I don't technically have a light, but I can do this." A look of concentration preceded her right hand beginning to glow brightly enough to serve as a light source as she held it forward. "And, um, maybe if they're hiding something, they put it in the less obvious place? The boxes seem like they'd be the first place to check, but it's probably more secure than those. At least I hope it is, it wouldn't be very good if it was just lying around, even if that would make our jobs easier." Heidrun closed her mouth consciously and deliberately to stop herself from rambling any more.