IV mod?

Waynolt

Hi!
I've read somewhere in the forum (don't remember exactly where, sorry) that there are no plans to include ways to increase a mon's IVs in Reborn.
Can see why - if one was added, it would make it pointless to breed mons. (*Innocently pushes "SWM - LearnEggMoves" under the bed*)

Yet, I was thinking: what if the way to increase the IVs were to be worse in some way than breeding?
It would keep breeding as the best way to get perfect IVs, while giving an alternative for roleplay's sake.

For example:
- A surgeon NPC could be added, who can increase your mons' IVs with a long and risky medical procedure that could maim or outright kill your mon.

This would give an alternative with a drawback that would keep breeding as the best option, but would also kind of defeat the roleplay goal: risking the life of your mon is not much better than chain-breeding it, because in both cases you're using it more as a commodity than a friend.

- IVs could increase by 1 when the corresponding EV goes over 255 (29 IV, 256 EV -> 30 IV, 0 EV).

Imho this could be good enough: it would be more time consuming than breeding, while still being a viable "ethical" alternative when roleplaying.

- Other options?

• Like 3

• Veterans
9 minutes ago, Waynolt said:

- IVs could increase by 1 when the corresponding EV goes over 255 (29 IV, 256 EV -> 30 IV, 0 EV).

Imho this could be good enough: it would be more time consuming than breeding, while still being a viable "ethical" alternative when roleplaying.

I like this more than an NPC that sets them, risk or no. Could be a little too grindy, but sometimes it's fun to climb a mountain. Pokérus and Power items would cut the grind down a lot, so maybe it's fine.

29 minutes ago, Waynolt said:

Hi!
I've read somewhere in the forum (don't remember exactly where, sorry) that there are no plans to include ways to increase a mon's IVs in Reborn.
Can see why - if one was added, it would make it pointless to breed mons. (*Innocently pushes "SWM - LearnEggMoves" under the bed*)

Yet, I was thinking: what if the way to increase the IVs were to be worse in some way than breeding?
It would keep breeding as the best way to get perfect IVs, while giving an alternative for roleplay's sake.

For example:
- A surgeon NPC could be added, who can increase your mons' IVs with a long and risky medical procedure that could maim or outright kill your mon.

This would give an alternative with a drawback that would keep breeding as the best option, but would also kind of defeat the roleplay goal: risking the life of your mon is not much better than chain-breeding it, because in both cases you're using it more as a commodity than a friend.

- Other options?

that npc idea seems kinda pointless and boring, since you could just soft reset a lot.

the second idea seems fineish. but i dont think you should have a way to get "perfect ivs" without breeding

maybe have some expensive food that lets you upgrade 2 or 3 stats but not more.

37 minutes ago, DemICE said:

This would only result in more people debugging perfect IVs on their pokemon claiming that it is legit doable through this mod now, and so they were just saving time.

Is it actually any better if they can't claim that after debugging, though?

2 hours ago, Vanitas said:

maybe have some expensive food that lets you upgrade 2 or 3 stats but not more.

Imho that wouldn't change much because, as far as I know, one only actually needs 2 or 3 good IVs per mon - the rest is nice to have, but not really useful.
For example: a Salazzle *could* make use of a perfect Attack IV, but it doesn't really suffer if it doesn't have that.

3 hours ago, BlueTowel said:

Could be a little too grindy, but sometimes it's fun to climb a mountain. Pokérus and Power items would cut the grind down a lot, so maybe it's fine.

Indeed: getting every IV from 0 to 31 with the second method would require 23.808 wild battles (3.968 battles per stat, 128 battles per IV point, assuming 2 EV points are gained in each battle).
Pokerus+power items would cut that to 2.381 wild battles (397 per stat, 13 per point, 20 EV points gained in each battle).

The EV thing sounds like a good idea. While grinding every single stat from like 15 to 31 would incredibly time consuming it could be a reasonable option for when a pokemon has a cripplingly low IV on its main stat and for those cases in which breeding is needlessly complicated unless you have like a 6x31 ditto/a shiny you dont feel like spending hours breeding. It could even be used to bump a few IVs to change the hidden power type of the pokemon. The only drawback I see is an IV going up and inconviniently eating up all your EVs/changing your hidden power type. Maybe it could be enabled in-game by an item or something?

31 minutes ago, DemICE said:

This would only result in more people debugging perfect IVs on their pokemon claiming that it is legit doable through this mod now, and so they were just saving time.

You say that as if people actually cared about what is legit and what isnt.

Guest Relinquished
8 hours ago, Waynolt said:

Hi!

For example:

- Other options?

No no no no no, that won't do, DON'T push the LearnEggMoves under the bed... Some legit egg moves are inaccessible and i am pretty sure, somebody from the inside commented some time ago, that giving full access to "special" egg moves (mostly those needing event pokemon or previous gen ones), isn't among the priorities of the dev team; if not, completely out of the picture! Also, keep in mind that there are some bugs associated with move Re-learner, so both your "LearnEggMoves" and Ironfaar's "LearnPreevolutionMoves", are very much needed, actually!

im guessing this is all going off the idea that in e19 debug mode isnt gonna be a thing cuz in debug mode you can make ur mon 100% perfect (EVs/IVs/nature/ability) and not to assume but i'd wager a guess that most of the people that use some of the mods for rejuv/reborn also use debug mode as well so....................

5 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

im guessing this is all going off the idea that in e19 debug mode isnt gonna be a thing

Unless the devs go way out of their way just to delete it, then debug mode will 100% be in E19.
And it is even possible that it won't need to be updated.

17 hours ago, Walpurgis said:

The only drawback I see is an IV going up and inconviniently eating up all your EVs/changing your hidden power type. Maybe it could be enabled in-game by an item or something?

It could be made something to be activated, of course, but imho it wouldn't be necessary: after all, the game does have a limit of 510 total EVs, which should severely limit the ways to accidentally increase the IVs: for example, a fully EV trained mon won't be able to reach 256 in any EV (unless you use friendship berries).

Also, about friendship berries: what if they were changed too, so that if they are used at exactly 0 EV then they reduce the IV instead?

This shouldn't be the exact opposite of the process (because that would make EV training trivial, at the cost of just 1 IV), but maybe if they did something like 29 IV, 0 EV -> 28 IV, 20 EV then they might become a way to revert accidental IV increases (or another tool to change the hidden type).

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, Waynolt said:

It could be made something to be activated, of course, but imho it wouldn't be necessary: after all, the game does have a limit of 510 total EVs, which should severely limit the ways to accidentally increase the IVs: for example, a fully EV trained mon won't be able to reach 256 in any EV (unless you use friendship berries).

Also, about friendship berries: what if they were changed too, so that if they are used at exactly 0 EV then they reduce the IV instead?

This shouldn't be the exact opposite of the process (because that would make EV training trivial, at the cost of just 1 IV), but maybe if they did something like 29 IV, 0 EV -> 28 IV, 20 EV then they might become a way to revert accidental IV increases (or another tool to change the hidden type).

I definitely like the 'EV Overflow' idea. One thing that I don't like so much about the reverse with the EV berries is that using a bunch of those on an EV that's already zero is a nice way to quickly raise happiness later in the game.

Alright then, I've added it as "SWM - EvOverflow". (Definitely didn't steal the name from here 😛 )

With this mod if a mon's EV goes over 252 (without breaking the 510 limit), then you are offered the choice of getting +1 in that stat's IV while losing all of its EV.
(Wanted to use 256 instead, but realized that that could have messed with savefile compatibility, because in the unmodded game mons are supposed to never have more than 252 in any EV... 😕)

If instead you are using a friendship berry at 0 EV, then you are offered the choice of getting -1 in that stat's IV (while at the same time setting its EV to 20).

In both cases the "default" choice is set to "no", so that click-spamming when skipping messages doesn't automatically accept the offer.
(Also, about spamming: since ExpShareFullTeam needed an edit to make EvOverflow compatible, I've also changed it so that it only shows one message with the total Exp gained by the team, instead of six different messages every time a foe is defeated)

Thanks to all who posted!

For some reason, the concept of ‘EV Overflow’ reminds me a lot of the legendary skills in Skyrim. When you are level 100 in one specific skill, you’re free to make it legendary or not, which make you able to develop your character indefinitely. Then, the level counter of this same skill is reset at 15. The rest depends on your preferences. Creating a mod based on such gameplay mechanics with EV/IV might be quite an interesting idea.