So, I'm playing Legends of the Arena...

ShadeStrider

I played it a few years ago, and reached the end of the version. I really liked the narrative of this one.

Going to play it again.

Why did the creator feel the need to overuse tracks from Final Fantasy XI? That and 14 are the only ones I haven't played, because I don't really get into MMORPGs. I would have spruced things up with putting music from All the Final Fantasy games, not just XI. Although It would probably end up with me putting multiple versions of J-E-N-O-V-A, just because I like J-E-N-O-V-A too much as a battle theme. Seriously, when I planned making my Pokemon fangame starring a character named... Mary sue, I considered making the evil team grunt theme the J-E-N-O-V-A remix from Friedrich Habetler Music (like Desolation) and making the admin theme the Advent Children version.

Otherwise, I always start with Espeon. Best Special Attacking Eevee. I love it.

I remember that as a punishment for breaking the rules, the rival (Aka the protagonist's brother) got an empty Pokeball instead of an Eevee from his dad. Because he broke the rules and needed to learn some responsibility? I think that was what it was. I ended up feeling extremely sorry for the rival.

Also, Ghost types are banned in this region. I think the reason was because some evil organization used them primarily as their symbol, and now to eliminate any traces of them, they banned ghost types in the region. I think that measure was a bit too extreme. 

Edit: And I realized there are Ralts in the first Area. Sh*t. Oh well. If I had known, I would have gone for Jolteon rather than Espeon.

I couldn't bring myself to play it beyond the first couple towns because you don't really get to evolve your starter and there aren't any Gyms... plus, it's impractical to reset for good Natures and IVs. But I have seen shofu play through it, and it is a good game.

Here's a remix of J-E-N-O-V-A, in case you haven't heard it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gA0i7Er5KqA

Ahh yes. I just finished the latest version of it. Took a while to do despite it being released a while ago because of my backlog of Pokemon Fangames.

Just the witty banter of your character makes this a must play game imo lol

The elimination tournament matches are a good replacement for gyms. Especially for those who always ask for a Pokemon game to be a bit different but don't like the Battle Trials in Alola. Makes it feel like you are in the preliminaries of the 1st Gen Anime Pokemon League.

Spoiler

Still upset that they took my Rotom from me. Makes me wonder what if I managed to make it a Rotom-(insert appliance here) since it loses its ghost typing.

• Upvote 1

The use of FFXI music is definitely for thematic reasons. The entire tone of the game is incredibly consistent because of it. It also helps that most people that would play LotA would have never heard of the tracks beforehand. I didn't, and I think LotA picked the best soundtrack of all the fangames so far, although that's not a high bar to set when most of the other high-tier fangames reuse the same tracks among each other.

(I know if I ever made a fangame, I'd probably use a mix of FFXIV/Trails in the Sky themes for the type of fangame I'm thinking of. Although I imagine if the creator of LotA does indeed make a sequel fangame, it's going to use FFXIV themes just to hammer in the point.)

You're in for a wild ride if you're replaying it, though there was a two and a half year gap between the release of the latest version and the one before it (so you might only have one new chapter to play through). That said, the latest chapter has some incredible twists that probably makes the game as a whole one of, if not the best written of all fangames. Which is really impressive considering the much lighter-hearted tone of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I literally just finished Legends of the Arena today. Here's my Team:

LegendsOfTheArenaTeam.jpg

The level curve didn't really bother me too much as I am used to playing RPGs under leveled because I would rather avoid grinding. And I have to agree with the previous statements, the writing is very well done and honestly, I like the Tourneys more than run of the mill Gym Battles. A lot of the game centers around feeling bad for winning, so it works in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, ShadowStar said:

Hey I literally just finished Legends of the Arena today. Here's my Team:

Hide contents

LegendsOfTheArenaTeam.jpg

The level curve didn't really bother me too much as I am used to playing RPGs under leveled because I would rather avoid grinding. And I have to agree with the previous statements, the writing is very well done and honestly, I like the Tourneys more than run of the mill Gym Battles. A lot of the game centers around feeling bad for winning, so it works in my opinion.

Quite the interesting team there! Heres mine, though I tend to switch with Pokémon in my PC like Flygon and Aerodactyl

LOTA1.PNG

LOTA2.PNG

LOTA3.PNG

LOTA4.PNG

LOTA5.PNG

LOTA6.PNG