Your Thoughts on Mods

Metadeth

Just curious to know what everyone's stances on mods are? Do you use them for unique runs or to make the game easier? Or do you not use them to not break game immersion?

For me, I've only used the SMW v18 pack and only used the QoL mods from there, namely as the ones that allow pickup items to go straight to your bag and the ones that eliminate the need for HM slaves, which I found extremely useful yet did not sabotage gameplay. Other ones like changing weather/date or to relearn egg moves are not used unless I can't help it (e.g. changing the date to get Lapras instead of waiting for 5 in-game days)

I've recently come across the exp scaling option which would make training my army (pre-Circus, I have about 6 PC boxes' worth trained with the aid of 3 lucky eggs, most of which are useful in their own way since I can pick a suitable 6 for different boss/gym battles) of mons worlds easier and I won't get cash overload as much, but I see this as one that cheats the experience of grinding the game, and besides it'll mean I miss out on EV points. Of course, there's also the chance that mods can mess with the save file in case I need to upload them for troubleshooting. So far I'm not going to use it, but I believe I will at some point.

Your thoughts?

I don't remember which mod had it but the one with the Debug menu was SO nice to have for specific runs and my Nuzlocke challenge.

Mods are always going to be a tricky thing but they are such a nice thing to have, especially for the people like me who hate the grind when doing a new save file. Like I'll grind but if I need to train up a new team member because I'm stuck at a gym and I'm midway through the game (and the pokemon I caught is like 30+ levels below where they need to be) I'll just give myself the rare candies and do it that way. 

i use a lot of mods. it just takes out a lot of the obnoxious parts of gameplay. and besides i got all the pokemon ill use in "serious" battles before getting the mods.

the only time i feel like cheating is when i double items or get some legendaries.

but i dont do any battles without pokemon i didnt get in a legit way. so i dont see any problems with mods.

besides its everybodys decision in the end and theres no serious competion you could cheat in.

Guest Relinquished

I use them to "correct" the game and workaround its bugs.

First time i was forced to use a mod, it was old pal Waynolt's, for weather change. Episode 16's weather was broken and now, episode 18, tends to get stuck in the same weather pattern, like, regularly; or for the new weather to last for a very short period of time, not enough to hunt down all event pokemon appearing in it!

Then, there is a big issue with Pre-evolution only, moves. If a pokemon knew one right before evolving and kept it in its evolved form but replaced it later, the move Re-learner should remember it, but doesn't... Which is a bug! A bug that isn't fixed, as of now. I went and lost my meowh's pay-day, another player here went and lost his carefully bred Hydro-Pump on surskit, etc. Thankfully, Ironfaar provided.

Or to get eligible moves, that the game doesn't allow you to, by default; like Extremespeed on Dratini and special egg moves in general! It can learn it in 7th gen, but only from a certain, earlier gen pokemon, which excludes it in Reborn... I believe legit movesets should be accessible by default.

I use the Debug Menu, too, but only to check relationship values. Although, Waynolt made Psychic an overworld move to do just that, in a quicker and easier fashion. I am probably going to use it, in order to "fix" the stats of Legendaries, since getting viable scores, might require infinite, endless soft-resets (and still be unacceptable). Or to get myself that 6IV ditto... Although, i would prefer Ame giving us a perfect Ditto or something, as some sort of reward. But devs said they are never going to... Of course, i ain't touching it, until i beat the game completely, with my own skill, first!

I would prefer the game to be fixed, though and me abandoning mods altogether, to play it as intended by our wonderful dev team... But since mods work around all those issues, i guess they will have to do! I usually ditch mods in any game by default, refusing to use them (unless it is a very special case), but here, now, they became mandatory, for me! My heroes are WAYNOLT and IRONFAAR! Thank you for your work and support!

I use a lot of mods personally. The debug one because it saves a step when needing to fix problems, and to do various themed runs without difficulty. I also tend to skip/shorten grinding since my time to play is pretty limited ATM (I don't mind grinding in general, but literally don't have the time to spend several hours a day doing just that when playing  a game).

Also the weather mod, because again limited time means I can't really wait for the weather normally a lot of the time.

• Global Mods

I think the mod team here does our best to make sure the site is organized and the community is safe. We're currently dealing with some forum bugs like recent user activity not showing up in profiles, and no matter how many times Ame updates the site or contacts software support, that never fixes the issues. But she hasn't given up on finding a solution. We also hope that users feel like they can approach us when they have an issue or suggestion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I think the mod team here does our best to make sure the site is organized and the community is safe. We're currently dealing with some forum bugs like recent user activity not showing up in profiles, and no matter how many times Ame updates the site or contacts software support, that never fixes the issues. But she hasn't given up on finding a solution. We also hope that users feel like they can approach us when they have an issue or suggestion. 

I think you misunderstood the question being asked 🤣

9 hours ago, Metadeth said:

Just curious to know what everyone's stances on mods are? Do you use them for unique runs or to make the game easier? Or do you not use them to not break game immersion?

For me, I've only used the SMW v18 pack and only used the QoL mods from there, namely as the ones that allow pickup items to go straight to your bag and the ones that eliminate the need for HM slaves, which I found extremely useful yet did not sabotage gameplay. Other ones like changing weather/date or to relearn egg moves are not used unless I can't help it (e.g. changing the date to get Lapras instead of waiting for 5 in-game days)

I've recently come across the exp scaling option which would make training my army (pre-Circus, I have about 6 PC boxes' worth trained with the aid of 3 lucky eggs, most of which are useful in their own way since I can pick a suitable 6 for different boss/gym battles) of mons worlds easier and I won't get cash overload as much, but I see this as one that cheats the experience of grinding the game, and besides it'll mean I miss out on EV points. Of course, there's also the chance that mods can mess with the save file in case I need to upload them for troubleshooting. So far I'm not going to use it, but I believe I will at some point.

Your thoughts?

The only mod I've used so far is the SMW v18, and it was meant to make the game easier for me..I don't want to be behind everyone by the time E19 drops. I like how it's easier to keep track of stat boosts in the mod; it's quite convenient. I might use Debug soon.

I've used Waynolt's SMW mod (sans Exp Share full team, item ban), Personthing's follower Pokemon mod (up to E17) and the Speed Breed mod. I'm busy with school, lab and just managing my life in general, so these mods make it quicker for me to 

advance my game and also breeding because I like breeding from time to time but it's time consuming without a mod. Otherwise I don't want to cheat like get unavailable mons early on which might be game breaking (Reborn is supposed to be hard) unless it's for a specific run (such as my fairytale run) but even then I put some sweat by breeding all those shinies.

Tl;dr as long as it doesn't make the game easier in the battling point of view, I'm all up for mods 😊

When playing any "serious" playthrough I always try to play it as it was intended to, with no excessive ways to easy it. I mean, I could technically give myself any mon I wanted to, Mega Stones, 99 Big Nuggets, but then the fun would run out pretty quickly without the effort to get it. If Reborn is supposed to be difficult, I'll enjoy suffering it. That being said, I'm very cool with using mods that basically just save me time that would be wasted (e.g I'm grinding a specific mon and it faints, instead of going half a ward for a pokémon center just to heal that specific mon and keep grinding, heal it on the spot. Or maybe on the stance of  IVs and egg moves, I admit breeding (and the amount of free time/patience needed to hatch all these eggs) isn't my favorite part. So I try to keep the moves to which ones I could "legally" get (not givin Ice Beam to a Nidoking for example) but otherwise I'm good.

I also from time to time like to watch what could I get in some other playthrough abusing the mods too, lol.

My opinion is: in singleplayer, do whatever floats your boat.
I see nothing wrong with making the game harder for yourself if you're in for the challenge, or easier if you're only interested in the plot, or simply different for the sake of variety.

As for using them, I personally use QoL mods plus a few "cheat" ones; for example I'll cheat to up my mons' IVs into the 20s if they're lower (since my favourite mons are not exactly considered the strongest - looked them up - I'm not too willing to further handicap myself by letting them have bad IVs), or I'll cheat to get around a time-consuming quest that I had already solved the legit way in another playthrough.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:25 AM, GS BALL said:

Thank you for your work and support! 

🙂 

• 2 weeks later...