Pokemon Memeborn: Public Version

Azeria

• Global Mods

Ah neat, I was curious about this after hearing a seeing a couple posts on it by some of the early testers, and was wondering when it would be public.

I'll download it now and probably give it a shot after this Rejuv V11 intense run 😃

So I decided to give it a whirl and I managed to get through Julia with this team though only three played a critical role:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ecfcac040aa3932dc1bb25806fb8b817.png

Thoughts on the game through picture first:

71c97a4f128cf37ea483534a8a05fe7fc82ebb6b

Now for the written part:

So let's talk about the glaring issue: exp and grinding. You need to have your team prepped way ahead of time otherwise exp will be way too low and you'll have to spend a bunch of time grinding off of Grand Hall trainers. I was able to get all of them but Linoone who was 13 to the levels they were with 0 grinding. I suggest adding a bit more levels, mons, or something to the pre Fern areas to help adjust for this. This is the worst area of the game for exp handling to the point I've had to fix it again and again that I kind of know it like the back of my hand. All vital Pokemon to train, average level for fights, ect. That's the main issue I noticed. Now let's get to the fights:

Fern: It's a first boss and he has some coverage and moves but you should be able to get a second stage Pokemon and destroy him easily. It's just fine...barring what I mentioned above. Having to dig up and grind from every trainer just to stand a chance is a bit tiring. Not his fault though.

Meteor Grunts: Something I already have taken note of is that a lot of care was put into the Meteor Grunts. While I just slapped and combined the new and old teams, all of these are very different but still use some old Pokemon. These guys are definitely going to be trouble later given the Pokemon they use. It's a really nice touch and I think the effort there was pulled off quite nicely. The grunts probably are going to be more memorable that way.

Battle for the Bombs: I feel like this battle was toned down a bit as I remember Lunatone and Solrock being more threatening. It's not a big deal since it's a random battle but I felt like commenting.

Aster and Eclipse: I'm going to be honest, this fight was a tad disappointing as it's easier than Fern by a large margin. They could use a bit of a buff if you ask me. It's a 10 v 4 and Fern is actually competent. I think giving them a couple more mons might be a bit too much and evolving Elekid and Magby definitely would. I'd say touch up their stats to make them last a little bit longer.

Julia: This is the kind of stuff that'll give people nightmares until morning. I saw the level 14 Minun and thought this wouldn't be bad, but ho boy I was very, very wrong. If you have two or three 2nd stagers, this fight probably won't be too bad especially those familiar with Redux, but there is one Pokemon I feel may be way too strong. Electrode. Is it invincible, no? But it can one shot probably 1/2 of your team and there's not much you can do about it. It took me a while to get the right strat down, but it really only worked since I had a speed boost Combusken. I could've probably done it with Mightyena and Raticate though since those are beasts but I would have had to go out of my way to grind them. This fight I feel is fine, but on one condition: Zigzagoon is the only option in the mix mon (aka remove Pachirusu). That Pokemon really helps Pokemon be useful that'd otherwise be worthless.

I'll be honest here: this mod is probably more fitting for the title Hardcore than what the actual Hardcore was for (hence why I changed the name). From the Julia fight alone, it is really, really well done to the point I could see little flaw in Julia and her strats were very, very on point. It really is a mod that separates the men from the boys. I guess the best way is that if you think Redux is at least manageable and not that difficult then try this one out. It's definitely worth trying out just from the little bit I tried. As for me playing more, maybe down the line since I got a lot on my plate. We'll see.

Also sweating bullets here 'cause this might be better than Redux

Edit: I uhh...got up to Florinia. I need to stop playing this. I guess I'll continue on from there. Exp in this part is fine as Rematch trainers will easily fill what missing exp there is in minutes. Now let's get onto the fights.

Victoria: She's a bit underleveled but she kind of is what I would expect from a rival with no curveballs. Not really any fun surprises. We'll have to wait and see how she turns out later since this is the infant stages of the rival fights. Nobody really cares about this fight.

Scraggy Gang: I like the idea here, but I don't think it really pays off. The scraggy lead was pretty cool, but nothing else really stuck out to me. I'd have to think about it to give suggestions. I'm definitely impressed you managed to still differentiate yourself from mine on a fight near impossible to do so. If you like it, don't change it though as fights like these usually are meant to be forgettable and it at least has something memorable.

Cain: Good fight that makes use of the field. Good job. It makes it at just the right difficulty for people swapping around their teams. Also bigger props for using a first stage starter well enough to work and not have to edit a cutscene to make it evolve mid event because people bug you to do something but they don't want you to change it back to a first stage starter.

Fern: I like the idea of using Anorith there. I think it's fine as a fitting warm-up boss and I do kind of like how you decided to keep the theme of both sets of starters. I'm really liking this team and am curious how it'll function in future fights.

Florinia: Let's break this one down. Compared to Julia, Florinia feels underwhelming. That's partially expected because you have so much to counter with compared to Julia and much stronger mons. It's a good fight, but it does need a little bit of tuning (this girl made me crack at points when buffing her). The first thing is the Sigilyph. The Pokemon is fine but Psywave is just too unreliable. I also realize it's basically a 12-37 damage in HP. Might want to change that to Psybeam or even stored Power or something else. That one needs tinkering. The other one is Breloom which its number one weakness outspeeds and oneshots it. Gotta love how Fearow is available right before. It's the weakest link and while it is kind of famed among Florinia I don't think it's bad to drop it for something better. Either that or you may want to pump a lot of speed EVs into it. Everything else was pretty well done. I think Julia just set a really high bar and perhaps too high for Flo to reach. Though if you tinker with those two mons it'll likely be just right for what you want.

Team I used for testing:

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=484&height=375

(Pretty sure I didn't even need Uberchicken as it was only used on Cradily)

I couldn't not start this hard mode. I had to generate a number from 1 to 18 where the monotype matched and I went out Normal. I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I might as well start pulling heads on all sides, how long I was not doing these things.

• Veterans
Just now, Paperblade said:

Curse you for releasing this at the start of the week when I won't have time to nolife this

I'm gunna be posting patches over time so by the time you'll get to it, you'll have a smoother ride anyways!

Speaking of, just uploaded one so please do download it.

Either due to my file unpacker (7zip), my internet corrupting the files, or the website, but I've tried downloading this a few times and each time the archive has failed with 7zip telling me it's failed to open as an archive. Am I missing something stupid or obvious?

As for the changes I've read about, aside from the obvious difficulty part of the mod, I like the look of them and most of them I think would be great changes for the actual game in terms of availability even if it's potentially at the cost of other Pokemon being moved to later in the game. Especially Gligar being added to the Mystery Egg (ignoring the bias of it being one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon, it makes a good match with Sneasel). I always felt that badge 7-8 was a better place for a guaranteed Gligar (I saw an idea of it replacing Trapinch as the trade in Chrysolia, which I would support after Flygon became in-game god tier in Gen 7) as opposed to 12 or 13 (can't recall) where it currently is. I was always a fan of the middle or first evolutions that are given the spotlight in Reborn due to their evolutions coming significantly later, and Gligar would be an excellent candidate for that. (the razor fang is absolutely fine where it is, since even without Earthquake Gliscor is a defensive setup monster)

The only one I would be concerned about balance wise is Ralts, and that's exclusively because of learning Calm Mind by level up. I don't know if removing moves from learnsets, or at least moving it to the 70+ range is something you want to do, but it would make it a safer option for early availability without harming Gallade who was hit hard with the Ralts pushback. The TM changes also look good to me, Sludge Bomb being completely unavailable in E18 baffles me. The only reason I can see it is to keep Budew in check... which does make sense :D (Speaking of, memes aside, Budew is a pokemon that I think could be moved forward and replaced with something else, like Cacnea or Fomantis. Even without great poison STAB Roserade is available super early for a Gen 4 evo and is by no means underused or unpopular - unless it was moved in E18 and I somehow missed it), the "pivot" moves aren't as great outside competitive unless you're on Set or in Doubles (though are definitely still late game stuff), and Shadow Ball, while very strong, doesn't feel worth the effort of -every- starter egg. Everything else that's unavailable has a pretty good reason, though I think the "big" elemental moevs currently in the penthouse could be safe to place in the desert section onwards, at least Blizzard and Thunder, as they encourage build-arounds or interesting ability interactions like Compoundeyes Thunder Galvantula.

Is this Scyther item exclusive to Scyther as a replacement for Metal Coat, allowing Scyther to be available earlier without pushing the metal coat so far forward it makes Steelix worthless outside of potentially its Mega? That'd be quite cool, Scyther would be a fun midgame choice against stuff like Radomus, Luna, and Samson, and probably stays viable until Scizor thanks to Swords Dance. (Is it possible to make a Probopass-only evolution area/item or make it a rare spawn somewhere (kind of like the way you viably use A.Sandslash ingame) so it isn't thrown out with the bathwater with Vikavolt and Magnezone, too? Definitely not a mon that deserves to be that late in the game.)

tl;dr: looks good, but the file is busted for me, will check out the team changes if/when I'm able!

• Veterans
Just now, interdiction said:

Either due to my file unpacker (7zip), my internet corrupting the files, or the website, but I've tried downloading this a few times and each time the archive has failed with 7zip telling me it's failed to open as an archive. Am I missing something stupid or obvious?

As for the changes I've read about, aside from the obvious difficulty part of the mod, I like the look of them and most of them I think would be great changes for the actual game in terms of availability even if it's potentially at the cost of other Pokemon being moved to later in the game. Especially Gligar being added to the Mystery Egg (ignoring the bias of it being one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon, it makes a good match with Sneasel). I always felt that badge 7-8 was a better place for a guaranteed Gligar (I saw an idea of it replacing Trapinch as the trade in Chrysolia, which I would support after Flygon became in-game god tier in Gen 7) as opposed to 12 or 13 (can't recall) where it currently is. I was always a fan of the middle or first evolutions that are given the spotlight in Reborn due to their evolutions coming significantly later, and Gligar would be an excellent candidate for that. (the razor fang is absolutely fine where it is, since even without Earthquake Gliscor is a defensive setup monster)

The only one I would be concerned about balance wise is Ralts, and that's exclusively because of learning Calm Mind by level up. I don't know if removing moves from learnsets, or at least moving it to the 70+ range is something you want to do, but it would make it a safer option for early availability without harming Gallade who was hit hard with the Ralts pushback. The TM changes also look good to me, Sludge Bomb being completely unavailable in E18 baffles me. The only reason I can see it is to keep Budew in check... which does make sense 😄 (Speaking of, memes aside, Budew is a pokemon that I think could be moved forward and replaced with something else, like Cacnea or Fomantis. Even without great poison STAB Roserade is available super early for a Gen 4 evo and is by no means underused or unpopular - unless it was moved in E18 and I somehow missed it), the "pivot" moves aren't as great outside competitive unless you're on Set or in Doubles (though are definitely still late game stuff), and Shadow Ball, while very strong, doesn't feel worth the effort of -every- starter egg. Everything else that's unavailable has a pretty good reason, though I think the "big" elemental moevs currently in the penthouse could be safe to place in the desert section onwards, at least Blizzard and Thunder, as they encourage build-arounds or interesting ability interactions like Compoundeyes Thunder Galvantula.

Is this Scyther item exclusive to Scyther as a replacement for Metal Coat, allowing Scyther to be available earlier without pushing the metal coat so far forward it makes Steelix worthless outside of potentially its Mega? That'd be quite cool, Scyther would be a fun midgame choice against stuff like Radomus, Luna, and Samson, and probably stays viable until Scizor thanks to Swords Dance. (Is it possible to make a Probopass-only evolution area/item or make it a rare spawn somewhere (kind of like the way you viably use A.Sandslash ingame) so it isn't thrown out with the bathwater with Vikavolt and Magnezone, too? Definitely not a mon that deserves to be that late in the game.)

tl;dr: looks good, but the file is busted for me, will check out the team changes if/when I'm able!

Try using WinRAR maybe? Not familiar with 7ZIP sorry. Try redownloading again since I just uploaded a new version~

And yeah you got the reasoning for most of those changes spot on! I'll look into the Probopass case since I did something similar for Crabominable/Glaceon.

I'll try that out, thanks! While I doubt the intent of this mod is a Pokemon balance overhaul, it would also be cool to eventually also see a few Pokemon with horrific learnsets (looking at you, Unfezant and your pure special learnpool for a physical attacker) get some touchups in the future, even if it's one or two highly desirable moves. (like Unfezant learning Acrobatics in the mid-late 30s; Shelly is so much of a monster in battle in regular Reborn I don't feel bad introducing another counter to her in a difficulty increasing mod)

This is a more demanding and out-there suggestion, but something that allowed more access to the lower-end Megas earlier would be fun (I doubt many people, when they finally got the Mega-Z ring, went, "Now I can finally use my Audinite!", unless it was their favorite Pokemon) without breaking the game with the mega stones and Z crystals you find before the ring is obtainable, but that would require moving a lot of items and possibly changing events. (If you were to get something different for the Mega Ring quest, I would place a mid-high tier mega stone there, sort of like how the Magic Square puzzle rewards you for its extreme difficulty with a good mega stone and top-tier TM.)

• Veterans
18 hours ago, interdiction said:

I'll try that out, thanks! While I doubt the intent of this mod is a Pokemon balance overhaul, it would also be cool to eventually also see a few Pokemon with horrific learnsets (looking at you, Unfezant and your pure special learnpool for a physical attacker) get some touchups in the future, even if it's one or two highly desirable moves. (like Unfezant learning Acrobatics in the mid-late 30s; Shelly is so much of a monster in battle in regular Reborn I don't feel bad introducing another counter to her in a difficulty increasing mod)

This is a more demanding and out-there suggestion, but something that allowed more access to the lower-end Megas earlier would be fun (I doubt many people, when they finally got the Mega-Z ring, went, "Now I can finally use my Audinite!", unless it was their favorite Pokemon) without breaking the game with the mega stones and Z crystals you find before the ring is obtainable, but that would require moving a lot of items and possibly changing events. (If you were to get something different for the Mega Ring quest, I would place a mid-high tier mega stone there, sort of like how the Magic Square puzzle rewards you for its extreme difficulty with a good mega stone and top-tier TM.)

I've thought about that stuff but didn't want to go -too- far out there. I'll probably do a few more for those that need it though, so your suggestion might well go through ^^

On another note, I've updated the links with a new patch, fixing yet another bunch of bugs that came back despite me fixing them 😠

20 hours ago, interdiction said:

The only one I would be concerned about balance wise is Ralts, and that's exclusively because of learning Calm Mind by level up. I don't know if removing moves from learnsets, or at least moving it to the 70+ range is something you want to do, but it would make it a safer option for early availability without harming Gallade who was hit hard with the Ralts pushback

Ralts is probably fine--I don't think it was ever broken the way something like Gyarados was or Flygon is, but it was extremely popular which is going to skew perception. There are plenty of solid pokemon that get boosting moves and are available before Ralts is obtainable or around the same time--Diggersby, Alakazam, Mismagius, Zoroark, Ninetales, Houndoom, Crawdaunt, Barbaracle, Flygon just in the vanilla game and ignoring starters/mystery egg. Gard has a good STAB combo, but it's still a physically frail, 80 base Speed pokemon with no speedboosting moves/ability

• Veterans
1 hour ago, Paperblade said:

Ralts is probably fine--I don't think it was ever broken the way something like Gyarados was or Flygon is, but it was extremely popular which is going to skew perception. There are plenty of solid pokemon that get boosting moves and are available before Ralts is obtainable or around the same time--Diggersby, Alakazam, Mismagius, Zoroark, Ninetales, Houndoom, Crawdaunt, Barbaracle, Flygon just in the vanilla game and ignoring starters/mystery egg. Gard has a good STAB combo, but it's still a physically frail, 80 base Speed pokemon with no speedboosting moves/ability

I moslty moved Ralts forward because the way it was done in Reborn seriously fucked over Gallade for no reason at all :x.

Posted another little patch, this time fixing a certain addition to a certain fight at Pyrous.

• Like 1

• Veterans
On 12/9/2018 at 2:30 AM, Maqqy said:

........ what

^^ If I have to suffer through making her harder, you'll have to suffer through fighting her proper.

New patch is up, check the OP lads.

• Veterans

New update is out! V1.0.9 brings the following changes with it;

Spoiler

- Bunch of fixes for bugs later in the game.

Pokemon changelog:

• Luxray line - gains Dark typing on the final stage
  • Haxorus line - gains Steel typing on the final stage
  • Druggion - Gains Fairy typing
  • Rampardos line - Gains Electric typing and Rock Head as a new ability
  • Volbeat/Illumise - Gain Electric typing
  • Goodra - Gains Water Typing
  • Dusknoir - Gains Dark typing
  • Banette - Gains Fairy Typing
  •  
  • Rampardos/Luxray/Electivire/Zebstrika now get Volt Tackle
  • Milotic now gets Extrasensory
  • Beartic/Seismitoad now get Waterfall and Dive
  • Aurorus now gets Power Gem
  • Luxray now gets Psychic Fangs
  • Salamence and Charizard now get Stomping Tantrum
  •  
  • There is now a new move tutor in Agate Circus who teaches 'Old Gen TMs and Tutor Moves' to those who had it accessible to them. This will be getting updated with new moves overtime, so keep an eye out for it!

Original post has been updated with all of this as normal!

• Veterans

V1.1 is now out! Check the OP for the patch and update as usual!

1.1 Changelog:

Spoiler

1.1 Changelog;

(Pokemon Location changes/additions)
- Deino  - Added to the Mystery Egg
- Axew - Removed from the Mystery Egg
- Swablu has been added as an event in the Peridot Ward
- Skrelp can now be fished up by the Old Rod in the Peridot Ward
- Nosepass is now an event in the Underground Railnet
- Bergmite and Snorunt have been added to the early game.
- Shieldon can now be found in Seacrests Garden
- Duskull and Shuppet can be found in Seacrests Garden at Night.
- Nidoran F in the Game Corner.
- Croagunk moved to Azurine Island's encounters.
- Meditite and Tyrogue have swapped locations.

(Pokemon type changes)
- Farfetch'd is now Fighting/Flying
- Emboar line is now Fire/Ground from Pignite onwards
- Samurott line is now Water/Fighting from Dewott onwards
- Serperior line is now Grass/Dragon from Servine onwards
- Yanmega is now Bug/Dragon
- Silvally's stats are updated to 100 across the board.

(Moveset changes)
- Movepools have been updated accordingly for the above.
- Tranquill/Unfezant now get Aerial Ace(25) and Brave Bird(48) via level up
- Seismitoad now gets Earth POWEEEER via level up (47).
- Groudon now gets Heat Crash via level up (1)
- Rampardos(70)/Luxray(70)/Electivire(70)/Zebstrika(65) now get Volt Tackle via level up.
- Milotic now gets Extrasensory via level up (1).
- Beartic/Seismitoad now get Waterfall and Dive via TMX
- Aurorus now gets Power Gem via level up (1).
- Salamence and Charizard now get Stomping Tantrum via tutor.
- Exploud(1) and Luxray(63) now get Psychic Fangs via level up.
- Drifblim now gets Hurricane via level up. (1)
- Typhlosion now gets Earth Power and Energy Ball via TM.
- Shiftry now gets Gale Wings over Early Bird
- Silvally now has Arceus' TM compatabillity.
- Croagunk's moveset now includes Drain Punch(40s) and Bulk Up(50s)
- Deino now evolves at level 32.

(Miscellaneous changes)
- Trainers in early game have been updated to smoothen the Exp Curve.

- More doubles boss battles.
- IVs have been set to 31 for every Pokemon.
- Corey's Pokemon have been updated.
- Elemental Blasts(Fire Blast/Blizzard/Thunder)TM's have been added to the end game.
- Moved Energy Ball(Leftover's Quest)
- EXP All added over the Exp Share given in Spinel Town
- Dreamblitz's Battle Theme mod has been added.

• Veterans
21 minutes ago, noclevername said:

There seems to be a problem with Ciels battle.Whenever i ask her to a battle,she teleports me in to the arena and nothing happens and when i go back i have to ask  her again and im stuck in an constant loop.Is it a glitch or did i ruin something by using mods?

That's odd...can you send me your savefile?

Currently doing a Poison Mono run of this. You've really upped the difficulty, nice work. (Samson is impossible for me)

(Now it's Ciel LOL)

Edited by Dkr1982dn